Photo
* * * * * 8 votes

Your collection - post a photo - show us what'cha got!

• Please log in to reply
5931 replies to this topic

#3751 Kazaganthi

Kazaganthi

Blue Rogue

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 January 2013 - 12:20 AM

I don't know if this will help anyone but it might so I'll post it.

I have a whole foot locker full of controllers, AV cables, power cables, etc. and the way it used to be it would always turn into a gigantic rats nest regardless of how neatly I wrapped and tied the cords. So I went to the Dollar Store and bought a few boxes of the medium sized zip lock bags which are perfect sized for a controller and put each cable/controller into it's own bag. Since everything is in a bag each item slides around, nothing gets tangled together and it's quick and easy to find whatever you're looking for since the bags are clear and you can still see it all.

Pretty basic tip, but I had a big tangled ball of controllers and cords for a long time before I figured it out so just figured I'd mention it. I don't have the room that some of you guys do to put everything out on display so I keep about half of my stuff in storage bins or trunks.

I have a huge problem with dust for some reason. So I also use zip lock for cartridges and the like.

#3752 Vinny

Vinny

Bang, bang... pew...

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 January 2013 - 12:20 AM

Be a nurse. Best job out there right now if you can't do the work. Don't need 20 degrees and you're almost guaranteed a job.

I see this often but part of me question the validity of this... if it's so simple and they're in such demand, then why is that demand still there?

I don't think the demand is there for regular nurses (who are basically secretaries), but for registered nurses who need a degree and need their certification.

Man, we really need to stay focused in this thread...

Currently playing: 

:wiiu: Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD - :D

:vita: Uncharted: Golden Abyss - :)

:ps3: Zone of the Enders HD - :-|

fyreboltx.png
║My Tradelists: Games, Guides & Game Related GoodiesWantlist

#3753 aptanor

aptanor

Posted 23 January 2013 - 12:31 AM

This is exactly why I decided not to pursue any further education. I definitely feel like I made the right choice, I don't make a ton of money but I make enough to pay my bills and feed my collection, and I have absolutely no debt whatsoever.

On an on-topic note I really feel like I want to rearrange things, but I can't think of any way to put things together other than the way it is now. I want to be able display the Virtual Boy I just got, but I have nowhere for it :<

Posted Image

#3754 Olengie

Olengie

Rise is Best Girl.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 January 2013 - 12:55 AM

Be a nurse. Best job out there right now if you can't do the work. Don't need 20 degrees and you're almost guaranteed a job.

Oh really? I'm studying to be a Nurse right now. First a CNA then an RN. But I have to deal with all the General Education first, and actually go through the Program. I would've been a CNA by now, but someone bought my spot in the ROP Program. :(

I see this often but part of me question the validity of this... if it's so simple and they're in such demand, then why is that demand still there?

I don't think the demand is there for regular nurses (who are basically secretaries), but for registered nurses who need a degree and need their certification.

It is valid Vinny. Nurses are in big demand due to the aging Baby Boomer population. The US actually has a critical shortage of Practitioners for some time now and are forced to ask other Countries for their Nurses. However, this all based on trends and may change with new Health Reforms and Population Growth.

Not at all, I believe you are talking about the Office Nurses. Any type of Nurse is critical in a hospital setting. Even the CNAs and LVNs are a crucial part. RNs don't require to have a degree, they can do just as well by completing an ROP course. Having a degree just gets you more credentials and pay, which is the obvious route tbh. :lol:

Btw, I come from a family of Filipino Nurses. :lol:

gallery_349297_8234_6637.jpg

Designed By Lilchiji

Spoiler

Spoiler

#3755 wiggyx

wiggyx

Dorkity-dork-dork

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 January 2013 - 12:57 AM

Sorry for the huge meaning altering typo. If you CAN do the work. I.e. If you can handle the workload and gutty-wuts.

Why is there a demand for anything by that measure? Why was there a demand for the PS3 at and shortly after launch? Why is there a demand for Quarter Pounders with cheese at about 12:00pm every day?

Because there was a shortage for such a long time, and in many instances, nurses have been afforded a lot more responsibility (like a Dr.). Of course hospitals would WAY rather pay a nurse'd salary than a Dr's, so they do.

As an FYI, NO nurse acts just as a secretary. All nurses need some level of degree at this point. There is no such thing as a candy striper or anything like that anymore and many states are moving to a 4 year degree requirement, no more associate's nurses in the future.

Great salary for the level of education required, TONS of flexibility, and getting a job is a snap.

#3756 Olengie

Olengie

Rise is Best Girl.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 January 2013 - 12:59 AM

Why is there a demand for anything by that measure? Why was there a demand for the PS3 at and shortly after launch? Why is there a demand for Quarter Pounders with cheese at about 12:00pm every day?

Because there was a shortage for such a long time, and in many instances, nurses have been afforded a lot more responsibility (like a Dr.). Of course hospitals would WAY rather pay a nurse'd salary than a Dr's, so they do.

As an FYI, NO nurse acts just as a secretary. All nurses need some level of degree at this point. There is no such thing as a candy striper or anything like that anymore and many states are moving to a 4 year degree requirement, no more associate's nurses in the future.

Great salary for the level of education required, TONS of flexibility, and getting a job is a snap.

Oh Wiggy. :applause: So right.

gallery_349297_8234_6637.jpg

Designed By Lilchiji

Spoiler

Spoiler

#3757 KtMack23

KtMack23

Retired from CAGing

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 January 2013 - 01:23 AM

So... Video games?

#3758 slowdive21

slowdive21

CAG Hoarder

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 January 2013 - 02:14 AM

Filipino Nurses. :lol:

That is the title of my favorite DVD.

#3759 kayne2000

kayne2000

All Glory to Tachikoma Paradise

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 January 2013 - 02:21 AM

from what i've heard from other nurses they seem to tell me getting into that field is a pain despite the demand. you need lots of school, you need good grades, and then you need good old fashioned luck. it is not as easy as signing up for X number of years of school. granted it is reliable work once you get into it but you have to actually break in first.

#3760 Monoxide1986

Monoxide1986

Recovering Flipper

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 January 2013 - 02:25 AM

I feel like I made a huge mistake busting my ass in school for a worthless computer degree that hasn't helped me one iota in getting a job.

I have a computer degree as well (Bachelor Degree), and I've worked at the same place since graduating in 2008. Not a week goes by where I wish I could find something better (over-worked, under-staffed). Only saving grace is that it kind-of pays decent (a stretch at times compared to what other companies in the area are paying). I've tried getting a job elsewhere, but it seems like since the economic collapse in 2008 (shortly after I got hired) companies got tight on the resources they put into IT. Combine that with all the IT grads coming out after being assured that computers/IT was the way to go and there is a bottle neck on grads getting real jobs.

Though, I love all the commercials on the radio advertising to get a job in IT because it's soooo in demand...

Hope you find something eventually though.

#3761 slowdive21

slowdive21

CAG Hoarder

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 January 2013 - 02:28 AM

1) Get an entry level job at a big corporation.
2) Have them pay for business school.
3) Try to get into the field you would like to be in (either within the same company or another one).
4) Thank slowdive21 for saving you money.

#3762 Vinny

Vinny

Bang, bang... pew...

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 January 2013 - 02:36 AM

So... Video games?

Yeah... seriously... I just made a statement, clearly indicating that I was sure what I was talking about and I get a fucking lecture.:roll:

Squarehard, are you still alive or have you been buried under you games and anime?

Currently playing: 

fyreboltx.png

#3763 kayne2000

kayne2000

All Glory to Tachikoma Paradise

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 January 2013 - 02:39 AM

Yeah... seriously... I just made a statement, clearly indicating that I was sure what I was talking about and I get a fucking lecture.:roll:

Squarehard, are you still alive or have you been buried under you games and anime?

1. this is the internet. all threads will be derailed given the smallest chance
2. post pictures or let us keep derailing the thread
3. i am convinced squarehard and wiggy are already buried and only impersoninators exist using their accounts

#3764 Squarehard

Squarehard

Posted 23 January 2013 - 03:14 AM

I am indeed still alive, no news of crushed by anime headlines yet, and in the process of putting together another shelf for more space to store stuff, at which time I shall update. Until then, I will be in the shadows...

mew.gif?t=1406933044mew2.gif?t=1406933043

#3765 slowdive21

slowdive21

CAG Hoarder

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 January 2013 - 03:18 AM

Subscribe to this thread and maybe it will curb peoples appetites. http://www.cheapassg...ad.php?t=335841

#3766 skiizim

skiizim

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 January 2013 - 03:18 AM

Originally Posted by Olengie Posted Image

Filipino Nurses. :lol:

That is the title of my favorite DVD.

lol!!! I thought I saw a secret stash when I saw your collection posted, don't forget those in the move!

I am indeed still alive, no news of crushed by anime headlines yet, and in the process of putting together another shelf for more space to store stuff, at which time I shall update. Until then, I will be in the shadows...

I know your planning on looting the city when the 49ers win, I have my eye on you!

#3767 Vinny

Vinny

Bang, bang... pew...

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 January 2013 - 03:31 AM

I've been in the process of re-arranging my stuff too and I'm struggling to make things fit. I might have to settle for storing my stuff in boxes for a while.

Subscribe to this thread and maybe it will curb peoples appetites. http://www.cheapassg...ad.php?t=335841

Maybe I'm the only one, but do those threads always make me shake my head as to how others can find good deals while all I can find is "original Xbox with 10 sports games for $300". I stopped by numerous pawn shops, yard sales, check Craigslists and what have you over years and never found anything good. And I don't just mean that I never see any good deals, but I never see any good games... just junk or common fodder (overpriced, of course).

Currently playing: 

fyreboltx.png

#3768 Drclaw411

Drclaw411

I miss Cartoon Orbit

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 January 2013 - 03:35 AM

Maybe I'm the only one, but do those threads always make me shake my head as to how others can find good deals while all I can find is "original Xbox with 10 sports games for $300". I stopped by numerous pawn shops, yard sales, check Craigslists and what have you over years and never found anything good. And I don't just mean that I never see any good deals, but I never see any good games... just junk or common fodder (overpriced, of course).

This!!!
WTB: Outback Joey ($900 bounty for cart only!)

#3769 KtMack23

KtMack23

Retired from CAGing

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 January 2013 - 04:07 AM

The only good thing I ever found at any of those places was a like new inbox fire emblem sacred stones GBA game. That's after years of frequently checking I found that at good will for a few bucks. It doesn't seem to be worth the time though really

#3770 wiggyx

wiggyx

Dorkity-dork-dork

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 January 2013 - 04:29 AM

I've been in the process of re-arranging my stuff too and I'm struggling to make things fit. I might have to settle for storing my stuff in boxes for a while.

Despite having just built those shelves, I find myself doing the same already. Luckily I have a plan...

#3771 Vinny

Vinny

Bang, bang... pew...

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 January 2013 - 04:59 AM

The only good thing I ever found at any of those places was a like new inbox fire emblem sacred stones GBA game. That's after years of frequently checking I found that at good will for a few bucks. It doesn't seem to be worth the time though really

Exactly. People used to tell me to keep at it and you'll find something but I never have. I've had much better luck on eBay and Gamestop.

Despite having just built those shelves, I find myself doing the same already. Luckily I have a plan...

Ceiling shelves? I have idea how that would work... but, I'm sure you'll figure it out. Get to it!:-P

Currently playing: 

fyreboltx.png

#3772 blindinglights

blindinglights

Posted 23 January 2013 - 05:23 AM

It's because nobody likes to talk about the amount of empty handed trips it takes to find something good.

For example, I go to Good Will five days a week in the morning and in the afternoon (it's 2 blocks down from where I work) and I probably find 1-2 things a week. When I say 1-2 things, I mean in general not video games even though that is what I primarily look for along with other various electronics. Of course I could just become more familiar with other valuable items and resell stuff to make it more worth it, but I pretty much just do it to find things for myself.

It's a game of patience, but every now and then a $2 pristine copy of Einhänder tucked between Britney Spears' debut album and a long forgotten Gin Blossoms CD makes it worth it. :D
2011 Completed Games
2012 Completed Games

Use Swag Bucks as your search engine, earn $10 to $15 in free Amazon credit per month. Find out how.

#3773 wiggyx

wiggyx

Dorkity-dork-dork

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 January 2013 - 05:42 AM

Exactly. People used to tell me to keep at it and you'll find something but I never have. I've had much better luck on eBay and Gamestop.

Ceiling shelves? I have idea how that would work... but, I'm sure you'll figure it out. Get to it!:-P

Haha! They pull down like that fruit/veggie thing in Back II the Future 2 :P

No, but for reals, here's the floor plan and the new shelve spot. I'm gonna seriously knock em out tomorrow. I don't need to build any of the built in BS that I just did. There's a perfect nook and I'll just build them right in. Gonna put movies and my music there. My poor CDs have been stashed away upstairs for years. I'll finally be able to display them again.

Posted Image

#3774 aptanor

aptanor

Posted 23 January 2013 - 03:06 PM

It's because nobody likes to talk about the amount of empty handed trips it takes to find something good.

For example, I go to Good Will five days a week in the morning and in the afternoon (it's 2 blocks down from where I work) and I probably find 1-2 things a week. When I say 1-2 things, I mean in general not video games even though that is what I primarily look for along with other various electronics. Of course I could just become more familiar with other valuable items and resell stuff to make it more worth it, but I pretty much just do it to find things for myself.

It's a game of patience, but every now and then a $2 pristine copy of Einhänder tucked between Britney Spears' debut album and a long forgotten Gin Blossoms CD makes it worth it. :D

I think it's more about your location. I go thifting maybe 2-3 times a week, and to the flea market once every week or every other week and I nearly never walk away empty handed. But my goodwill picks up stuff from a really rich area north of town, so we get all their old stuff that they don't care to check the value of.

Posted Image

#3775 wiggyx

wiggyx

Dorkity-dork-dork

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 January 2013 - 04:21 PM

^^^ it's totally about location. I hate when people insist that someone just "isn't looking hard enough". There isn't always the option of looking hard enough.

We used to have an awesome weekly bizarre here, but it shut down a couple I years ago and there really aren't any other flea markets around (this one was so big, that I don't think there was any competition, and nothing has sprung up in its place).

Also, our Goodwill and Salvation Army stores have dick.

And, Cleveland is a big video game town. Considering we have 6 months of winter, playing games is something a lot of folks do. As a result, it's hard to find someoe selling a box of CIB SNES games that their kid left behind 10 years ago. These people just tend to know what they've got and what it's worth. Deals are to be had, but they are few and far between.

The saving grace is a shit ton of retro game stores that have fair market value prices. So even though finding earthbound for 10 bucks ain't gonna happen, I can quite often just walk into a shop and buy it off a shelf.

#3776 Gregtastic

Gregtastic

Posted 23 January 2013 - 04:46 PM

There is a Goodwill that is about 20 minutes from my house where they never have anything good.....never.

They JUST opened up a Salvation Army store in my town, so I went to check it out...

Go to the electronics.....holy crap...an NES....$50...damn.....PSX....$80....damn....Genessis with some sports games and an extra controller....$100!!!!

WTF, I hope no one buys that crap because then those will be acceptable prices.

Follow @num1greg
TrueAchievements
XBL: Gregtastic

#3777 animemaniac14

animemaniac14

Do the Monkey w/Me!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 January 2013 - 12:38 PM

I think it's more about your location. I go thifting maybe 2-3 times a week, and to the flea market once every week or every other week and I nearly never walk away empty handed. But my goodwill picks up stuff from a really rich area north of town, so we get all their old stuff that they don't care to check the value of.

hopefully you grabbed the Gin blossoms cd as well as my favorite side-scrolling shooter of all time (ie: einhander) :-D

[DVDs=727] [VGs=434

Free Gift Cards > Sex with a Blueshirt

#3778 Rexall

Rexall

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 January 2013 - 04:55 PM

I have a computer degree as well (Bachelor Degree), and I've worked at the same place since graduating in 2008. Not a week goes by where I wish I could find something better (over-worked, under-staffed). Only saving grace is that it kind-of pays decent (a stretch at times compared to what other companies in the area are paying). I've tried getting a job elsewhere, but it seems like since the economic collapse in 2008 (shortly after I got hired) companies got tight on the resources they put into IT. Combine that with all the IT grads coming out after being assured that computers/IT was the way to go and there is a bottle neck on grads getting real jobs.

Though, I love all the commercials on the radio advertising to get a job in IT because it's soooo in demand...

Hope you find something eventually though.

Are you serious? I got a computer degree and don't even use it. I'm a Business Analyst and work mostly with the financial markets in the NYC area. Granted I'm a consultant and get laid off every 2 years on average, but I always manage to find a job and still make the same hourly pay or more. In fact I'm getting laid off here end of the month, but I've got 2 job interviews lined up next week.

Most of my colleagues here have it degrees.

anyways I digress.

We need more photos so I can get more motivation to build some type of mega huge cabinet for my gaming addiction.

#3779 Gregtastic

Gregtastic

Posted 24 January 2013 - 04:59 PM

Just because I'm partially responsible for derailing the thread (mentioning I had to pay for education instead of games) I will post my limited collection at 2 when I get home just to get some pics in the thread.

Follow @num1greg
TrueAchievements
XBL: Gregtastic

#3780 Squarehard

Squarehard

Posted 24 January 2013 - 05:17 PM

Hurrah for pics! :3

mew.gif?t=1406933044mew2.gif?t=1406933043