Photo
* * * * * 8 votes

Your collection - post a photo - show us what'cha got!

• Please log in to reply
5898 replies to this topic

#3841 Gregtastic

Gregtastic

Posted 28 January 2013 - 05:21 PM

In that case, my preference is to order by series.

Standard practice is to alphabetize without the "The," such as
Darkness, The
Fallout 3
Last of Us, The
Lost
Saboteur, The
etc.

With Oblivion/Skyrim, the question is do you alphabetize by "Elder Scrolls" or the common name?

The beauty is that it's all your choice. It's your collection so you can do whatever works for you.

I never though of alphabetizing TES starting with E for Elder Scrolls :wall:

Follow @num1greg
TrueAchievements
XBL: Gregtastic

#3842 gi60

gi60

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 January 2013 - 06:36 PM

Cool Story Bros:
My college actually had 2 bookstores: One that was owned by the university and one that was independent. As you know (just like game trade ins) the price drops as they acquire more copies and eventually the bookstores stop taking them. People used to leave their 'worthless' books in crates to be recycled (as they were in a hurry to get out of town and back home). I would raid the crates, walk to the other independent bookstore (about 1/4 mile) and see if they were still taking the books. I only did it once (my final semester), but I made $180 on junk books and I even kept a couple of the marketing books for myself. 8-)

Hey, I did the same thing..... I also had 2 bookstores and on my last year, we had 3 bookstores (2 independents) to trade.

#3843 jonnysniper

jonnysniper

Pokemaster Jonny

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 January 2013 - 01:40 AM

Here's the start of my collection sorry for bad quality
Tried to resize the picture so it wouldn't be so big

Spoiler

#3844 Vinny

Vinny

Bang, bang... pew...

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 January 2013 - 02:08 AM

Is it me, or does Drake look like he's about to fall off?:lol:

Nice collection, I like how all of your PS3 games are organized by the spine logo design.

Currently playing: 

:wiiu: Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD - :D 

:vita: Uncharted: Golden Abyss - :) 

:ps3: Zone of the Enders HD - :)

fyreboltx.png
║My Tradelists: Games, Guides & Game Related GoodiesWantlist

#3845 wiggyx

wiggyx

Dorkity-dork-dork

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 January 2013 - 02:13 AM

Game that start with "The" should totally NOT be under "T". That's just silly.

So, where do you guys put games/movies that start a number? Like, if its 6 do you put it under "S" or at the beginning after 5 and before 7?

#3846 KtMack23

KtMack23

Retired from CAGing

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 January 2013 - 02:14 AM

Numbers go before A in order 0-9.

#3847 KtMack23

KtMack23

Retired from CAGing

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 January 2013 - 02:24 AM

here is a question, do you guys seperate Mario and super Mario games? I file them all under M :P

#3848 Olengie

Olengie

Rise is Best Girl.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 January 2013 - 02:26 AM

So, where do you guys put games/movies that start a number? Like, if its 6 do you put it under "S" or at the beginning after 5 and before 7?

I just put the numbers in the front. As for the Games that start with "The", I just ignore "The" altogether. Checking it now, I have The Sly Cooper Collection under S. Haha.

gallery_349297_8234_6637.jpg

Designed By Lilchiji

Spoiler

Spoiler

#3849 Vinny

Vinny

Bang, bang... pew...

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 January 2013 - 02:41 AM

If I organized things without ignoring the "The", then I'd probably need an entire shelf for all my games that start with "The".

here is a question, do you guys seperate Mario and super Mario games? I file them all under M :P

If you're doing it alphabetically, it doesn't make sense to keep all the Marios together unless you have... a Mario shelf or something.

Currently playing: 

fyreboltx.png

#3850 kayne2000

kayne2000

All Glory to Tachikoma Paradise

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 January 2013 - 02:42 AM

I just put the numbers in the front. As for the Games that start with "The", I just ignore "The" altogether. Checking it now, I have The Sly Cooper Collection under S. Haha.

yep thats what i do. and things like mario all marios are lumped under M regardless to keep them together.

i should note the "The" thing depends. i'd ignore it for The Orange Box but probably not for The Last Story. when The is just a descriptive term to tell you hey look at that as opposed to in last story its more part of the title than saying this is the last story. whether this makes sense to anyone but me eh whatever.

#3851 jonnysniper

jonnysniper

Pokemaster Jonny

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 January 2013 - 02:48 AM

Is it me, or does Drake look like he's about to fall off?:lol:

Nice collection, I like how all of your PS3 games are organized by the spine logo design.

Yeah Drake always looks like he's going to fall but never once has he fallen.
Thanks the Spine logo is my preference just looks better IMO

#3852 KtMack23

KtMack23

Retired from CAGing

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 January 2013 - 02:53 AM

If you're doing it alphabetically, it doesn't make sense to keep all the Marios together unless you have... a Mario shelf or something.

Not really, I mean, where do you put Halo Reach? Between ODST and 4 or after 4? Because if we're strictly speaking alphabetically, wouldn't you have it after 4? Idk if that is really super applicable, but to me it just makes sense to drop the super and keep all the Mario games under M.

#3853 kayne2000

kayne2000

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 January 2013 - 03:12 AM

Not really, I mean, where do you put Halo Reach? Between ODST and 4 or after 4? Because if we're strictly speaking alphabetically, wouldn't you have it after 4? Idk if that is really super applicable, but to me it just makes sense to drop the super and keep all the Mario games under M.

in those such cases i do them in order of release usually although in the case of Halo i would stick reach at the end that way Halo 1,2,3,4 all line up nice and neat

#3854 elessar123

elessar123

96.5% more WUB WUB

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 January 2013 - 03:21 AM

Do you guys sort numbers by value, or by character?

Basically, does 300 come before or after 10,000 BC?

#3855 Metal Militia

Metal Militia

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 January 2013 - 03:28 AM

This was my current generation gaming shelf before Cheap Ass Gamer

Spoiler

Now this is my current generation gaming shelf after Cheap Ass Gamer #-o

Spoiler

Posted Image

#3856 Vinny

Vinny

Bang, bang... pew...

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 January 2013 - 03:59 AM

^^ Ah... bent shelves, the sign of a CAG.

Maybe I didn't understand what you meant by "file all of them under M", but would you GC collection look something like this?
Lost Kingdom
Mario Power Tennis
Mario Strikers
Super Mario Sunshine
Pikmin

Right? You'd have Pikmin after Super Mario Sunshine (since you file all of your Mario games under M)? So you'd be going from M to S to P, and I was saying that if you kept an alphabetical order of games, it wouldn't work to put all the Mario's together.

The Halo example isn't the same since all of them start with Halo, nor do I understand why you're asking if I'd put Reach between 4 & ODST or after 4 (because it's neither-- it would be 4, ODST, then Reach).

Numbers are always by value, unless they're spelled out (in which case, they're treated like any other word) so 300 would come before 10,000.

Currently playing: 

fyreboltx.png

#3857 KtMack23

KtMack23

Retired from CAGing

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 January 2013 - 04:43 AM

But specifcaly the Mario naming confection is ridiculous. The Mario soccer game is "Super Mario Strikers" but the Mario baseball game is just "Mario Baseball". For some reason they decided soccer was super but baseball wasn't. It annoys me to no end to have those games separated by multiple letters when they are so close. So basically, Fuck you Nintendo, none of your games are super, and I'm going to organize my collection the way I want because 'Merica

#3858 Olengie

Olengie

Rise is Best Girl.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 January 2013 - 05:33 AM

^^ Ah... bent shelves, the sign of a CAG.

Maybe I didn't understand what you meant by "file all of them under M", but would you GC collection look something like this?
Lost Kingdom
Mario Power Tennis
Mario Strikers
Super Mario Sunshine
Pikmin

Right? You'd have Pikmin after Super Mario Sunshine (since you file all of your Mario games under M)? So you'd be going from M to S to P, and I was saying that if you kept an alphabetical order of games, it wouldn't work to put all the Mario's together.

The Halo example isn't the same since all of them start with Halo, nor do I understand why you're asking if I'd put Reach between 4 & ODST or after 4 (because it's neither-- it would be 4, ODST, then Reach).

Numbers are always by value, unless they're spelled out (in which case, they're treated like any other word) so 300 would come before 10,000.

Strictly speaking for Halo, I would place probably place them in order of release or in chronological order. As for Mario, I would probably put the bare Mario titles under "M" and the ones with Super under "S". Seeing the S bundled with the M would just bother me too much :lol:

As for Halo, I would personally go Halo CE Anniversary, Halo 3-4, then ODST and Reach (these two are interchangeable imo)

Designed By Lilchiji

Spoiler

Spoiler

#3859 Gregtastic

Gregtastic

Posted 30 January 2013 - 02:26 PM

Don't want to get yelled at for changing the topic from alphabetizing collection to text books, but I went to school today and got my student id. They give you "College Bucks" that you can spend at the bookstore for taking Saturday classes, and when I asked how many were on there the lady said $300! So I got my text book.

Just wish this school was like GWU. I went there for a year out of high school and they always had the newest 360/PS3 games in the bookstore. :-(. I think we even bought our roommate the Rock Band set there when it came out for his birthday.

Follow @num1greg
TrueAchievements
XBL: Gregtastic

#3860 kayne2000

kayne2000

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 January 2013 - 04:32 PM

Don't want to get yelled at for changing the topic from alphabetizing collection to text books, but I went to school today and got my student id. They give you "College Bucks" that you can spend at the bookstore for taking Saturday classes, and when I asked how many were on there the lady said $300! So I got my text book.

Just wish this school was like GWU. I went there for a year out of high school and they always had the newest 360/PS3 games in the bookstore. :-(. I think we even bought our roommate the Rock Band set there when it came out for his birthday.

well you could always show us your alphabetized college textbook collection

#3861 wiggyx

wiggyx

Dorkity-dork-dork

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 January 2013 - 06:19 PM

Wow, I thought I may have been the only one that gave TOO much thought to alphabetizing. I should have known better...

Square prolly puts his games in anime order :P

#3862 Olengie

Olengie

Rise is Best Girl.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 January 2013 - 06:21 PM

That's what I do Wiggy! xD

Designed By Lilchiji

Spoiler

Spoiler

#3863 Squarehard

Squarehard

Posted 30 January 2013 - 06:37 PM

Wow, I thought I may have been the only one that gave TOO much thought to alphabetizing. I should have known better...

Square prolly puts his games in anime order :P

Publisher order is usually how I tend to organize some of the collection, but with how much of a variation there are in box size and style I basically just organize is at whatever looks good. :3

mew.gif?t=1406933044mew2.gif?t=1406933043

#3864 Kazaganthi

Kazaganthi

Blue Rogue

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 January 2013 - 10:04 PM

Serious question, since I saw someone post their collection with Red/Black PS3 spine label separate. It looks really good and I've been wanting to do that, but then you have 2 separate locations for alphabetize. That's a minor problem compared to my OCD of Uncharted 1 or TES:Oblivion being under old red label while Uncharted 2/3 and TES:Skyrim being under newer black design. And Metal Gear 4 is old red design so that issue will pop up again.

So do you split up game series to make it visually appealing or what? Right now I have it mix/match, and it looks bad or "unorganized". As if red cases weren't bad enough, hate that Sony did this.

#3865 ZombieToast

ZombieToast

He wears a disguise to look like human guys.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 31 January 2013 - 02:54 AM

I'll never understand the hatred for red cases. I think they look so much nicer than the clear ones and they keep my PS3 collection from looking boring. I can't stand the thought of everything looking the same. That's why I also really like the purple and gray Xbox cases and the red and black Wii cases. Variety is the spice of life, people!

Numbers go at the beginning for me. A lot of my alphabetizing is done like it would be on a computer.

I go by character, so 300 would come after 10,000. The only exception might be if they are part of a series. The Up Series, for example, goes by value in order to avoid confusion.

I separate them. If I were to do otherwise, chaos would ensue.

#3866 jonnysniper

jonnysniper

Pokemaster Jonny

• CAGiversary!

Posted 31 January 2013 - 03:41 AM

So do you split up game series to make it visually appealing or what? Right now I have it mix/match, and it looks bad or "unorganized". As if red cases weren't bad enough, hate that Sony did this.

Yeah I split the series to make it look organized by spine. First I put them into groups such as old ps logo, new ps logo, greatest hits, slip cover box...etc. Then I put them alphabetical, though, right now, they are unalphabetized because some of the shelves fell down :cry:

#3867 Kazaganthi

Kazaganthi

Blue Rogue

• CAGiversary!

Posted 31 January 2013 - 04:01 AM

I'll never understand the hatred for red cases. I think they look so much nicer than the clear ones and they keep my PS3 collection from looking boring. I can't stand the thought of everything looking the same. That's why I also really like the purple and gray Xbox cases and the red and black Wii cases. Variety is the spice of life, people!

Unity, is my issue. If every game came in a red case, it'd be ok by me. A clearly labeled spine title is just fine to differentiate the games to me. What if your blu-rays came in all sorts of colors besides blue, that'd be rainbow vomit on the shelf.

It's a little picky I admit, but it makes the collection look much neater as a whole, instead of being drawn to the 1-5 odd ball games that stick out because they are different color.

Would you stick Metal Gear Solid 2+3 PS2 next to Metal Gear Solid 4 on your PS3 shelf?

#3868 jonnysniper

jonnysniper

Pokemaster Jonny

• CAGiversary!

Posted 31 January 2013 - 04:09 AM

Would you stick Metal Gear Solid 2+3 PS2 next to Metal Gear Solid 4 on your PS3 shelf?

I actually section them off
360->xbox
Wii u->Wii
PS3->PS2->PS1
I like to go down in generation

#3869 Olengie

Olengie

Rise is Best Girl.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 31 January 2013 - 04:52 AM

I actually section them off
360->xbox
Wii u->Wii
PS3->PS2->PS1
I like to go down in generation

This

Designed By Lilchiji

Spoiler

Spoiler

#3870 Vinny

Vinny

Bang, bang... pew...

• CAGiversary!

Posted 31 January 2013 - 05:49 AM

LOL I remember when I was super organized with my collection. Now, I just put my games wherever I can find room.

Currently playing: 

fyreboltx.png