Photo
* * * * * 36 votes

Japanese Niche Games Deals Thread: Atlus, NISA, Aksys, XSeed and More!

• Please log in to reply
16854 replies to this topic

#3571 DarkonJohn

DarkonJohn

Growing backlog

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 January 2013 - 09:55 PM

Ok as a huge fan of JRPGs who is not a japanophile, can someone explain why dual audio matters at all? If you're going to read the text anyway why not just turn the sound off? I don't see how having voice tracks I don't understand improves the experience at all. Not being critical, I just can't even understand why it's an issue?

I'd much prefer the original Japanese voice acting (good or bad) over bad English voice acting. And even with good English voice acting, I'd prefer the Japanese voices with subtitles over the English voices (which is how I prefer to watch most Japanese anime).

Even without being translated, you can get a good sense of the meaning and emotional state of a character and what they are saying based on HOW they say something, and much of this is often lost or reinterpreted during the translation process (and rarely for the better) even if the translation itself is accurate .

For me, English voices for a Japanese movie are like watching Seven Samaurai spoken in English by people with hillbilly accents. And in many cases with anime, when I compare the quality of the voice acting between Japanese and English, the Japanese is often much better (IMO).

For video games, it's not as critical since the faces/voices are rarely in synch anyway, but I still prefer the Japanese language version in most cases, and especially when the game wasn't originally expected to be translated to English from the beginning. It's just closer to what was originally intended, which usually means better.

Of course, that's all based on how well you can read/listen at the same time. I have no trouble at all reading subtitled movies and actually blend the voices and words together in my mind so the two aren't really separate. But it might not work that way for others.

On a side note, it is sometimes funny to watch a foreign movie that has translated voices and is subtitled with both set to English. Sometimes the two translations are VERY different, often to hilarious effect. But it also gives you insight into just how differently something can be translated and how much the different translation can affect the meaning.
3DS FC: 3652-0544-2057 (PM me with yours if you add me)
Posted Image

#3572 barrit

barrit

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 January 2013 - 09:56 PM

Ok as a huge fan of JRPGs who is not a japanophile, can someone explain why dual audio matters at all? If you're going to read the text anyway why not just turn the sound off? I don't see how having voice tracks I don't understand improves the experience at all. Not being critical, I just can't even understand why it's an issue?

For me personally, the tone of voice, the feeling in their voice, and just the way they say things says a lot about a character's personality.

I'm not totally against English voice acting, but if a game was first recorded in Japanese, I just prefer to hear it in the original voice. I'm the same exact way with movies whether the original language was Mandarin, French, whatever.

I also want to note that NISA's releases are not always fully voiced in English either. So you will have more scenes in Japanese audio, while that same scene will be be completely silent if you chose English voices.

Trust me, I TRY to give the English voices a chance for every release, but it's not long before I switch it right back. For example with Rorona, there were a lot of scenes that were silent in their English counterparts. The game also isn't the same without hearing "barrel" in Japanese lol. The voices in English also give off a whole different personality. Most English voices either make the character sound extremely bratty, attitude-y, or just cartoonish. With the English voice option.. it just made the game pretty boring. The Japanese voices just gave the character so much personality and are very likeable in my opinion.

With Trinity universe, the main male character's voice in English just did not match for me whatsoever. He just sounded like a big dork. The female main character was just extremely annoying and had that typical bratty attitude to it.

Edited by barrit, 16 January 2013 - 10:14 PM.

#3573 Soma_Cruz

Soma_Cruz

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 January 2013 - 09:59 PM

I prefer to have dual audio but it's not a deal breaker for me.

#3574 whoknows

whoknows

TIme and Eternity #1 Fan

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 January 2013 - 10:02 PM

I don't really think it's the same as in a movie. If a movie is dubbed it's over the person who was actually speaking. It's not really the same thing with a video game since the character is completely fictional and made up. They never had a voice they were "born with" so to speak. English voice acting is just giving that character an English voice, you aren't dubbing over their original voice.

you are a pillar of the video game/gaming community. 

Thanks you are truly a pillar of the community!

#3575 Pets0undz

Pets0undz

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 January 2013 - 10:16 PM

I wonder if this is the last PSP UMD for North America? (I haven't even heard of any PSP games being released for this year except this game.)

Class of Heroes II is said to be getting at least a short run of UMDs. I'm really enjoying Hakuoki, but the reviews of the combat system in Hakuoki: WotS have me concerned.

#3576 whitereflection

whitereflection

Shake well before serving

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 January 2013 - 10:17 PM

I do it to practice listening to Japanese. Aside from that, because I grew up with English it's very easy for me to identify shitty voice acting in my native language, but much harder in Japanese. Too many games still have that "cartoon voice acting" crap that I could barely put up with when I was a kid.

So you acknowledge that even Japanese dubbing can be really bad, but you wouldn't notice it because you don't understand the language. But would it really bother you for a game like Persona where the English acting is actually pretty good?

For me, English voices for a Japanese movie are like watching Seven Samaurai spoken in English by people with hillbilly accents. And in many cases with anime, when I compare the quality of the voice acting between Japanese and English, the Japanese is often much better (IMO).

You don't understand Japanese, how would you know which is worse? In Japan, normal people who don't like anime call anime fans "otaku" as a derogatory term because the acting in anime usually is childish and cartoony in their language too.

#3577 rockykai

rockykai

Posted 16 January 2013 - 10:19 PM

Pandora's Tower to US? Cool!

Now I have to figure out how hard it is (compared to other dungeon crawlers too) because my tolerance for the average JRPG difficulty is getting close to zero.

#3578 Vinny

Vinny

Bang, bang... pew...

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 January 2013 - 10:24 PM

XSEED is bringing Pandora's Tower to the US.

FINALLY!

Geez... took them long enough to announce. Now I wish I hadn't imported the CE since Xseed will likely dish out a better CE than the European one.

It's a pretty good game but probably the worst of the OR games.

Currently playing: 

:wiiu: Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD - :D

:vita: Valhalla Knights 3 - :-|

:ps3: Zone of the Enders 2nd Runner HD - :-|

fyreboltx.png
║My Tradelists: Games, Guides & Game Related GoodiesWantlist

#3579 Jommy

Jommy

Cool Ass Gamer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 January 2013 - 10:32 PM

Geez... took them long enough to announce. Now I wish I hadn't imported the CE since Xseed will likely dish out a better CE than the European one.

Eh I wouldnt feel bad about your purchase. The Xseed Last Story package was not as good as the EU Last Story CE.

#3580 Vinny

Vinny

Bang, bang... pew...

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 January 2013 - 10:53 PM

Eh I wouldnt feel bad about your purchase. The Xseed Last Story package was not as good as the EU Last Story CE.

I dunno, I like my Xseed TLS CE more than the PAL one. The steelbook is nice, but Xseed's overall package is better (bigger artbook, nicer display box) since I don't really use steelbooks.

Currently playing: 

:wiiu: Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD - :D

:vita: Valhalla Knights 3 - :-|

:ps3: Zone of the Enders 2nd Runner HD - :-|

fyreboltx.png
║My Tradelists: Games, Guides & Game Related GoodiesWantlist

#3581 HakaHina

HakaHina

Glasses God

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 January 2013 - 11:26 PM

So you acknowledge that even Japanese dubbing can be really bad, but you wouldn't notice it because you don't understand the language. But would it really bother you for a game like Persona where the English acting is actually pretty good?

You don't understand Japanese, how would you know which is worse? In Japan, normal people who don't like anime call anime fans "otaku" as a derogatory term because the acting in anime usually is childish and cartoony in their language too.

I use the Japanese audio to help with learning too, especially with how a sentence is used (since in the language, the structure of word placement is very flexible). I don't think most people are mad about the fact that the English dub is bad (as far as we all know, the dubbing in this game can be superb); more likely, it's that they cut the option to include both tracks, and to a perfectionist, this can seem a little off-putting. I recognize that Tecmo is a company and may cut corners to increase profits, and this won't change my decision to buy the game, but it just seems bad when compared to NISA's previous formula of including dual-audio in the Arland series.

And while video game dubbing is acceptable because sprite images don't necessarily have moving mouths (which give the voice actor/actress much more flexibility with their voice), it just doesn't hold true to anime or movies. English dubbing in them has to have the ability to create sentences that adhere to the movements of the mouth (otherwise, it'd look like an old Hong Kong film with bad lipsyncing) while maintaining accurate meaning in the sentence. To a natural speaker, dubbed anime and films would seem to take a lot of liberties in translation; this is especially true when Japanese doesn't have articles in sentences (a, an, the, etc.), which can mess up the flow of syncing words to a moving mouth in a dub.

Lastly, the term otaku doesn't just apply to anime, it can describe a person who is obsessed with just about anything, such as densha (train) otaku. They don't label anime fans as otaku because anime acting is childish; rather, they do it because of the fan's silly obsession over it and constantly buying merchandise like figures or body pillows.

Edited by HakaHina, 16 January 2013 - 11:47 PM.

#3582 Deader2818

Deader2818

Flipadelphia!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 January 2013 - 11:46 PM

So will Pandora's Tower be a Wii game or Wii U?

#3583 bojay1997

bojay1997

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 January 2013 - 12:00 AM

So will Pandora's Tower be a Wii game or Wii U?

Wii. It will, however, play on a WiiU just like other Wii games do.

#3584 shivan128

shivan128

CAG at heart

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 January 2013 - 12:10 AM

Too late for me. Already bought the U.K. LE.

Crap crap crap!!! I just bought the CE from amazon uk. Gonna have to double dip now.

edaa9c273976.png

My tradelist: http://www.cheapassg...ad.php?t=301364

Currently Playing:  :vita: Dragon Fantasy book 2, :3ds: Azure Striker Gunvolt, :360: N/A, :ps3: N/A, :ps4: Diablo 3, :wiiu: Hyrule Warriors

#3585 AugustAPC

AugustAPC

Not For Sale

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 January 2013 - 12:35 AM

Fuck me. I bought it too. :wall:

Waste of money... why couldn't they have just brought it over before the Wii U?

Hopefully X-Seed brings over a decent CE, cause my copy is going on eBay tomorrow.

Edited by AugustAPC, 17 January 2013 - 01:03 AM.

#3586 kamakazi5

kamakazi5

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 January 2013 - 01:37 AM

Fuck me. I bought it too. :wall:

Waste of money... why couldn't they have just brought it over before the Wii U?

Hopefully X-Seed brings over a decent CE, cause my copy is going on eBay tomorrow.

That's what I'm thinking of doing now. My fiance is giving the Wii to her sister and I don't think there is a way to play imports on the Wii U yet. I really like the packaging though.
My games/what I'm playing - www.backloggery.com/kamakazi5

#3587 AugustAPC

AugustAPC

Not For Sale

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 January 2013 - 01:43 AM

Yea... it's a really nice CE. The steelbook is very pretty. That's the only reason I'm hesitant about selling it... but no use in having 2 CEs for one game to me... so I'm gonna go ahead and sell mine.

#3588 Bandersnatch84

Bandersnatch84

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 January 2013 - 08:10 AM

My CE came today from Amazon.uk. Will definitely buy the US release, but the UK CE is pretty sweet. Interesting how it came with the game in a regular case, but also the steelbook. What's with steelbooks printing the name of the game on the spine really really small though?

#3589 AugustAPC

AugustAPC

Not For Sale

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 January 2013 - 09:03 AM

Honestly, I like when collector's editions come with both a steelbook and a standard case. It gives you the option to display it as you choose.

I actually don't use my steelbooks, as I can't stand inconsistency. I'd have to have a steelbook for ALL of my wii/360/ps3 games. I do display my collector's edition separate from my game shelving though.

#3590 bruceg

bruceg

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 January 2013 - 12:27 PM

Nice, almost bought the UK Pandora Tower CE, but glad I waited. Don't want the Euro version, unless there is definitely not going to be a USA release.

#3591 shivan128

shivan128

CAG at heart

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 January 2013 - 12:40 PM

Honestly, I like when collector's editions come with both a steelbook and a standard case. It gives you the option to display it as you choose.

I actually don't use my steelbooks, as I can't stand inconsistency. I'd have to have a steelbook for ALL of my wii/360/ps3 games. I do display my collector's edition separate from my game shelving though.

Damn CAG... I'm running out of space in my display shelf for collector's editions soon. Gonna need a second shelf!

edaa9c273976.png

My tradelist: http://www.cheapassg...ad.php?t=301364

Currently Playing:  :vita: Dragon Fantasy book 2, :3ds: Azure Striker Gunvolt, :360: N/A, :ps3: N/A, :ps4: Diablo 3, :wiiu: Hyrule Warriors

#3592 SolidSnake86

SolidSnake86

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 January 2013 - 03:55 AM

Wha...? Is no one excited about the recent release of Corpse Party: Book of Shadows on PSN this week? Maybe not a 'deal' at $19.99 for a downloadable title, but it took the first Corpse Party over a year to go on sale (plus I'm pretty surprised they imported this at all).

#3593 TommyLove

TommyLove

Posted 18 January 2013 - 04:00 AM

YES YES YES PANDORA'S TOWER FINALLY COMING TO THE US!!! :whee: :whee: :whee:
My collection and trade-list:
H: The Legend Of Zelda: Hyrule Historia LE in Mint condition W: equal value in trades or amazon/eBay prices
http://www.cheapassg...ad.php?t=330790
My game plays:
http://www.youtube.com/tommylovehd
Posted Image

#3594 darkrun

darkrun

CAG in Training

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 January 2013 - 04:07 AM

I'm still waiting on retailers in the US to confirm that they will be selling reprints of Etrian Odyssey DS games. I emailed Amazon and of course I get the lame generic response. I emailed Gamestop and no reply. I emailed Atlus and no reply. How unprofessional of them, I really want to get it from Amazon or Best Buy since I have gift cards there, but thankfully Play Asia has them for cheap!

#3595 salty tbone

salty tbone

Flipmode Squad

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 January 2013 - 06:04 AM

Found Gungnir today used at Gamestop for $12.99. It's $14.99 new (though probably gutted). Must be a recent drop because the price sticker was wrong.

http://www.gamestop....s/gungnir/98719

Also, I noticed at a couple Gamestops there was a B2G1 free sale just on PS2 and PSP used games. Not sure if that's everywhere, though.
[URL="http://www.goozex.com/trading/asp/goozexprofile.asp?id=558134175419"][/URL]

#3596 Olengie

Olengie

Yukari & Rise are the Best Girls.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 January 2013 - 06:51 AM

Hmmm, I'll be on the lookout at my local Gamestops for the B2G1 on the used PSP Games. :lol:

gallery_349297_8234_6637.jpg

Designed By Lilchiji

Spoiler

Spoiler

#3597 Echoes

Echoes

Farm roads ftw

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 January 2013 - 07:30 AM

Well this is random, but Vanguard Princess has an official English release.
Its available on Amazon for $5.

steam_sig.png

Forms_and_Shapes.png

#3598 Psychonik

Psychonik

Psychomancer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 January 2013 - 07:38 AM

When did the first corpse party go on sale?

#3599 kitsunisan

kitsunisan

Posted 18 January 2013 - 07:39 AM

Well this is random, but Vanguard Princess has an official English release.
Its available on Amazon for $5.

I'm...trying to hit that buy and download button...but a nagging voice in the back of my head keeps slapping me saying I've been playing the same game for free for three years now.

#3600 Echoes

Echoes

Farm roads ftw

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 January 2013 - 07:50 AM

I'm...trying to hit that buy and download button...but a nagging voice in the back of my head keeps slapping me saying I've been playing the same game for free for three years now.

Haha I know. I actually went ahead and bought it anyway though :P

On the bright side, as far as I can tell, its DRM free >.> The version on Gamersgate says it has Securom.

steam_sig.png

Forms_and_Shapes.png