Rogue Galaxy $13.55, Sly 1 $7.33, Dragon Quest 8 $14.07,

KillerRamen

CAGiversary!
Feedback
13 (100%)
Rogue Galaxy: $13.55

http://www.amazon.com/Rogue-Galaxy-..._1?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1263756788&sr=1-1

Dragon Quest 8: $14.07

http://www.amazon.com/Dragon-Quest-VIII-Journey-Playstation-2/dp/B0009A4EV2/ref=pd_bxgy_vg_text_b

Sly Cooper: $7.33

http://www.amazon.com/Sly-Cooper-Th...000690ZE/ref=pd_ts_vg_33?ie=UTF8&s=videogames

Sly 3: $9.49

http://www.amazon.com/Sly-Honor-Amo...009F3E1I/ref=pd_ts_vg_30?ie=UTF8&s=videogames

Jak and Daxter: The Precursor Legacy: $10.95

http://www.amazon.com/Jak-Daxter-Playstation-2/dp/B00005R5PO/ref=pd_ts_vg_29?ie=UTF8&s=videogames

Call of Duty: World at War Final Fronts: $11.99

http://www.amazon.com/Call-Duty-Wor...001AWDG44/ref=pd_ts_vg_1?ie=UTF8&s=videogames

I also saw Raditia Stories for $9.99 @ Walmart.

Toys R Us YMMV

Sly 1: $9.99
Sly 2: $9.99
Sly 3: $9.99
We Love Katamari: $9.99

I was looking for some new PS2 game and I saw a few deals, thought I'd share. (damn enter button)

Last edited by a moderator:
Rogue Galaxy is most likely $9.99 at F.Y.E./Sam Goody stores- that's how much it is at mine. And DQVIII and Radiata Stories were $7 at Wal-Mart on Black Friday- that's probably why the OP spotted it at $10. I would say as far as stock goes, though, it's a bit YMMV.

Call of Duty and Sly seem to be steals at those prices, though! Thanks, OP. :D

Bought Rogue Galaxy for $15 on impulse about a year ago. I told one of the message boards on GameFAQs about it and they all advised against it. Apparently it reeeeeally drags.

[quote name='plasmabeam']Bought Rogue Galaxy for $15 on impulse about a year ago. I told one of the message boards on GameFAQs about it and they all advised against it. Apparently it reeeeeally drags.[/QUOTE]

some cags were fans. there was a decent thread for the game.

[quote name='plasmabeam']Bought Rogue Galaxy for $15 on impulse about a year ago. I told one of the message boards on GameFAQs about it and they all advised against it. Apparently it reeeeeally drags.[/QUOTE]

I would advise against taking advice from pre-teens on anything. The game was fabulous.

Nice price on Sly 3. I've been looking for a new copy and $10 is the right price for me.

Thanks OP!

How are the Sly games? Does stealth play a huge role in those games, like it does in Metal Gear or Splinter Cell?

Beautiful graphics and fun gameplay; but, like almost every JRPG, it definitely was way too long for its own good.

[quote name='VidPower']How are the Sly games? Does stealth play a huge role in those games, like it does in Metal Gear or Splinter Cell?[/QUOTE]

Stealth plays a big role, but the Sly series is far easier and more forgiving. I can't really remember being frustrated at any point.

[quote name='rapsodist']Stealth plays a big role, but the Sly series is far easier and more forgiving. I can't really remember being frustrated at any point.[/QUOTE]

I'm probably not as patient a gamer as you are. Sly 1 was frustrating for me because of the number of times I got killed in a level and having to restart the whole level again. Sly 3 was more my cup of tea. Die as many times as you like and you'll just keep playing from the point you got killed.

[quote name='AwRy108']Beautiful graphics and fun gameplay; but, like almost every JRPG, it definitely was way too long for its own good.[/QUOTE]

It was a little long, but still a great game & well worth playing. Those beautiful Level-5 cell shaded graphics should hold up really well too (same goes for DQ8 also, but I imagine more ppl have already played that one).

[quote name='consoleman']I'm probably not as patient a gamer as you are. Sly 1 was frustrating for me because of the number of times I got killed in a level and having to restart the whole level again. Sly 3 was more my cup of tea. Die as many times as you like and you'll just keep playing from the point you got killed.[/QUOTE]

Sly 1 was definitely the toughest in the series! I was glad they got rid of the whole horseshoe health system for Sly 2. Fighting was definitely tough in Sly; when I said it was easier and more forgiving, I was referring specifically to the stealth component.

[quote name='DarkSageRK']I would advise against taking advice from pre-teens on anything. The game was fabulous.[/QUOTE]
They do have a point, even though the game is good. I haven't gotten very far, but thats mainly due to the unbalanced gameplay. There are literally times where you or your allies will die in the first few seconds of battle unless you heal a lot. The AI always gets hurt and dies on this boss if you don't heal them. Last time I played was a few months ago and I was stuck here trying to get passed the overpowered enemies. It just gets frustrating because the game is more about running/healing than skill. Rather than blocking and dodging, you have to heal a lot of places or else you're guaranteed to die. When you're not up against cheap enemies, it's actually a lot of fun. Sometimes, though, you're up against brain dead enemies/bosses that are just boring to fight like this guy The environments are also way bigger/wider than they should be, as you can see in the videos. I also thought the story sucked, but I don't really care that much about stories. I'd say if you're a fan of RPGs, you should get it; Otherwise, watch/read some reviews and decide for yourself. From what I've played, I'd give it a 7.5-8 out of 10.

DQ8 also has a problem of being unfairly difficult in the beginning. I just gave up when I couldn't even get that far into the cave in the beginning of the game. BTW, I think DQ8 can be found for $10, and I think it was at that price before at a few stores and on Amazon.

As for the Sly series, I got both Sly 2 and 3 for $10 each and they were well worth $20+(for someone like me who usually buys games at $20). I think the only problem someone may have with these games is that they have a type of mini-game feel at times because you do a lot of different things in them. Also, I found that Sly 3 ended a lot sooner than I expected, but maybe that's just me.

[quote name='0192837465']Are these greatest hits versions?[/QUOTE]
I'm sure they are.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='DarkSageRK']I would advise against taking advice from pre-teens on anything. The game was fabulous.[/QUOTE]

I agree I own Rogue Galaxy and I love it.

I just bought a new copy of Rogue Galaxy off ebay for 12.55. Havent opened it yet but I'll get to it.

As far as other games go you can get Radiata Stories right now from gohastings.com for pretty cheap.

Resident Evil 4 is also there used along with Final Fantasy X or XII if you've missed out on those.

One more that should be mentioned is BEYOND GOOD AND EVIL. It's the greatest hits version but it's also a steal at $10 new at Amazon. You order is from someone else but it's fulfilled by Amazon.

[quote name='argyle']It was a little long, but still a great game & well worth playing.[/QUOTE]

I would agree if time was standing still; but seeing as none of us are getting any younger and our backlogs keep getting larger, here's my recommendation:
1) buy a used copy
2) play the game for 5 hours
3) imagine playing those 5 hours over again 10 more times in different settings
4) return the game if #3 doesn't sound like fun to you

...in fact, the aforementioned approach will likely work for 95% of the JRPG's on the market.

Dragon Quest went down in price to $13.55 and is now sold by a different vendor. Still fulfilled by amazon though so Prime works.

Still on the fence about Dragon Quest and Rogue Galaxy...Buy it new? or gohastings which is cheaper....

[quote name='AwRy108']I would agree if time was standing still; but seeing as none of us are getting any younger and our backlogs keep getting larger, here's my recommendation:
1) buy a used copy

...in fact, the aforementioned approach will likely work for 95% of the JRPG's on the market.[/QUOTE]

Not for nothing, but you obviously don't like JRPGs, so of course you found Rogue Galaxy to be dull. I'm sure people find FPS games to be dull (you shoot people in different settings). And sports games to be dull (you just play the same game all the time, just against different opponents).

[quote name='bigdaddybruce44']Not for nothing, but you obviously don't like JRPGs, so of course you found Rogue Galaxy to be dull. I'm sure people find FPS games to be dull[/QUOTE]

But you have to admit, that is an accurate description of JRPGs. The only difference is what they do to add depth and difficulty into the game. Pokemon for example, did a fantastic job. Rogue galaxy tries to add monster variety, but it's not enough.

edit: sorry but i have to mention chrono trigger too, definitely introduces an amazing attack combination system.

[quote name='bigdaddybruce44']Not for nothing, but you obviously don't like JRPGs, so of course you found Rogue Galaxy to be dull. I'm sure people find FPS games to be dull (you shoot people in different settings). And sports games to be dull (you just play the same game all the time, just against different opponents).[/QUOTE]

You're right: my interest in the genre has really decreased, especially now that more Western RPG's are coming to the consoles. I've played a handful or JRPG's, and--other than the Final Fantasy series--rarely have I walked away with a feeling of contentment for the time invested.

That said, my little guide wasn't meant as a biased opinion to bash the genre; in fact, I find those 4 steps to apply quite accurately to the majority of the genre. Most fans of the JRPG already realize what they're getting into, but curious on-lookers deserve to know what their time commitment requires before spending hard-earned cash.

Bought DQ8 for 10 bucks at Walmart...haven't played it yet!

Rogue Galaxy is good, unbalanced, but good.

Sly 1 for ~7 bucks? Looks like I found my filler for another order!

ha

[quote name='AwRy108']I would agree if time was standing still; but seeing as none of us are getting any younger and our backlogs keep getting larger, here's my recommendation:
1) buy a used copy

...in fact, the aforementioned approach will likely work for 95% of the JRPG's on the market.[/QUOTE]

I think that sums up every game there is.

[quote name='anathema728']But you have to admit, that is an accurate description of JRPGs. The only difference is what they do to add depth and difficulty into the game. Pokemon for example, did a fantastic job. Rogue galaxy tries to add monster variety, but it's not enough.

edit: sorry but i have to mention chrono trigger too, definitely introduces an amazing attack combination system.[/QUOTE]

Most people do not play JRPGs because of their innovative battle systems... most play them because they are fond of their (oft-anime-esque) storylines. When they do have better-than-average and/or unique gameplay mechanics, which more often than not equals a fresh take on a battle system, players and critics tend to laud this aspect simply because this is not what JRPGs are known for... at least when it comes to innovation. With JRPGs, the innovation comes from the storylines and settings: Parasite Eve with (then) modern New York City, Eternal Sonata with the (fictionalized) life of Chopin, and yes, Rogue Galaxy with their space pirates.

And if we're being honest, most JRPGs fall into one of two cams when it comes to battle mechanics: 1, the Final Fantasy/Dragon Quest school, or 2, the Star Ocean/Grandia school. Sure there are exceptions to this rule (such as Infinite Undiscovery, which further builds upon innovations started with Final Fantasy XII), but these are by no means the future of JRPGs... at least, not for now.

Agreed. The was an AMAZING game. Very Very Fun Combat System, all real time.

[quote name='zenintrude']...there are exceptions to this rule (such as Infinite Undiscovery, which further builds upon innovations started with Final Fantasy XII), but these are by no means the future of JRPGs... at least, not for now.[/QUOTE]

Which is why I ask: why isn't Square using the FFXII battle system for all future Final Fantasy titles? It was such a fresh take on JRPG combat, and it actually made the game feel much more interactive.

[quote name='zenintrude']Most people do not play JRPGs because of their innovative battle systems[/QUOTE]

But I don't feel like mashing one button to watch some cutscenes.

I agree but there is no depth in rogue galaxy, I could not stand it. I said what entices people is the depth of the game. Pokemon has a very simple battle system, turn based 1v1 rosters, but the battle system doesn't get boring. You had to lower pokemon hp, use a pokeball. Different "bosses" required different rosters, etc. Required to catch pokemon to learn certain moves to cut down trees/boulders. I could go on.

FF12 is another example of a good idea that lacks depth. Your characters fight by themselves, there is almost no interaction. You can pretend to control them. I don't consider ff12 a classic JRPG, there's no "battle arena" that you are locked into.

Ever play baten kaitos? turn based party system that chains cards together for attacks? Also another example of a good idea that lacks depth, there was nothing beyond trying to do the same thing over and over (chain attack cards). The only depth was collecting cards(more like randomly being given) and editing decks.

bread's done
Back