Best concerts you attended in 2009?

Bioshocked360

CAGiversary!
Feedback
11 (100%)
This thread's a little late, but I'm really interested to hear what everyone's top concerts of last year were.

Here's my list

1. Yeah Yeah Yeahs/YACHT
2. Modest Mouse/The Night Marchers
3. Pearl Jam/Ben Harper & Relentless7
4. Mogwai/Women
5. Matt & Kim/Amanda Blank
6. Built To Spill/Disco Doom/The Future of The Ghost
7. Sonic Youth/Awesome Color
8. Iron & Wine/Okkervil River
9. Bon Iver/Jenny Lewis
10. Death Cab For Cutie/Andrew Bird/Ra Ra Riot

So, what were yours?

Yeah Yeah Yeahs/Amanda Blank
Them Crooked Vultures
Silversun Pickups/Cage the Elephant

Giant Squid/Grayceon
The Dead Weather/Screaming Females
Isis/Pelican
Russian Circles
Sleepytime Gorilla Museum/Dub Trio
Arctic Monkeys
Melt-Banana/Melt-Banana Lite

There's no real order but the first three stand out. SGM and The Dead Weather may belong up there, though.

I got to see Our Lady Peace twice
(HeD) Pe like 4 times
Kottonmouth Kings 3 times
Stone Temple Pilots
Tech N9nE, Bizarre, Ice Cube, Dayton Family, Twiztid, and a few other bands at the gathering of the juggalos 09
and there were more there, but I can't remember... edit: mushroomhead is in there too!

But forget 09, it's about 2010 now. Alice in Chains, 3 OLP shows in a week (actually this is all the week of 3/14-3/19 it's gonna be out of hand!

I only saw four shows last year, but they were all pretty good.

Descending from best:

Atmosphere
Silversun Pickups
Common
Lupe Fiasco

Streetlight Manifesto put on a great show.
My Bloody Valentine was AMAZING, but we only got to see half the show due to some fuckING BULLSHIT.

Fun Fun Fun Fest blew everything else away. Got to see:

Danzig
The Jesus Lizard
The Black and White Years
Growing
some of fuck Buttons
Neon Indian
Mika Miko
Youth Brigade
D.R.I. (fucking intense as shit)
Melt-Banana
Gorilla Biscuits (who sucked)
Face to Face (SUUUUUCKED)

Of course there are tons of local shows I went to last year, but I'll have to think about this throughout the day to remember more big names.

1. Dave Matthews Band. Both nights in Pittsburgh. Night 2 was especially outstanding.
2. Paul McCartney in Atlanta
3. Nine Inch Nails and Jane's Addiction in Columbia, MD
4. Modest Mouse in Baltimore
5. Coldplay in Atlanta
6. U2 in Atlanta

Last edited by a moderator:
1. Nine Inch Nails & Jane's Addiction
2. Pearl Jam
3. Alice In Chains
4. Mastodon & High On Fire
5. 311
6. Metallica & Machine Head

1.MUTEMATH/As Tall as Lions - MUTEMATH broke things down, never seen a better performance.
2.Say Anything/Eisley/.moneen/Miniature Tigers - As Say Anything is my favorite band, this was the most fun I had all year.
3.Manchester Orchestra/Audrye Sessions/Fun.
4.Cursive/Man Man
5.MAE/Person L

Those are the ones I can remember off the top of my head.

1. Clutch
2. Baroness

I didn't see many shows myself.

However, I make it a habit to go see Clutch once a year at least. Imho they're one of the best bands of the last 20 years.

[quote name='rabbitt']Yeah Yeah Yeahs/Amanda Blank
Them Crooked Vultures
Silversun Pickups/Cage the Elephant

Giant Squid/Grayceon
The Dead Weather/Screaming Females
Isis/Pelican
Russian Circles
Sleepytime Gorilla Museum/Dub Trio
Arctic Monkeys
Melt-Banana/Melt-Banana Lite

There's no real order but the first three stand out. SGM and The Dead Weather may belong up there, though.[/QUOTE]I wish I could have gotten into the Dead Weather show here.

[quote name='Mr. Anderson']Streetlight Manifesto put on a great show.
My Bloody Valentine was AMAZING, but we only got to see half the show due to some fuckING BULLSHIT.

Fun Fun Fun Fest blew everything else away. Got to see:

Danzig
The Jesus Lizard
The Black and White Years
Growing
some of fuck Buttons
Neon Indian
Mika Miko
Youth Brigade
D.R.I. (fucking intense as shit)
Melt-Banana
Gorilla Biscuits (who sucked)
Face to Face (SUUUUUCKED)

Of course there are tons of local shows I went to last year, but I'll have to think about this throughout the day to remember more big names.[/QUOTE]Neon Indian was a great show. Tons of fun.

1. Edgar & Johnny Winter (Edgar was fantastic, Johnny was ok at best, but then again he can't even walk, lol).

2. Joe Bonamassa (He destroyed the place, ripping up the guitar).

3. Peter Frampton (If he didn't play his most popular work the show would of been good, but he did and it was a mixed bag of good and bad).

4. Robin Trower (A good performance).

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Sir_Fragalot']

3. Peter Frampton (If he didn't play his most popular work the show would of been good, but he didn't and it was a mixed bag of good and bad).

4. Robin Trower (A good performance).[/QUOTE]

Dayumn, I'd love to see them live.

Combichrist, with Dismantled, Aesthetic Perfection, and some terrible band that was a miserable failure as opening acts. Aesthetic Perfection was fucking amazing, Dismantled was really good, but Combichrist fucked shit up, and was overall insane.

[quote name='tcrash247']1. Nine Inch Nails & Jane's Addiction
2. Pearl Jam
3. Alice In Chains
4. Mastodon & High On Fire
5. 311
6. Metallica & Machine Head[/QUOTE]

You sir, are a bitch.

I didn't see any shows last year. :(

EDIT: Wait. I saw the Offspring in Milwaukee. Good show. Although it was hard to see anything from 80 miles away.

NIN|JA immediately comes to mind. I Know I went to a few more, but both bands were good as it is, but Street Sweeper Social Club as an opener? Jesus Christ, amazing!

Green Day was good, Seattle WA, although I was pretty wasted

I also enjoyed the Offspring this summer

I saw Hells Bells this fall

I would say the Offspring takes the cake this year

KISS Alive 35 in Pittsburgh PA. The show was amazing and it even converted a few of my friends that I had to drag with me into full fledged KISS fans.

[quote name='xeno']KMFDM
Emilie autumn
Prodigy
Flaming lips
pixies
Peganfest 2[/QUOTE]

You bastard. I got sick when Emilie Autumn was nearby. Missed the show. :( Wearing an Opheliac shirt right now even.

[quote name='sealionnn']Built to Spill w/ Disco Doom and Violent Soho. BTS has got to be one of the best bands live, and in general. ;)[/QUOTE]
Yep. I was ecstatic when I heard they were playing here.
[quote name='xeno']KMFDM
Emilie autumn
Prodigy
Flaming lips
pixies
Peganfest 2[/QUOTE]
I think The Flaming Lips are at the top of my list of bands I'd like to see.

NIN/Mew
2x (Rise Against/Rancid/Billy Talent & Rise Against at UB Spring Fest)
Muse free gig mtv awards

cant wait for flogging molly in march and BRMC in April

Pixies
My Bloody Valentine / Tool / Arctic Monkeys (festival)
The Gaslight Anthem
Of Montreal
Brand New
The Killers
Metallica

I was only able to see two shows this year. They were both amazing for different reasons. The first show was Richard cheese. Dr. Demento did the intro and the band played a flawless show. The second was the NIN|JA show. My buddy wanted to get there to late to see the opening act, then we would have missed the solo played with Tom's mouth. I had tickets for the Beastie Boys.

[quote name='dastly75']1.MUTEMATH/As Tall as Lions - MUTEMATH broke things down, never seen a better performance.[/QUOTE]

This show was one of only 3 concerts I went to last year, the others being

- Coldplay/Pete Yorn/Howling Bells (which was actually pretty damn good)
- The Pixies (which was so great for my inner Pixies freak that I almost peed my pants with how close I was to the stage at this show)

However, Mutemath put on SUCH a good show (ATAL weren't bad, either) that I have to say they were the best concert that I saw, and I was in a little place that holds about 500 people at capacity. It was incredible. I believe I saw what was the first show of that tour.........at least, I'm pretty sure it started in Cincy.

So to recap:
Fav Show - Mutemath
Fav Band - The Pixies

Didn't make it out to too many great shows last year... I was happy I got to see Blink-182, even though they weren't too amazing, and I really liked Warped Tour just because it was a long, crazy day with a bunch of close friends. Good times.

The Killers at Red Rocks was great- Such an awesome venue.

I also got to see the Pogues. Really cool to finally see these guys.

[quote name='georox']You bastard. I got sick when Emilie Autumn was nearby. Missed the show. :( Wearing an Opheliac shirt right now even.[/QUOTE]

you didn't miss much , just a bunch of girls playing/spanking/riding eatch other, girl on girl action and tea cup pyro, great stage perfomance from the girl.

[quote name='xeno']you didn't miss much , just a bunch of girls playing/spanking/riding eatch other, girl on girl action and tea cup pyro, great stage perfomance from the girl.[/QUOTE]
Didn't miss much?! Obviously your idea of a good show is different from mine!

Though to be fair last show I went to kinda had that in an unexpected way. Saw Cancer Bats and as they finished the song the lead singer looked up and said "Is...Is that couple fucking up their on the balcony?" The spotlight went onto the balcony and sure enough they were rushing for their clothes. "Man, it's quite an honor to be music you can fuck to!" Good show...

I didn't get the chance to go to even one....COME ON!!! Would have loved to see Kings of Leon...oh well ill make sure i don't miss out this year!

bread's done
Back