Photo
- - - - -

CAGcast #188: When Vaginas & Demons Attack!

• Please log in to reply
112 replies to this topic

#31 bsachtjen

bsachtjen

Posted 18 February 2010 - 06:15 PM

Wombats sound quality isn't even that bad, Good show guys.

#32 BoneMonkey80

BoneMonkey80

Bonetastic!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 February 2010 - 06:18 PM

I was displeased with this CAGCAST there was ZERO vagina or demon attacks.
Posted Image

#33 Gentlegamer

Gentlegamer

Posted 18 February 2010 - 06:36 PM

For Tai's next birthday party:

*raises hand as a CAG over 30*

Re: audio quality - I recently went back and listed to the first CAGcasts I heard, back before E3 2007, where live shows got their start. The calls on those first live shows were really good compared to what we've heard lately. The "name that tune" and "stump the retailer" bits live were really good. Too bad that can't be recaptured, seemingly.
Posted Image

#34 colt4by5

colt4by5

Works every time.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 February 2010 - 06:51 PM

Is this episode about my ex-girlfriend?

#35 Dual45s

Dual45s

BOOM! Face.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 February 2010 - 07:07 PM

Considering the garbage reception I get on my iPhone in the mountains...I barely noticed the small pops in Wombat's audio.

Cheapy has hit on one of the biggest pet peeves I've acquired in this latest generation of gaming. DLC and I have a love/hate relationship. I'm of the opinion that if your game costs $60 and within the first month or two there's already paid DLC, you're an asshole. Not as big an asshole as the guy who cuts a now standardized play option and offers it as paid DLC , but still an asshole. When it comes to new multiplayer maps after the game's been out for a while...I'm apathetic. That's solely a personal opinion though. Fine, new maps...cool. I really enjoy if there's a whole new campaign, ala Left 4 Dead, Fallout 3, etc. that's offered down the line. That's what I feel DLC should really be reserved for.

If you have enough staff to polish a game before launch and have DLC ready to go at launch, you're doing it wrong.
Ordered from LSC/FS:
Scene It (ord. 8/14|confirm no|rec. 8/26)
Italian Hottie Cookbook #1 & #2
(ord. 6/25|confirm no|rec. 7/18)
360 Pro Bundle (ord. 6/25|confirm 7/2|rec. 7/9)
360 Wireless Controller
(ord. 6/25|confirm 7/1|rec. 7/9)
Rock Band
(ord. 12/11|confirm no|rec. 12/18)
360 Wireless Controller (ord. 1/08|confirm no|rec. 1/29)
360 Play and Charge Kit (ord. 1/08|confirm ???|rec. ???)
http://www.bungie.ne...o3/Dual45s.ashx

#36 eataburger

eataburger

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 February 2010 - 07:21 PM

Great episode. Wombat was ON today and Cheapy seemed more engaged into talking about games. Thanks for no spoilers on ME yet, I hope to be done by next show too.

Regarding poorly timed game releases, I wonder how Bioshock 2's sales are affected by coming out a week after ME2. Most people I know want to play both, but bought ME2 first and were still playing it when BS2 came out. Now the buzz is kinda gone and we're looking for a price drop / used copy of Bioshock 2.

IMO they should have waited a couple extra weeks so at least the new Bioshock 2 would be on a diferent paycheque.

#37 banodyne

banodyne

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 February 2010 - 07:27 PM

Cheapy, good calling out Jim Silver as an example of bad video game journalism. I used to read Destructoid but I gave up because they tried being Kotaku without the commentary Kotaku usually throws in. Without giving your own spin, you might as well not have a site and just repost stories on Facebook.

#38 banodyne

banodyne

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 February 2010 - 07:30 PM

Despite Cheapy's warning I thought the audio quality was pretty good. Haven't finished it so maybe Wombat's voice dies off later. The nice thing is that with Shipwreck now on the show, if one guy's connection fails you still have the other to talk to.

#39 ChernobylCow

ChernobylCow

Posted 18 February 2010 - 07:37 PM

Audio isn't that bad for wombat. Just a light clicking. Despite the bad audio that was a totally bad ass interview with the Mass Effect designer. Most of these blog sites don't get anything half that in-depth with a game...especially a game that just came out. Good work.

Speaking of blogs. I thought it was funny you pointing out that Jim Sterling just posted a quote with no analysis or commentary. That drives me fucking nuts. Kotaku is guilty too.

#40 GamerChris

GamerChris

It's a Funny Name.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 February 2010 - 07:43 PM

Audio was terrible for me. I usually listen while I'm at work and can hear the clicking sounds when everyone speaks, not just wombat. I couldn't take it, so had to skip this podcast as well.

594280.png

#41 dubbfoolio

dubbfoolio

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 February 2010 - 08:01 PM

I think what the Sony PR guy was trying to say is that in spite of our smaller install base we have a higher attach rate for most genres. i.e. your sales might be better than you'd expect on PS3. Of course he said it as obscurely and complicatedly as possible to mask the fact that at the end of the day they sell less copies. This is only useful to publishers if they assume Sony will catch up to Microsoft in the future.

#42 SuxoR

SuxoR

What choice did I have?

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 February 2010 - 08:08 PM

Been listening to some old CAGcasts and was really looking forward to this one :]

I'd have to disagree with Cheapy on the "Not needing deep games on a portable" I only buy games that I can get hours and hours of game play out of (mostly RPG's)
Being on the move it gives you the ability to constantly be playing, and the more in depth the game is the more enjoyment that's possible to get out of the game.

"I'll shit in your shower, but I'll clean up afterward" best line ever haha

Thanks guys

Edited by SuxoR, 20 February 2010 - 12:01 AM.

1xz7eo.gif

#43 Mayday

Mayday

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 February 2010 - 09:00 PM

Back with a bang guys, after a few lack for better word shit shows, I loved this one. The Audio was fine, but I do have something to say. Shipwreck speak the Fuck up, when you talk your so funny, come on dude let the ginger mouth of yours yell to the sky.

#44 stonefry

stonefry

Not stoned or fried!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 February 2010 - 09:37 PM

This week's audio problem was a mouse scratching in the walls. The audio for the live show was the brain bug from Star Trek II in my ear.

#45 stonefry

stonefry

Not stoned or fried!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 February 2010 - 09:40 PM

Loved the show guys. Wombat sounded like he was speed wacking it every time he talked which made the show even funnier.

Great, I am half way through the show and now all I can think about for the last half is Wombat speed-fapping. Thanks for that!

#46 stonefry

stonefry

Not stoned or fried!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 February 2010 - 09:44 PM

I was displeased with this CAGCAST there was ZERO vagina or demon attacks.

Are you sure you listened to the correct show? It was full of vaginas and demon attacks.

#47 AleetPanda

AleetPanda

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 February 2010 - 09:53 PM

Good show, I agree a bit with Shipwreck about caring about Dante but I still thought Dante's inferno was a pretty good game. Going holy or unholy doesn't give alternate endings and thats lame. I platinum'ed it in less than a week but still felt that I enjoyed it long enough.

#48 Nebenator

Nebenator

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 February 2010 - 09:54 PM

Shipwreck, I don't mean to sound like a jerk, but just BE QUIET. I can barely hear Cheapy speak when you open your mouth. You don't have any experience with gaming or game reviews, so show some respect when they let you on the show. More importantly, the podcast was inaudible this time around, please go back to the live shows and stop ignoring the comments. Also, Dark Void for GOTY 2010.

#49 DarkNessBear

DarkNessBear

Posted 18 February 2010 - 10:06 PM

Every time Wombat talked, I felt like I detected some Iridium while scanning planets...
360/PS3/PC/Wii Owner Currently playing: U3, Skyrim, AC:R

#50 wiiheat

wiiheat

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 February 2010 - 10:43 PM

I need this. Thanks guys...

#51 Hbomb5

Hbomb5

Cross Border Gamer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 February 2010 - 11:24 PM

Good show, guys. Thanks for discussing my tweet. I guess I just I don't translate well to a phone call.

It'll be interesting to see what this "DS2" is. I personally think it needs at least 4GB flash (doesn't PSP Go have 16?), but I would be surprised if it has more than 1.

Shipwreck rules. The other guys are alright, too. :)
Cross Border Gaming Podcast- http://crossbordergaming.com Discussing the latest games, busting Cheapy's chops, and hating on Jack White. (Blue Orchid sucks!)

Hblog- http://hbombgames.com
The Internet's newest home for gaming news, reviews, commentary, and community.

I am NOT on the glue!

#52 shafnitz

shafnitz

G100,000 - 5/16/2014!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 February 2010 - 11:29 PM

Good show. The sound wasn't as bad as I was anticipating after Cheapy's intro. :) Much better than the live show last week.
My only comment regarding the show itself: Wombat is smoking crack if he doesn't think Splinter Cell: Conviction will sell well.
Also, another site for finding cheap apps: AppShopper.com. You can create a wishlist and they'll email you when an app/game you want gets a price drop. You can also get RSS feeds for price drops or new stuff.

Shafnitz.png

#53 ianoid

ianoid

5me77i.us!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 February 2010 - 11:48 PM

Can't wait to listen. First off, did Cheapy film 22 Japanese guys moving their stuff like little elves? Did they look at you funny, like you should be carrying pianos because of your size?

Wish List:
Game Getter
Price Tracker
Price Watcher
Cheap List
Cheapest List
(pretty obvious suggestions)

That is such a great functionality, if you can expand it outside of video games, you could expand your audience. I'm sure you could create a website not called Cheapassgamer, but as an affiliate of CAG, that tracked DVD,BR,Books, etc at the main websites. I use the wishlist constantly. As much or more than the forums.

#54 oketz

oketz

Posted 19 February 2010 - 12:09 AM

hey, love the show.
I heard you guys talk about the Dante's Inferno ads. i thought you might get a kick out of this. I was watching a show called taboo on national geographic last night (the show deals with various "abnormal social behavior" that some would consider taboo). the topic of this episode was death and the ceremony surrounding it. At the very first commercial break a banner appears saying " the show is brought to you by Dante's Inferno, time to go to hell" followed by the now famous super bowl add.
eerie no???
keep pumping out these great shows. thx.

#55 Crash1390

Crash1390

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 February 2010 - 12:30 AM

Hey yall do a great and funny podcast. Just wondering if Wombat was eating some pop rocks through out the show, nah just kidding. Keep the good work

#56 knoxinabox

knoxinabox

Posted 19 February 2010 - 01:22 AM

Oh Wombat's audio quality was off? I thought he was just typing the whole damn episode.

regardless,
great show guys

#57 Gregalor

Gregalor

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 February 2010 - 01:33 AM

It just sounds like Wombat is fapping it in the background.

Damn, you beat me to it.

#58 newslowsad

newslowsad

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 February 2010 - 01:59 AM

Good to have the show back. Helped get me through a rough Thursday at work. Time to add games to my wish list for the contest.
Posted Image

#59 bickle

bickle

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 February 2010 - 03:19 AM

Games rip off other games all the time. God of War borrowed a LOT from Devil May Cry, everyone is fine with that. Where was it written that God of War is some sacred cow that can't be copied from?

If a game rips off another game, it has to do things as well as the original, if not better. If that is accomplished, everyone is pretty much cool with it. However, if a game rips off another game, but doesn't do it as well & doesn't add anything new, then it's just a derivative clone. I've only played the demo of Dante, but it seems to fall perfectly in the category of "derivative clone."

#60 Nebenator

Nebenator

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 February 2010 - 03:26 AM

If a game rips off another game, it has to do things as well as the original, if not better. If that is accomplished, everyone is pretty much cool with it. However, if a game rips off another game, but doesn't do it as well & doesn't add anything new, then it's just a derivative clone. I've only played the demo of Dante, but it seems to fall perfectly in the category of "derivative clone."

In addition to this, as Tycho of Penny Arcade suggested: how the game is received seems to affect if the game is categorized as a "derivative" or an "homage".