Lord of the Rings Trilogy Blu-ray Jumbo SteelBook™ Best Buy Exclusive

iNCREDiPiNOY

CAGiversary!
Feedback
216 (100%)
The Lord of the Rings Trilogy [Theatrical Edition] (9-Disc) Blu-ray Jumbo SteelBook™ (StickerBook) [Best Buy Exclusive]

6735bc07e2ad0f1065df1c6fcf63d1aao.jpg

Price: $84.99 MSRP
Pre-Order Price: $64.99 Sale
Release Date: April 6, 2010
SKU: 9794135
Pre-Order Date: March 2 & 7, 2010
Minimum Deposit: $5.00 Required
Limited Quantity: 5-10 copies per store
Size: Jumbo
Other: StickerBook
Link: BestBuy.com
Store Locator: BestBuy.com

According to Brana, Best Buy is getting LotR Trio on BD Jumbo SteelBook but printed on Sticker. Now we have 4 different versions of LotR Trio (Best Buy, Future Shop, FNAC and Amazon.de). Best Buy are the stickerbook, Future Shop is jumbo, FNAC (French) get 3 individual steelbook cases, and Amazon.de (Germany) will have 3 individual steelbook cases housed in a slipcase.

Edit: Pre-order this and get a Steelbook case for free. Required $5 deposit. Must order between 2/4/10 and 4/5/10. Limit 3 per customer.

What is Stickerbook?
Stickerbook is printed on a high gloss photo sheet then laminate on the blank steelbook.
postcard-104341-3557-b.jpg

What is SteelBook Jumbo?
SteelBook Jumbo holds up to 6 disc, measuring by 6.7" x 5.4" x 1.14"
JumboProducts.jpg

2lj58wx.jpg

Courtesy to mmcvey (Bluray.com)

Fine Print: Available Tuesday, April 6, $5 deposit required. DVDs and Blu-ray Discs not included with Steelbook case. Pre-order must be made between 02/04/10 - 04/05/10. Release date subject to change. Limit 3 per title per customer. While supplies last. No dealer. Good in USA only. Void where prohibit. Distributed in the USA by Warner Home Video, 4000 Warner Blvd, Burbank, CA 91522. All rights reserved.

Last edited by a moderator:
:lol: no worries...I was wondering if it was some sort of play on words. I'm assuming that there's no pics of these yet? Amazon.de sounds more tempting at the moment...though I really want to wait till the extended editions hit...whatever year that may be.

Aren't a lot of people "boycotting" this version because it does not contain the extended scenes? Looking at the Amazon reviews, people are just trashing that version left and right with over hundred 1 star "reviews" even though it isnt out.

I can see this pissing a lot of people off since, they are going to rerelease it again with the extended version later on.

Can't wait, unlike most i actually prefer the theater cut.. i don't have time to sit and watch a 5000 hour version of a movie :p

def picking up this steelbook

[quote name='ssjmichael']For that price and that many discs I don't know why they couldn't just put both extended and theatrical in there.[/QUOTE]

So they can make $$$ from people buying this and then make more $$$ from some of them (along with those who waited) down the road by putting out the extended versions in a bigger set with a higher price tag.

one thing i want from the EE edition, although it's unlikely due to theatrical edition availability, is to include both theatrical and extended scenes in single disc. king kong did it

Theatrical version = FAIL :(

Why must they tempt me with the steelbook... BOO that that! Ill pass on this one until the extended editions come out on Blu.

[quote name='Mako1215']So the stickerbook is pretty much a cheap steelbook?
mmmm choices choices.[/QUOTE]
that's right and its extremely limited that doesn't meet the requirement. so i have to pre-order those right away.

[quote name='dmaul1114']So they can make $$$ from people buying this and then make more $$$ from some of them (along with those who waited) down the road by putting out the extended versions in a bigger set with a higher price tag.[/QUOTE]

This.

I will wait it out but thanks for posting anyway OP.

I want a steelbook, but I don't want to pay Futureshop import prices so I might just go to Best Buy on this one...

[quote name='AceBB6']Aren't a lot of people "boycotting" this version because it does not contain the extended scenes? Looking at the Amazon reviews, people are just trashing that version left and right with over hundred 1 star "reviews" even though it isnt out.

I can see this pissing a lot of people off since, they are going to rerelease it again with the extended version later on.[/QUOTE]

I'm in that boat, though I'd love to have any version of these movies on Blu-ray. It basically comes down to how patient you are? If anything, I could buy the Theatrical, then give them away as a gift and buy the Extended versions in 2011 or 2012 when they're released?

Truthfully though, the "Extended Editions" are the "true" versions of the films imho (though Peter Jackson has been quoted as saying he views the Theatrical versions as the true versions of the films).

I do think it's sickening though that New Line/Time Warner is trying to make as much money off of this "cash cow" as they can.

Regardless of whether the EE is coming out, having a theatrical edition is still useful and isn't also included in the EE. Cuts were made very deliberately, so you're left with a carefully edited-down version. It's fun to view them every now and then in the same form as how I did at 12:01 AM -- I'd probably show this version to anyone for the first time.

Of course, part of this is just an excuse to make me feel better about buying the theatrical cuts on DVD :p

[quote name='iNCREDiPiNOY']that's right and its extremely limited that doesn't meet the requirement. so i have to pre-order those right away.[/QUOTE]

Anyway you can post pics of the 3 different ones???

[quote name='porieux']I haven't even opened my EE DVD of RotK yet...sigh.[/QUOTE]

Me too, I picked it up for $5 at Five Below about a year ago and still have not opened it.

[quote name='dmaul1114']So they can make $$$ from people buying this and then make more $$$ from some of them (along with those who waited) down the road by putting out the extended versions in a bigger set with a higher price tag.[/QUOTE]

LOL, exactly. It has nothing to do with "can't." It's all about the "won't." The studio knows this is a cash cow.

if blu ray is capable of it, i wish they'd release a single set where you could pick which cut of the movie you watch and it just branches intelligently when it goes to certain scenes that are exclusive to the TE/EE cut of the films...

personally, unless this set is ridiculously cheap on sale somewhere, I'll wait and see how big a difference there is between this and the EE set... my DVDs look pretty good to me, so I can wait however long it takes them to release it...

[quote name='ItsaMeMario']if blu ray is capable of it, i wish they'd release a single set where you could pick which cut of the movie you watch and it just branches intelligently when it goes to certain scenes that are exclusive to the TE/EE cut of the films...

personally, unless this set is ridiculously cheap on sale somewhere, I'll wait and see how big a difference there is between this and the EE set... my DVDs look pretty good to me, so I can wait however long it takes them to release it...[/QUOTE]

Of course it's possible but the money spent to do that could be spent to rerelease it and milk customers and that is a no brainer to New Line.

Yeah, its possible...it was possible on DVD. That's what they did with the Apocalypse Now: The Complete Dossier release. Basically, the Redux version is all there, but if you choose the original version, it just cuts past those extra scenes and you have the original cut. No problem.

[quote name='ItsaMeMario']if blu ray is capable of it, i wish they'd release a single set where you could pick which cut of the movie you watch and it just branches intelligently when it goes to certain scenes that are exclusive to the TE/EE cut of the films...[/QUOTE]

The DVD combo release that has the branching option took a bit of a picture quality hit compared to the separate releases for the extended and theatrical editions. Not to mention that the combo edition also is Dolby 5.1 only. The extended boxset edition has DTS 6.1 on them which makes a BIG difference.

Really eager to see what these actually look like... as much as I hate being DP'd, it might be worth it if I find a particular steelbook worthwhile :)

[quote name='wampa8jedi']Really eager to see what these actually look like... as much as I hate being DP'd, it might be worth it if I find a particular steelbook worthwhile :)[/QUOTE]

Hating being DP'd huh....heh. :p

I will also wait for the extended cut. Already got double-dipped the first time around, I don't aim to be duped again.

[quote name='A Happy Panda']Hating being DP'd huh....heh. :p

I will also wait for the extended cut. Already got double-dipped the first time around, I don't aim to be duped again.[/QUOTE]

Good call. If you double-dipped on the DVDs, then double-dipped on the Blu-rays, you'd be quadruple-dipping on the LotR films. Might as well forward your paycheck to Hollywood at that point.

I'm also waiting for the extended cuts. They are the definitive versions of the films. Theatrical cuts will not do.

[quote name='drktrpr1']Dang I can't believe that they're not even going to include the Extended Editions for that bloated price. Gonna pass.[/QUOTE]

This. That's total BS. Will wait.

Someone at blu-ray.com has a pic. Go to Forums then Steelbook. $5 deposit required for preordering and the case looks like the same one offered in Best Buy Mexico.

The poster says disc not included in Steelbook so this will probably be the same way they handled the Snow White and UP Steelbook release.

bread's done
Back