Photo
* * * * * 8 votes

Your collection - post a photo - show us what'cha got!

• Please log in to reply
5863 replies to this topic

#4861 kayne2000

kayne2000

All Glory to Tachikoma Paradise

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 May 2013 - 07:26 AM

All pics are mine except that link to Asuka on bike. If you are talking about the last pic, that 's Dollfie Dreams Asuka. I took the pic when I went to the Volks store and decided to take some pic around the office complex.

Pics of my DollfieDreams Asuka, do not click if you get freaked out about dolls :)

http://site.volksusa...ry-m-p-s-asuka/

thanks for that link

also why would anyone be freaked out by dolls lol

#4862 MrNinjaSquirrel

MrNinjaSquirrel

Emo Blogger

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 May 2013 - 07:29 AM

My word, 2K on a figure. I think I'll stick to games haha but nice collection, as it is of course:)
Let me tell you two useful pieces of information...

#4863 Vinny

Vinny

Bang, bang... pew...

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 May 2013 - 02:50 PM

All pics are mine except that link to Asuka on bike. If you are talking about the last pic, that 's Dollfie Dreams Asuka. I took the pic when I went to the Volks store and decided to take some pic around the office complex.

Pics of my DollfieDreams Asuka, do not click if you get freaked out about dolls :)

http://site.volksusa...ry-m-p-s-asuka/

What's the market for Japanese figures and collectables like? Do they kinda float around in value or do they appreciate? I started buying a few (well, 3) thanks to lilman's thread but I'm shocked at how expensive they are.

Currently playing:

:3ds: Legend of Zelda A Link Between Worlds - :) 
:ps3: Zone of the Enders HD - :)

fyreboltx.png
║My Tradelists: Games, Guides & Game Related GoodiesWantlist

#4864 Squarehard

Squarehard

Posted 06 May 2013 - 03:23 PM

What's the market for Japanese figures and collectables like? Do they kinda float around in value or do they appreciate? I started buying a few (well, 3) thanks to lilman's thread but I'm shocked at how expensive they are.

It's hit or miss depending on the types of figures you have purchased, and it is also dependent on what type of characters or series you are purchasing from. It just kind of depends on a lot of factors, so it's not really a yes or no kind of answer.
Posted Image

#4865 wiggyx

wiggyx

Dorkity-dork-dork

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 May 2013 - 03:31 PM

wow, don't know how you guys do it, this taking pic of collection thing is certainly taxing... almost done. should be ready tonight/tomorrow morning...

Sucks, right? Looks like you did a rally nice job though :applause:

I actually tried taking a bunch the other day for both insurance purposes and to post. I've never taken good enough shots so that anyone can actually see what games I have, just those panoramic and entire shelf-at-once shots. My basement is so damned dark and I don't have a tripod, so I was using a chunk of 2x4 as a monopod and holding a shop light to try and get enough light.

I ended up with about 50% usable shots, and 50% blurry mess. Gotta give it another go. Maybe I'll bring my halogen garage works lights in. They're like as bright as the sun. That should at least solve the lighthing issue :P

Took me a while and I keep forgetting to include stuff as I have them all over the place. Some stuff I just don't know where it is and I will note what I have.

My TV and Desk

Spoiler

Final Fantasy XIII/XIII-2 stuff (from before,)

Spoiler

Controller

Spoiler

Portables

Spoiler

Games 1 (mostly PS3)

Spoiler

Games 2 (PS2)

Spoiler

Games 3 ( Misc)

Spoiler

Games 4 (Wii + Xbox)

Spoiler

Games Portable 1

Spoiler

Games Portable 2

Spoiler

Games Portable 3

Spoiler

Blizzard CE

Spoiler

Guides and artbook etc

Spoiler

Anime, Blu and Misc.

Spoiler

Figures

Ok, we are starting to get to the meat of my "collection". I care about these way more than anything above :)

This is just what I have in my place right now. I have a lot more in storage which I may get to taking pics of someday... Also have about 20-30 various figures just about, didn't bother taking pics of them like Momohime.

Spoiler

Scaled figure 1

Spoiler

Scaled figure 2

Spoiler

Figma / nendo etc

Spoiler

Gundam (various)

Didn't bother to take pics of my Gunpla. I have lots of PG/MG/HB and my favorite, RG.

Here are some Metal Build/Metal Composite.
Spoiler

Gathering figures...

Ok, gathering are recast of garage kit you can buy in Japan which is very hard to get for us not living there since you have to know someone going to one of the fest. Oh well... I wish I can get my hands on the original, but they are so limited that I won't be able to give my money to the rightful people anyway. Anyway, I actually like them quite a bit. Very detail, much better in many cases than the machine paint of PVC figures.

Spoiler

Misc. mostly cuz I forgot...

Spoiler

My storage

I have a little space in a climate controlled public storage location to store my stuff so the figure's face won't melt.

Spoiler

This sort of leads me to the real meat of my collection since you see their boxes in the above pic....

Dollfie Dreams/pure neemo / etc

No, I do not give them personality and arrange marraige etc like Chu. They are just like supersized figma :)

Pic I took of Asuka from Evagelion. This will be the only pic you actually see it. It's safe but I understand some people are freaked out by them.
Spoiler

Your stuff is WAY too pretty to be stored like that!

I will be over shortly after completing the munnel in order to rectify this very serious video game collection display faux pas. I'm envisioning very simple cherry and birch frame with lots of glass and a handful of one-off door pull knobs in a variety of designs appropriate to your collection. LOTS. That stuff needs to shine!

Shit, if I ever get sick of making gameboys and such, I'm gonna start building seriously custom display cases for collectors. I could do that all day long!

I mean, that's a superb collection (more insane than Square's) but am I the only one who really, really hates wire racks? They make everything look so tacky...

Hate can't begin to describe my feelings for them :(

I use them to house my shipping supplies and even that irks me, though it's about the most appropriate use I can find for them since all the scraps and little bits of cutoff mess that I make fall through to the floor for easy cleanup.

Maybe I'll go snap those pics...

#4866 DNukem170

DNukem170

Dance like you want to win, Gundam!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 May 2013 - 03:42 PM

You've both obviously only watched the dubbed version of the show. And I'm pretty sure you've never read the manga, as that would require more effort into something you didn't like...

Oh well. I generally dislike any Funimation dubs. Naruto has an intolerable English dub, and the fillers are absolutely shit and ruin anything good about the show, so to each his own.

I actually enjoy both Naruto and One Piece's current dubs.

I enjoy One Piece well enough, but not enough to actually spend money on it. Oda tends to pack in too much wackiness for my tastes. Impel Down and the Rescue Ace arcs were just a mess to get through in the manga. That, and Luffy just plain gets on my nerves at times.

#4867 Vinny

Vinny

Bang, bang... pew...

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 May 2013 - 05:10 PM

It's hit or miss depending on the types of figures you have purchased, and it is also dependent on what type of characters or series you are purchasing from. It just kind of depends on a lot of factors, so it's not really a yes or no kind of answer.

So, basically like games then, huh?

Currently playing:

fyreboltx.png

#4868 Squarehard

Squarehard

Posted 06 May 2013 - 05:18 PM

So, basically like games then, huh?

Sorta, but on a much wider scale of which details will affect value.
Posted Image

#4869 Neuropod

Neuropod

Fine work, skeleton!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 May 2013 - 05:31 PM

All collecting is like that to varying degrees. Some things become rare and valuable, others stay the same price forever or depreciate immensely. There are factors you can use to try and predict what will happen (for example the Samus and Link Figma reissues were fairly obvious) but overall it can be a crapshoot. I am not a huge collector, most of the stuff I buy is under $30, but I follow the figure "scene" decently closely and I've seen it all.

Just one example, last year I bought a MGS Solid Snake Play Arts Kai for 4000 yen and passed on a Gray Fox for the same price. Now they're each worth well over 20,000 yen and I will probably never get my hands on that cyborg ninja. But as we've seen with Figma Samus it can go both ways.
76561197996844513.png

#4870 wasabi5858

wasabi5858

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 May 2013 - 05:39 PM

They are also starting to rerelease figures now (tho just the super popular ones like Saber and a few others like Momohime from Muramasa).

Generally I think they hold their value better.

DD prices also became more stabilized recently... They easily hold their value +, but there were time that things were going crazy, 4k+ for what was originallly a $800 release.

Just checked prices on the Metal Build gundam seven swords... originaly $200ish shipped

http://www.amazon.co.../dp/B004A15JG0/

ebay listed prices is even higher.

This is their "special". was LE. I got it for $400 locally, listed for crazy amount.

http://www.amazon.co.../dp/B006DRPCJI/

There are just too many products out, weird little thing can become valuable. a DD (Yuki) was actually not very popular before, people thought her face look too generic. A post by Danny Choo pretty much sent her prices skyward, 3-4 X easy. She is actually one of my wants... just can't bring myself to it.

her original listing
http://www.volksusa.com/ddim019.html

ebay listing: selling price obvious different, but that varies a lot based on too many condition.

http://www.ebay.com/...=item3a72ffe928

#4871 kermit036

kermit036

Posted 08 May 2013 - 12:01 AM

Hey wasabi can we get pictures of some of your figures without the foam wrappings? I mainly just want to see the Valkyria Chronicle figures. Thanks. Great collection.

#4872 wasabi5858

wasabi5858

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 May 2013 - 02:17 AM

They are these 2 figures from Volks.

http://volkshobby.bl...-entry-713.html

#4873 Drclaw411

Drclaw411

I miss Cartoon Orbit

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 May 2013 - 03:45 AM

I am horrendous at cutting an even line. How do you guys effectively cut even lines for cover-projecting? Even when I use the thing you put the paper on and slide the blade to cut, I have never ever gotten it even. It's always diagonal, cutting off some of the graphic and leaving some white. I'm even worse free-handing.
WTB: Outback Joey ($900 bounty for cart only!)

#4874 wiggyx

wiggyx

Dorkity-dork-dork

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 May 2013 - 04:36 AM

Have you tried a ruler and Xacto/box cutter?

#4875 dodgeme

dodgeme

Shadow the Hedgehog

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 May 2013 - 04:39 AM

I just have one of those cheap portable paper cutters. Works great just gotta do your best to line it up and eyeball it correctly.
Posted Image

#4876 Vinny

Vinny

Bang, bang... pew...

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 May 2013 - 04:40 AM

I don't understand how you can not cut something straight with those trimmers... unless you're using it wrong? And even then, I don't how you'd manage that.

Currently playing:

fyreboltx.png

#4877 skiizim

skiizim

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 May 2013 - 04:40 AM

I'm just waiting for chuplayer to come out with photos of his dolls.

#4878 Vinny

Vinny

Bang, bang... pew...

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 May 2013 - 05:01 AM

I'm just waiting for chuplayer to come out with photos of his dolls.

I'm completely cool with sexy anime figures (even the nude ones) but those dolls... man... they're just creepy. I'd feel dirty if I owned any of those.

Currently playing:

fyreboltx.png

#4879 kayne2000

kayne2000

All Glory to Tachikoma Paradise

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 May 2013 - 05:23 AM

I'm completely cool with sexy anime figures (even the nude ones) but those dolls... man... they're just creepy. I'd feel dirty if I owned any of those.

i know what your getting for xmas....

#4880 elessar123

elessar123

96.5% more WUB WUB

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 May 2013 - 07:46 AM

Same, though I don't even think I have a nude doll. I don't remember if I have one where you can remove the clothing on.

Edit: Actually, I don't like joints for the most part. I don't own a single Figma. I do have Nendoroids, but the joints on those aren't really the same.

#4881 Vandalia

Vandalia

CAG in Training

• CAG in Training

Posted 09 May 2013 - 01:33 PM

ff13 wasnt all that great

why did you buy so many guides?

#4882 Vinny

Vinny

Bang, bang... pew...

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 May 2013 - 03:41 PM

Same, though I don't even think I have a nude doll. I don't remember if I have one where you can remove the clothing on.

Edit: Actually, I don't like joints for the most part. I don't own a single Figma. I do have Nendoroids, but the joints on those aren't really the same.

I think it's because they sorta blur the line between reality and fantasy. They're fictional characters but the dolls themselves are like real child-sized versions.

But joints bother the hell out of me too, which is why I don't care much for pose-able figures, even stuff like Play-Arts or some of the Marvel/DC Direct figures. I love Figmas though... they do a great job of hiding joints and staying true to the character.

I understand it's a hobby though so if you enjoy, go for it. There are worse things you can do as a hobby... like the Left Hand Killer.

Currently playing:

fyreboltx.png

#4883 Billytwoshoes

Billytwoshoes

Perpetually behind the times

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 May 2013 - 05:33 PM

I am horrendous at cutting an even line. How do you guys effectively cut even lines for cover-projecting? Even when I use the thing you put the paper on and slide the blade to cut, I have never ever gotten it even. It's always diagonal, cutting off some of the graphic and leaving some white. I'm even worse free-handing.

My best recipe for cutting straight and clean covers is to use a box cutter (I prefer the larger handle than Xacto knifes), a transparent 12-inch ruler (transparent is important to help see if you are cutting straight or at a slight angle, and to make sure you don't under or over cut border wise), and a cutting mat (like this one on Amazon, or junk cardboard works fine).

The only reason I have one of those cutting mats is because my wife went through a craft / sewing stint, but those work great for cutting covers.

#4884 wasabi5858

wasabi5858

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 May 2013 - 07:45 AM

I think it's because they sorta blur the line between reality and fantasy. They're fictional characters but the dolls themselves are like real child-sized versions.

I certainly understand that. I feel the same way with some of the current 3D modeling in games... I will not get Beyond Two Souls no matter how good it is... it is just freaking me out :)

Even with the DD/BJD dolls, some just totally freaks me out too. For me, Dollfie Dream with characters based on anime etc is pretty much the most I will go for. Everyone draws that line differently and some owners I am certain that I do not want to meet in any way.

I certainly don't push this on people... There are places where it is more appropriate.

I also don't like suggestive poses/figures etc... those are just too much for me. For figures, cute outfit and preferably a weapon is my choice :)

One of the goal for me is to take good photos of my figures/statues and that sort of expanded into wanting to take pictures of DD. There are many good photographers using them as model of sorts and I want to share a few link, these are just pics taken by others that I browsed through just now and think is pretty good. Nothing unsafe etc and I do wish you and others to take a quick look just so you guys have a better reference than just the basement pics of Chu's dolls...

#4885 Ferrari Racer

Ferrari Racer

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 May 2013 - 11:27 PM

Random question about my set up. I have a LED strip behind my HDTV for some cool lighting, and I'm using Scotch tape to tape the strip against the back of the TV. Is Scotch tape a bad idea? I'm wondering if the lights will burn it...

#4886 MrNinjaSquirrel

MrNinjaSquirrel

Emo Blogger

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 May 2013 - 01:13 AM

Random question about my set up. I have a LED strip behind my HDTV for some cool lighting, and I'm using Scotch tape to tape the strip against the back of the TV. Is Scotch tape a bad idea? I'm wondering if the lights will burn it...

could just go ahead and use electrical tape to be safe, doesn't cost much more at all and is more durable (I've found at least).

#4887 wiggyx

wiggyx

Dorkity-dork-dork

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 May 2013 - 02:49 AM

Neither of those two tapes are ideal for the job at hand. This will hold it for as long as you'll need and is surprisingly easy to remove if you need to.

http://www.autogeek....-auto-tape.html

Edit: I should mention that you can get that stuff at any auto parts store or Home Depot/Lowes.

All done collecting N64 and all cased up! WOOT!

http://i86.photobuck...52.jpg~original

Edited by wiggyx, 12 May 2013 - 12:39 PM.

#4888 Vinny

Vinny

Bang, bang... pew...

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 May 2013 - 03:25 PM

All done collecting N64 and all cased up! WOOT!

http://i86.photobuck...52.jpg~original

Ah... gotta love uniformity!;) Makes me wish I had some N64 games but even they're starting going up like crazy.

Currently playing:

fyreboltx.png

#4889 wiggyx

wiggyx

Dorkity-dork-dork

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 May 2013 - 03:34 PM

That's why I figured Fuck it, and decided to grab all that I want now while they're still affordable. Thank gawd I've had titles like Conker since launch so I didn't have to pay insane amounts of money for em. I managed to grab the last 15 or so titles for under 20-a-pop.

Back to the increasingly unaffordable SNES collection...

#4890 MrNinjaSquirrel

MrNinjaSquirrel

Emo Blogger

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 May 2013 - 04:03 PM

Man wiggy, all your boxes look so freaking nice! I've really got to get some more shelves (and money:lol:), and box up the few I've got. N64 games have definitely gone up in price like crazy, so mad at myself for selling my copies of DK64, Mario Kart 64, and OoT. Side question: what boxes are you using for the big box games like Stadium and Mario Party?