Bayonetta PS3 gets PATCH; option to install on HDD

IRHari

CAGiversary!
Feedback
3 (100%)
From Eurogamer:

PS3 Bayonetta gets HDD install option
The Japanese PS3 version of Bayonetta will receive a patch tomorrow enabling hard-drive installs. You'll be able to do the honours through the in-game menu.
SEGA hopes this will shorten the long loading times that PS3 fans have been complaining about.
We're investigating the whereabouts of a European patch.
For Xbox 360 owners, Bayonetta can already be installed to hard-drive using the system's Dashboard options.
Bayonetta was released in early January and earned a hearty 9/10 here on Eurogamer. Head over to our Bayonetta review to find out why.

Ok, I'm still advocating the boycott of this game until ALL the issues are addressed. Apparently there are still framerate issues with the game. People should, if this is going to entice them to buy the game now, at least WAIT to confirm that the loading times are now on par with the 360.

Also we're not sure how big the install will be. Might be a factor too (I know I'm running out of space on my 80GB).

To clarify, the loading issues are pretty bad, but I tolerate them. You get a loading time to get to the pause menu. I really hope they release other patches as well to respond to these issues.

All I can say is thank fucking God. I ended up renting it and it's infuriating.

I generally tolerate things and am about as far from a graphics whore as you can get (Most of these reviewers talking about jaggies and screen tearing and what not would need to have me stop during gameplay to point them out or I won't notice them) but the loading is just ridiculous. Want to pause? 5 sec load screen. Want to go to your item menu? 5 sec load screen. Want to go to another TAB in the item menu? Another 5 sec. I don't mind the loading between chapters and the like as I get to practice my moves, which makes the loading flow quicker, but the constant waiting during the big sections of the game just makes it unplayable for me.

Wow, it's that bad?

It's a good thing I'm busy playing other games because I really wanted to get it. I'll wait to see how well the patch irons things out.

I want this game really bad, but I'm going to wait until it at least get the patches that it needs. I'm not going to support bull crap on the PS3. I'm not buying it on the 360 either. Point is... you release a game on the PS3, then you need to make sure it runs right.

[quote name='Frank Deluded']Wow, it's that bad?

It's a good thing I'm busy playing other games because I really wanted to get it. I'll wait to see how well the patch irons things out.[/QUOTE]

Here's a comparison someone posted,

Time to load Ch12 Broken Sky
PS3 - 31 sec
360 - 8 sec

Time to enter GOH between chapters
PS3 - 28 sec
360 - 7 sec

Time to exit GOH between chapters
PS3 - 12 sec
360 - 3 sec

Time to enter GOH within a chapter
PS3 - 29 sec
360 - 9 sec

Time to exit GOH within a chapter
PS3 - 23 sec
360 - 7 sec

[quote name='kiribee']Here's a comparison someone posted,

Time to load Ch12 Broken Sky
PS3 - 31 sec
360 - 8 sec

Time to enter GOH between chapters
PS3 - 28 sec
360 - 7 sec

Time to exit GOH between chapters
PS3 - 12 sec
360 - 3 sec

Time to enter GOH within a chapter
PS3 - 29 sec
360 - 9 sec

Time to exit GOH within a chapter
PS3 - 23 sec
360 - 7 sec[/QUOTE]

Don't wanna step on any toes, but do you have a link for those numbers? Thanks.

If anyone wants a visual, YouTube video contained within the spoiler.

Basically it's a comparison of load times of PS3 and 360, and only talks about getting into the game. For those who don't want to watch the video, I'll highlight some stuff. Also, at about the 2 minute mark is when he actually starts the PS3 game.

2:30-2:47 - Loading screen from Continue to the Start/Save chapter screen (this screen is incredibly minimalist, cut to about 2:50 to see how pathetic it is to take nearly 20 seconds to load it)

2:52-3:36 (yes that's accurate, maybe +/- 1-2 seconds) - Load from Start/Save chapter screen to actual game.

3:40-3:45 - He presses start at 3:40 and the load screen pops up at 3:45.
3:55/6 - 3:58/9 - Presses start at 3:55/6 and it loads at 3:58/9.

It's quite pathetic really, especially considering he does the 360 version right after it and it's, you know, an acceptable length. For comparison, the Continue to in game on the 360 is from 5:01-5:10/11, and of course pausing takes maybe 1 second, if that. It baffles me why Sega decided it was a good idea to release these simultaneously. I'd prefer a good version released in Q2-Q3 rather than this crap simultaneously. I never got to see the Orange Box in all its bad port glory, but was it nearly as bad as this?

[quote name='Thomas96']I want this game really bad, but I'm going to wait until it at least get the patches that it needs. I'm not going to support bull crap on the PS3. I'm not buying it on the 360 either. Point is... you release a game on the PS3, then you need to make sure it runs right.[/QUOTE]

Actually, ANY time a game is released I'll usually wait for a bit before picking it up so I can see what kind of issues it has. I was considering Bayonetta, but between the long load times(only remedied by loading it onto the HDD:roll:)and any other issues it may have, I'd rather wait for a $20 budget price.

This is why I almost always refuse to buy games at MSRP anymore, since so many companies feel it's ok to release glitchy/buggy games and then patch the shit out of them.

Even with the one game I bought recently that I broke that rule on(Darksiders)there are framerate issues in that game. Luckily, they're not as bad as Rise Of The Argonauts had(where you were running along and it was like you hit a brick wall), but they are noticable if you really pay attention.

Thus far that's about the only issue I'm having with Darksiders, which is a damn fine God Of War clone.:D

[quote name='Soujiro_Seta']apparently this update might be for us too! And not just japan. When I tried to play it says there another version and I'm dling it now.[/QUOTE]

Keep us updated. :)

Wow, Bayonetta's playable now. The only real loading happens during level switches. I counted 8-9 seconds

alright so I've installed it and had some time to screw around with it. Here's my opinions:
It's about a 4.4 gig install.
The load times are cut down. The game still takes a second or two to access the pause menu. But when you pick up an item there is no more load.

All in all I don't think the original load times killed the game even with the update the difference seems minimal to me. Maybe cause I did other stuff during the load times it really didn't bother me. The load times are significantly shorter but idk if it's worth the 4.4 gig install considering I only have a 60 gig console. Either way I'm gonna keep it installed until I'm done playing the game. The shorter loads are nice.

Get with it people. The 360 is awful, digusting, unreliable, and has no library to speak of. Stop comparing the PS3 to such a shoddy imitator.

Furthermore a boycott sends the wrong message. If we buy it, they'll know there's a demand for it. If we don't buy it they'll think there's no point in further support. I have the game but it may be a while before I get to play it. (I got it at a discount with Darksiders during TrU's giftcard offer.)

I haven't played the game but watched youtube videos of it. I don't think the load times would have bother me. Anyway I'm not buying this until I can get it for $19-$29 just like any other games.

this is fantastic news.

the loading times in this version were such a pain, I jus couldnt dedicate myself to unlocking a lot of the game's stuff.

now Im playing on 360 and the game has become very addictive, Im always replaying stages trying to get perfect plays and all the achievements.

with the patch, I'll be doing the same thing on PS3!!

I'm glad to hear that the patch has lessened the load times considerably, once you install the game mind you. Too bad this patch wasn't available on Day One. I can't buy the game now with the huge deluge coming. It will have to wait and there will have to be a price drop.

The game isn't a GOTY but I love all the little references to past titles that the crew at Platinum Games worked on. There's even a few Sega references to boot.

[quote name='DPsx7']Get with it people. The 360 is awful, digusting, unreliable, and has no library to speak of. Stop comparing the PS3 to such a shoddy imitator.

Furthermore a boycott sends the wrong message. If we buy it, they'll know there's a demand for it. If we don't buy it they'll think there's no point in further support. I have the game but it may be a while before I get to play it. (I got it at a discount with Darksiders during TrU's giftcard offer.)[/QUOTE]

GTFO with your flamebait. No one was comparing the consoles themselves aside from the load times. It's clear SEGA rushed this game out (forced Platinum Games' hands?) and the product is inferior on the PS3.

As for boycotting, if we boycott, SEGA sees that as the people aren't happy with the game. If we don't buy then they see no demand, clearly the worse of the two options. I'm not going to buy a game that has the potential to be good but isn't, just so the developer sees that I bought the game and am OK with it's current condition. They simply keep doing what they are doing versus fixing the problem. Therefore, a boycott is really the best option because 1. it tells the developer we aren't happy, but 2. it tells the developer that we care enough about the product that we want X fixed.

Feel free to foolishly spend your money but I'm not wasting a cent on something that was rushed.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='SynGamer']GTFO with your flamebait. No one was comparing the consoles themselves aside from the load times. It's clear SEGA rushed this game out (forced Platinum Games' hands?) and the product is inferior on the PS3.

As for boycotting, if we boycott, SEGA sees that as the people aren't happy with the game. If we don't buy then they see no demand, clearly the worse of the two options. I'm not going to buy a game that has the potential to be good but isn't, just so the developer sees that I bought the game and am OK with it's current condition. They simply keep doing what they are doing versus fixing the problem. Therefore, a boycott is really the best option because 1. it tells the developer we aren't happy, but 2. it tells the developer that we care enough about the product that we want X fixed.

Feel free to foolishly spend your money but I'm not wasting a cent on something that was rushed.[/QUOTE]

QFT

I don't think they're even going to lose any money on the PS3 version... they know the condition of the product, I think that the PS3 product is just a lazy port that hey... if it sells, we make some money, if it doesn't who cares, because we truly didn't sink any true resources on it anyway. The 360 version will sell well enough so that they make their profit. I don't know for sure, if my statement reference the PS3 version is right, however I do have common sense to know that I shouldn't be buying crap.

Yep, i just did the install over the weekend and thank goodness! The loading is now tolerable, but still makes no sense if you compare to some other titles :lol:

I was able to farm the halo rings a lot quicker now. Finally got the stupid Gaze thing, which allow you to get the Bad Boy trophy (yeah, spank them Bayonetta). Oh you don't need it to get the trophy, but it's a lot easier.

Anyhow, it's not a bad game and personally, if you want the better version? Go with the Xbox 360... The PS3 version should be $39.99 to start with, those butt heads at SAGAm sigh...

The install option makes this game much better now on the PS3. However, it's not my kind of game as I don't have the hands to make Bayonetta do the dance of death like the experts can. I'm just going to beat it on Easy and be done with it. People with arthritic hands can't play these types of games without hurting themselves.

The load times don't really bother me for some reason, but I really need a chance to sit down and play this game like I should. I plan to get a platinum on it eventually.

I rented this game and got most of the trophies except finishing hard and infinite climax. I will get it again when the inevitable price drop hits.

[quote name='sinkingships']so the patch helps a lot? I haven't gotten around to DLing it.[/QUOTE]

Yes, it loads less, but still annoying... Unlike Uncharted 2, which loads in the beginning and that's it. Bayonnetta loads every chapter, even to Hellgate (i don't see any reason at all, you're just going there to buy stuff, so why load?) Also the Alfheim challenges, what's up with the loads? It's not even a full chapter!

[quote name='IRHari']fuck it, bought it off ebay for like, $40. meh, at least $ega won't see my money. fuck em.[/QUOTE]yes! $ega!! considering they havent asked for a single penny of DLC fukk that!!

I'm waiting to see how the patch turns out before I consider plunging for Bayonetta's PS3
5.gif

Just downloaded and played the demo for this. I enjoyed the demo, though not enough to buy the game considering all the major releases I have yet to play. However, I didn't have any problems with load times. Is the demo not affected the same way the main game is?

[quote name='Baron O Hell']I believe they patched it so the load times aren't a problem.[/QUOTE]

They actually patched it? Or are you talking about the HD install? Because the HD install helped but it's still fr inferior to the 360 version.

bread's done
Back