I have been converted to HD(using a 21.5" LCD monitor that's full 1080p w/ my PS3)

The difference between SD and HD IS indeed night and day.

Everything is crisper, cleaner and I can actually read most of the friggin' text in games now.

I played GTA IV for a bit earlier and I could tell what it said on the phone's display without having to go hide in a shady spot to see the screen.

I apologize to all of those who I pissed off with my 'I'll never go HD' rants. But now that I have, even though it's only a 21.5" Acer LCD monitor from Target for $160, I cannot get myself to go back.

Trust me. If you had seen all of my 'I'll buy a used SDtv for $20 from a thrift store before I "upgrade" ' shit I used to post, you'd realize how monumental this is for me to admit I was wrong.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']Trust me. If you had seen all of my 'I'll buy a used SDtv for $20 from a thrift store before I "upgrade" ' shit I used to post, you'd realize how monumental this is for me to admit I was wrong.[/QUOTE]

Oh, lol. Makes more sense I suppose.

Now admit Uncharted 2 MP is great and that GTA4 MP is dooty for the trifecta.

[quote name='mguiddy']:rofl:
This explains the snow.[/QUOTE]

But that still doesn't explain the lack of an invite in GTA when you guys are supposedly playing.:razz:

Of course, I'd have to have any of you on my friends list and at this point I don't think I do anymore.:cry:

[quote name='Frank Deluded']Oh, lol. Makes more sense I suppose.

Now admit Uncharted 2 MP is great and that GTA4 MP is dooty for the trifecta.[/QUOTE]

Whaddya want the apocalypse to come about? If I admit I was wrong THREE times, that's gotta be a sign of the end times.:lol:

Speaking of GTA4 mp, that's what I'm playing right now. The speakers are a bit tinny on this monitor, but I'll probably jack in some better ones for when I just cruise around in Liberty City in GTA IV.

[quote name='elessar123']Wait till you get a larger tv...[/QUOTE]

Wait until you can get an actual HDTV... those PC monitors which do HD resolutions really don't do HD justice.

I used a 21" 720p monitor for a while but when I moved to an actual HDTV, it was such huge improvement (though not as drastic as going from SD to HD).

Does this mean you're going to upgrade your 3rd world internet too? I told you HD is BOOTYFUL. I got 40 inch 1080p and I cream my underwear every time I play Uncharted.

[quote name='Vinny']Wait until you can get an actual HDTV... those PC monitors which do HD resolutions really don't do HD justice.

I used a 21" 720p monitor for a while but when I moved to an actual HDTV, it was such huge improvement (though not as drastic as going from SD to HD).[/QUOTE]

Baby steps, Baby steps. It took me this long to get an HD monitor and that was only cuz it was $160($152 n change actually after shopworn discount of $16). But if I see an HDtv in the $200-300 range, I might bite on it too, but that's gonna take a looooong while.

[quote name='Paco']Does this mean you're going to upgrade your 3rd world internet too? I told you HD is BOOTYFUL. I got 40 inch 1080p and I cream my underwear every time I play Uncharted.[/QUOTE]

Hey now. I like playing MKII in super slow mo. Mind ya, I tried it out as the first downloadable game to play in 1080p and I never realized there was a border around MKII cuz it never came up on my SDtv.

But I'm considering getting the Comcast $19.99 deal, since the DSL keeps disappointing. When I was only using it for surfing the net on my PC, it was OK, but it sucks for downloading on the PS3.

Thank you. Now if I can just get some halfway decent internet, then I could join ya all in Red Faction, since my 'Brazilian internet'(Paco's words, not mine) kept getting me kicked whenever I tried to.

[quote name='fatmanforlife99']http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=320481783735

They were selling these for like 2 months, I got mine a couple days after new years, the thing is really nice. Good for you. I would rather play on a monitor over an HDTV any day of the week.[/QUOTE]

I was looking at a Samsung for a while on Dell's site, which came with a Logitech cordless desktop combo for like $190 shipped, but I couldn't pull the trigger since I still needed to figure out some sort of sound solution.

With the one I bought it has integrated speakers(a bit tinny), but I plan on getting some decent external ones that won't make a loud buzzing noise like the pair I tried earlier.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']I was looking at a Samsung for a while on Dell's site, which came with a Logitech cordless desktop combo for like $190 shipped, but I couldn't pull the trigger since I still needed to figure out some sort of sound solution.

With the one I bought it has integrated speakers(a bit tinny), but I plan on getting some decent external ones that won't make a loud buzzing noise like the pair I tried earlier.[/QUOTE]

I got a 2.1 logitech pc sound system and it sounds great.

I know with my 360 hooked up to the monitor via vga I can plug the rca audio into my soundcard; how do you split the audio through hdmi with a ps3 tho?

[quote name='Vinny']Wait until you can get an actual HDTV... those PC monitors which do HD resolutions really don't do HD justice.

I used a 21" 720p monitor for a while but when I moved to an actual HDTV, it was such huge improvement (though not as drastic as going from SD to HD).[/QUOTE]

What are you talking about?!?

If you're comparing going from a 21" 720p to an "actual" HDTV that does 1080p, that's NOT comparing a monitor to HDTV. That's comparing previous gen "HD" tv to current HD tv. Let's see if you'll say the same thing if you had used a 1080p monitor (any monitor that supports 1920x1080, which most likely has a native of 1920x1200).

For example (consider this advertising) the Samsung Touch of Color T240HD that I bought back in July '09. It is a 24" Monitor with an HDTV tuner. It's a "monitor" because it has a native resolution of 1920x1200. Of course it gives you a black border when watching any "HDTV" source (1080p).

Granted, 24" is small for an HDTV... but I use it as a monitor, 2nd screen, for my laptop. Since the monitor supports two HDMI connections, I have both my PS3 and my laptop going in as HDMI1 and HDMI2, respectively. :mrgreen:

And yes, the reason I got it was so I could watch TV once in a while.

[quote name='halfbent']I know with my 360 hooked up to the monitor via vga I can plug the rca audio into my soundcard; how do you split the audio through hdmi with a ps3 tho?[/QUOTE]

The PS3 has the option in the settings to output to something other than HDMI (RCA, optical, etc). Basically, you get the multi-cable that came with the ps3, and plug only the audio lines to whatever speakers you want... and just use HDMI for video. If you want some MORE fun... it actually supports outputting audio to more than one connection... at the same time.

Last edited by a moderator:
Even when the truth is obvious, it's tough to admit you're wrong. So I'll recognize the significance of this thread. :) Welcome into the light.

I just got a 47". The 120hz makes movies look cheap (good thing I can turn that feature off) but it makes many video games artificially run at 60fps

[quote name='Goobers']The PS3 has the option in the settings to output to something other than HDMI (RCA, optical, etc). Basically, you get the multi-cable that came with the ps3, and plug only the audio lines to whatever speakers you want... and just use HDMI for video. If you want some MORE fun... it actually supports outputting audio to more than one connection... at the same time.[/QUOTE]

Ah excellent; I picked mine up used from Gamestop this season for cheap so I only had the essentials. :)

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']The difference between SD and HD IS indeed night and day.

Everything is crisper, cleaner and I can actually read most of the friggin' text in games now.

I played GTA IV for a bit earlier and I could tell what it said on the phone's display without having to go hide in a shady spot to see the screen.

I apologize to all of those who I pissed off with my 'I'll never go HD' rants. But now that I have, even though it's only a 21.5" Acer LCD monitor from Target for $160, I cannot get myself to go back.[/QUOTE]

HOLY CRAP, it must be the end of the world as we know it!

Congrats, Cheapest, wow, I'm almost speechless here. I just have a question: is there anything you'd like me to get you? Like some sauce or water to go with that Crow?

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']The difference between SD and HD IS indeed night and day.

I apologize to all of those who I pissed off with my 'I'll never go HD' rants. But now that I have, even though it's only a 21.5" Acer LCD monitor from Target for $160, I cannot get myself to go back.[/QUOTE]you can't tell the difference between 1080P and anything else until you go over 42 inches (Fact). I was once a TV salesman, if you bought it because of the numbers you got suckered. Now go try a Samsung Touch of Color Series 46inch 1080P then get back to me.

[quote name='phantasyx']you can't tell the difference between 1080P and anything else until you go over 42 inches (Fact). I was once a TV salesman, if you bought it because of the numbers you got suckered. Now go try a Samsung Touch of Color Series 46inch 1080P then get back to me.[/QUOTE]

Not everybody can afford or they don't want one, dick.

Congrats I guess. Once you solve your "Brazillian internets" issue, you may one day realize that one can be TOO cheap. Only then will the 7th seal will be broken!

[quote name='Goobers']What are you talking about?!?

If you're comparing going from a 21" 720p to an "actual" HDTV that does 1080p, that's NOT comparing a monitor to HDTV. That's comparing previous gen "HD" tv to current HD tv. Let's see if you'll say the same thing if you had used a 1080p monitor (any monitor that supports 1920x1080, which most likely has a native of 1920x1200).

For example (consider this advertising) the Samsung Touch of Color T240HD that I bought back in July '09. It is a 24" Monitor with an HDTV tuner. It's a "monitor" because it has a native resolution of 1920x1200. Of course it gives you a black border when watching any "HDTV" source (1080p).

Granted, 24" is small for an HDTV... but I use it as a monitor, 2nd screen, for my laptop. Since the monitor supports two HDMI connections, I have both my PS3 and my laptop going in as HDMI1 and HDMI2, respectively. :mrgreen:

And yes, the reason I got it was so I could watch TV once in a while.

[/QUOTE]

Who said I was comparing 720p to 1080p? My monitor was 720p, and my HDTV is 720p. The only difference was size (21" to 32") but I sat really close to my monitor whereas I sit pretty far away from my HDTV.

And you're only talking about resolution, which isn't the only issue in HD monitor vs HDTV. Contrast ratios, backlight, colors, etc. are all different in most PC monitors vs HDTVs since PC monitors generally serve a different purposes than TVs.

Basically, what I said was that HD monitors and HDTVs ARE NOT the same thing. I wasn't comparing them.

Of course, I wouldn't be surprised if newer monitors did things differently since multimedia PCs are big these days.:whistle2:k

[quote name='sinkingships']I finally switched from sd to hd too and I love it. gaming feels so different.[/QUOTE]

It's like sex without a condom.

[quote name='phantasyx']you can't tell the difference between 1080P and anything else until you go over 42 inches (Fact). I was once a TV salesman, if you bought it because of the numbers you got suckered. Now go try a Samsung Touch of Color Series 46inch 1080P then get back to me.[/QUOTE]
Yes, that is true. But read the fucking post. He is stating sd vs. hd. Wow! It is the end of the world as we know it. IATCG goes HD! This should be mentioned in the Cagcast.

[quote name='rmb']Yes, that is true. But read the fucking post. He is stating sd vs. hd. Wow! It is the end of the world as we know it. IATCG goes HD! This should be mentioned in the Cagcast.[/QUOTE]

fuck the podcast. Obama should make an announcement out of this.

[quote name='iamthecheapestgamer']the difference between sd and hd is indeed night and day.

Everything is crisper, cleaner and i can actually read most of the friggin' text in games now.

[/quote]

you lie!!! !!!

[quote name='fatmanforlife99']I got a 2.1 logitech pc sound system and it sounds great.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the heads up. I'll definitely have to look for one of those. Every station sounds a bit like talk/news radio on the speakers on the monitor.

[quote name='jh6269']HOLY CRAP, it must be the end of the world as we know it!

Congrats, Cheapest, wow, I'm almost speechless here. I just have a question: is there anything you'd like me to get you? Like some sauce or water to go with that Crow?[/QUOTE]

I'd prefer a can or two of Jolt cola, but I can't find it in stores anymore AGAIN. They seem to yank it from the market about once every 3-4 years or so for some reason.

Maybe add in some steak sauce or something too, since I've heard crow can be very tough.;)

Thanks for adding nothing to the conversation at hand, douchebag. Let me know when those 42" 1080p HDtvs drop to under $200 and I'll gladly get one.

I sit like 5 feet from my PS3 and the monitor, so for the size room I'm playing in, it suits me just fine.:razz: But thanks for showing what a total tool you are.:D;):applause:

I still think it's all hype and a bowl of crap. HD doesn't improve gaming, although that might be because I own a lot of classic systems too. For the price HD just doesn't do enough. I don't watch sports or movies and for all I know most of my PS3 games won't take advantage of it.

It's just a visual trick between a tube TV and LCD. Laptops look different and they aren't HD.

[quote name='DPsx7']I still think it's all hype and a bowl of crap.[/QUOTE]

Come on man. Cheapest is probably one of the most stubborn people ever; if he says there's a difference then there IS a difference. :lol:

[quote name='jh6269']Come on man. Cheapest is probably one of the most stubborn people ever; if he says there's a difference then there IS a difference. :lol:[/QUOTE]

Hey now. I resemble that remark.:lol: But yeah, I was a stubborn mf'er and even I have to admit that I'm loving this HD monitor I'm playing on now.:D

Well, all I can say is, glad you finally found a good deal. Now you just have to replay all your games, talk to you next year :D

[quote name='jh6269']Well, all I can say is, glad you finally found a good deal. Now you just have to replay all your games, talk to you next year :D[/QUOTE]

I have 10 games left as of now: GTA IV, Red Faction Guerrilla, God Of War Collection, Darksiders, Little Big Planet, Saint's Row 2, Sacred 2, Mercenaries 2, Rise of the Argonauts and Afro Samurai.

Of those, I've finished Saint's Row 2, RF:G and GTA IV. The rest I have some interest in finishing, though the only one I really want to finish 100% is Darksiders.:D

[quote name='jh6269']Come on man. Cheapest is probably one of the most stubborn people ever; if he says there's a difference then there IS a difference. :lol:[/QUOTE]He's a joke character, don't worry about it.

[quote name='dallow']He's a joke character, don't worry about it.[/QUOTE]

A joke character?:D The hell you say. I really am this cantankerous, sarcastic and beligerent in real life too.;)

I am not a caricature, I am real.:) That's my story and I'm sticking to it.:booty:

[quote name='DPsx7']I still think it's all hype and a bowl of crap. HD doesn't improve gaming, although that might be because I own a lot of classic systems too. For the price HD just doesn't do enough. I don't watch sports or movies and for all I know most of my PS3 games won't take advantage of it.

It's just a visual trick between a tube TV and LCD. Laptops look different and they aren't HD.[/QUOTE]

I used to play Atari 2600 on a black and white TV. Night and Day when played on a colour set, because the games were meant to be played in colour. The PS3 is a high-def system, so yes, it makes a difference on what you play. If you can't afford high-def, that's a different argument, but it does make a difference.

uh, laptops, and computers in general, have supported HD resolutions since, what, the 90's? And I have no idea what you mean by visual trick between tube TV and LCD. Do you think every LCD TV comes with Criss Angel in the box?

now that you went HD... I bet you wished you had gotten a bigger TV.... don't torture yourself, next time go for the 36 or 42" TV. Enjoy your new HD setup!

Its hard to forgive someone who is such an utter douchebag, like yourself, but congrats on finally seeing what is meant to be seen. Now maybe you can stop thinking you know everything and accept the advice of others.

[quote name='Cthulhu8u']
uh, laptops, and computers in general, have supported HD resolutions since, what, the 90's? And I have no idea what you mean by visual trick between tube TV and LCD. Do you think every LCD TV comes with Criss Angel in the box?[/QUOTE]

Hey cut him some slack, he might still be using a 14" CRT at 640x480. Don't be such an elitist, HD is just a lie.

bread's done
Back