Sushi!!!!!!

Javery

CAGiversary!
Feedback
20 (100%)
It's bad enough I'm going to be working insanely late but my dinner just got here and those biotches forgot the wasabi. I can't decide what's worse though: forgetting the wasabi or forgetting the soy sauce.... I'll say soy sauce for now but I'm really pissed about the wasabi omission....

Soy sauce. Although, I would keep soy sauce in the fridge (unless there was no fridge at work, I guess). So I wouldn't be worrid about that. I wish I had money for sushi...

I went soy sauce also. But a little recipe for sushi lovers. I take a little terriyaki sauce a little hoysin sauce a dash of white wine and finish off with a few drops of chipotle hot sauce and blend well. Makes an outstanding sushi dipping sauce

[quote name='snotknocker']I went soy sauce also. But a little recipe for sushi lovers. I take a little terriyaki sauce a little hoysin sauce a dash of white wine and finish off with a few drops of chipotle hot sauce and blend well. Makes an outstanding sushi dipping sauce[/quote]

damn that sounds good...

Forgetting the soy sauce. The way I see, soy sauce and wasabi go with sushi the way that Ketchup and Mustard go with hamburgers...
If they forget or don't have Mustard, it's forgivable, but it's disappointing.
Forgeting the Ketchup is unforgivable :)

[quote name='javeryh'][quote name='snotknocker']I went soy sauce also. But a little recipe for sushi lovers. I take a little terriyaki sauce a little hoysin sauce a dash of white wine and finish off with a few drops of chipotle hot sauce and blend well. Makes an outstanding sushi dipping sauce[/quote]

damn that sounds good...[/quote]

Tell me how it tastes after you try it

[quote name='MorPhiend']I wish I had money for sushi...[/quote]

If I'm at work past 7 or so I get up to $30 to spend on dinner for whatever I want... :p

[quote name='cheapass Gundam']Must have wasabi if the fish is raw.

Helps kill parasites if there were any.[/quote]

That's what ginger is for... :wink:

Anway, forgetting the soy is unforgivable.

[quote name='cheapass Gundam']Must have wasabi if the fish is raw.

I can only hope that this was said in the "Wasabi is so hot it will kill any bugs on the fish and then can be used as a paint remover" kind of way and not a "Seriously, wasabi kills germs" way.

Because the 2nd way makes you look like a complete retard.

[quote name='Duo_Maxwell']I don't use either, IMO the real taste is in the preperation of the sushi, not in the sauce.[/quote]

wow, a true connoisseur!

I usually skip the wasabi. I'll just eat whatever they put in the roll. Soy sauce is preferred, but sometimes I eat a roll or two sans condiments.

[quote name='JimmieMac'][quote name='cheapass Gundam']Must have wasabi if the fish is raw.

I can only hope that this was said in the "Wasabi is so hot it will kill any bugs on the fish and then can be used as a paint remover" kind of way and not a "Seriously, wasabi kills germs" way.

Because the 2nd way makes you look like a complete retard.[/quote]

Care to shed some light on what you're basing that on?

People have gone out and done empirical studies and their findings are contrary to your claim:

Cheap ass link

Cheap ass link

[quote name='cheapass Gundam'][quote name='JimmieMac'][quote name='cheapass Gundam']Must have wasabi if the fish is raw.

People have gone out and done empirical studies and their findings are contrary to your claim:

Cheap ass link

Cheap ass link[/quote]

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side."

You're linking to a topic about alternative medicine, so, there's really nothing I can say. Just like other home remedies, if it works for you, it works for you. There's nothing saying X amount of wasabi kills x parts per million of possible dangerous levels of parasites found in fish. So how well it works is still up in the air.

But I'll tell you one thing, if you do eat a bad piece of fish and go to the doctor he better have a whole lot more for you to eat other than some wasabi paste.

[quote name='JimmieMac'][quote name='cheapass Gundam'][quote name='JimmieMac'][quote name='cheapass Gundam']Must have wasabi if the fish is raw.

Cheap ass link

Cheap ass link[/quote]

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side."

You're linking to a topic about alternative medicine, so, there's really nothing I can say. Just like other home remedies, if it works for you, it works for you. There's nothing saying X amount of wasabi kills x parts per million of possible dangerous levels of parasites found in fish. So how well it works is still up in the air.

But I'll tell you one thing, if you do eat a bad piece of fish and go to the doctor he better have a whole lot more for you to eat other than some wasabi paste.[/quote]

Oops, I pasted the same link twice. The first one should have been this:

Cheap ass link

That's an empirical study. I haven't found anything that backs up your claim, however.

[quote name='zewone']Soy sauce. I never will eat wasabi. Stuff sounds like its fire.[/quote]

It's not fire going down. I wouldn't say it was hot in the traditional sense. Actually, I think it actually has a rather mild flavor. The hotness comes from the acerbic scent. When you eat it, the fumes get into your sinuses, and that's what burns. It hits me a few seconds after a put it in my mouth.

For the record, forgetting the wasabi is far worse.

Wasabi. I could seriously put that on anything- Mei Fun, Chicken and Black Bean sauce, turnips, peanut butter and marshmallow fluff sandwhiches- anything. Soy sauce, not so much. That only works with cold pizza and BBQ- and the BBQ can only be pulled off with Guiness.

Yes, my middle name is rolaids...no, I would never put wasabi with turnips.

-K

Shoyu for sure. I don't really like Wasabi on my sushi......I prefer to eat lumps of it by itself.

Last time I did it my pupils doubled in size for 10 minutes and my friends thought I was a cartoon character. Hilarious.

[quote name='moiety']I usually skip the wasabi. I'll just eat whatever they put in the roll. Soy sauce is preferred, but sometimes I eat a roll or two sans condiments.[/quote]

rolls? California rolls? Those aren't sushi... :p

[quote name='MorPhiend'][quote name='moiety']I usually skip the wasabi. I'll just eat whatever they put in the roll. Soy sauce is preferred, but sometimes I eat a roll or two sans condiments.[/quote]

rolls? California rolls? Those aren't sushi... :p[/quote]

rolls aren't sushi in the traditional sense, but they are a form of sushi. Rolls also don't have to have fancy crap, I love a good tuna roll myself. However, it's true that they aren't sushi. I ate almost every day at a sushi bar when I lived in Japan, and never once did they have sushi rolls on the conveyor belt. They would only make it if you asked for it.

Wasabi all the way... Id be pissed, I love Jean Reno movies...
wasabi_dvd.jpg

:mrgree:

[quote name='Jrunt20x'][quote name='MorPhiend'][quote name='moiety']I usually skip the wasabi. I'll just eat whatever they put in the roll. Soy sauce is preferred, but sometimes I eat a roll or two sans condiments.[/quote]

rolls? California rolls? Those aren't sushi... :p[/quote]

rolls aren't sushi in the traditional sense, but they are a form of sushi. Rolls also don't have to have fancy crap, I love a good tuna roll myself. However, it's true that they aren't sushi. I ate almost every day at a sushi bar when I lived in Japan, and never once did they have sushi rolls on the conveyor belt. They would only make it if you asked for it.[/quote]

My fav is scallops...
drool.gif

I just got Hatsuhana sushi - it's in midtown. Holy shit is this some fancy sushi - and delicious. It's my 3rd meal in a row from there (I skipped breakfast this morning)...

I freaking love sushi - it is SWEET!

Anyone in the boston area needs to go to kotobukiya in the porter exchange building in porter square cambridge. Best sushi in new england and toronto, and only a buck a piece.

I don't put anything on sushi, though I did get a suprised a few weeks ago. I bought an 8 piece salmon sushi at a large korean grocery store nearby (only cost 6 bucks CAD, and is better than anything around here less than 1.50, twice the price I paid, a piece). It had wasabi, but it wasn't in a container. The box must have got knocked around in the car. When I got home and ate the first piece I felt this burning in my mouth. I looked down and noticed there was some green remnants in the box, but almost the entire amount of wasabi they gave me had stuck to that piece, and I didn't know until it was too late.

You need one to enjoy the other. I mean a little wasabi in your soy sauce is the way to enjoy some well deserved expensive Sushi.

For Katt it's the soy sauce...man she can drink that stuff as if it was a soft drink or something...all that sodium...nice

Half Japanese. Can't even talk about sushi with me without getting into a whole thing...

Personal faves: Uni, Amaebi, and Negitoro maki....

[quote name='alonzomourning23']Anyone in the boston area needs to go to kotobukiya in the porter exchange building in porter square cambridge. Best sushi in new england and toronto, and only a buck a piece.
[/QUOTE]

I've shopped at the market a few times, but I have yet to eat at the sushi bar. A buck each? I will keep that in mind next time I go. :D How are the other Japanese restaurants in there?

[quote name='moiety']I've shopped at the market a few times, but I have yet to eat at the sushi bar. A buck each? I will keep that in mind next time I go. :D How are the other Japanese restaurants in there?[/QUOTE]

There's ginza in chinatown which is pretty good, but kinda expensive too. Bluefin is good to (across from the kotobukiya grocery store), and probably the most authentic full restaurant I can think of, and not that expensive either. There are also a few places near the sushi place (in the same building) which serve real authentic japanese food, though nothing in the real authentic place is to my liking. The other places have authentic food as well, but it's the kind commonly found in the u.s., for the most part anyway. Normally I just go to the place with shumai,tempura etc., the normal japanese food that has transfered over (though restrictions on the type of meat I eat means most japanese food I can't eat). They also have a ramen noodle place (the only other one I know of in boston is just outside the prudential building, neither are that great though) and a bunch of other things there. Kotobukiya is known for their salmon though. Also, if you take the green line (whichever one goes to BU) to the packard stop, there's a super 88. It has a food court with the best bubble tea in the boston area (only one that could hold it's own with toronto), with the possible exception of "no 1 restaurant" in chinatown (my favourite place for chinese food, cheap rice plates and bubble tea, and a very funny fat guy who runs like a penguin). Most bubble tea in boston tastes more like tea than anything else, in good bubble tea the fruit flavor overrides everything else. The bubble tea place outside kotobukiya is the worst I've ever had, and I've tried it a few times thinking it can't really be that bad.

If you like teppanyaki there's Bisuteki in cambridge and another in revere (right off route 1) . There's also a pretty good one called Kyoto in tewksbury.

My favorite japanese place is Osaka tea garden in Nashua, NH though.

[quote name='Duo_Maxwell']I don't use either, IMO the real taste is in the preperation of the sushi, not in the sauce.[/QUOTE]

I see I am not the only person who don't use either. I always find the sauce and wasabi takes out the actual taste of the sushi.

Hmmmm... now I'm hungry for sushi...

One thing that bugs me about living in Chicago is the lack of fresh fish. I wouldn't count on the fish found in Lake Michigan. I have had decent sushi here but only when it's a sushi restaurant that imports their fish daily (and even then it's at least half a day old). Some unscrupulous restaurants I found out serve 2 day-old fish in their sushi. While it doesn't taste bad, it doesn't bring the freshness that truly fresh sushi can taste like. I remember visiting family in both NY and LA and both times, sadly, the sushi far outpaces anything here in the Midwest. I don't think it's the chefs' fault either. It's simply the lack of fresh resources that they have to work with.

[quote name='alonzomourning23']There's ginza in chinatown which is pretty good, but kinda expensive too. Bluefin is good to (across from the kotobukiya grocery store), and probably the most authentic full restaurant I can think of, and not that expensive either. There are also a few places near the sushi place (in the same building) which serve real authentic japanese food, though nothing in the real authentic place is to my liking. The other places have authentic food as well, but it's the kind commonly found in the u.s., for the most part anyway. Normally I just go to the place with shumai,tempura etc., the normal japanese food that has transfered over (though restrictions on the type of meat I eat means most japanese food I can't eat). They also have a ramen noodle place (the only other one I know of in boston is just outside the prudential building, neither are that great though) and a bunch of other things there. Kotobukiya is known for their salmon though. Also, if you take the green line (whichever one goes to BU) to the packard stop, there's a super 88. It has a food court with the best bubble tea in the boston area (only one that could hold it's own with toronto), with the possible exception of "no 1 restaurant" in chinatown (my favourite place for chinese food, cheap rice plates and bubble tea, and a very funny fat guy who runs like a penguin). Most bubble tea in boston tastes more like tea than anything else, in good bubble tea the fruit flavor overrides everything else. The bubble tea place outside kotobukiya is the worst I've ever had, and I've tried it a few times thinking it can't really be that bad.

If you like teppanyaki there's Bisuteki in cambridge and another in revere (right off route 1) . There's also a pretty good one called Kyoto in tewksbury.

My favorite japanese place is Osaka tea garden in Nashua, NH though.[/QUOTE]

Great, thanks so much for the response. I had the bubble tea outside of Kotobukiya and it was kinda meh, so I'll check out the one at the Super 88 someday. I've visited Bisuteki in Revere and that was really good. Disappointed that the ramen place isn't that good, I had wanted to eat there. You gave me a great list of places to look forward to. Thanks again!

[quote name='javeryh']Damn I love sushi!!! I'm enjoying some Hatsuhana right now - Dragon Roll and Spicy Yellowtail. mmmmm.....[/QUOTE]

Just had some unagi (freshwater eel) myself this afternoon. I love its texture and sweet taste and how it melts in my mouth like cotton candy.:drool:

[quote name='Starwishi']Cant eat it without the soy sauce man. Thats like eating a hotdog without ketchup. Its just wrong.[/QUOTE]

Not totally true. The soy sauce is supposed to be an enhancer. In Japan, some chefs would be insulted by using soy sauce when unnecessary (like in unagi since it's sweet).

bread's done
Back