Help With My Irrational Fear Of Flying

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#31 Magehart

Magehart

It's on like Donkey Kong!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 February 2010 - 07:42 PM

You do know that they have auto takeoff, land and pilot right? Pilots literally only have to taxi the airplane these days unless they want to do more. Some aircraft have built in flight envelopes that the pilot can't fly out of. Our odds of arriving safely on airlines is vastly superior than any other form of transportation.

Yes I know. What I was saying is that if we made airlines completely autonomous we'd be much better off. Airline travel would be cheaper and safer but no amount of PR could convince the public of this. Pilots do more harm than good when flying airplanes.
Posted Image

Mr Simon was there, too, as well as other Germans who lived through the Berlin blockade like Gerhard Kapito.
"After the war, we looked on the Allies as occupiers," he says. "But after that we came to see them as our friends."

Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

#32 62t

62t

Zune Duck!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 February 2010 - 07:58 PM

just be glad that your school orchestra is good enough/has enough people to do something like that. My high school orchestra never had any trip while the bands wen to all sort of neat place.

My trade list: http://www.cheapassg...ead.php?t=42397

3DS FC 0731-4770-3312

#33 depascal22

depascal22

Daddy Fat Sacks

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 February 2010 - 07:59 PM

I have flown 6 times in the last three years. For all the fear, there are some cool moments in the air. In 2008 when I took off from Orlando we we're 30,000 feet up and saw the space shuttle shooting off into space. One of the coolest things I ever saw. My only wish was that I had my camera out to take a pic of it. It was amazing.

That sounds incredible. I can't imagine what it would look like from the air.

As for flying, don't forget to bring a book. Also, don't forget to buy a water and a snack when you get to the terminal. The snacks they give these days aren't even close to adequate.

As for 9/11, I guess us old foagies should understand that younger people didn't have anything else to shock them before 9/11. Personally, seeing the Challenger explode while I was in kindergarten terrified me of taking shuttle flights. Still haven't gotten over that one.

#34 GuilewasNK

GuilewasNK

No gimmicks necessary.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 February 2010 - 08:39 PM

That sounds incredible. I can't imagine what it would look like from the air.

It was amazing. It was crystal clear out that day and we had a great view of the ocean and beachline. Then the pilot comes on and informs us the shuttle is lifting off and banks in that direction so we can see. Thank goodness I was in the right side of the plane with a window seat. The shuttle was moving so fast, and it looked like a cloud was pushing the shuttle into space. In was absolutely surreal to see that thing going into space from 30,000. It was such a once in a lifetime thing that I'll remember that image forever.

I like how you're afraid of 9/11 and you're in fucking North Dakota. Please.

Hey. Don't be talkin' trash about North Dakota. That's where I grew up. =;

Posted Image

It is illegal to assault the internet. - Xi Yanchun

click for my list ---> Posted Image RPGS added!

#35 encendido5

encendido5

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 February 2010 - 09:02 PM

As for 9/11, I guess us old foagies should understand that younger people didn't have anything else to shock them before 9/11. Personally, seeing the Challenger explode while I was in kindergarten terrified me of taking shuttle flights. Still haven't gotten over that one.

Yep, that was my kindergarten too. That was pretty crazy, especially since you're a little kid excited about space.

fs_overall.pngiZSbQwp.gif

#36 Javery

Javery

Drug-Dealer-Keeper-Awayer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 February 2010 - 09:20 PM

I was in 5th grade when the Challenger exploded. They even wheeled a TV into the classroom so we could all watch (which was a BIG deal back then). I'll never forget it.

--- Bella's Arcade --- Donkey Kong + ---

#37 dastly75

dastly75

Resident Squirrel

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 February 2010 - 09:28 PM

It's just the 2-3 minutes beforehand as he's plunging straight down in a 10-ton hunk of metal, probably on fire, that'll get the OP...

2 minutes is all I need for panic sex.

From Mallrats: "He was on this plane to New Mexico when all of the sudden the hydraulics went. The plane starts spinning around, going out of control, so he figures it's all over and whips it out and starts beating it right there. So all the other passengers take a cue from him and they start whipping it out and beating like mad! So all the passengers are beating off, plummeting to their certain doom, when all of the sudden, the hydraulics kick back in. The plane rights itself and they land safely and everyone puts their penises or, whatever, you know, away and deboard. No one mentions the phenomenon to anyone else."

From Cabin Fever: "Its like being on a plane, when you know its gonna crash -everyone around you is screaming, yelling "Were going down! Were
going down!" And all you really wanna do is grab the person next to
you and Fuck the shit out of them, cuz you know youre gonna be
dead soon, anyway.
"

Cheap Ass Giraffes Grifball Team Captain

Posted Image

Posted Image

#38 Ski Hawk

Ski Hawk

Digimon Fanboy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 February 2010 - 09:39 PM

Statistically speaking; If we took all pilots and cockpits out of passenger airliners we'd have better odds of arriving safely at our destination. There would be no one to auto correct for what they believe to be a mistake and no controls to hijack the plane from. Planes are inherently safe (like cars and guns); people aren't.

With that said; you'll be fine. Odds are nobody will pull any shit on your plane because you're flying from a crappy part of the country to a lesser crappy part. If you were flying East-> West coast or some other major route then yes you would be a bigger target.

Also; if shit does go south two things will happen. You'll die and have a place in the history books or more likely your airplane will kick the shit out of the terrorist and you'll get laid every time you go to a bar.

So; you should fly on the airplane not to go to Disneyworld but to hope that you can have a future story for easy boobage.

Thanks, this post helped me out a lot. I figured that the route I was flying was likely a factor, since I heard that flights coming into the US are more likely to be targeted. I just get a little uneasy when I think how easy it'd be to sneak liquid explosives onto a plane. But I know it'd be more difficult more them to be successfully detonated and that the passengers would likely take action.

My big issue is that I like to be in control, something I have to relinquish when I step on a plane. But I know everything will be okay.

#39 crunchb3rry

crunchb3rry

Posted 10 February 2010 - 04:38 AM

From Cabin Fever: "Its like being on a plane, when you know its gonna crash -everyone around you is screaming, yelling "Were going down! Were
going down!" And all you really wanna do is grab the person next to
you and Fuck the shit out of them, cuz you know youre gonna be
dead soon, anyway.
"

The only quote that matters from that movie is "PANCAKES!"

#40 lilboo

lilboo

Not addicted to WoW

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 February 2010 - 05:37 AM

Just make sure you report any scary accents or notice any turbans. If not, you'll be fine.

Now Playing:
:pc: Hearthstone: Heroes of Warcraft

:pc: Diablo III: Reaper of Souls

:wiiu: Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze

:3ds: Animal Crossing: New Leaf

:3ds: Pokemon Battle Trozei