Taking Notes -- Laptop or Pen & Paper?

• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

#31 Sir_Fragalot

Sir_Fragalot

wants Startropics 3.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 February 2010 - 07:53 AM

Just a plane notebook and a #2 pencil. I could not use a PC for notes, I tried it but I actually feel I learn better by notes hand written on a notebook then typed. Plus no worries about if I don't have my notes because they are not on my flash drive or whatever.

#32 DrFoo

DrFoo

I think I can beat you.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 February 2010 - 08:45 AM

Get a small audio recorder, tape the teacher...playback later...transcribe to a notebook if you want...

There are some great small recorders that'll digitally record to flash memory.

Good luck figuring out the 6 pages of formulas your professor writes each lecture from the sound he makes when he writes them... or maybe you're not an engineering major :D

And of course pen and paper for me. I think I've seen a total of one person out of the one or two hundred in my classes use a touch screen for notes. Nobody actually types anything out due to the noise and difficulty of typing out crazy equations.

#33 ATK

ATK

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 February 2010 - 02:52 PM

http://lifehacker.co...y-any-time-soon
http://lifehacker.co...or-typing-notes
lifehacker asked your same question a couple days ago.

Yeah :P. That is where I got the idea from. Just wanted to find out what CAGs use.

Posted Image

#34 shieryda

shieryda

Opus Eponymous

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 February 2010 - 03:41 PM

Old-fashioned way. And use a 3 or 4-color click pen for chemistry and biology classes.

#35 Magehart

Magehart

It's on like Donkey Kong!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 February 2010 - 03:47 PM

I can do pen and paper on my Thinkpad x61t laptop.

This.

Just get a nice lenovo or other brand and use your laptop as your paper. It's freaking great if you can swing the price.
Posted Image

Mr Simon was there, too, as well as other Germans who lived through the Berlin blockade like Gerhard Kapito.
"After the war, we looked on the Allies as occupiers," he says. "But after that we came to see them as our friends."

Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

#36 dmaul1114

dmaul1114

Posted 12 February 2010 - 04:53 PM

Good luck figuring out the 6 pages of formulas your professor writes each lecture from the sound he makes when he writes them... or maybe you're not an engineering major :D

Taping a lecture and taking notes aren't mutually exclusive. I've never been a taper, but the class mates (or my students currently) who tape lectures are also taking notes during class. Then they have notes and the tape for reviewing.

3DS Friend Code: 2595-0524-8826

Bluray Collection
DVD Collection

#37 Squall835

Squall835

Gamer without fear!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 February 2010 - 06:57 PM

Just a plane notebook and a #2 pencil. I could not use a PC for notes, I tried it but I actually feel I learn better by notes hand written on a notebook then typed. Plus no worries about if I don't have my notes because they are not on my flash drive or whatever.

Same here. I think if the OP wants to retain as much information as possible, physically writing it out seems to be the best way.

#38 Mr. Anderson

Mr. Anderson

spends too much time here

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 February 2010 - 08:03 PM

Pen and paper is the best way to take notes. Physically writing out the information you receive in class goes a long way in helping you retain it.

#39 Koggit

Koggit

almost sorry

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 February 2010 - 12:02 AM

Pen and paper is the best way to take notes for some people. Physically writing out the information you receive in class goes a long way in helping some people retain it.

fixed

Fuck notes, i'm 100% auditory learner, i show up to lecture & try to focus, the end. taking notes distracts me. it's all about the person's learning style, everyone is different, and anyone who thinks otherwise is wrong.

#40 The Great Muta

The Great Muta

Posted 13 February 2010 - 12:31 AM

At work, pen and paper. 'Cause I work in a kitchen.

Otherwise, I use my iPhone.

#41 Cracka

Cracka

www.hempjewelryworld.com

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 February 2010 - 06:32 PM

I never have to worry about a battery in my pen and paper going dead

#42 Over easy

Over easy

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 February 2010 - 07:00 PM

Pen and paper, mostly because I was a engineering major, and I'm used to taking notes with pen and paper. Also, laptops 7 years ago are not the smallest thing to be carrying around. The ones that are small and light enough costs a pretty penny.
Posted Image

#43 Mr. Anderson

Mr. Anderson

spends too much time here

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 February 2010 - 09:16 PM

fixed

Fuck notes, i'm 100% auditory learner, i show up to lecture & try to focus, the end. taking notes distracts me. it's all about the person's learning style, everyone is different, and anyone who thinks otherwise is wrong.

Everyone is different, but kids in my classes that don't take notes usually drop the class or get crappy grades.

#44 rodeojones903

rodeojones903

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 February 2010 - 10:35 PM

I was a pen and paper guy in college.

#45 SneakyPenguin

SneakyPenguin

Agent of SHIELD

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 February 2010 - 10:40 PM

Laptop almost exclusively, even in math classes. I needed to be able to read my notes afterward, and hand writing them made that damn near impossible.

By four o'clock I've discounted suicide in favor of killing everyone else in the entire world instead.

#46 FroMann

FroMann

Follow FroMann!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 February 2010 - 11:01 PM

Pen and paper still works best, but I rather type on a laptop to keep my notes more organized.

#47 TheShepherdSauce

TheShepherdSauce

thick & hearty

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 February 2010 - 11:54 PM

Taping a lecture and taking notes aren't mutually exclusive. I've never been a taper, but the class mates (or my students currently) who tape lectures are also taking notes during class. Then they have notes and the tape for reviewing.

This. As a senior in college, I've found this method very reliable. Taking good notes during class is invaluable. However, there are a lot of times when something you wrote down doesn't make sense or you might have missed the gist of something.

Often times, however, you'll want to go to a certain point in the lecture to review your notes but aren't sure where in the recording it is. My advice is to put a time stamp on the margin of your notes every 10-15 minutes or important topic so that you can easily find that point in your recording.

#48 JolietJake

JolietJake

Posted 14 February 2010 - 02:52 AM

Even though i write down notes in a notebook, i rarely review them. Just the act of writing them down seems to be enough to basically memorize them. I mostly take notes so i don't have to ask about it later and look like i wasn't paying attention.

I enjoy the videos and puns posted by Joliet Jake. I think he's almost as funny as my favorite comedian, Dane Cook. Now excuse me while I listen to Fallout Boy's music on their myspace page.

#49 Spacepest

Spacepest

Your Tax Dollars At Work

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 February 2010 - 03:03 AM

I was the ultimate in OCD.

I'd do my initial notes and graphs on pen and paper in class. When I got home, I would reorganize my notes on my PC and maybe scan the graph/illustration in. For me, I found that going through the notes a second time to type it up on a PC was an excellent way to study. I have never used a laptop in a class, and my laptop has never gone to school with me.

I also found people later who were willing to buy my nice neat notes with cash or other favors, and one professor liked my notes so much that he asked if he could use them for future lectures in return for an instant A.
"Videogames...why waste good technology (and $$$ ) on science and medicine?"

#50 help1

help1

What a dumb username

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 February 2010 - 03:28 AM

Pen and Paper. Hasn't ever failed me, and I doubt it ever will.

#51 basilofbkrst

basilofbkrst

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 February 2010 - 04:26 AM

pen/pencil and my Geabox notes binder as well as recorder. take notes in class, listen to recording when going over test prep stuff. This is until MS Courier comes out. That will be all Ill need.

#52 Zodiii

Zodiii

Posted 14 February 2010 - 07:24 PM

Everyone is different, but kids in my classes that don't take notes usually drop the class or get crappy grades.

I have 1 single subject, spiral notebook that I used for 4 semesters. It has ~12 pages of notes in it, half of which are doodles, and I graduated with a 3.6 (Not the best by any means) and never dropped a class and made 4.0s in 3 of those semesters, and a 3.75 in the other

But, OP, pencil and paper is the way to go, if you are going to take notes. I found that if I had my laptop I just ended up on Facebook or reading blogs. I only wrote down incredibly important things, though, like "Prioritization Protocols..." and never made it further than that. My notebook is basically a listing of Topics we discussed with absolutely no information after that.

On the rare occasion it would get drilled down one more level, so it would have say 3 different types of the overall topic listed, but that's about it.

#53 JStryke

JStryke

Angel With A Shotgun

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 February 2010 - 12:42 AM

I haven't been to college, but if I had the choice, I'd go pen and paper as well. Not so much for easier / quicker note taking, but knowing me, if I was on a laptop, I'd be so distracted doing non-school related things it wouldn't be funny.

I stream on Twitch. At least two times a week. http://www.twitch.tv/jstryker416

JStryker416.png