Accepting Paypal friends & family/gifting payments on CAG. (Updated 6/15/2016)

shrike4242

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1043 (100%)
(Update: 6/15/2016)

• Friends & Family/Gifting via Paypal will be allowed for all digital transactions (Digital games, codes, currency, etc).
  • Friends & Family/Gifting via Paypal is still prohibited for physical items. You can not force the buyer to pay your fees either. You have the option to choose another form of payment if you do not want to accept Paypal or remove your trade post.
  • Buyers can leave negative feedback if seller accepts Paypal(physical items only) but forces you to use friends & family/gifting only. Retaliatory negative feedback from the seller will be remove upon request from a moderator.
  • Sellers that consistently have negative feedback due to this reason will be suspended from the trade forum.

Recently, there's been a trend to send Personal Paypal payments as a gift to other CAGs for the purchase of items. This is done to prevent the charging of fees to the recipient for the Paypal payment. Unfortunately, this is against Paypal's User Agreement, in section 8, under Fees.

Paypal User Agreement:
https://cms.paypal.com/us/cgi-bin/?&cmd=_render-content&content_ID=ua/UserAgreement_full&locale.x=en_US

Specifically:

From Paypal UA on Fees said:
Fees are based on whether you are making a Purchase Payment or a Personal Payment.

A Purchase Payment is a payment received for any of the following:

• A sale of goods or services (a “Commercial Transaction”);
  • A payment you received after using the “Request Money” tab on the PayPal website;
  • A payment you received for a donation; or
  • A payment that is sent to, or received by, a business or other commercial or non-profit entity.
A Personal Payment is:

• Amounts sent to a friend or family member without a purchase. Personal Payments include, but are not limited to, sending a gift to a friend, or paying a friend back for your share of a lunch bill; and
  • Personal Payments must be sent between two individual persons (not to or from a business).
For Purchase Payments, the recipient of the payment will always pay the fee.

For Personal Payments, the following applies:
-The fee is based on the Payment Method,
-It is free to send a Personal Payment to someone in the United States if you use your bank or balance as the exclusive Payment Method*. All other Personal Payments include a fee as noted below.
-The fee is paid by either the sender or recipient. Not both.
-The sender of the payment determines who pays the fee. At the time the sender is completing the payment, the sender is given the option to either pay the fee or have the recipient pay the fee.

Additional fees apply if you are sending or receiving money to or from a country outside the United States, or transacting in a foreign currency.
If you use your credit card as the Payment Method for a Personal Payment, you may be charged a cash-advance fee by your credit card company.
*In some instances, Personal Payment pricing may not be available, the payment will be considered a Purchase Payment and the Purchase Payment fees shall apply. This may occur on non-PayPal websites that offer you the ability to send a payment from your PayPal account.
If you're making a purchase for an item, the payment has to be sent as a Purchase payment and not a Personal payment. If a payment is sent for a purchase as a Personal payment, Paypal won't do anything for dealing with a chargeback, so it's for the sender's protection to make sure payments are sent as Purchase payments. If you file a dispute with Paypal over a purchase and the payment is a Personal payment, they won't do anything to resolve it.

Paypal fees are easy to calculate, and there's a number of website that show both sides of the transactions for money sent and money received. One I used to frequently (http://www.rolbe.com/paypal.htm)is no longer online due to the owner passing away. Try using one of these instead:

http://thefeecalculator.com/
http://www.gregledet.net/ppfcm.html
http://salecalc.com/paypal

It shows how much needs to be sent to have the recipient receive a certain amount of money, as well as how much the recipient will receive and how much the Paypal fees are.

In the negotiations for the price of an item or items, please work out who should pay the Paypal fees in working out the terms of the deal, though Paypal obviously collects the fee off the recipient's side of the transaction. The Paypal calculator site above is very easy to see how much the sender should be sending to have the recipient net out an amount after fees.

There's also other payment methods that can be used in lieu of Paypal, as well.

EDIT:
As we've gone through the user agreement multiple on the Personal Payment issue, it was brought up again that the payee on Paypal payments can't surcharge for the use of Paypal fees on the payer. The payee pays the fees on Paypal for Purchase payments.

No surcharge section of the Paypal UA:

Paypal UA said:
4.5 No Surcharges. You agree that you will not impose a surcharge or any other fee for accepting PayPal as a payment method. You may charge a handling fee in connection with the sale of goods or services, as long as the handling fee does not operate as a surcharge and is not higher than the handling fee you charge for non-PayPal transactions.
You cannot explicitly charge Paypal fees as a surcharge for a transaction. If the price for the item is listed, it can't have Paypal fees added as a surcharge. Payees pay the fees with Paypal and it can't be explicitly added to a purchase cost.

EDIT - Addendum about Amazon Payments:

For people that would rather not deal with Paypal, Amazon offers a similar service with Amazon Payments:
https://payments.amazon.com/sdui/sdui/index.htm

EDIT - Addendum about Steam multi-packs and PSN gameshares:

jp0213 said:
I've contacted both Paypal and Steam about the gift payment and gifting of games (Steam has a thing about extra copies not being able to be sold).

Paypal

Thank you for contacting PayPal.

Hi, my name is Sonny. I appreciate you sending us an email regarding
your concern and I will be happy to assist you with your questions. Let
me explain this further.

Since the payments are coming from your friends, it is perfectly fine to
receive Personal payments. As long as the sender initiates the Personal
payment, you do not have to worry about your account because there will
be no restrictions.

Thanks for sharing your concerns with us. We value what you have to say.
If you have time, you can learn more about using PayPal by visiting
www.paypal.com/101.

Sincerely,
Sonny
PayPal Consumer Support
PayPal, an eBay Company

Original Message Follows:
------------------------
Form Message
customer subject: Does this qualify for use of personal payments?
customer message: Additional Information:
'I play lots of games on Steam and they have these 4-pack deals where you buy a game and it gives you one and 3 others to send to friends. I've been the one doing the up front purchase and they've been using Paypal Personal Payments to send the money they owe me for their part. Is that a use that qualifies for personal payments? I don't want to get my account or theirs locked out for improper use so before we do another one I wanted to get verification.'
Steam

I finally got a reply back from Steam:

Hello jp0213, Thank you for contacting Steam Support. This rule in the subscriber agreement is meant to prevent the abuse of this gifting system (i.e. user purchases a "copy" of left 4 dead from an online auction and instead gets a gift pass). We understand that friends or groups of people often go-in on four packs of subscriptions and will not automatically disable any of your accounts for it. If you have any further questions, please let us know - we will be happy to assist you.
shrike4242 said:
Thank you for taking the time to check with Paypal and Steam, jp0213. Good fact to know that they consider Steam 4-packs to be worthy of Personal payments for "repayment" of the purchaser's copies of the game.

I think gameshares would probably work the same way to Paypal, since it's the same analogy of the up-front purchase of an item and the "repayment" to cover the share of the item, like the "repayment of lunch debt" analogy Paypal themselves use.

Last edited by a moderator:
Alright, I guess I'll be the one to ask: Why the sudden concern with this? I think most people understand the risks of gifting payments, and it's always by mutual consent. Was there some sort of complaint from paypal?

This is a bummer. I too am curious as to why this is now an issue. Seeing this I'll have to reprice some of my items since I was listing them with the assumption that it would be paid via a gift payment.

[quote name='bvharris']Alright, I guess I'll be the one to ask: Why the sudden concern with this? I think most people understand the risks of gifting payments, and it's always by mutual consent. Was there some sort of complaint from paypal?[/QUOTE]

Shrike left a message in my thread where I was asking for gift paypal for a PS3. Of course I would have accepted non-gift paypal and it would have only been 8 bucks more for a close to $300 purchase. I can see not doing gift for that purchase, but it's annoying for an item that might only cost a few bucks. Oh well, rules are rules I suppose.

[quote name='MikeBastard']Shrike left a message in my thread where I was asking for gift paypal for a PS3. Of course I would have accepted non-gift paypal and it would have only been 8 bucks more for a close to $300 purchase. I can see not doing gift for that purchase, but it's annoying for an item that might only cost a few bucks. Oh well, rules are rules I suppose.[/QUOTE]

So we can blame you? :D

[quote name='MikeBastard']Shrike left a message in my thread where I was asking for gift paypal for a PS3. Of course I would have accepted non-gift paypal and it would have only been 8 bucks more for a close to $300 purchase. I can see not doing gift for that purchase, but it's annoying for an item that might only cost a few bucks. Oh well, rules are rules I suppose.[/QUOTE]

Wow, you wanted people to gift you hundreds of dollars? lol

If people were actually wanting/expecting this then I can totally understand banning such payments here. I thought people only used it for when they were buying a game or something, at least that's the only time I expected gift payments. Sure as heck wouldn't expect people to do that for the DSi I have been trying to sell, heh.

Paypal takes fees because they do the transaction, but they also protect the seller and the buyer in that case; with gifts, they don't. Use the normal one. It helps!

I prefer to pay others with the fees on top of the purchase, honestly, and try to suggest the same (although I have also suggested gifting as an option).

I kind of like this rule. It keeps us honest.

And yeah, I'm a goody two-shoes.

This is why I've been trying to promote Amazon Payments for so long, but nobody wants to use it. There are no fees for either side.

Yea, I have a student account too and the only option is to send money which I think is a gift. I don't mind taking the risk of sending it as gift but I don't know what to do if gifting is not allowed anymore :(

[quote name='Reikon']This is why I've been trying to promote Amazon Payments for so long, but nobody wants to use it. There are no fees for either side.[/QUOTE]

humm .. news to me .. I will look into this ^_^

I think it should be user's choice, both sides, if people want to put their necks out, let them. Long as they know they will get no support from paypal/cag if anything were to happen.
People are going to sneak around this rule regardless. I know it's made to keep less bull shit from coming from this, but if anything, I'd just leave this sticky as a warning rather than a rule.

I personally haven't had in issue with people on here yet so I have payed with gift payments. Saves me money and that is all that matters at this point.

[quote name='Empyreal']I think it should be user's choice, both sides, if people want to put their necks out, let them. Long as they know they will get no support from paypal/cag if anything were to happen.
People are going to sneak around this rule regardless. I know it's made to keep less bull shit from coming from this, but if anything, I'd just leave this sticky as a warning rather than a rule.[/QUOTE]

I agree. I'd rather do gifts most of the time if the CAG is trusted.

[quote name='Empyreal']I think it should be user's choice, both sides, if people want to put their necks out, let them. Long as they know they will get no support from paypal/cag if anything were to happen.
People are going to sneak around this rule regardless. I know it's made to keep less bull shit from coming from this, but if anything, I'd just leave this sticky as a warning rather than a rule.[/QUOTE]

this. If you're gonna get burned, you're gonna get burned...I have had maybe 3 trades where fees were covered, yet, 56 positive trades. Only burned by one guy, but that was early on..guy was banned from here, that is good enough for me. I'm all for the rule change, but maybe a price limit would have been nice. What about covering fee's on a $1 DLC code? that's a little crazy..

If someone was going to scam, especially a big amount, couldn't they just close their paypal account after taking the money out from their bank or spending it even if it wasn't gifted?
Like the guy mentioned above - if they're going to do it, they're going to do it. I know you have a slightly better chance with some paypal support, but I have heard nothing but horror stories about that anyways.

Best bet in my opinion anyway, is to do simply what we've all been doing for awhile now, using instincts and the feedback system.
Not 100% fail-safe, but the best tools we can use.

Regardless, this is just 1 CAG's 2 cents. To be fair, I think a poll should be implemented, like we normally do for some decisions.
Or are all the mods and cheapy reinforcing this, so no say in it at all?
Don't want to make it a bigger issue than should be, but it doesn't hurt to see our options.

I'm assuming this would affect the people who do the 4-packs on Steam as well? Those seem to fit under the section personal payments because it is similar to paying someone back for their portion of a lunch bill except this is for a game bill.

I dont see why this should be a concern on CAG. Whether or not people send gift or not is up to the agreement between transactors. Obviously and hopefully the buyer knows the logic of paypal. Mods should have no reason to enforce it.

[quote name='Arakias']I dont see why this should be a concern on CAG. Whether or not people send gift or not is up to the agreement between transactors. Obviously and hopefully the buyer knows the logic of paypal. Mods should have no reason to enforce it.[/QUOTE]

This. :applause:

[quote name='Reikon']This is why I've been trying to promote Amazon Payments for so long, but nobody wants to use it. There are no fees for either side.[/QUOTE]

I have Amazon Payments so I guess I will try and use these for transactions on here if they want to.

First off, there's been an increase in this in the recent months, and when it's been cropping up, I've commented on it and reminded people about the issue. It's not just one single event that happened today to prompt this, but something that's been a growing trend.

Secondly, it's stated clearly in Paypal's user agreement that Personal payments aren't for the purchase of items, only for the sending of money without any item exchange or purchase attached to it. They have Purchase Payments designed for that.

Third, if there's an issue and it's a Personal payment that's involved with the purchase of an item, Paypal won't do anything to work with the aggrieved party. Their fees are what cover their involvement in issues with scams and other issues.

Fourth, as it's been pointed out previously, there are other methods of payment used besides Paypal, such as Amazon Payments. Other CAGs use Amazon gift cards as payment for item purchases, as well as the other options of physical payments.

If I want to use Paypal for my payment transactions, I have to agree to their UA and not skirt them by sending payments for purchases that aren't supposed to do it by that means. I've done it myself once or twice, and then started reading about issues in Paypal's user forums about this being something that Paypal won't do anything about if there's an issue. They clearly state in their UA that Personal payments aren't for purchases of goods/services/eBay items/etc., and wash their hands of the issue. I looked into the UA and found that they spell it out clearly about Personal Payments not being used for purchases.

I know people have had issues in the past with Paypal in regards to disputes, though again, you don't always have to use them for payments. Also, you can mark that the payment doesn't need shipping, if it's for something that won't be physically shipped.

We're not the small site we were numerous years ago. There's plenty of user base here, and with any increase in userbase, there's an increase in people that try to make a fast buck on a scam. Closing out one possible avenue for issues is something that helps all of us.

[quote name='Empyreal']If someone was going to scam, especially a big amount, couldn't they just close their paypal account after taking the money out from their bank or spending it even if it wasn't gifted?
Like the guy mentioned above - if they're going to do it, they're going to do it. I know you have a slightly better chance with some paypal support, but I have heard nothing but horror stories about that anyways.

Best bet in my opinion anyway, is to do simply what we've all been doing for awhile now, using instincts and the feedback system.
Not 100% fail-safe, but the best tools we can use.

Regardless, this is just 1 CAG's 2 cents. To be fair, I think a poll should be implemented, like we normally do for some decisions.
Or are all the mods and cheapy reinforcing this, so no say in it at all?
Don't want to make it a bigger issue than should be, but it doesn't hurt to see our options.[/QUOTE]
Exactly, If its a huge sum of money I understand for the Paypal "protection" but if its a low amount and the person you are dealing with is a reputable member, I don't really see the damage being done. Either way, I've always thought Paypal is trash in my opinion. I'm not a happy eBay or Paypal user, but sometimes there isn't any other better alternative to sell than that. Craigslist ends lowballing me to helll half the time so I have no other choice than to end up putting stuff on eBay sometimes.

Now Paypal isn't bad when you are paying for stuff, but when it comes to selling, Paypal lacks professionalism. There are multiple horror stories as you've mentioned of people making chargebacks and ending up receiving both ends of the deal.

I had this crap happen to me with my iPhone 3G a year ago, the fucking lady only took my hard case, Invisible Shield Protectors, and the dock. Either way if she had taken the phone I swear I would have fought tooth and nail to get it back, I would go as far as heading to where they live to give them a proper 'lesson'. Anyways, after multiple arguments I still lost the case with PP and eBay and she got her money back, I ended up being called by this goddamn Paypal agent to pay up the $640 something dollars I owed them since they reimbursed the woman. I paid up, I still lost all my fees associated with the item and got back a used iPhone. Thats where I started learning how much eBay and Paypal TRULY suck. Unfortunately items I sell aren't so easily sold in other places such as Craigslist. I'll get lowball'd so up to eBay it goes and have those leeching bastards get a slice of my money.

I've heard people using Amazon for paying stuff, and I've recently registered there but since I'm not yet comfortable or know how it completely works out yet, I still use Paypal. I'll definitely have to start focusing on using Amazon Payments from now on though.

Fair enough shrike. I just wish there was some kind of universal policy on the paypal fees if we are going to stick to this. As a seller, I always eat the fees myself if someone wasn't comfortable with a gift payment, since I view that as my job as a seller. However, when I look at most people's lists, they expect the buyer to cover any fees, meaning I would be covering fees no matter what I am doing. As a result I rarely buy here and only did so recently since the stuff was digital transactions and I was fine with gift payments for them (don't want people having my address in digital transactions anyway). Taking that option aways means I probably won't be buying anything from people here.

Well I understand the reasoning behind it but I do think this will kill a lot of the Steam 4-pack groups when they come along. That was the only time I requested gift payments.

Had no idea about Amazon Payments. Will definitely look into them. I'm tired of PayPal taking $3+ for every $100 I receive.

You really don't see that damage being done? You don't see that you're violating a company's terms of use? You also don't see that you are literally stealing from Paypal since you are using one of their services and not paying for it?

What if it was you that was losing money because your customers were finding ways to skirt around from paying you for using your services? Would you see it then?

I'm 100% for paying companies for using their services. It's this simple folks--if you don't want to pay a company for using their services, simply DON'T USE THEM!

I have no issue whatsoever paying Paypal for their services. I have used them for years and they have literally saved my ass on more than one occasion. I've never been denied a refund whenever I run across a crook...not once! People who complain about Paypal usually are the ones that don't understand how their system works.

I have had one chargeback myself ($200), so I know how that feels...but why you blame Paypal and/or Ebay is beyond me. Neither of those companies are the ones that initiated the chargeback (it was the woman!) and as far as chargebacks are concerned, it's always done through a credit card company...so your points aren't really valid. It certainly looks like you are blaming Paypal because they didn't "back you up". How could they? Going by that mentality, anybody who has ever gotten ripped off here on this site should be blaming this site also...makes about as much sense.

Neither Paypal nor Ebay are responsible for making people act like rats and doing this crap. If anything, you should be blaming credit card companies for making it easy for people to pull these stunts! A chargeback is almost always certain to go in the initiator's favor. I had all the proof in the world that this crook that did the chargeback on me had certainly bought the item (he even left me positive feedback on Ebay!) but they wound up making me pay him back, plus he kept my items on top of it!

Like they say--don't shoot the messenger! :D

And I do hope that the mods on this site really keep their eyes on people who insist that buyers pay for Paypal fees. If anything, you should automatically add it to your asking price...that way it's paid, and already included in the price of your item. Asking a person to pay extra for something that you should absorb the price of is nothing more than milking your buyer for more than they should be paying for. Anybody that asks me to pay their Paypal fees will get their message forwarded to a mod. If I see any posting asking for a buyer to pay Paypal fees, I will also make it a point to forward it to a mod for review.

You want to accept a payment via Paypal, pay the fees!

[quote name='Aenzo']I don't really see the damage being done.
[/QUOTE]

There are lots of respected CAGs that ask you to cover the paypal fees. I dont do it but I understand those that do. You really make yourself sound like a jack ass by threatning to report people who do that. Please remind me to never trade with you if I ever send you a pm!

Another thing, about Paypal fees. The payee eats the fees, regardless of who's picking them up. Paypal doesn't mandate the fees being picked up by the payer, though it's considered to be the "right" thing to do. I do try to ask the payee if Paypal fees are figured into their price and if not, I add them into my payment.

When I ask for Paypal payments, I always have the fees figured into the money I'll be netting after fees, so it never ends up being an issue. The Paypal fees are what it costs to use them for payment. I'm looking into Amazon Payments myself, since having no fees is a nice thing.

The Paypal calculator is a good way to see fees on both sides of the transaction, so both parties know the money pre-fees and post-fees.

[quote name='token2k6']Just to be clear, Amazon payments are simply the sending of Amazon Gift Cards right?[/QUOTE]No, Amazon Payments are their flavor of Paypal. Log into your Amazon account and look on the right side of the page for "Amazon Payments Account".

Main page for it:
https://payments.amazon.com/sdui/sdui/index.htm

[quote name='GraftonWVDiskExchang']
And I do hope that the mods on this site really keep their eyes on people who insist that buyers pay for Paypal fees. If anything, you should automatically add it to your asking price...that way it's paid, and already included in the price of your item. Asking a person to pay extra for something that you should absorb the price of is nothing more than milking your buyer for more than they should be paying for. Anybody that asks me to pay their Paypal fees will get their message forwarded to a mod. If I see any posting asking for a buyer to pay Paypal fees, I will also make it a point to forward it to a mod for review.
[/QUOTE]

While I don't disagree with the general point of your post, are you fucking serious with this? A sanctimonious lecture from someone completely new to the trading forums is ridiculous enough, but you're basically saying you're going to cause a stink about anyone who even suggests that a buyer pays paypal fees? And report them to a mod as if they've committed some major violation? Good luck getting anyone in the trading forum who reads this post to trade with you.

I think most people will simply be exploring other options for payment, I know that's what I'll be doing. As long as other options of payment are provided, I don't see anything particularly wrong with asking people to cover the fees if they choose to use paypal. And for you, or anyone, to throw such a hissy fit over something which usually amounts to about fifty cents far surpasses the ridiculous and borders on me wondering whether you were going for a well-disguised satire of a condescending twit. If so, well played.

Just signed up for Amazon Payments and I have to say that it looks like a carbon copy of Paypal. What I want to know is how good is their dispute handling system? Has anyone had to use that?

[quote name='token2k6']thanks, signed up, bookmarked! seems harmless and a lot like paypal..[/QUOTE]

I signed up for it as well, we'll see how it works. It was very easy to link my checking account to it, and it seems pretty straightforward in general.

I assume there are no ToS issues here, since shrike has endorsed it essentially?

[quote name='bvharris']I signed up for it as well, we'll see how it works. It was very easy to link my checking account to it, and it seems pretty straightforward in general.

I assume there are no ToS issues here, since shrike has endorsed it essentially?[/QUOTE]I'm not endorsing Amazon Payments over Paypal, I'm just trying to point out there are other options out there. Going back up in the thread, other CAGs mentioned about it. It seems to be the closest "Paypal-like" experience from another vendor.

Here's a link to the info about sending money and receiving money:
https://payments.amazon.com/sdui/sdui/personal/webpay/faq

I signed up for it, just to give me another avenue to use for payments. And looking over the FAQ, as stated by another CAG, there's no fees to send or receive money through Amazon Payments.

I'm confused about something. Are you saying its okay to charge the fees to the buyer if they are paying with paypal and charge them the regular price if they pay with Amazon or another form of payment?

Example: I'm selling something and I want $30 for it. If they pay with paypal they have to send me $31.20 and if they pay with Amazon then they send me $30.

[quote name='PenguinoMF']I'm confused about something. Are you saying its okay to charge the fees to the buyer if they are paying with paypal and charge them the regular price if they pay with Amazon or another form of payment?

Example: I'm selling something and I want $30 for it. If they pay with paypal they have to send me $31.20 and if they pay with Amazon then they send me $30.[/QUOTE]Paypal fees are paid by the payee, regardless if the payer is picking them up or not. For me, I slipstream the fees into any prices I post, since I know it's a cost for using Paypal.

Amazon Payments doesn't charge any fees for their service, so if you send $30 via Amazon Payments, you get $30. If that same money was sent via Paypal, you'd net $28.83 after fees. As you said, if they send you $31.20, you net out $30.

Which does bring up the issue of surcharging for fees. It's spelled out in section 4.5 of Paypal's user agreement about surcharging for fees. Right here:

[quote name='Paypal UA']4.5 No Surcharges. You agree that you will not impose a surcharge or any other fee for accepting PayPal as a payment method. You may charge a handling fee in connection with the sale of goods or services, as long as the handling fee does not operate as a surcharge and is not higher than the handling fee you charge for non-PayPal transactions.[/quote]

This says you can't surcharge for Paypal fees, like vendors can't charge a surcharge for using a credit card. Obviously, we've seen vendors can provide a "cash discount" in lieu of that.

My recommendation is pick one price, regardless of payment method, and have that be your set price.

[quote name='shrike4242']I signed up for it, just to give me another avenue to use for payments. And looking over the FAQ, as stated by another CAG, there's no fees to send or receive money through Amazon Payments.[/QUOTE]

This confuses me, as the info I looked up said that you'd be charged 2.9% +$0.30 per transaction received. Where do you see that there is no fees for getting paid with amazon payment, as all I see is them saying there is no fees for paying with it?

[quote name='shrike4242']Paypal fees are paid by the payee, regardless if the payer is picking them up or not. For me, I slipstream the fees into any prices I post, since I know it's a cost for using Paypal.[/QUOTE]

Basically, you're saying you go against 4.5, but "hide it" as if you were not. Am I correct in this assumption? If not, please explain

[quote name='kurrptsenate']Basically, you're saying you go against 4.5, but "hide it" as if you were not. Am I correct in this assumption? If not, please explain[/QUOTE]No, I'm not saying that I'm going against it. If I'm selling an item and I'm offering $30 for it, I know that I'm getting $1.17 taken out as Paypal fees, so my money after fees is $28.83. I'm not raising the cost of the item I'm selling to $31.20 to cover the fees for "making" $30.00. What Paypal takes out of the transaction is always figured into the pricing, and I'm not raising the price to cover those charges. If I'm using Paypal for payments, I know they're taking a cut of the money.

[quote name='Ryukahn']This confuses me, as the info I looked up said that you'd be charged 2.9% +$0.30 per transaction received. Where do you see that there is no fees for getting paid with amazon payment, as all I see is them saying there is no fees for paying with it?[/QUOTE]I'm sorry, it's buried a bit more in the Help/FAQ section than the first couple of pages let on.

You are correct, there are fees associated with using it, and they're the same as Paypal:

https://payments.amazon.com/sdui/sdui/about?nodeId=6022

From the link above:
[quote name='Amazon Payments Fee Info']
Amazon Payments Fees--Checkout by Amazon and Amazon Simple Pay

Fees for payments received using Checkout by Amazon and Amazon Simple Pay vary based on the transaction amount and volume:
For Transactions >= $10:

• 2.9% + $0.30 for all transactions
Volume Discounts

• 2.5% + $.30 for all transactions for monthly payment volume from $3k-$10k
  • 2.2% + $.30 for all transactions for monthly payment volume from $10k - $100k
  • 1.9% + $.30 for all transactions for monthly payment volume over $100k
For Transactions < $10:
5.0% + $0.05 for all transactions [/quote]

Though, on that page, it's unclear if that's for business or not, since there's also this link as well:

https://payments.amazon.com/sdui/sdui/about?nodeId=6019

There's mentions about fees on from the above link, which is their UA, though it's not specific on what those fees are for.

Elsewhere, here's a link that says there are no fees associated with it:
https://payments.amazon.com/sdui/sdui/personal/webpay/faq#wpFee

Specifically:
[quote name='From Amazon WebPay FAQ']5. Is there a fee for using Amazon WebPay?No, there is no charge to send money using Amazon WebPay.[/quote]

just a quick note, when you sign up for Amazon Payments any card you have linked on your Amazon account will get a pending $1 authorization charge. This caused all kinds of chaos when my wife called me up, asking what "stupid thing" I bought for a $1 and why I used a card we weren't supposed to be using b/c she got some email alert?..

bread's done
Back