Photo
- - - - -

Personal Paypal payments for purchases and payers paying Paypal fees prohibited.

• Please log in to reply
222 replies to this topic

#181 gameguy1001

gameguy1001

Trading Time Out (Under Investigation) Do not trade!

• Trading Timeout - Under Review

Posted 02 January 2011 - 09:58 PM

jjj - basically never. I think on like 3-4 transactions out of i duno how many had just an address, but nothing else. And that was only when gifted to me..anytime i gifted i put nothing

#182 jjjbadboy32

jjjbadboy32

Posted 02 January 2011 - 10:00 PM

jjj - basically never. I think on like 3-4 transactions out of i duno how many had just an address, but nothing else. And that was only when gifted to me..anytime i gifted i put nothing

Even the address pretty much proves that you are shipping something out after receiving the money.

I am not sure how it works though, so I am just guessing.

I am sorry for what happened, but I am glad that you have informed us about this. Thank you.
Posted Image

Posted Image

#183 twiceborn

twiceborn

SAY WHAT?!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 January 2011 - 10:04 PM

Thanks for the heads up. Never new they would actually clamp down on the abuse of the gift option.

"When I die, I want to go just like my grandpa, peacefully and in my sleep,... not kicking and screaming like all of his passengers."

Joker: It seems he finally took the stick out of his a#*, but now he wants to beat people to death with it.

#184 gameguy1001

gameguy1001

Posted 02 January 2011 - 10:05 PM

Yea i can understand that, but on any transaction on or close to the time my account was locked there was nothing. A few addresses were there way before they said anything. And it was only a cpl times. But if people are gifting me money, and giving their address, don't you think paypal would also pick up on them? its all a lot of crap. I just hope it don't happen to other people, and people see this and stop doing it so it does not happen.

twice - well i guess either im horribly unlucky, or they are going to start

#185 coolsteel

coolsteel

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 January 2011 - 10:26 PM

Pretty much why I don't use the gift option unless i'm actually gifting. Really sucks for you OP but I had heard of this before. At best you can gift and put no info in the notes section and hope it goes under the radar but I wouldn't be surprised if they just randomly put holds on accounts .

#186 mossman43

mossman43

Castlevania Freak

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 January 2011 - 10:28 PM

Damn man, sorry to hear that but thank you for the warning. You can still do lowballs and if people don't want to send a money order, then they don't have to participate.

#187 Nightfox31

Nightfox31

Aya Brea Lover

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 January 2011 - 10:34 PM

thats complete bullshit, paypal has there hands in everyones koolaid. Legally, though, I don't believe they can hold your money. It should be sent to you within 2 weeks.
Now Playing:
Posted Image Ghostbusters
Posted Image Castlevania Chronicles
:ps2: Futurama
Posted Image The Lost Vikings
Posted Image
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=292177

#188 gameguy1001

gameguy1001

Posted 02 January 2011 - 10:49 PM

its a crappy situation, but there is nothing else i can do :(
under their rules part or whatever its called it states that any closed account, the money can be held for up to 180 days, so there is no way out of it i guess, even tho it didn't seem legal to me. my money is my money, no matter the situation. I could see if i had alot of disputes, but with none, i don't see why they would hold it.

as far as the lowballs, i wouldn't say there are many people who would want to send cash/money orders, just cuz it takes too long. Being in canada makes it worse. I would have like no bidders, and completely lose out. And the other options i would take, rightstuf.com gift certs or amazon.ca gift certs, would also take a long while. so alas, i don't think there will be anymore from me. i'll still buy or sell, but people will have to deal with no paypal now.

#189 Heavyd814life

Heavyd814life

♥Bleed Arsenal Red♥

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 January 2011 - 02:13 AM

That's fucked up man, i'm sorry you've had to go through this. Amazon payments is really the way to go, PayPal is getting $hitter by the hour - thanks for the heads up

#190 Duo_Maxwell

Duo_Maxwell

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 January 2011 - 02:19 AM

Ha and I just signed up for Paypal not too long ago. Appreciate the heads up on this though gameguy. I'll have to look into amazon payments now perhaps too. I wonder is this just for the personal :gift" option though right? I mean if you use personal "payment" option your okay right (assuming yes because the fee is there)

#191 Megiddo_CAG

Megiddo_CAG

Posted 03 January 2011 - 02:22 AM

Was wondering if anyone else had similar issues with paypal? Aside from accounts locking up, was wondering if other CAGs can share some other insights into the situation?

#192 gameguy1001

gameguy1001

Posted 03 January 2011 - 02:26 AM

amazon payments don't work in canada. Unless someone gave me either address and zip code i could set it up, i just would have to take payments into it and not be able to transfer it out, just keep everything as credit and use it that way. Paypal was the best solution besides the bull, but now that my account is closed, i guess there is nothing i can do.

#193 Ash Burton

Ash Burton

Hail to the King, Baby

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 January 2011 - 02:43 AM

I never "gift", if I can afford to send someone 60 plus bucks for a game, I can afford to cover my butt and theirs by paying the $2.10.

#194 sirplue

sirplue

is truly, outrageous

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 January 2011 - 03:09 AM

i'd just like to know if we are getting the full picture, here? Were there any other issues you had with your account? I recall you mentioning how it was your girlfriend's paypal, because you had problems setting up your own, or something? Add to that you had 3-4 medium sized lowballs back-to-back-to-back, etc. (which could appear as though you're using your personal account to run a business...)

#195 FeuerFrei

FeuerFrei

Posted 03 January 2011 - 03:16 AM

They will most certainly hold your money in a heartbeat. PayPal held $11,000 in my account for 180 days. I learned since then to keep no more than $0.00 in there at all times.

#196 gameguy1001

gameguy1001

Posted 03 January 2011 - 03:18 AM

No i had previous problems with paypal with my old account, but not problems like this. My problem was they kept taking money from my bank account multiple times, when i only authorized 1 transaction. It happened twice and made me late on payments for other things cuz i hadn't realized it. I have never had any issue with paypal closing an account, or fraud problems, or dispute problems or anything like that.

with the lowball situation, payments were given as both gift and non gift. They never mentioned anything at all about the volume of transactons i had getting money from. Not so much as a howcome you had X number of payments to you in X number of weeks. Nothing. They did want invoices on what i had sold, but it only pertained to 3 transactions they questioned, and they were low dollar and non gifted. Then they questioned the gifted money i had received, and i told them it was from friends and family i had in the USA with my girlfriend. I delt with it all, despite it being my fiance's account, she just had to verify it from time to time, as they were okay with that situation. It all in the end boiled down to the gift payments, which they thought i was getting for selling items because i was receiving both types of payments from different people in the usa. They said they thought i was selling stuff and taking both forms of paymet which was against rules. Which it all is true. They told me that it was against rules, and that they would not accept it, and would be closing my account due to gifted payments, with thought of seling under gift. That was it. I never had a dispute against me for items not received, or not received in proper condition..nothing!

#197 Darrith

Darrith

The Lion King

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 January 2011 - 03:32 AM

Unfortunate that you got caught, but thanks for warning those who don't know about this.

You're avoiding their fees while still using their service; they're going to take issue with this being done repeatedly.

Not gifting also protects you somewhat in the event of being conned, because if you gifted you can't really turn around and say you were really purchasing merchandise, can you?

Hope it works out for you man. I've gifted (very) occasionally in the past. If someone is selling a PSN card or something 20%+ off I'll throw a little extra on top if I'm feeling nice. That isn't a requirement though, as by the rules here on CAG you're not allowed to ask for gift payments or for someone to pay your fees.

#198 sirplue

sirplue

is truly, outrageous

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 January 2011 - 03:45 AM

No i had previous problems with paypal with my old account, but not problems like this. My problem was they kept taking money from my bank account multiple times, when i only authorized 1 transaction. It happened twice and made me late on payments for other things cuz i hadn't realized it. I have never had any issue with paypal closing an account, or fraud problems, or dispute problems or anything like that.

with the lowball situation, payments were given as both gift and non gift. They never mentioned anything at all about the volume of transactons i had getting money from. Not so much as a howcome you had X number of payments to you in X number of weeks. Nothing. They did want invoices on what i had sold, but it only pertained to 3 transactions they questioned, and they were low dollar and non gifted. Then they questioned the gifted money i had received, and i told them it was from friends and family i had in the USA with my girlfriend. I delt with it all, despite it being my fiance's account, she just had to verify it from time to time, as they were okay with that situation. It all in the end boiled down to the gift payments, which they thought i was getting for selling items because i was receiving both types of payments from different people in the usa. They said they thought i was selling stuff and taking both forms of paymet which was against rules. Which it all is true. They told me that it was against rules, and that they would not accept it, and would be closing my account due to gifted payments, with thought of seling under gift. That was it. I never had a dispute against me for items not received, or not received in proper condition..nothing!

thank you for clarifying, dood. :) Hearing that they questioned you on wrt gifting makes things much clearer.

#199 Josh5890

Josh5890

For AC New Leaf 3DS- 3110-4025-7228

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 January 2011 - 04:01 AM

Geeze I hosted 7 Steam gift pack sales within the last 6 weeks. I got a TON of gift payments. My account was never locked. Sorry about that man.

I need a new signature.

#200 notwen

notwen

born to be down

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 January 2011 - 02:32 PM

I never "gift", if I can afford to send someone 60 plus bucks for a game, I can afford to cover my butt and theirs by paying the $2.10.

This. I've went out of my way to avoid gifting or having ppl gift me payments, you also give up any chance of getting scammed by making actual payments. After mods made it apparent that Paypal specifically did not want the gift option used for actual transactions I went well out of my way to avoid traders/sellers who wouldn't budge on the gift option.

. cml . my collection .
buying . : nada, i'm broke =]

Honestly, this game deserves to be bought even if you don't plan on playing it.

#201 nnthomas

nnthomas

meeble meeble

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 January 2011 - 02:34 PM

I guess the first problem is holding money in your account. Unless you're running some sort of business, you should always have a flat zero in that account. Like anyone trusts that company... but it is a necessary evil
Posted Image

#202 gameguy1001

gameguy1001

Posted 03 January 2011 - 02:45 PM

I only had money transfered from my bank to there to pay some oeople. It got locked just before the money went in there. So I couldn't use it. I never kept a balance in there.

As for gifting or not I always used both options. Everyone seemed to so I never thought I would get shut down for it...but alas I did. So oeople, be careful!!

#203 shrike4242

shrike4242

Not My Job Anymore, Go Bother Someone Else.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 January 2011 - 11:22 PM

it is bogus. I was super pissed. I mean, everyone uses this option. its complete shit! i just hope there is another way like paypal that people use to make it easier. i'll never be able to have a lowball auction or nething again. People won't want to send cash or money orders. :(

Sorry to hear you had an issue with Paypal, though the stickied thread we have in the Trading Forum (which your thread is now a part of), discusses this issue in great detail.

We had CAGs talk with Paypal about the use of the gift option and as they said, the only time it's allowed for a purchase is when it's repayment of a Steam multi-pack or a PSN gamershare, when it's something the other party has bought that you're repaying your portion of. It's the lunch bill analogy where one person picks up the check for lunch and you're repaying them your portion of the bill.

Since it sounds like that they noticed you weren't using the gift payment option for those types of things, they exercised their right to remove you from the service. It's all spelled out in their Terms Of Service, also discussed in the OP of this thread.

Geeze I hosted 7 Steam gift pack sales within the last 6 weeks. I got a TON of gift payments. My account was never locked. Sorry about that man.

Those are OK to use gift payments for, from what we found out when we talked with Paypal about these types of transactions.

#204 Hell Monkey

Hell Monkey

Social Link MAX!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 January 2011 - 03:58 PM

as by the rules here on CAG you're not allowed to ask for gift payments or for someone to pay your fees.

Never stops either though.:-#

#205 Alaisiagae

Alaisiagae

The Corgi

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 July 2011 - 07:02 PM

Not sure if the answer was explicitly stated already, but is it okay to tell a buyer that you expect to be compensated for the paypal fee (if they want to pay via paypal)? I mean, we could all just pretend it's the cost of packaging materials that just happens to be the same cost as the paypal fee...

#206 twztid13

twztid13

Infinite backlog

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 July 2011 - 07:47 PM

Not sure if the answer was explicitly stated already, but is it okay to tell a buyer that you expect to be compensated for the paypal fee (if they want to pay via paypal)? I mean, we could all just pretend it's the cost of packaging materials that just happens to be the same cost as the paypal fee...

he can't tell you yes, even if he believed it. this 'company', or website, cannot endorse side-skirting of any other companies' rules.

also, if you don't put what it's for, how the heck is paypal gonna know? i already have to pay them fees as a 'credit card' since my bank card is used, but it's from my mom's account. it's in my name, so they won't connect it to the bank account, even with talking to moms, since i'm not the primary account holder (but it IS a joint account). screw them. they'd rather her set up an account & me fraudulently use it then do things the right (easy) way. plus, she has her own account already for ebay.

#207 Alaisiagae

Alaisiagae

The Corgi

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 July 2011 - 09:09 AM

he can't tell you yes, even if he believed it. this 'company', or website, cannot endorse side-skirting of any other companies' rules.

Well, what I guess I mean is, is it okay for me to ask buyers (e.g. in my master trade thread) to compensate me for Paypal fees, or is this something I have to do via PMs? Is it against cag ettiquette to ask such things, or does the "company"/website turn a blind eye?

#208 twztid13

twztid13

Infinite backlog

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 July 2011 - 10:21 PM

Well, what I guess I mean is, is it okay for me to ask buyers (e.g. in my master trade thread) to compensate me for Paypal fees, or is this something I have to do via PMs? Is it against cag ettiquette to ask such things, or does the "company"/website turn a blind eye?

he can't tell you that they will turn a blind eye to any of their rules. it's not something CAG will ban you for, but paypal will possibly close your account, so do so at your own risk. it states clearly what the rules are.

that's like asking a policeman if you can smoke a joint behind the building if noone sees you. he can't tell you yes, cuz he is enforcing the laws that include not possessing/smoking weed. if he told you yes, or gave you a wink, then that could be used against him if you ever got caught. just use your common sense, bro. i'm not trying to be rude at all. i'm just letting you know that he is gonna tell you exactly what the rules state.

asking someone to repay the fees in any way, shape or form, is prohibited by paypal. there is no way in the world a company, or website, is going to advise you to go against any other business' rules & regulations. that may prevent people from being able to use paypal at all when affiliated with the original business or website.

i think you're smart enough to know what you can and can't do without asking a mod to go against the very reason they exist - to make sure people follow the rules. please don't put the mods in that position. they do a fantastic job at keeping this place the best trading site around. i don't expect them to put any cracks in their integrity for a workaround to paypal fees.

please don't take offense, but that's just the truth, bud.

#209 shrike4242

shrike4242

Not My Job Anymore, Go Bother Someone Else.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 July 2011 - 04:20 PM

It's pretty clearly spelled out, and I think you can figure out that it's not something the payee can be asked to pay.

#210 Alaisiagae

Alaisiagae

The Corgi

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 July 2011 - 04:52 PM

It's pretty clearly spelled out, and I think you can figure out that it's not something the payee can be asked to pay.

Okay, thank you. After discussing the issue with twztid13, I understand the situation better now. In hindsight, I see some of my questions here were a little stupid. >_<;

Given all that, I'm much more inclined to use Amazon Payments - they don't charge a fee, right? Sounds good to me! I've already put in my List that I prefer to use Amazon Payments to avoid the fee issue with Paypal.

It's such a shame. PP is so easy to use to purchase something, but I had no idea (until recently) that they charged the seller to receive purchase payments. I suppose it really isn't a lot of money, but where I'm already pricing my items so low (due to depreciated monetary value for many of the games), every extra loss is a little galling.