Need a quality yellow highlighter for college novels

Ryukahn

CAGiversary!
Feedback
29 (100%)
I tried a sharpie accent highlighter and it bled through the page (paperback novel), so it wasn't something I could use. Any suggestions on yellow highlighters that don't bleed throw the pages, preferably small tips?

I've never found one that worked well with paperback novel pages. The paper's just to thin.

Best bet is to use a pen or pencil and underline rather than highlight when dealing with thin paper in my experience.

There are some highlighters that aren't ink based. They are...wax or something. It's a material you actually apply on the page instead of...well, in it.

Try finding some of those. I'm sure any office supply store or Target or Walmart has them.

bah, I don't like highlighters. I write in the margins and take notes. What's the point of highlighting huge swaths of paragraphs? It's not like you're going to remember it word for word.

[quote name='detectiveconan16']bah, I don't like highlighters. I write in the margins and take notes. What's the point of highlighting huge swaths of paragraphs? It's not like you're going to remember it word for word.[/QUOTE]

I was a margin writer in College also- Highlighting is great if you need to reference the material real quick, but if you are trying to retain anything, writing the general idea or key points down goes a lot further

[quote name='detectiveconan16']bah, I don't like highlighters. I write in the margins and take notes. What's the point of highlighting huge swaths of paragraphs? It's not like you're going to remember it word for word.[/QUOTE]

These are small paperback novels, they don't have wide margins. Plus, I don't feel like writing, as I'd just use a separate piece of paper to take notes. Reading these novels is boring (so is reading in general!), so I don't want to make it even worse by dropping the book every few pages to write down a bunch of notes. Highlighting makes it easier to read it then go and skim back over the highlighted stuff.

[quote name='Sito']I was a margin writer in College also- Highlighting is great if you need to reference the material real quick, but if you are trying to retain anything, writing the general idea or key points down goes a lot further[/QUOTE]

I don't care about any of this junk once I am out of the class, so long term memory means nothing. It's reading requirements for stupid courses that I'd never take if they weren't required.

[quote name='Sito']I was a margin writer in College also- Highlighting is great if you need to reference the material real quick, but if you are trying to retain anything, writing the general idea or key points down goes a lot further[/QUOTE]

I do a mix in my research work.

I'll highlight sections of text I think I may want to quote directly or paraphrase and cite. But write a lot of notes in the margin, or just put a bracket around a paragraph etc. if it's something I just need to be able to find and know why I flagged it when working on an article or class lecture etc.

But yeah, as he noted, with novels you don't have much margins so highlighting or underling is the easiest way to mark passages you may need to look over again when writing a paper etc.

Googling around, I also found out there is highlighting "tape" out there, which sort of works like those white out things.

I can't find the wax highlighters, nor know a better way to describe them, but the point is that they are out there are aren't liquid at all, and thus won't bleed through.

So, there. Two options.

Hell, as far as a wax highlighter you'd could probably use a light yellow crayon. Colored pencil would work too, but with the tip may be too fine for highlighting easily.

Search for a "bible highlighter", a lot of people post specific brands of highlighter that won't bleed through really thin bible pages, so they'll be perfect for a standard page thickness. The only thing is I did a quick search and some people are still suggesting the Sharpie Accent.

Yeah I saw something called a Zebrite listed when I looked up a similar search earlier, which I had never heard of. Has anyone ever used one of those?

Highlighting?

Real men grab a pen and a paper and re-write any possible word or sentence that has the potential to become a "note" whether it comes from a book or the professor.

Buy an extra pen and paper (you will need it) and become a man.

Just use the tip of the highlighter, not the broad edge. It will provide enough 'highlighting' but not too much. Also good is to use a pen.

Highlighting is better for reference, margin notes are better for retention.

That said, I'd prefer to forget some of the novels I read in college. I hope you're not being subjected to fucking Tristram Shandy or other such nonsense.

[quote name='Magus8472']That said, I'd prefer to forget some of the novels I read in college. I hope you're not being subjected to fucking Tristram Shandy or other such nonsense.[/QUOTE]

Nah, nothing intense, at least not yet. It's just boring shit that has nothing to do with my major, so I do not need to remember any of it after I take the test and/or write the essay for it. If it was for my major, obviously I would be taking more notes, since the stuff would be not only interesting but relevant to what I want to do.

[quote name='Strell']Googling around, I also found out there is highlighting "tape" out there, which sort of works like those white out things.

I can't find the wax highlighters, nor know a better way to describe them, but the point is that they are out there are aren't liquid at all, and thus won't bleed through.

So, there. Two options.[/QUOTE]

China Marker: http://www.sharpie.com/enUS/Product/Sharpie_Peel-Off_China_Marker.html

Highlighter Tape: http://www.amazon.com/Tombow-Highli...=UTF8&s=office-products&qid=1265862113&sr=8-4

high lighting helps you focus on the important stuff/terms... duh... so you don't have to waste your time reading the author's stupid ass jokes or something like that

[quote name='Ryukahn']Nah, nothing intense, at least not yet. It's just boring shit that has nothing to do with my major, so I do not need to remember any of it after I take the test and/or write the essay for it. If it was for my major, obviously I would be taking more notes, since the stuff would be not only interesting but relevant to what I want to do.[/QUOTE]

You know they make you take these classes for a reason.

[quote name='c0rnpwn']You know they make you take these classes for a reason.[/QUOTE]

Yes, it is to fill out classes and for the university to make more money.

The university calls it making you more well rounded.

[quote name='fatherofcaitlyn']Yes, it is to fill out classes and for the university to make more money.

The university calls it making you more well rounded.[/QUOTE]

Let's go with both reasons instead of one or the other, shall we? ;)

[quote name='fatherofcaitlyn']Yes, it is to fill out classes and for the university to make more money.

The university calls it making you more well rounded.[/QUOTE]

This would be correct. Please tell me what my "History of Jews from 700-1800" that filled a secondary History AND a ethics pre-req had to do with my degree in Political Science and Information Analysis.

It has nothing to do with it. Universities gouge their students by making them take a set number of courses, generating a fixed amount of income, and also, you will find that these "pre-reqs" course books are often more expensive than your core class books.

Back in my college days. Which were really, just years of failure. It took me 6 years to really settle down and focus enough to get a 2 year degree. I had this horribly arrogant attitude of 'highlighting is for the weak!' 'I'll just look at the words and memorize them. I dont need any extra help!" That might explain that second sentence up there.

yeah i find it easier to take notes. lucky for me my teacher likes to give open note quizes so the notes are better than highlighting the book.

The ideal of college isn't to prepare you for any specific job -- else that would be vocational school. College is supposed to teach you how to *think.* And the only way you can successfully do that is by exposing yourself to many disciplines.

[quote name='c0rnpwn']The ideal of college isn't to prepare you for any specific job -- else that would be vocational school. College is supposed to teach you how to *think.* And the only way you can successfully do that is by exposing yourself to many disciplines.[/QUOTE]

Agreed.

I did journalism for my undergrad and had to take all kinds of courses in all kinds of field. Math, science, literature, history, political science, economics, accounting etc.

I found it very beneficial. On the one hand you learn a little bit about a lot of different topics.

But really the main benefit is developing your critical thinking skills, ways of thinking etc. and the more topics you're forced to do that with the more rounded you end.

Of course, being a professor now I'm very biased toward the value of college, being well rounded, being intellectual etc.

But that said, I of course acknowledge that college isn't for everyone and a person just wants to get a job and make money, then college might not be the best option vs. going to a vocational school and learning a trade and getting into the workforce at a younger age and without student loan debt. The only problem is a lot of people are lazy and don't want blue collar jobs.

But if getting a job and making money is the main goal, and they don't mind working hard, then they shouldn't waste their time getting a degree and taking classes that don't interest them, nor my time by being disinterested and passive students in my class rooms. Go become a mechanic or electrician or plumber or any other number of pretty well paying trade jobs. Or try your luck at starting a small business, real estate etc.

There are better ways to get in the workforce earlier and with less debt than college if you're not dead set on a particular white collar career or interested in becoming well rounded, enjoying the college experience etc.

bread's done
Back