Do you have your TV mounted to the wall?

3kingdoms

CAGiversary!
Are the wires neatly organized and running thru the wall as well? If so how much will a setup like this cost me? Is it possible for a monkey brain like myself to do the installation myself?

Monoprice.com, aside from selling phenomenal cheap cables, also sells the tv wall mount both my dad and I have used. Fantastic. It was like 50 bucks plus like 20 shipping. I mounted it to the wall with a friend (since my wife is weaksauce and can't help lift the mount). I highly recommend doing this with someone who is able to life (and hold) 50-75 pounds for about ten to fifteen minutes (while you secure it to the stud in the wall).

Easy peasy.

I have mine resting on a table/dresser thing. The wall mounts seemed like too much of a hassle. I did look into them; my biggest gripe is you must not skimp out on them. A lot of the wall mounts have shoddy construction and welds which could break if a sudden load was put onto them (moving the TV at a weird angle or too fast etc...).

Mine is on the wall now. It really doesn't matter to me either way,but I got a wall mount for free. The only thing that sucks is it don't tilt or do anything. Its one of the older ones. That was another reason it was free. xD

[quote name='Rocko']I don't really trust wall mounts. Seems too dangerous. I have mine on a dresser.[/QUOTE]

There is no reason not to trust them. As long as you drill into the studs and install it properly there is nothing that should cause any kind of problem. Your wall studs can hold far more than the 60 or so pounds that a TV weighs.

i have installed a bunch of these. As long as you hit the studs and have a buddy to help you hold it, shouldn't be a issue at all. A trick we found fer running cable, is to put the mount on yer wall and find a place next to yer stud where ya want the wires to come from. then most people have a small table a few feet below the mount to hold their dvd players and game systems.

Ya drill a hole where ya want the wires to come out and where ya want them to enter from behind yer little cabnit\table below and then run a pvc pipe between the two points behind the wall. This makes it much simpler to fish cables in an out without them catching. And if yer wall is full of insolation, after it is done, prevents a huge mess when changing devices.

Can't since I have an LCD Rear Projection set currently. But even when I eventually get thin TV down the road (in no rush) I don't have much interest in it since I still need a rack for my cablebox/dvd, audio receiver, blu ray player, game console(s) etc. Might as well just get a TV stand and put the TV on top and all the other stuff underneath on the shelves.

But as with mounting anything heavy to a wall, it's not that difficult to do. Just need to find the studs in the wall, and get the screws etc. in the center of them and have a helper to hold the stuff while you attach it.

[quote name='Frankski']Monoprice.com, aside from selling phenomenal cheap cables, also sells the tv wall mount both my dad and I have used. Fantastic. It was like 50 bucks plus like 20 shipping. I mounted it to the wall with a friend (since my wife is weaksauce and can't help lift the mount). I highly recommend doing this with someone who is able to life (and hold) 50-75 pounds for about ten to fifteen minutes (while you secure it to the stud in the wall).

Easy peasy.[/QUOTE]

It seems to me that it would be easier to mount the bracket to the wall, then attach the TV, that way nobody has to hold the thing for 15 minutes. :/

Also, Monoprice has all the in wall mounts, so you can run all your cables through the wall if you need to.

[quote name='CaseyRyback']There is no reason not to trust them. As long as you drill into the studs and install it properly there is nothing that should cause any kind of problem. Your wall studs can hold far more than the 60 or so pounds that a TV weighs.[/QUOTE]

They say that a one inch screw in a stud will hold several hundred pounds, so I think any LCD TV should be OK. I'd be more worried about the quality of the mount.

I just wall mounted my TV in August and haven't had a problem yet. I did not have studs to drill into so I used the supplied drywall mounts and screws. Nice and secure and you can do it yourself if you mount the bracket first and then put the TV on it. I have my wires running outside the wall and will eventually buy a cable management system to hide the wires when I stop being lazy and cheap.

You don't have to run wires through the wall. There are various covers for your wires, like some that are meant to be painted the same color as your wall.

I just keep mine on a homemade stand. The base is large enough where it would take a meteor strike to tip it over.

My shit has been wall mounted since January of 2004 biatch! Wires run through the wall - It's the only way to go, IMO.

I'd definitely suggest mounting, but as stated, you do need someone to help you get the TV on the mount. Also make sure you mount into the studs; use a good stud finder so you don't end up putting a bunch of unnecessary holes in the wall. If you or a friend have a modicum of expertise with a drill, you shouldn't have a problem securing the mount. Just be careful when you put the TV on the mount.

As for the wires, I'd put them through the wall if you won't have a stand below with components (or if it's a small stand with a few components). If, like me, you have a ton of stuff on a huge entertainment center, I'd just use some cheap covers that neatly organize the wires.

[quote name='CaseyRyback']There is no reason not to trust them. As long as you drill into the studs and install it properly there is nothing that should cause any kind of problem. Your wall studs can hold far more than the 60 or so pounds that a TV weighs.[/QUOTE]

That's the key. Just get a 99cent stud finder at home depot or lowes, and get to drilling. I used a snake to cover the cables. If you;re too cheap for a snake, then a few velcro strips should work just as well.

[quote name='crunchb3rry']You don't have to run wires through the wall. There are various covers for your wires, like some that are meant to be painted the same color as your wall.
[/QUOTE]

This. Our TV is wallmounted and we got special covers for the cables that you can paint as the same color as the wall.

I'd be scared to have a tv on the kind that extend out from the wall. Extending from wall = lever arm with expensive tv providing the force at the end. The longer the lever arm the less force it would take to rip off the wall. But i'm sure theres probably no chance they would ever end up coming off the wall, i'd still be too scared to try it.

I have my TV mounted about 4.5 feet off the ground, and instead of worrying about snaking all my cables through the wall (a bit of a hassle with all the electronics constantly going in and out of my entertainment center) I have them grouped together through tubing.

2785440906_ecab3c9c70_b.jpg

It's cheap, and doesn't detract much from the overall look. Here's a link. We're talking about $5-10, and it works like a charm.

Anyone thinking of doing this remember to also run a electric outlet to where the wall mount is so the power cord from the tv is plugged in to this outlet NOT running the tv power cord in the wall to a lower outlet as most if not in all states this is a possible fire issue that homeowners insurance wouldn't cover if something happens.

My parents have their plasma tv hanging on the wall out in the living room. I have my LCD hanging on the wall in my room, too. I definitely recommend it. Although only the plasma has the cables running through the wall, since my dad is a neat freak. I didn't care enough to do it on my tv.

It's very easy to install. You just have to have some patience, because it will take you a while on your first time. Just be sure you're hitting the studs and you'll be fine.

This.. My brother helped me mount my 58 inch plasma tv on to the wall. 3 months later it's still hanging. That monster was a bitch because it was huge!

I gotta figure out what to do about the cables. Lifehacker.com had some interesting ideas.

After experiencing the earthquake in Seattle back in 2001 or so and seeing all the things that fell off the walls at home and in school there's no way I'm going to hang my TV on a wall, drilled into studs or not.

Yes, a wall mounted TV looks very good (if the cables are managed cleanly) and it would likely be safe in most cases, but I'm still not going to be taking that sort of risk.

Our plasma is hung on the wall. During construction of our home, we prewired everything so that no wires show at all. The rest of the TVs we have sit on furniture.

If you do wire after the fact, you have two options. 1) you punch a hole in the wall above and below and pull the cable down (due to studs you wont be able to go horizontally across) or 2) do what others have posted and get casing but then you take away the appeal of putting it on the wall in the first place.

Mounted on the wall and then the cables go to a shelf at about the same height that's 6 inches to the right. Cables are velcroed together to keep them out of reach of little hands.

You could also spend around 100 bucks and just buy one of the TV stands that you can mount your TV to. I've been thinking of doing this for my 42 inch instead of putting it on the wall.

I live in an apartment, so I can't.

When I do own a home...I might. Dunno what kind of setup I'll have.

I have a 50" plasma right now. My next TV will likely be another plasma, and will definitely be larger. When the cables are done up right, wall-mounted TV's look great.

[quote name='DarkNessBear']I do. But it was hard finding the studs, had to stab a bunch of holes in the wall with a knife till I found one.[/QUOTE]

A stud finder is not that expensive.

[quote name='DarkNessBear']I do. But it was hard finding the studs, had to stab a bunch of holes in the wall with a knife till I found one.[/QUOTE]

You might be a redneck if your "stud finder" is a steak knife.

Jeff Foxworthy feel free to borrow this.

Mounted a 42" to my bedroom wall this summer with my wife. Bought some shelves to hang under it that concel most of the wires. Next step is a cover for the last part of it. Love it but a little fear it will be coming down.

[quote name='cdeener']You could also spend around 100 bucks and just buy one of the TV stands that you can mount your TV to. I've been thinking of doing this for my 42 inch instead of putting it on the wall.[/QUOTE]Thjis is what I did with my 52" TV. Had the TV stand that would work for it, though they also had a mount that attached to it that brought it up close to wall-mount height, plus it rotates. Separate purchase, of course. Worked well as a compromise, though it was a PITA to get up on the mount.

No, I think it would be rather difficult to do with my 13" SD TV. Lol. It's a Samsung GXTV, still works great.

bread's done
Back