Photo
- - - - -

'Apple' fires Employee for Volunteering for Haiti Relief

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#31 dmaul1114

dmaul1114

Posted 25 January 2010 - 10:15 PM

It's a noble cause. But at the end of the day taking a day (or days) off from work is taking a day (or days) off from work. Policies about leave/vacation time etc. don't disappear when you're missing work for a noble cause. You got to go through official channels and get the time off approved and stick to what ever silly protocol is in place.

3DS Friend Code: 2595-0524-8826

Bluray Collection
DVD Collection

#32 caltab

caltab

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 January 2010 - 10:18 PM

If I'm reading something wrong, it sounds like he got the okay to leave the six days. But neglected to follow the technicality of calling in each day to confirm that the plan for six days off was still ongoing. It just sounds excessive to fire him for not calling in when he was given permission to take the time off.

If that's not the case or I'm giving him too much benefit of the doubt, then that is my fault.

You probably are reading correctly, which means he didn't get fired for going to Haiti as the sensationalizing title suggests, but for failure to follow simple directions everyone else manages to follow. The headline shouldn't be fired for taking part in the relief effort, but fired for not following direction. It sounds like the employee opted not to take vacation, but took sick days and didn't follow proper protocol(a procedure that makes perfect sense in the context of day to day illnesses). If I had my own employee's I probably wouldn't want them around very long if they couldn't follow rules and procedures. Seems like the OP/fired employee are just trying to draw on people's emotions on Haiti when that isn't really even the issue. Judging by people's responses here, not many are buying into that.

#33 seen

seen

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 January 2010 - 10:38 PM

I agree, anyone can find a noble cause to leave for a week. There are hundreds of national disasters that happen a year you really cant just leave for a week and expect your job to just understand why they have to fill your position for a undisclosed amount of time.

Lets be honest here, Haiti is going to be messed up for quite some time, why did this guy have to drop everything and vanish for a week? He couldnt request the next week off?

Just seems like he was a little too eager to play hero and didnt take the necessary steps before he left. Apple does have the right to fire this guy but I hope they dont.

EDIT: By the way I am interested in knowing if this guy even attempted to find a replacement for himself for the week? Or did he really just send a email and not show up for 6 days. I am sure Apple would have let him go if he had actually taken the time to go through the proper channels. Just sounds like he thought this cause was so noble they he could ignore all responsibility.

I was discussing this the other day with a friend and we came up with pretty much the same thing; disasters do happen but you can't just up and leave your job to volunteer unless it is clearly OK'd by management. The guys heart was in the right place but his priorities were messed up thinking his job would "wait" for him.

#34 Access_Denied

Access_Denied

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 January 2010 - 04:24 AM

The problem is that Apple isn't a brand, it's a cult.

He's right. You guys have no idea what you're getting into. Overlord Steve will be most displeased.

Seriously though, this is all just company policy. Should this guy have been fired? Probably not. One of his bosses should have stuck up for him. But his boss is either a pussy a kiss-ass. Either way, it's not really Apple's fault that they have grade A douche-bag employees. (Even though they are held responsible.) A human being who isn't a dick just needs to go back and fix this.

EDIT: Soodmeg does make a good point though. But as I said, you'd think that they'd cut him a little slack.

#35 neocisco

neocisco

I am Groot!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 January 2010 - 06:35 AM

I thought Apple was the warm and fuzzy computer company and Microsoft was the cold, faceless corporation.

Hah, Apple wants all the money just as much as MS but they have twice the ego.

Now playing (& watching):
:dvd:-Robot Chicken season 4

:dvd:-Blade Anime
My tradelist:http://www.cheapassg...ad.php?t=116943
35bb9lx.gif

#36 Koggit

Koggit

almost sorry

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 January 2010 - 06:56 AM

nah, ms isnt anywhere near as greedy as apple...

but they're both for-profit companies. greed's fine.

#37 GamerLina

GamerLina

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 February 2010 - 11:10 AM

hey it's good and all but what's the point if he goes and work for them again....

#38 lordwow

lordwow

Fmr. VP of the OTT

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 February 2010 - 02:16 PM

My company would fire him too.
Currently Playing: Borderlands 2 (360), Black Ops (360)

Posted Image

#39 camoor

camoor

Jams on foot fires

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 February 2010 - 03:26 PM

If I'm reading something wrong, it sounds like he got the okay to leave the six days. But neglected to follow the technicality of calling in each day to confirm that the plan for six days off was still ongoing. It just sounds excessive to fire him for not calling in when he was given permission to take the time off..

That's the way I read it too.

I pity anyone who sides with Apple without being the least bit interested in how phone service works in an earthquake-ridden third-world environment, or why obeying rule #524 of the Apple retail micromanagment guidelines trumps rescuing people who are trapped under rubble.

You read responses in a thread like this and realize that America has more serious underlying issues.

#40 shadylane

shadylane

Believe...

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 February 2010 - 04:19 PM

Very well said. I rather save a human being's life who has been living, experiencing emotions, breathing the same air, being something on this earth than worry about a 10 dollar an hour paying job...and then you wonder why americans have so many issues.

That's the way I read it too.

I pity anyone who sides with Apple without being the least bit interested in how phone service works in an earthquake-ridden third-world environment, or why obeying rule #524 of the Apple retail micromanagment guidelines trumps rescuing people who are trapped under rubble.

You read responses in a thread like this and realize that America has more serious underlying issues.

Shadylane310.png

33836.png

#41 bigdaddybruce44

bigdaddybruce44

Murders & Executions

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 February 2010 - 05:59 PM

As others have said, he didn't follow protocol. Oh, well, it happens. I doubt anyone is "siding with Apple." We're just applying simple logic and reasoning. This stuff happens all the time. You don't go to your job for whatever reason, you don't follow the rules on how to go about such a thing, and you get fired. And it isn't like some kind of force beyond his control, like getting stranded or hurt, stopped him. He made a conscious decision to go to Haiti and not follow proper protocol.