Rogue Galaxy $13.55, Sly 1 $7.33, Dragon Quest 8 $14.07,

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#31 mkelehan

mkelehan

Xbox Live Arcade Fiend

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 January 2010 - 04:19 PM

I would agree if time was standing still; but seeing as none of us are getting any younger and our backlogs keep getting larger, here's my recommendation:
1) buy a used copy
2) play the game for 5 hours
3) imagine playing those 5 hours over again 10 more times in different settings
4) return the game if #3 doesn't sound like fun to you

...in fact, the aforementioned approach will likely work for 95% of the JRPG's on the market.

I think that sums up every game there is.

#32 TheThoughtlessOne

TheThoughtlessOne

Blame Jon Irenicus

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 January 2010 - 04:20 PM

I think everything about rogue galaxy was great, one of my top 3 rpg's on ps2

#33 zenintrude

zenintrude

habitual line stepper

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 January 2010 - 04:29 PM

But you have to admit, that is an accurate description of JRPGs. The only difference is what they do to add depth and difficulty into the game. Pokemon for example, did a fantastic job. Rogue galaxy tries to add monster variety, but it's not enough.

edit: sorry but i have to mention chrono trigger too, definitely introduces an amazing attack combination system.

Most people do not play JRPGs because of their innovative battle systems... most play them because they are fond of their (oft-anime-esque) storylines. When they do have better-than-average and/or unique gameplay mechanics, which more often than not equals a fresh take on a battle system, players and critics tend to laud this aspect simply because this is not what JRPGs are known for... at least when it comes to innovation. With JRPGs, the innovation comes from the storylines and settings: Parasite Eve with (then) modern New York City, Eternal Sonata with the (fictionalized) life of Chopin, and yes, Rogue Galaxy with their space pirates.

And if we're being honest, most JRPGs fall into one of two cams when it comes to battle mechanics: 1, the Final Fantasy/Dragon Quest school, or 2, the Star Ocean/Grandia school. Sure there are exceptions to this rule (such as Infinite Undiscovery, which further builds upon innovations started with Final Fantasy XII), but these are by no means the future of JRPGs... at least, not for now.
YOU'RE GOING TO A NIGHTMARE PROM!

Posted Image Posted Image

my trade list... lots of games for most systems

#34 Mattx510

Mattx510

Posted 18 January 2010 - 07:02 PM

I would advise against taking advice from pre-teens on anything. The game was fabulous.

Agreed. The was an AMAZING game. Very Very Fun Combat System, all real time.

#35 AwRy108

AwRy108

Posted 18 January 2010 - 07:39 PM

...there are exceptions to this rule (such as Infinite Undiscovery, which further builds upon innovations started with Final Fantasy XII), but these are by no means the future of JRPGs... at least, not for now.

Which is why I ask: why isn't Square using the FFXII battle system for all future Final Fantasy titles? It was such a fresh take on JRPG combat, and it actually made the game feel much more interactive.

#36 anathema728

anathema728

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 January 2010 - 10:28 PM

Most people do not play JRPGs because of their innovative battle systems

But I don't feel like mashing one button to watch some cutscenes.

I agree but there is no depth in rogue galaxy, I could not stand it. I said what entices people is the depth of the game. Pokemon has a very simple battle system, turn based 1v1 rosters, but the battle system doesn't get boring. You had to lower pokemon hp, use a pokeball. Different "bosses" required different rosters, etc. Required to catch pokemon to learn certain moves to cut down trees/boulders. I could go on.

FF12 is another example of a good idea that lacks depth. Your characters fight by themselves, there is almost no interaction. You can pretend to control them. I don't consider ff12 a classic JRPG, there's no "battle arena" that you are locked into.

Ever play baten kaitos? turn based party system that chains cards together for attacks? Also another example of a good idea that lacks depth, there was nothing beyond trying to do the same thing over and over (chain attack cards). The only depth was collecting cards(more like randomly being given) and editing decks.