I'm depressed

I know its probably hard to take me serious because I have gone so low that I want to post a thread on a gaming website that helps people find amazing deals but I really need to find people to hangout with . I am a normal person , I just want to find people to hangout with . Does anyone know of anyways to find groups of people with similar interest . I am sick and tired of being at my house all the time because I dont know where to go . So please take me seriously and help me find a website of somesort that helps people find other people with same interest . Thanks , Andrew

you could go to a bar or a gaming shop for a friday night magic. lots of probably similarly minded gamer types as yourself there. also, as bizarre as it sounds MMO's are decent to meet people who like to socialize. i wouldn't rely on MMo's long term though because they may compound your problem. hope this helps.

[quote name='denshaotoko']you could go to a bar or a gaming shop for a friday night magic. lots of probably similarly minded gamer types as yourself there. also, as bizarre as it sounds MMO's are decent to meet people who like to socialize. i wouldn't rely on MMo's long term though because they may compound your problem. hope this helps.[/QUOTE]

www.meetup.com

I have heard good things, you can search for groups with similiar interests as you. Also, I definitely do not recommend bars, for many many reasons. Mainly you dont get to know people there, only the drunk version of people. People are never who they really are at a bar.

You may also consider taking a class at a local college, that is also a good way to meet people with similiar interests and regardless of your age, because of the economy you can find people of just about any age in school now.

Hope this helps. Good luck!

One of the best ways I have met people is through volunteering. There are plenty of volunteer opportunities in your area (go to serve.gov). Pick something that interests you. You'll meet a lot of people with a lot of different interests. As much as I love gaming and hunting for good deals on games, it's really important to me socially to have some non-gamer friends or at least gamer friends who are willing to put down the controller once in a while. It will get you off the couch and out of your house. I have made a lot of great friends over the years volunteering once in a while. They're good people and tend to be lifelong friends.

Hope this helps.

Actually, you've done the right thing by posting here. I see you're in Tenn., so there's no hanging out with you for fun. Since you are Cheap Ass Gamer, you could try to find others who would go on a video game sale trip with you. It's always best to split the gas, and you could even plan on driving to a big city 45 minutes away or so and hit every store there - it'd be a ton easier with a buddy.

There's only 3 stores here, but it would be a lot more fun to go around with someone rather than hit them alone. Even if you don't find anything, at least you can split a cheap pizza afterward and complain about it. It's always good to bring a buddy into Best Buy to ask clerks about the penny guides; you each have a stack and then torment a different clerk. It's less embarrassing that way when they tell you everything is $24 and not 1 cent.

You could also post (very carefully) on Craigslist under video games to see if someone wants to go shopping, but always meet them first in the daytime at Burger King or something....well, actually that's sounds a bit dangerous no matter what...you'd probably end up meeting some great big huge weirdo wearing pink and purple fatigues with one eyeball darting back and forth, and then you'd have to talk your way out of it. But then you could post about it, and we'd all think it was funny.

If you're a high schooler, then put up an ad for a video game club. My nephew's high school has it, and they get together and do Halo and the zombie one...Left for Dead (so you have buddies to play all the other characters). You'll quickly find a few worth spending time with. Good luck.

Staring at a screen for lengthy periods of time can lead to depression. One of my college courses (back in the day) actually focused on this issue. I have felt it, but now that I have a full time job, wife and kid I don't have enough time to stare at a screen.

It's all in moderation. Gaming is awesome, but don't make it your entire life. Just start going out and doing things, you can meet people in the oddest of ways. My closest friend these days is a co-worker. Do you have a job, are you old enough to get one?

[quote name='The Mana Knight']If you lived by me, I'd do something with you (I tend to be depressed a lot too).[/QUOTE]

Yeah, it can be tough defending Sony while they pound you from behind.

People and their company are overrated.

Of course, I'm married with two children. So, my needs for social contact aren't as great as they were ten years ago.

quick warning if youre depressed avoid seeing " The Road" aside from it being a crappy movie it is easily the most depressing films ive ever seen set in a post apocalyptic time.

I don't see the problem. My friends are busy or have moved on, I've no desire to stop being single, and I hardly go anywhere besides where I work. I'm doing fine with just the PC and video games. Social interation is heavily overrated. It's also expensive and hard to trust others these days.

[quote name='mediviper']You may also consider taking a class at a local college, that is also a good way to meet people with similiar interests and regardless of your age, because of the economy you can find people of just about any age in school now.

Hope this helps. Good luck![/QUOTE]
This is good advice. I never had many friends myself. Pretty much had the same 4 friends most of my life, but I took a few classes at the local community college and met a ton of people with similar interests who I still talk to. Colleges also tend to have clubs. The one I went to had a gaming club, anime club, comic book club, etc.

[quote name='The Mana Knight']If you lived by me, I'd do something with you (I tend to be depressed a lot too).[/QUOTE]

Gee, with Mr. Emo from Emo Fantasy as your avatar and sig? I never would have guessed!

There's no such thing as bein' depressed. Just being a pussy bitch who won't take control of his/her life.

First of all, get your fat ass to the gym. Download a Lil' Wayne/Drake album, blast it on your iPod, and hit the treadmill for an hour. Don't, I repeat, Don't make conversation with anyone. It's a gym you pussy bitch, not a gay bar.

Second, once you've worked out a little, go to the mall, get some new clothes, nothing to great, maybe hit the Macy's clearance rack. A nice dress shirt, shorts, pants, and a new pair of Vans and you'll be good to go.

Third, get laid. Do anything. Since you posted a 'depression' thread on a video-game message board I assume your still a virgin and half very-very-slim pickings, so the closest vagine you come in contact with daily, hit it.

After you get laid the rest of the shit will sort itself out.

Working out helps in getting rid of depression. Join a gym.

EDIT: ph33r m3 just beat me to the post. Although I listen to death metal instead of Lil' Wayne but whatever....just go to the gym.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='mediviper']www.meetup.com

I have heard good things, you can search for groups with similiar interests as you.[/QUOTE]

Pretty cool site. Wasn't really considering looking for any new friends or anything, but might give this site a shot. Have a group of friends, but don't really know many people who are as into video games as I am. Wouldn't mind meeting a few local people also into games.

I would also advise against going to bars for meeting people. Nothing wrong with bars or anything, but, in my experience, they aren't really a great place to meet people and you're better off going with a few people you know. I'm sure you could meet people there if you tried, but you'd probably be better off joining a local group or something.

[quote name='DPsx7']I don't see the problem. My friends are busy or have moved on, I've no desire to stop being single, and I hardly go anywhere besides where I work. I'm doing fine with just the PC and video games. Social interation is heavily overrated. It's also expensive and hard to trust others these days.[/QUOTE]
Social interaction, pretty much the basis of human life, is over rated? Stop kidding yourself. Also it only has to be as expensive as you want it to be. If you like playing games all you have to do is drive/bike/walk to someones house and play games (and maybe bring some food). And the trust thing sounds more like an issue with you than the rest of the world.

[quote name='mediviper']www.meetup.com
I have heard good things, you can search for groups with similiar interests as you. Also, I definitely do not recommend bars, for many many reasons. Mainly you dont get to know people there, only the drunk version of people. People are never who they really are at a bar.
[/QUOTE]

Yeah that is the site I was going to point out. I haven't used it but I've heard good things about it. Also the bar advice is good.

The best advice I can think of is to set more goals and pick up new hobbies. If you work on them you will seem more interesting to other people, feel better about yourself, gain new skills and find more places to meet people. Working out (at a gym or running outside), cooking, learning how to play an instrument, and learning a new language are all good places to start. Meditation has also helped me a lot. I don't know if it applies to you but if you don't like your career try to figure out what you really want to do and go for it (you can always meet new people at classes or at your job).

[quote name='ph33r m3']There's no such thing as bein' depressed. Just being a pussy bitch who won't take control of his/her life.

First of all, get your fat ass to the gym. Download a Lil' Wayne/Drake album, blast it on your iPod, and hit the treadmill for an hour. Don't, I repeat, Don't make conversation with anyone. It's a gym you pussy bitch, not a gay bar.

Second, once you've worked out a little, go to the mall, get some new clothes, nothing to great, maybe hit the Macy's clearance rack. A nice dress shirt, shorts, pants, and a new pair of Vans and you'll be good to go.

Third, get laid. Do anything. Since you posted a 'depression' thread on a video-game message board I assume your still a virgin and half very-very-slim pickings, so the closest vagine you come in contact with daily, hit it.

After you get laid the rest of the shit will sort itself out.[/QUOTE]
Macy Clearance racks carry Ed Hardy tshirts?

[quote name='mediviper']www.meetup.com[/QUOTE]

Yep, it's a good one. I've found plenty of people who are into the super niche crap I'm into that way. Careful for the weeaboos.

[quote name='ph33r m3']After you get laid the rest of the shit will sort itself out.[/QUOTE]

...Thread over. Everyone out of the pool.

[quote name='Xevious']Although I listen to death metal instead of Lil' Wayne but whatever....[/QUOTE]

You're doing it right.

[quote name='llm962']One of the best ways I have met people is through volunteering. There are plenty of volunteer opportunities in your area (go to serve.gov). Pick something that interests you. You'll meet a lot of people with a lot of different interests. As much as I love gaming and hunting for good deals on games, it's really important to me socially to have some non-gamer friends or at least gamer friends who are willing to put down the controller once in a while. It will get you off the couch and out of your house. I have made a lot of great friends over the years volunteering once in a while. They're good people and tend to be lifelong friends.

Hope this helps.[/QUOTE]

This is great advice. It's also one of the many ways a lot people find friends in college. Having a common objective also helps break the ice and if you're not clicking with people you could always volunteer somewhere else.

And ditto about not gaming. All my friends are either non-gamers or casual players who rarely play games. I wouldn't have it any other way. It's a great balance.

With Valentine's Day coming up, I imagine a number of people (not just CAG in general) will be depressed...don't be! Valentine's Day was one of the absolute easiest nights to get laid. I'm dead serious.

If you have a couple buddies to go out with, hit a few bars. Find a group of girls, and enjoy the night. I'm sure this works on your own, but, I'm guessing your lady skills might not be too great if you're making a "depression" thread on a gaming forum. (No offense.)

That should help you feel a bit better. :)

(I have a gf this year...so Valentine's Day will be a chore.) :lol:

[quote name='DrFoo']Social interaction, pretty much the basis of human life, is over rated? Stop kidding yourself. Also it only has to be as expensive as you want it to be. If you like playing games all you have to do is drive/bike/walk to someones house and play games (and maybe bring some food). And the trust thing sounds more like an issue with you than the rest of the world.[/QUOTE]

Bah, that's a myth. I've proven that wrong several times over. Provided you find something to keep you occupied then social interaction is completely optional. Perhaps the internet is sufficient. It's not like I flip out if I go camping or the ISP has issues, I can do without. Hell I don't even have a cell phone...

There's nobody around here that still plays games. Maybe a few PC gamers if anything. It used to be different but when everyone became busy with things or moved away we stopped. Not just me, nobody can be trusted fully. Those that aren't prepared will be taken advantage of as most if not all people are out for themselves.

Anyway the point of the story is depression just means you haven't found a hobby you like. It doesn't depend on other people, money (hopefully), location, etc.

[quote name='ph33r m3']...Download a Lil' Wayne/Drake album, blast it on your iPod...[/QUOTE]

No. This will make you feel more depressed.

[quote name='DPsx7']There's nobody around here that still plays games. Maybe a few PC gamers if anything. It used to be different but when everyone became busy with things or moved away we stopped. Not just me, nobody can be trusted fully. Those that aren't prepared will be taken advantage of as most if not all people are out for themselves.[/QUOTE]

Now that's depressing. Just keep some casual friends to meet up and play Monster Hunter or Canasta once a week. You don't have to move in with them.

[quote name='Bathory']No. This will make you feel more depressed.[/QUOTE]

...For reminding him of the current questionable state of Hip Hop, the fact that he'll likely never achieve their level of success in his lifetime, or is it because they both produce relatively shitty music on a daily basis?

Inquiring minds would like to know.

As for the OP... get laid. Seriously. The world will sort itself out afterward for at least a few hours then work on acquiring a hobby you can stand or maybe a change in careers might do you some good. Moral the story is instead of wallowing in self pity you need to force yourself into dedicating the same amount of wasted time to motivating yourself to get up, get out and do something at least a few times a week to help balance your situation. You may hate it initially but in time you're bound to find something worthwhile that will keep you out of house, happy, healthy and fully preoccupied.

bread's done
Back