Photo
- - - - -

Personal Paypal payments for purchases and payers paying Paypal fees prohibited.

• Please log in to reply
245 replies to this topic

#211 shrike4242

shrike4242

Not My Job Anymore, Go Bother Someone Else.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 July 2011 - 04:36 PM

Okay, thank you. After discussing the issue with twztid13, I understand the situation better now. In hindsight, I see some of my questions here were a little stupid. >_<;

Given all that, I'm much more inclined to use Amazon Payments - they don't charge a fee, right? Sounds good to me! I've already put in my List that I prefer to use Amazon Payments to avoid the fee issue with Paypal.

It's such a shame. PP is so easy to use to purchase something, but I had no idea (until recently) that they charged the seller to receive purchase payments. I suppose it really isn't a lot of money, but where I'm already pricing my items so low (due to depreciated monetary value for many of the games), every extra loss is a little galling.

There are situations, as we found out, that Paypal is OK with the use of personal/gifted payments, where they don't take out the fee, though they're only specific situations. Everything else would be used as purchase/non-personal payments.

Amazon Payments doesn't charge fees, not at this time. They may in the future. I've used them a couple of times and they work perfectly fine as a Paypal substitute.

#212 kobra90

kobra90

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 August 2012 - 08:31 AM

Question, if I may. I purchased some items from a Cag member and was told to send payment as gift or pay the fee (an ongoing thing with this seller) and hadn't had any problems until I didn't receive my package. Usps apparently lost it and after a couple months of hounding usps, they gave word that it is np where to be found. But due to my sending funds as gift, I was unable to dispute it. How do I go about getting my payment back, or at least get reimbursed? Contacted seller and is willing to resell me one of the items but at a discounted rate, which isn't even close to the amount I paid. Hopefully this is the right place to post this. If not, lease direct to me to where I need to post this.

#213 Vanacloud

Vanacloud

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 August 2012 - 05:36 PM

Question, if I may. I purchased some items from a Cag member and was told to send payment as gift or pay the fee (an ongoing thing with this seller) and hadn't had any problems until I didn't receive my package. Usps apparently lost it and after a couple months of hounding usps, they gave word that it is np where to be found. But due to my sending funds as gift, I was unable to dispute it. How do I go about getting my payment back, or at least get reimbursed? Contacted seller and is willing to resell me one of the items but at a discounted rate, which isn't even close to the amount I paid. Hopefully this is the right place to post this. If not, lease direct to me to where I need to post this.

I had a similiar situation a few months ago except the seller turned out to be a Fraud (Disappeared after payment was made / never logged on). I also paid using Gift (Big mistake), Paypal wouldnt help me dispute either, So what I did was call up my Credit Card company, informed them that the payment is Void (Because item never showed up) and they gave me back the credit. Not sure if that'll work for you but thats what I did afterwards, Good luck.

#214 kobra90

kobra90

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 August 2012 - 01:10 AM

I had a similiar situation a few months ago except the seller turned out to be a Fraud (Disappeared after payment was made / never logged on). I also paid using Gift (Big mistake), Paypal wouldnt help me dispute either, So what I did was call up my Credit Card company, informed them that the payment is Void (Because item never showed up) and they gave me back the credit. Not sure if that'll work for you but thats what I did afterwards, Good luck.

Unfortunately this transaction happened in april. I don't know if there's a time frame to dispute.

#215 twztid13

twztid13

Infinite backlog

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 August 2012 - 02:36 AM

Unless you can get a credit card company to help you out, you are probably out of luck. This is excactly why the mods at CAG have been preaching not to send PayPal payments as gifts. Best of luck, but please learn from this in the future. I wish there was something else I could say to give you hope. It is worth a shot to try no matter how long it has been. You can explain your delay by referencing the post office looking for the supposed package.

#216 Asmith906

Asmith906

CAG in Training

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 August 2013 - 10:51 PM

I wasn't quite sure where to ask/find this information. This seems like the most appropriate place. I have two question since I have no feedback I understand that I would have to pay first. I'm used to using my paypal to purchase items from online stores. My question is:

1. To pay someone on here all I need is their email address right?

2. I only have to pay the amount they request and paypal fee gets taken out of that?

Did I get that right?

#217 thelonepig

thelonepig

Greasy Pork Pirates!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 August 2013 - 11:54 PM

I wasn't quite sure where to ask/find this information. This seems like the most appropriate place. I have two question since I have no feedback I understand that I would have to pay first. I'm used to using my paypal to purchase items from online stores. My question is:

1. To pay someone on here all I need is their email address right?
2. I only have to pay the amount they request and paypal fee gets taken out of that?

Did I get that right?

Yes on both accounts. When paying through PayPal, you choose the goods and services option as opposed to the friends and family option.

#218 Asmith906

Asmith906

CAG in Training

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 August 2013 - 12:33 AM

Yes on both accounts. When paying through PayPal, you choose the goods and services option as opposed to the friends and family option.

Thanks I just didn't want to do anything wrong

#219 SaiF

SaiF

Posted 30 September 2013 - 11:01 PM

Are tracking numbers expected around here?

#220 twztid13

twztid13

Infinite backlog

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 October 2013 - 03:30 AM

A couple of years ago, I saw all manner of policies from CAG's on tracking. Recently, it seems that CAG's realized it's worth the .85 cents to get delivery confirmation (which is different from tracking number, but I'm not sure if you are specifically referring to tracking as opposed to proof of delivery). Some would offer it as an option to the buyer, at worst. Is is still up to the individual member, so everyone has had different experiences, I'm sure. This is certainly something I would mention when making deals, just to be certain. Since I'm sure you want some type of answer.....I'd have to be very general about my transactions, and can only speak for my experiences, but I'd say yes.  

#221 MasaTFC

MasaTFC

Germany 2014 FIFA World Cup Champions!!!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 October 2013 - 02:52 AM

expected is a tough word, but 9 out of 10 times it happens regardless. I always get tracking when I ship, and pretty much require the same unless I have traded multiple times with a person or have traded once before and they have high, established feedback.

my grandfather always said "expect the unexpected" so when trading, its best to clarify with the person that you would like it before hand

"The Absence of Evidence Is Not The Evidence of Absence"

Updated List- Come Buy My Stuff Cheap!

#222 Megamania

Megamania

Posted 14 May 2014 - 03:52 PM

Personally, I think for digital items, using gift should be okay.

Obviously when things are shipped they CAN get lost so I wouldn't advise giftiing in that situation.

Honestly, when I sell digital codes that are'nt gifted the seller can Fuck me over at any time because Paypal does not cover "Digital" items.

That's why this rule is full of bullshit.

#223 Kovorkian

Kovorkian

Judoka on a CAG Hiatus due to new job

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 May 2014 - 08:23 PM

Personally, I think for digital items, using gift should be okay.

Obviously when things are shipped they CAN get lost so I wouldn't advise giftiing in that situation.

Honestly, when I sell digital codes that are'nt gifted the seller can Fuck me over at any time because Paypal does not cover "Digital" items.

That's why this rule is full of bullshit.

If you don't like Paypal's rules, then use a different service such as Amazon Payments.

Tradelist   (mostly Nintendo / Sony)  

May DealSeeker continue to guide us through dark voids, lead us not into tempting terrible deals, and deliver us from EA.

gallery_474050_8161_75125.jpg

Designed by Lilchiji

#224 Asmith906

Asmith906

CAG in Training

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 July 2014 - 07:57 PM

I have a question on paypal fees. If someone says that they will sell you an item for $12 you don't have to include extra to cover the cost of paypal fees right?

#225 Kovorkian

Kovorkian

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 July 2014 - 08:00 PM

I have a question on paypal fees. If someone says that they will sell you an item for $12 you don't have to include extra to cover the cost of paypal fees right?

Correct, a seller cannot force you to cover the fee of using Paypal.  Some users may choose to do so, out of their own volition. 

If someone is attempting to force you to cover fess, you can contact a mod (Pookymeister / Trakan) and/or Paypal for a violation of the ToS.

May DealSeeker continue to guide us through dark voids, lead us not into tempting terrible deals, and deliver us from EA.

Designed by Lilchiji

#226 Eternal Session

Eternal Session

Posted 24 July 2014 - 03:25 AM

Some of you guys are too strict. I'm not sure if it's some kind of misplaced justice that you're operating on or if you feel like Paypal and eBay, which is a multibillion dollar corporation, needs your help, but I've been scammed (literally scammed) by Paypal and eBay in the past so I do my best to try to see that they make no money off of me. As such I always send payments as gifts because they make no money that way. That's just the way it is with me.

#227 thelonepig

thelonepig

Greasy Pork Pirates!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 July 2014 - 03:49 AM

Some of you guys are too strict. I'm not sure if it's some kind of misplaced justice that you're operating on or if you feel like Paypal and eBay, which is a multibillion dollar corporation, needs your help, but I've been scammed (literally scammed) by Paypal and eBay in the past so I do my best to try to see that they make no money off of me. As such I always send payments as gifts because they make no money that way. That's just the way it is with me.

Then don't use their service. You've agreed to abide by their terms of service, so do it.

#228 Eternal Session

Eternal Session

Posted 24 July 2014 - 09:19 AM

Fine. I read through the topic and see the danger of gift payments (not being able to open a case about it) so I won't anymore.

#229 Tanelorn

Tanelorn

Posted 21 August 2014 - 08:04 PM

The amount of people requesting gifted Paypal is too damn high !

I never asked anybody to gift me paypal... some did gift, but I never asked. And I see too much "Gifted Paypal" in their Wanted list, or in PM.

If I were to go PayPal I would want $30 gifted.

#230 LordVila

LordVila

Casterly Rock!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 August 2014 - 01:44 PM

It is getting beyond ridiculous how many people are asking to be gifted the money.

TheVila.png

#231 thelonepig

thelonepig

Greasy Pork Pirates!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 August 2014 - 02:55 PM

It is getting beyond ridiculous how many people are asking to be gifted the money.

It is, but the mods have proven they don't have the time (desire?) to clean it up. At some point you just have to decide where you fall and go from there. I've had a few deals fall through because I refused to gift the payment, or requested Amazon Payments for a smaller purchase. But what are you going to do? On one hand, CAG can't condone breaking the ToS of PayPal. On the other, it's not CAG's duty to protect it.

#232 Gamer SDP

Gamer SDP

not much of a gamer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 August 2014 - 05:16 AM

Silly question, but is there a "free" Amazon Payments feature - essentially like gifted/personal paypal?  I have been meaning to set up Amazon Payments for a while (don't think the Amazon Payments used to buy things a la Kickstarter etc counts right?).

PM for BB GCU and Elite+ services!

#233 Asmith906

Asmith906

CAG in Training

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 August 2014 - 05:53 AM

I don't recommend anyone gift payments. I was on a lowball with a guy that had a bunch of positive feedback but for whatever reason a bunch of us never got our packages. So that means we can't even open a claim if we gifted.

#234 thelonepig

thelonepig

Greasy Pork Pirates!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 August 2014 - 01:54 PM

Silly question, but is there a "free" Amazon Payments feature - essentially like gifted/personal paypal? I have been meaning to set up Amazon Payments for a while (don't think the Amazon Payments used to buy things a la Kickstarter etc counts right?).

A standard Amazon Payments account doesn't have fees. Win!

#235 infiniteHorizon

infiniteHorizon

Posted 26 August 2014 - 09:38 PM

Ridiculous rule that people are going along with. People on trading sites have always gifted payment, I gift payment to people I know through facebook too if I'm buying something. Obviously if it's a completely new user, or someone you know nothing about - you want to be cautious. But otherwise you should try to trust people. And it's just always been common practice to gift money to avoid fees, we're selling / trading video games here... we don't need to line billionaires pockets more at our own expense. They make enough money off the shit I sell on eBay as is.

#236 Gamer SDP

Gamer SDP

not much of a gamer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 August 2014 - 06:28 AM

A standard Amazon Payments account doesn't have fees. Win!

so do I still have to signup if I already have "paid" via Amazon Payments by signing into my normal Amazon.com account? 

PM for BB GCU and Elite+ services!

#237 thelonepig

thelonepig

Greasy Pork Pirates!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 August 2014 - 03:17 PM

so do I still have to signup if I already have "paid" via Amazon Payments by signing into my normal Amazon.com account?

That's a good question. Go to payments.amazon.com and try to log in.

#238 Tanelorn

Tanelorn

Posted 29 August 2014 - 04:24 PM

I just found out that gifting money does not add any fees when there is money in the paypal balance. If the payment comes from a credit card, the guy gifting pays fees. I thought there was always a fee.

This kinda change my stance on the situation. If I trust the person, or if I receive first, I could gift.

#239 Kovorkian

Kovorkian

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 August 2014 - 01:23 PM

Ridiculous rule that people are going along with. People on trading sites have always gifted payment, I gift payment to people I know through facebook too if I'm buying something. Obviously if it's a completely new user, or someone you know nothing about - you want to be cautious. But otherwise you should try to trust people. And it's just always been common practice to gift money to avoid fees, we're selling / trading video games here... we don't need to line billionaires pockets more at our own expense. They make enough money off the shit I sell on eBay as is.

I just found out that gifting money does not add any fees when there is money in the paypal balance. If the payment comes from a credit card, the guy gifting pays fees. I thought there was always a fee.

This kinda change my stance on the situation. If I trust the person, or if I receive first, I could gift.

If you want gifted payments, use a different service like amazon payments.   You agreed to Paypal's ToS when you signed up.  You can either follow the rules to which you have agreed to follow, or use a different service.

Designed by Lilchiji

#240 Eternal Session

Eternal Session

Posted 31 August 2014 - 09:16 AM

If you want gifted payments, use a different service like amazon payments.   You agreed to Paypal's ToS when you signed up.  You can either follow the rules to which you have agreed to follow, or use a different service.

How about doing as you want because you're not a sheep? Let's be honest, if you really care about a company's ToS, you pretty much aren't really human anymore. ToSs do whatever they can to strip you of your rights and give the company absolute control of you. Why hold it in high regard?