Red Faction Guerrilla (PC) $5 - Direct2Drive Deal of the Week

• Please log in to reply
113 replies to this topic

#31 Nobi-Wan

Nobi-Wan

Knifey-Spoony Champion

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 January 2010 - 01:24 AM

Freakin A... that's a hot price! I already own it for PS3 but I think I'll Goozex my copy and buy this if I can get it to work decently on my PC.

#32 Kurina

Kurina

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 January 2010 - 01:26 AM

I just tried to activate my key on Impulse with no luck. So it seems that is not the case, or I just have a key that doesn't allow it.

#33 bitter1961

bitter1961

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 January 2010 - 01:43 AM

my steam copy couldn't also be registered on impulse, that's the first I've heard of it also registering on impulse

I saw this suggestion to do it in a steam thread about getting the patch working, which made me curious to try it. It worked fine for me, going into the menu->"Register a product..." then clicking the "Add Registration" button down at the bottom and choosing Red Faction Guerrilla from the drop-down list (Impulse doesn't seem to be able to detect what a serial key is for automatically). Copy-pasted the key from Steam's "View game CD Key" option. And Impulse added it to my "My Games" list as "Available".

I got RFG from Steam during the holiday sale as a daily deal, so maybe high demand meant they were dipping into a different source of keys than usual?

#34 Geello

Geello

Walked into Mordor

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 January 2010 - 02:38 AM

Just running around destroying buildings with the mines makes the game worth it.

I had so much fun!

And that hammer is awesome.

Posted Image

#35 maingon

maingon

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 January 2010 - 02:43 AM

I believe 360 and PC gamerpoints are separate. Giving such games a potential of 2000/2000, if not higher for those with DLC achievements.

its not separate, Batman AA and Fallout 3 for pc show up on my xbox 360 achievement points

#36 volt1up

volt1up

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 January 2010 - 03:02 AM

This is a very good price, but D2D pissed me off so much last year during their anniversary sale where I went back and forth for their support for weeks, TRYING to buy games from them with no luck. I just don't want to give them any money any more.

lol, I just tried to checkout and they want me to go through customer service or something, screw them I'll just wait for the inevitable steam sale so I'm not kicking myself later.

#37 slugboss

slugboss

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 January 2010 - 03:11 AM

Are we all sure this can unlock gfwl achievements.. Does that feature work on windows XP?

I'd like to buy it, but I don't know how many of these services I want to get attached to. I guess $5 is a worthy test drive, but NO MORE!

#38 sfree79

sfree79

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 January 2010 - 03:17 AM

lol, I just tried to checkout and they want me to go through customer service or something, screw them I'll just wait for the inevitable steam sale so I'm not kicking myself later.

I just had that same issue. Screw them, it is a $5 transaction. Not like I stole someones credit card to spend $5.

#39 Jalu

Jalu

jalu1-5 was already taken

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 January 2010 - 03:19 AM

I just had that same issue. Screw them, it is a $5 transaction. Not like I stole someones credit card to spend $5.

Same here, and I tried to pay through paypal. Oh well. Nuts to this.

#40 volt1up

volt1up

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 January 2010 - 03:20 AM

I went the paypal route, thinking it would be the most hassle free, so much for that.

#41 mcthatch

mcthatch

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 January 2010 - 03:44 AM

Are we all sure this can unlock gfwl achievements.. Does that feature work on windows XP?

I'd like to buy it, but I don't know how many of these services I want to get attached to. I guess $5 is a worthy test drive, but NO MORE!

Achievements definitely work with my Steam version, but I'm fairly sure with most games you only get 1000 gamerpoints regardless of which version you play.

#42 Sylvanus

Sylvanus

Posted 30 January 2010 - 03:47 AM

I've tried with 3 different browsers to make a purchase. It's not happening. What the heck!?

#43 AvidWriter

AvidWriter

The Fictioner

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 January 2010 - 04:14 AM

It's too bad Steam doesn't price match.

#44 Trastan

Trastan

Always caffeinated

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 January 2010 - 04:25 AM

its not separate, Batman AA and Fallout 3 for pc show up on my xbox 360 achievement points

Maingon is correct; back when GFWL first came out, there was a big fuss made about the PC version of Gears of War's gamerscore being completely separate from the 360's version. So, if you owned both and got maximum points in each, yes, you'd end up with 2000 gamerscore total for doing the same things on both platforms.

In all honesty, though, no one should care enough about their gamerscore enough to whine about it either way (not saying that anyone here is). It's just an arbitrary system designed to give you more to earn (and, thus, reason to play) in each title than simply completing it, and, regardless of how high your score is, it impresses no one.

Sorry for the rant, and thanks, OP, for the heads-up! I've been looking for a deal on this after I failed to pick it up during the Christmas Steam sale. Here's hoping it runs great on my machine!

#45 Sylvanus

Sylvanus

Posted 30 January 2010 - 05:36 AM

Added and then removed another title. Was able to go through checkout. Sheesh.

#46 Hoffer

Hoffer

I've got a 10" CAG

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 January 2010 - 11:45 AM

I played the game on 360 and enjoyed it. I'm going to pick this up for PC. I'd rather get it on Steam, but can't pass up $5.

I've played a couple GFWL games and had zero problems with them. That's how I got 2 set of achievements for Arkham Asylum. :)

#47 xilly

xilly

Snozberries?!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 January 2010 - 12:12 PM

I've tried with 3 different browsers to make a purchase. It's not happening. What the heck!?

Same here. Suggestions, anyone?

#48 Hoffer

Hoffer

I've got a 10" CAG

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 January 2010 - 12:15 PM

Achievements definitely work with my Steam version, but I'm fairly sure with most games you only get 1000 gamerpoints regardless of which version you play.

Actually, for most games, the Xbox 360 and GFWL versions get their own 1,000 gamerscore. The only game I can think of that this isn't true is Shadowrun. MS claims the reason for that with Shadowrun is the 2 versions can play against each other.

I have both versions on my games played list for the following games that I can think of.
Gears of War
Fallout 3
Batman: Arkham Asylum
Kane & Lynch
Viva Pinata

#49 Hoffer

Hoffer

I've got a 10" CAG

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 January 2010 - 12:16 PM

I had no problems buying the game. I used IE8 on Windows 7.

I've downloaded 1.93GB of 7.72GB.

#50 jr233270

jr233270

Posted 30 January 2010 - 01:35 PM

Make sure you aren't getting charged each time you try to make the purchase. This happened to me during their anniversary sale and I got charged 4 different times and never received anything. I contacted their "customer support" (which totally blows) and they were not helpful. I had to call my bank and have them cancel payment. Just a heads up for all of you having difficulties on D2D.

#51 Hoffer

Hoffer

I've got a 10" CAG

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 January 2010 - 04:08 PM

I got it downloaded, installed, signed into GFWL and patched.

Too bad I'm trying to finish Mass Effect so I can move on to Mass Effect 2 right now. No time for Red Faction.

#52 Cheadyp

Cheadyp

asdjfaskjdlfhajklsdfhjkla

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 January 2010 - 04:29 PM

Just a warning... the PC version has quite a few issues. Many people experience crashing issues, frame rate issues (even on high end PCs), and it's got the speed-up issue that is also found in Saints Row 2 PC. As well as quite a few other problems.

With the speed-up issue, the game will basically runs about 1.5 times faster than it is supposed to. It seems to affect almost everyone on Windows 7, and a few people on other OSs.

I am on a pretty high end Windows 7 computer, and I experience all of the issues I mentioned. I regret getting the PC version of this game. Though, it's only $5, so you may be able to look past the problems.

They have promised a second patch, so hopefully it will fix a lot of the issues.
Posted Image

#53 X-GOUKI

X-GOUKI

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 January 2010 - 04:49 PM

I got it downloaded, installed, signed into GFWL and patched.

Too bad I'm trying to finish Mass Effect so I can move on to Mass Effect 2 right now. No time for Red Faction.

Luck you, I just logged in GFWL w/my gamer tag and tells me there is an update, but
it crashes to desktop every single time it tries to update

76561197964639401.png

xgouki.png

#54 Cheadyp

Cheadyp

asdjfaskjdlfhajklsdfhjkla

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 January 2010 - 04:54 PM

Luck you, I just logged in GFWL w/my gamer tag and tells me there is an update, but
it crashes to desktop every single time it tries to update

You can manually install the patch here
Posted Image

#55 Cheaplikeafox OS X

Cheaplikeafox OS X

Posted 30 January 2010 - 06:54 PM

Tried Paypal twice.. not trying again... too much hassle, I probably want it for X-Box more anyways.

#56 X-GOUKI

X-GOUKI

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 January 2010 - 06:54 PM

You can manually install the patch here

Thank You! It Worked!
You are a gentleman and scholar.

76561197964639401.png

xgouki.png

#57 Kurina

Kurina

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 January 2010 - 07:26 PM

Well, I take back what I said. Apparently, after I downloaded RFG and activated it with the same email I use for Impulse, it did indeed allow me to register it through their software. So, it does work it appears, you just need to activate the D2D copy first for some reason. My apologies for the misinformation previously, as I tried to register the key through Impulse without downloading first.

#58 cheapo72

cheapo72

Run, you pigeons!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 January 2010 - 07:40 PM

Saw this linked on Shacknews from Idle Thumbs - a taste of RF:G's destruction coupled with a catchy tune.

Space @$$hole

1:40

#59 slugboss

slugboss

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 January 2010 - 07:46 PM

Would I be able to buy it on a different computer and come back to download it and play on my gaming computer?... I'm having no luck making anything show up in the cart, I think it is some SSL thing I might have rejected from IGN entertainment. I don't know how to fix it. :cry:

#60 cheapo72

cheapo72

Run, you pigeons!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 January 2010 - 07:50 PM

Would I be able to buy it on a different computer and come back to download it and play on my gaming computer?

Yes. Just log into your account, purchase, and download at the time/place of your choosing.