Xenoblade (Monolithsoft RPG) Announced

From a graphics standpoint it looks pretty good. The battle system looks to be real time, but the trailer I watched doesn't really focus on it enough to get an idea of how it plays out. I really wish turned based RPGs were not in decline like they seem to be though.

I'm psyched. Monolith Soft has an awesome track record, and anything with the word "Xeno" in the title gets my attention for sure.

Marketing 101 at work here, change the title from a unknown name "Monado" to one that resonates with gamers (the xeno-prefix). Xenogears, Xenosaga, Xenoblade. Might as well use the same font for the title.

Makes sense to me.

It's the cheapest marketing ploy in the book. Unless they changed it dramatically, the game looks mediocre and the graphics are fugly. If anything, this name change makes me even more wary of the game. They need to use the Xeno name to sell it? Must not be very good then.

[quote name='The Mana Knight']

It seems like it was previously Monado, but Xenoblade is definitely a better name.[/QUOTE]
Yep, and I hope there is no Shion equivalent. Then I might be interested.

[quote name='Dead of Knight']It's the cheapest marketing ploy in the book. Unless they changed it dramatically, the game looks mediocre and the graphics are fugly. If anything, this name change makes me even more wary of the game. They need to use the Xeno name to sell it? Must not be very good then.[/QUOTE]

Or maybe the old name was absolutely terrible so they decided to rename it and thought adding Xeno would be a win-win.

Iwata explains Xenoblade’s name change

As many Nintendo fans know, Xenoblade was originally called Monado: Beginning of the World. The title was announced on the company’s E3 press site last year and suddenly resurfaced yesterday, with its new name. What was the motivation behind Xenoblade’s name change? Satoru Iwata explained at Nintendo’s latest financial briefing:

“At E3 2009 it was announced with a temporary name, ‘Monado: Beginning of the World.’ We decided to call it XENOBLADE to honor Mr. Tetsuya Takahashi who poured his soul into making this and who has been working on the XENO series.”
sauce

===
Glad to know our so called marketing "experts" here are fail. :lol:

[quote name='Dead of Knight']Renamed =/= Announced

Also why do you have the whiniest motherfucker in FF13 as your avatar?[/QUOTE]Its because I see Hope appealing to me well, like Sora, Tidus, and others did.

[quote name='Ryukahn']Or maybe the old name was absolutely terrible so they decided to rename it and thought adding Xeno would be a win-win.[/QUOTE]I agree. Since I love Xeno series, the name change made me interested.

I had this on my list to pick up, so the name change doesn't really matter to me. The trailer looked promising for me. Something about the sword gave me a Phantasy Star feel so I'm looking forward to it.

I had this on my radar as well, so while the name change doesn't alter my interest, I think it was an extremely smart move.

Screens look real nice but Monolith's record is decent so there's hope.

The Wii's RPG line up is forgettable, at best.

IGN Interview with Tetsuya Takahashi, the game's Director.
Interview snippet:

"Xenoblade takes on the corpses of two giant gods who once fought a great battle. If you visit the site, you'll see those two gods engaged in battle. In their final resting position, they still look like they're fighting, although both have nearly fallen to their knees.

The Xenoblade world is just those two gods. There's no planet beneath them, or no stars above them. Residents of the world reside on the gods. One god is home to humans. The other is home to mechanical creatures. "

Interview in-full
http://wii.ign.com/articles/106/1069861p1.html

To those of you suggesting that they are co-opting the xeno name in order to increase sales, I think this is off - because the brand is dead.

NPD Lifetime sales as of Dec 07
Xenosaga Ep.1: Der Wille Zur Macht - 513k
Xenosaga Ep.2: Jenseits von Gut und Bose - 268k
Xenosaga Ep.3: Also Sprach Zarathustra - 115k

This is not a trend you want to hop on.

[quote name='dyeknom']Famitsu gave it 9s across the board (36 pts total), which is higher than the original Xenogears[/QUOTE]

Didn't they give FF12 a 40? Their scores really mean nothing these days.

I'd say your logic stands up... if you had said "nobody's scores mean anything these days" because the median score for FF12 game was in the 90s... including a 95 from IGN/1UP and a 97 from RPGfan. Your statement would be slightly stronger had Famitsu given Ninjabread Man a 40/40.

Not gonna lie, I didn't like FF12 at the 100/100 level... but def. see it in the 90s. Grades are subjective, anyway... Saying Famitsu gave Xenoblade a 36/40 still helps people see that it's poorly composed trash.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Dr Mario Kart']nobody's scores mean anything these days[/QUOTE]

This. Though I would say Famitsu is less reputable than other sources. I pretty much only really trust actual gamer impressions and reviews anymore.

This looks kind of interesting. Out of the original games, I liked Xenogears the most. I started Xenosaga Eps 1-3, but was never interested enough in the story to beat them.

bread's done
Back