Photo
* * * * - 26 votes

Japanese Niche Games Deals Thread: Atlus, NISA, Aksys, XSeed and More!

• Please log in to reply
13480 replies to this topic

#3001 slidecage

slidecage

Nothing to say

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 October 2012 - 01:27 PM

Not really a deal, but Atlus announced Etrian Odyssey IV is coming to North America early 2013.

they were fun games until you got to a floor boss where you were forced to grin up 15 levels just to beat it just to fall to the next floor boss 5 levels down and have to do it again

i think how it went from easy to hard was

2 was a nightmare for me ..while 1 was almost a cake walk
WOOOO I STINK

#3002 Teh Nitwit

Teh Nitwit

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 October 2012 - 03:41 PM

*sigh* wish i could get Mugen Souls, but i just refuse to get a censored game. Has some intersting bonus items with it

^_^x KD

Same here. Only reason I won't get Mugen Souls is because it's censored. I wish more people felt this way. When people pay for censored products they're only hurting themselves in the long run.

#3003 elessar123

elessar123

96.5% more WUB WUB

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 October 2012 - 03:50 PM

Etrian Odyssey is definitely hard, but in a good way. The main game divided into 50 floors and it really feels like an accomplishment just to be able to clear one of them.

Um, every EO has been 5+1 Sanctums, with 5 floors per Sanctum in I&II, and 4 floors in III. The last Sanctum is always after the main story, and is much harder.

That one changed the gameplay by changing character classes and adding a sailing mechanic.

None of the EOs have the same classes. Sailing in III was also optional, accessible outside the main dungeon. It's basically a larger 2 room dungeon limited by your movement distance instead of your health/tp.

they were fun games until you got to a floor boss where you were forced to grin up 15 levels just to beat it just to fall to the next floor boss 5 levels down and have to do it again

i think how it went from easy to hard was

2 was a nightmare for me ..while 1 was almost a cake walk

Eh, it's a dungeon crawler. If you don't want to level up for the next boss, you're playing the wrong genre. I didn't have to "grind", but I fought every random encounter.

EO1 was easy only if you knew what to do with your paladin, and had a medic. They were basically required in the party. If you didn't have a paladin or medic specced with defense abilities, you probably couldn't get anywhere, so people didn't like this.

In EO2, they changed it so you didn't have to have a paladin type, so you can run with just about any class. Of course, there were a few overpowered classes (Hexer, especially, who can KO bosses in 1-2 hits).

EO3 was more balanced, but it ended up being the easiest, IMO. It was also the shortest, since it had less levels. I spent about 110 hours on 1, 120 hours on 2, and maybe 90 on 3. This is with all main game maps 100%, and most of end game.

They're all worth playing. But if you skip one, I'd skip 1 just because of the paladin/medic requirement.

#3004 Dezner

Dezner

Kanetsugu! <3

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 October 2012 - 03:58 PM

Same here. Only reason I won't get Mugen Souls is because it's censored. I wish more people felt this way. When people pay for censored products they're only hurting themselves in the long run.

Normally I wouldn't if there was an alternative. I don't want to spend more money to import something I can't enjoy reading or listening to. I like the dubbed voices, no matter how bad they could be. I enjoy all the extra stuff thrown in the limited editions, no matter how silly. (Like the...sponge...thing?)

Besides, I whore myself out for almost anything NISA releases, and if something like a negligible mini-game is going to full-stop an entire release of a game I'm looking forward to from a publisher I enjoy supporting year after year, then I support their choice.

But you're right, though. I'm hurting myself by thinking "oh they won't edit anything ever again, unless it's something even worse" Next we know it, NISA decides to split Disgaea 5 in two separate releases with content removed and made into separate DLC packages....so I definitely can understand both sides of this.

OrangeGouf.png

#3005 elessar123

elessar123

96.5% more WUB WUB

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 October 2012 - 04:23 PM

Normally I wouldn't if there was an alternative. I don't want to spend more money to import something I can't enjoy reading or listening to. I like the dubbed voices, no matter how bad they could be. I enjoy all the extra stuff thrown in the limited editions, no matter how silly. (Like the...sponge...thing?)

What bugs me more is that they're including a sponge. They removed the friggin' bath scenes, so it makes no sense to include a sponge!

#3006 Bloomy

Bloomy

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 October 2012 - 04:41 PM

hmm actually, now that you mention it, the sig i DID have seems to have disappeared. Only shows up on some of my posts for some reason. Weird

The forums only include your signature on your first post on a page.

#3007 CrimsonTribe

CrimsonTribe

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 October 2012 - 06:31 PM

I know I'm just a lurker on this thread, so please feel free to flame away, but can we really not start this discussion on the thread again? The last time there was a censorship discussion it was very unproductive, even by internet standards.

Workin on it

#3008 ケネディ (KNDY)

ケネディ (KNDY)

Fan of Japanese Import Games!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 October 2012 - 03:32 AM

Atlus' Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor 2 just dropped to $19.99 on Amazon (DS). Get it now before it goes back up!

http://www.amazon.co...evil survivor 2

I just bought it right now...but for those looking for a $5 game to get the free shipping...I went ahead and purchased Final Fantasy II for the PSP which was $5.25.

Feel Free to Add me:
XB360/PSN: kndynt2099 | Wii CODE: 8397 9641 9718 7362 | 3DS CODE: 4141-2473-3225 | Steam

CHECK IT OUT -> J!-ENT 20TH ANNIVERSARY SPECIAL ISSUE (2013) (58MB/PDF)

#3009 Blade

Blade

Trying to have a member title that's longer than MDerrick

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 October 2012 - 03:39 AM

They're all worth playing. But if you skip one, I'd skip 1 just because of the paladin/medic requirement.

I've seen 2 and 3 at a local video game store for ~$20 each. I haven't even finished the DQ series I bought last year, and they don't have the first game, so I haven't bothered picking these up. Thanks for the run-down of the series. Maybe I'll wait for a B2G1.

#3010 jay_remedy

jay_remedy

Mila Kunis >

• Banned

Posted 11 October 2012 - 03:40 AM

No, we're really not. Have you ever bought a game that had a curse word censored? Did you immediately take it back to the store? It's the same principle yet I highly doubt you gave a shit.

Everyone seems to think that if we accept this little form of censorship, we'll accept any form of censorship. It's not black and white. There is a limit to what most people will accept. Most people will accept the censorship of a bathing scene of girls that look prepubescent. If they want to start censoring large blocks of the game that are slightly considered satirical of the government, then no, I doubt people will accept that.

It's a similar argument used by people who are against gay marriage. Well, if we let gays marry, what's next? Letting people marry animals? No, that's not next, that's not even a consideration. There is nothing next.

jayremedy.png29kwg3s.gif

sig.gif

#3011 ケネディ (KNDY)

ケネディ (KNDY)

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 October 2012 - 03:48 AM

Atlus' Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor 2 just dropped to $19.99 on Amazon (DS). Get it now before it goes back up!

I just bought it right now...but for those looking for a $5 game to get the free shipping...I went ahead and purchased Final Fantasy II for the PSP which was $5.25.

ADDING TO THE ORIGINAL POST:

ATLUS' Deep Labrinth (DS) is $9.00 on Amazon:
http://www.amazon.co...rds=atlus games

ATLUS - R-TYPE - Third Party ($2.00 + $4.99 shipping)
http://www.amazon.co...seller=&sr=1-64

Feel Free to Add me:
XB360/PSN: kndynt2099 | Wii CODE: 8397 9641 9718 7362 | 3DS CODE: 4141-2473-3225 | Steam

#3012 storino03

storino03

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 October 2012 - 03:51 AM

Agreed. While everyone else won't be getting Mugen Souls. I will. It's a NISA game!
Game Grabs! www.youtube.com/storino03

Posted Image

#3013 Blade

Blade

Trying to have a member title that's longer than MDerrick

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 October 2012 - 03:56 AM

It's a similar argument used by people who are against gay marriage. Well, if we let gays marry, what's next? Letting people marry animals? No, that's not next, that's not even a consideration. There is nothing next.

There's something called object sexuality, and some countries will not only let people marry animals, they'll let people marry objects.

#3014 bojay1997

bojay1997

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 October 2012 - 04:34 AM

No, we're really not. Have you ever bought a game that had a curse word censored? Did you immediately take it back to the store? It's the same principle yet I highly doubt you gave a shit.

Everyone seems to think that if we accept this little form of censorship, we'll accept any form of censorship. It's not black and white. There is a limit to what most people will accept. Most people will accept the censorship of a bathing scene of girls that look prepubescent. If they want to start censoring large blocks of the game that are slightly considered satirical of the government, then no, I doubt people will accept that.

Strongly agree on all counts.

#3015 jay_remedy

jay_remedy

Mila Kunis >

• Banned

Posted 11 October 2012 - 05:00 AM

There's something called object sexuality, and some countries will not only let people marry animals, they'll let people marry objects.

Not sure what that has to do with my point, unless you were just bringing it up as an interesting fact.

jayremedy.png29kwg3s.gif

sig.gif

#3016 erict043

erict043

CAG in Training

• CAG in Training

Posted 11 October 2012 - 06:18 AM

I'm in for Devil Survivor 2. I've been waiting forever for a price drop!

#3017 Kenshindono

Kenshindono

I'm on a Boat!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 October 2012 - 06:47 AM

ADDING TO THE ORIGINAL POST:

ATLUS' Deep Labrinth (DS) is $9.00 on Amazon:
http://www.amazon.co...rds=atlus games

ATLUS - R-TYPE - Third Party ($2.00 + $4.99 shipping)
http://www.amazon.co...seller=&sr=1-64

not sure where you got those prices.. if theres shipping it doesn't count for free s hipping, and deep labyrinth is like 20 bucks. I need to see if i have a copy of DS2. I thought i bought it but im not sure

^_^x KD
My massive game collection list: (work in progress, pain in the butt getting it all entered)
\-Clicky Here-\

#3018 doodofdoods

doodofdoods

Prinny Powered

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 October 2012 - 07:06 AM

Good price for SMT DS 2. It's a good SRPG/JRPG hybrid.
Posted Image

#3019 ケネディ (KNDY)

ケネディ (KNDY)

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 October 2012 - 07:09 AM

not sure where you got those prices.. if theres shipping it doesn't count for free s hipping, and deep labyrinth is like 20 bucks. I need to see if i have a copy of DS2. I thought i bought it but im not sure

^_^x KD

Looks the Deep Labyrinth that was on sale by a third party (fulfilled by Amazon) has sold out for $9.99 has sold and the R-Type command third party was sold as well.

But the Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor 2 sold through Amazon is still $19.99 as of right now.

--
Like the swag that is coming with Ragnarok Odyssey...

Posted Image

And for Tekken fans...you may want to go by your Target and check the clearance aisle for the clearanced "Tekken 3D". Picked up a copy for $8.70:

Posted Image

And last...this one is in Japan (rel. 10/18) but hoping XSEED will release the upcoming "The Legend of Heroes: Zero no Kiseki Evolution" stateside:

Posted Image

Feel Free to Add me:

#3020 Fabrizo

Fabrizo

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 October 2012 - 07:56 AM

hoping XSEED will release the upcoming "The Legend of Heroes: Zero no Kiseki Evolution" stateside

Unless SC does phenomenally when it's released, in which case they could throw more resources behind it, they'll probably keep working at a snails pace on the series and get to Evolution sometime around 2017 or so (since they need to release SC and TC first which should eat the next 3-4 years at the current pace before they can even start on Evolution).

Its a shame that FC only released on PSP since it probably would have sold much better on PS3 or Steam. Though apparently Falcom is working on a PS3 port of the first game now, so maybe if that comes over more people will take notice of the series.

#3021 Kenshindono

Kenshindono

I'm on a Boat!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 October 2012 - 09:10 AM

Looks the Deep Labyrinth that was on sale by a third party (fulfilled by Amazon) has sold out for $9.99 has sold and the R-Type command third party was sold as well.

But the Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor 2 sold through Amazon is still $19.99 as of right now.

thats too bad, ive been looking for a cheap copy of deep labyrinth for a while now =(

I couldn't find anything for around 5 bucks that i wanted. i considered Turning point for about 8 but figure its not even worth that =P Wound up just getting a couple volumes of Hack/Slash. It kinda sucked the first volume i got was only $4, i was $1 shy of free shipping.

^_^x KD
My massive game collection list: (work in progress, pain in the butt getting it all entered)
\-Clicky Here-\

#3022 kayne2000

kayne2000

All Glory to Tachikoma Paradise

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 October 2012 - 09:16 AM

so in the interest of managing my october-december budget i do want to try mugen souls however is this one of these games that is going to be a low print??? if it is ill cancel another preorder or two instead and get mugen souls but if its not im going to wait as i wont play it for a while probably.

EDIT:

also is this a game that isnt going to be likely to drop in price anytime soon? got a newegg preorder at 37.99....

#3023 elessar123

elessar123

96.5% more WUB WUB

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 October 2012 - 11:24 PM

You do know when the Bible was written, right? What old, non religious marriages are you referring to? Those would have to be reallllly old. As far as the polygamy, that is, as far as I know, only in the Old Testament. There are many things in the OT not observed by Christians (just read Leviticus for starters) because the Christian covenant was with Jesus in the NT. Now if we were talking about Judaism, those OT examples would make for a very interesting discussion!

Ancient Greece and China, the latter was obviously not reading the Bible.

You really don't see how forcing marriage as between a man and a woman violates the religious rights of anyone who believes otherwise, such as polygamy and same-sex?

#3024 storino03

storino03

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 October 2012 - 11:25 PM

It's hard to say. I'm guessing it will NOT be a low print, because of the stupid censor backlash everyone is in an uproar over. I, however, will be getting it regardless.
Game Grabs! www.youtube.com/storino03

Posted Image

#3025 Zaku77

Zaku77

Posted 11 October 2012 - 11:31 PM

Ancient Greece and China, the latter was obviously not reading the Bible.

You really don't see how forcing marriage as between a man and a woman violates the religious rights of anyone who believes otherwise, such as polygamy and same-sex?

This is going to be deleted anyway because the thread was cleaned, buuuut:

The US was built on Christian principles. With that in mind, this makes a fair amount of sense. Other countries are built on other principles, and that's perfectly fine. Also, the man/woman definition has nothing to do with why polygamy is illegal. After all, polygamy could be man/woman/woman/woman, eh? Gays can get all the marriage rights they want, polygamy is still not going to be legal. Why is that specific instance even being brought up by you so often? Can you not decide between two potential spouses and this is how it manifests? =P

Check out my youtube channel! I do video game collection updates, unboxings, final impressions, and intelligent game industry commentary.  Expect lots of collector's editions, as well as steelbooks from all over the world! :D

http://www.youtube.c...77?feature=mhee Twitter: https://twitter.com/Helldestroyer77

My Collection: https://docs.google....hvRG9LMlE#gid=0

#3026 elessar123

elessar123

96.5% more WUB WUB

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 October 2012 - 11:37 PM

Sigh, the mods are CENSORING US! =P

#3027 elessar123

elessar123

96.5% more WUB WUB

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 October 2012 - 11:43 PM

This is going to be deleted anyway because the thread was cleaned, buuuut:

The US was built on Christian principles. With that in mind, this makes a fair amount of sense. Other countries are built on other principles, and that's perfectly fine. Also, the man/woman definition has nothing to do with why polygamy is illegal. After all, polygamy could be man/woman/woman/woman, eh? Gays can get all the marriage rights they want, polygamy is still not going to be legal. Why is that specific instance even being brought up by you so often? Can you not decide between two potential spouses and this is how it manifests? =P

I bring it up because Christians tend to ignore everything that they don't like, even if it's from the same source. The divorce argument someone else brought up is another example, if you can't get past the idea that forcing polygamy because Christians no longer believe in it means no one can practice it.

BTW, can we just move it to Vs. instead of having everything deleted?

#3028 Ragnorok64

Ragnorok64

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 October 2012 - 12:03 AM

What the heck is going on in here? This doesn't sound like Japanese niche game deals discussion did another thread be merged into this one?

#3029 Zaku77

Zaku77

Posted 12 October 2012 - 12:40 AM

Right, well, on topic then? I am looking really forward to Ragnarok! That shit needs to be inserted into my Vita!

Check out my youtube channel! I do video game collection updates, unboxings, final impressions, and intelligent game industry commentary.  Expect lots of collector's editions, as well as steelbooks from all over the world! :D

http://www.youtube.c...77?feature=mhee Twitter: https://twitter.com/Helldestroyer77

My Collection: https://docs.google....hvRG9LMlE#gid=0

#3030 vherub

vherub

Posted 12 October 2012 - 12:44 AM

Ragnorok64-

I think the plotline for Etrian Odyssey IV has to do with selectively imposing one's own hypocritical values on another group while at the same time scapegoating that group for personal deviant inadequacies and emotional baggage.

And there will be mapping.