Photo
- - - - -

GS Trade-in Values: Old Thread, Check First/Last Post for new one.

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
2968 replies to this topic

#931 Kakkarrot23

Kakkarrot23

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 February 2010 - 04:43 PM

Does everyone really think they'll be doing the B2G1 shortly? If so, I'll just be patient and order my games then.

I am sure they will do one by Easter.

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=5464&pictureid=13642

#932 y2jasper

y2jasper

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 February 2010 - 04:44 PM

For all the hate that Gamestop gets, I have to say I had a great experience with customer service. The reason I had to have that experience though pissed me off to no end.

Back when the UMDs were first dropping to $5 my wife was checking them out at the Gamestop in the mall while I was looking at games. She picked up a few and then took them to the checkout. The employee was ringing her up and a few of them were rated "R" so she said my wife had to show ID. My wife doesn't drive or drink so unless she knows she's going to need her ID for something she just leaves it in the car since I always have mine. I show the employee my ID and she says "Oh no we can't do that because she might not be 18."

To keep a long story from getting a lot longer, we went back and forth for a few minutes. I asked her for her district manager's # and she gave me the wrong # that was for someone that had something to do with inventory according to their voicemail. So I called the 800 number the next day and the district manager called me back within the hour and apologized for the employee (he even described her once I told him what store) and kept trying to offer me a giftcard. I turned it down because I was so pleased with how they resolved the situation. I also never saw that employee there again.

Just keep a level head and don't get heated when you're explaining yourself and they'll more than likely side with you. Especially if you have the receipt.

well to be fair, it's pretty much mandatory to have to ask for ID for R or M rated material if a person looks 25 or younger. personally, in my time as a retail employee, i only ever bothered to enforce it when it was blatantly clear they weren't 21 (sorry 10 year old kids wanting to buy gta), but i knew that i could easily get in trouble for it. hell the computer even prompted the associate to ask for ID for anything R or M rated and we had to acknowledge that we asked before we could get to the payment screen.

although if they told you that you couldn't purchase them after you showed your ID, that's pretty stupid.

#933 Nikadimas

Nikadimas

Freelance Police

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 February 2010 - 04:48 PM

So you're happy an employee was terminated because your wife neglects to carry her license? Instead of making a big stink why did'nt your wife simply go out to the car and get her ID? Seems like kind of a "I'm the customer and therefore I'm always right" d-bag move on yours and your wifes part.

Because I didn't tell you the whole long drawn out story. The reason I couldn't go back to the car was because we started this fiasco at 9:25 and the mall closes at 9:30 we were parked about 10 minutes away from the store itself so you can do the math can't you? Plus, it's not against the law to sell R-rated to people under 17, it's only store policy. The fact that we're walking around with a two-year-old wearing wedding rings is a lot of trouble to go through just to be underage kids getting R-rated movies on dead technology is it not? I also offered to just buy the movies for myself and not involve my wife in the transaction at all but she wouldn't allow that either. Believe me, I spent 10 minutes trying to reason with this woman and she wouldn't budge. Even the district manager agreed with me that she was the one at fault in this situation.

#934 Nikadimas

Nikadimas

Freelance Police

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 February 2010 - 04:51 PM

although if they told you that you couldn't purchase them after you showed your ID, that's pretty stupid.

That's what I said. Believe me, being a kid that spent the majority of his free time at movie theaters I know how the ID policy works. It's not like I'm buying cigarettes for my wife which would carry legal consequences if she wasn't 18, this is media. I also forgot to mention I was over 25 at the time, the legal age required to be a person's guardian, and still she wouldn't budge. I can bring a minor into a bar with me at 25 but can't buy R-rated media? Give me a break.

#935 kurrptsenate

kurrptsenate

HAW-DOO-TEN!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 February 2010 - 04:59 PM

IDing is company policy, not store's. If someone sells an M rated title to a minor, and someone finds out, they are instantly canned. No exceptions.

I think it is a bit over the top to not sell those movies to someone who has ID, regardless of the reason they are buying it. I'm not sure it warranted termination of an employee. Thats a bit ridiculous

#936 Nikadimas

Nikadimas

Freelance Police

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 February 2010 - 05:01 PM

IDing is company policy, not store's. If someone sells an M rated title to a minor, and someone finds out, they are instantly canned. No exceptions.

I think it is a bit over the top to not sell those movies to someone who has ID, regardless of the reason they are buying it. I'm not sure it warranted termination of an employee. Thats a bit ridiculous

It wasn't that one situation that got her fired. Like I said the district manager immediately knew who I was talking about when I told him the store I was having a problem at. Safe to assume it wasn't the first time she got a little crazy.

P.S. - Store policy = Company policy. It's the same friggin' thing. My point was it is not state or federal policy.

#937 DJP519

DJP519

Ready for a Vacation

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 February 2010 - 05:07 PM

you should take io's class: flipping 101.

I consider myself a proud graduate of Professor io's flipping 101 class. I really should thank him for the hundreds and hundreds of dollars worth of "free" or very cheap credit I've used and built up over the past two years. Almost every game, and even a replacement console, that I've bought in the past year and a half have been purchased with that credit. So, thanks IO!!!

#938 YawnAmuroYawn

YawnAmuroYawn

What is real?

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 February 2010 - 05:12 PM

Just traded in:
base:

Xbox 360
mass effect 2 $30

Nintendo Wii
Guitar hero metallica $7.00
sonic and the secret rings $5.00
super mario galaxy $15.00

#939 Nikadimas

Nikadimas

Freelance Police

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 February 2010 - 05:14 PM

I consider myself a proud graduate of Professor io's flipping 101 class. I really should thank him for the hundreds and hundreds of dollars worth of "free" or very cheap credit I've used and built up over the past two years. Almost every game, and even a replacement console, that I've bought in the past year and a half have been purchased with that credit. So, thanks IO!!!

Definitely. Just about everything I own for my Wii, including the console itself, was gotten with credit from flipping. Thank god, cause after owning it for almost 2 years and getting about 10 hours of play out of it, I'd be pissed if I had spent all that money on it.

#940 kurrptsenate

kurrptsenate

HAW-DOO-TEN!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 February 2010 - 05:14 PM

=

P.S. - Store policy = Company policy. It's the same friggin' thing. My point was it is not state or federal policy.

P.S.S. No., it doesn't, as a DM can enact something in her region that applies to all stores in the region but would have no impact on stores outside of the region. It is possible to call corporate and override said rule enacted by a DM, but that would be an exception and wouldn't fully negate said rule :bouncy:

#941 plutoknight

plutoknight

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 February 2010 - 05:18 PM

Here's some base TIVs!

Gamecube:
Splinter Cell: Pandora Tomorrow: $.65 (yes, 65 cents)

PS3:
Dark Sector: $2.50
Resistance: $7
Soul Calibur IV: $8
AC/DC Rock Band Track Pack: $3.75
SOCOM: Confrontation (game only): $5

I got hit with ~4 bucks in Refurb fees, after inquiring with the manager (since the chick ringing me up was obviously brand new) about why, he pointed out the bad condition of two o the cases (sticker residue, etc.) and one game which was marked NOT FOR RESALE got marked too..anyway. I felt bad for the girl, so I decided not to raise a ruckus.

Walked out with ~40 bucks in credit after promo and Edge.

Now....to order Heavy Rain online..or go pick it up in Store..or just not buy it at all and use the credit for FF13...

#942 Jackie Chandler

Jackie Chandler

Jamanandayo!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 February 2010 - 05:20 PM

That's what I said. Believe me, being a kid that spent the majority of his free time at movie theaters I know how the ID policy works. It's not like I'm buying cigarettes for my wife which would carry legal consequences if she wasn't 18, this is media. I also forgot to mention I was over 25 at the time, the legal age required to be a person's guardian, and still she wouldn't budge. I can bring a minor into a bar with me at 25 but can't buy R-rated media? Give me a break.

This. It's not like he was buying the movie for some 12 year old, guys- it was his WIFE. Besides, it's not like it'd be illegal for her to WATCH an R rated movie even IF she were under 18- she just couldn't buy them. It should have been fine for him to buy them for her.

And it sucks for the employee, yeah- but he probably did the same thing with M rated games and soccer moms. If he got fired, it was because he didn't have his facts down straight about the policies and was turning down sales.

#943 y2jasper

y2jasper

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 February 2010 - 05:20 PM

yeah, basically since late last summer, every game related purchase i've made has been done with store credit, except for recently paying the $5 shipping for RF:G for the darksiders promo. everything else store credit.

and nikadimas, in that case, that associate was in the wrong. like you said there is no way she could have stopped you from buying the movies. probably a cranky associate who wanted to close for the night already lol

#944 Kendro

Kendro

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 February 2010 - 05:21 PM

Here's some base TIVs!

Gamecube:
Splinter Cell: Pandora Tomorrow: $.65 (yes, 65 cents)

PS3:
Dark Sector: $2.50
Resistance: $7
Soul Calibur IV: $8
AC/DC Rock Band Track Pack: $3.75
SOCOM: Confrontation (game only): $5

I got hit with ~4 bucks in Refurb fees, after inquiring with the manager (since the chick ringing me up was obviously brand new) about why, he pointed out the bad condition of two o the cases (sticker residue, etc.) and one game which was marked NOT FOR RESALE got marked too..anyway. I felt bad for the girl, so I decided not to raise a ruckus.

Walked out with ~40 bucks in credit after promo and Edge.

Now....to order Heavy Rain online..or go pick it up in Store..or just not buy it at all and use the credit for FF13...

Considering GameStop accepts games with no case at full value, I am perplexed as to why they would charge a refurb fee for a case.

#945 MSUHitman

MSUHitman

Checkmate Arcade Co-Host

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 February 2010 - 05:21 PM

Because I didn't tell you the whole long drawn out story. The reason I couldn't go back to the car was because we started this fiasco at 9:25 and the mall closes at 9:30 we were parked about 10 minutes away from the store itself so you can do the math can't you? Plus, it's not against the law to sell R-rated to people under 17, it's only store policy. The fact that we're walking around with a two-year-old wearing wedding rings is a lot of trouble to go through just to be underage kids getting R-rated movies on dead technology is it not? I also offered to just buy the movies for myself and not involve my wife in the transaction at all but she wouldn't allow that either. Believe me, I spent 10 minutes trying to reason with this woman and she wouldn't budge. Even the district manager agreed with me that she was the one at fault in this situation.

She was just being overprotective because they can be fired on the spot for not checking ID on M/R rated purchases. The store I frequent (which I work next to) will force grandparents to get ID out on "big" titles like CoD or Halo because there will be a mandate from corporate. Other times it's just, "you're ok buying a product rated M/R for x?"

When you had your ID and wanted to buy the movies, that's where the situation should have ended though so yeah she did go too far. Just wanted to let you know why she was being so anal.

Edit: I see kurruptsenate got ahead of me but just to stress again you're right that she went too far, but there is a clear and present danger for any Gamestop employee who would sell something rated R/M without checking ID because "they looked old enough." Once you presented your ID, the purchase should have gone through.

Also if this is an issue for you, beware of buying M/R rated stuff at Target. The checkouts require the ID to be SCANNED at the register on ANYONE regardless of age. If you refuse, good luck getting a manager to manually input your birth of date to override the prompt (only managers can do it.)

Listen to the Checkmate Arcade video game podcast! Also available on ITunes, Stitcher Radio, or YouTube.
42869.png

#946 plutoknight

plutoknight

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 February 2010 - 05:25 PM

Considering GameStop accepts games with no case at full value, I am perplexed as to why they would charge a refurb fee for a case.

I am as well, but I wasn't about to get into an argument with the manager over $4 bucks. Call me a bad CAG, but, I'll just never trade games to that particular store again (it was my first time at this store).

Come to think of it, though, I got hit with a refurb fee on Soul Calibur IV, which was complete. I wish I had noticed that before I left the store or signed my name....there's no reason that should have been given a refurb fee. None at all.

#947 Nikadimas

Nikadimas

Freelance Police

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 February 2010 - 05:27 PM

P.S.S. No., it doesn't, as a DM can enact something in her region that applies to all stores in the region but would have no impact on stores outside of the region. It is possible to call corporate and override said rule enacted by a DM, but that would be an exception and wouldn't fully negate said rule :bouncy:

Yeah, you're reading way too into it. Most stores you go into will have store policies posted somewhere and, if they are corporations, will apply to all stores just like it. Unless said rules are enacted by individual states, like GS fingerprinting some traders, they don't change. A policy a DM enacted would be something posted to wall printed on copy paper at looks like they just printed out in the back, but I have yet to see one of those. The types of rules passed by DMs usually only apply to individuals who have been flagged and are for certain situations.

In general, when someone states something is store policy, they mean corporate policy. Go ahead and call a GS and ask them what their store policy is on IDs. They're not going to correct you and tell you it's corporate policy. Every corporate policy IS a store policy, just not the other way around.

Normally I would pay no mind to corrections like that but your bouncy face at the end kind of pissed me off. ;)

#948 GLOCKGLOCK

GLOCKGLOCK

Too many games...

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 February 2010 - 05:27 PM

Yea, those refurb fees sound suspect, probably because the girl you got was new. I'd say if you took the same games into another GS/EB odds are you wouldn't have been charged any fees. The refurb fees are at the discretion of the employee and a new employee was probably trying to show her boss that she was doing her job.

As for me every case I ever trade into GS/EB is usually old rental cases from HWV, BBV or GS/EB cases. Someone in this thread said a long time ago to "give GS/EB back their crappy stickered cases" and that is how I roll now.

Hail to Pitt!

#949 Zann

Zann

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 February 2010 - 05:28 PM

Got some TIVs (Base Value):

Killzone (PS2) $4.25
Burnout (GCN) $1.50
Simpsons Hit & Run (GCN) $4.00
Guilty Gear Isuka (PS2) $0.70

Edited by Zann, 24 February 2010 - 10:55 PM.

#950 elessar123

elessar123

96.5% more WUB WUB

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 February 2010 - 05:28 PM

Gutted my copy of Tekken 6 and Section 8 (that I've had for months for trade here but no one wanted), traded in CC:RA3 and Bad Company which I got off Goozex for the previous promo, for a total of $71.xx. I'll post the values when I get home, because I don't have my receipt.

Funny thing is, I made money on Section 8 since I picked it up for $15 many months ago at Target, and it gave me almost $20 in credit.

elessar123.png

#951 Nikadimas

Nikadimas

Freelance Police

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 February 2010 - 05:33 PM

Seriously, considering most of the stickered, broken, gross cases I get are from GS anyway.

Yea, those refurb fees sound suspect, probably because the girl you got was new. I'd say if you took the same games into another GS/EB odds are you wouldn't have been charged any fees. The refurb fees are at the discretion of the employee and a new employee was probably trying to show her boss that she was doing her job.

As for me every case I ever trade into GS/EB is usually old rental cases from HWV, BBV or GS/EB cases. Someone in this thread said a long time ago to "give GS/EB back their crappy stickered cases" and that is how I roll now.

Yeah that "Not for Resale" tag is so you can't sell the product as a new retail item. Since it's going to be sold as used (they even put a new barcode over it because it's a different product) there shouldn't have been a refurb fee.

#952 kurrptsenate

kurrptsenate

HAW-DOO-TEN!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 February 2010 - 05:35 PM

Yeah, you're reading way too into it. Most stores you go into will have store policies posted somewhere and, if they are corporations, will apply to all stores just like it. Unless said rules are enacted by individual states, like GS fingerprinting some traders, they don't change. A policy a DM enacted would be something posted to wall printed on copy paper at looks like they just printed out in the back, but I have yet to see one of those. The types of rules passed by DMs usually only apply to individuals who have been flagged and are for certain situations.

In general, when someone states something is store policy, they generally mean corporate policy. Go ahead and call a GS and ask them what their store policy is on IDs. They're not going to correct you and tell you it's corporate policy. Every corporate policy IS a store policy, just not the other way around.

Normally I would pay no mind to corrections like that but your bouncy face at the end kind of pissed me off. ;)

well, to counter yet another one of your posts, it is corporate policy to not accept returns of opened, new games. My local store will, as well as allow you to return used games after the 7 day return policy and not make you get the same game, which is company policy. This store exercises a policy enacted by the DM which goes along the lines of "no bad customer feedback", which is similar to the customer is always right. These same rules are especially prevalent around Christmas in which they break company policy but ok'd by the DM.

#953 plutoknight

plutoknight

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 February 2010 - 05:39 PM

Seriously, considering most of the stickered, broken, gross cases I get are from GS anyway.
Yeah that "Not for Resale" tag is so you can't sell the product as a new retail item. Since it's going to be sold as used (they even put a new barcode over it because it's a different product) there shouldn't have been a refurb fee.

Yeah. Well, lesson learned. I'm not going to drive back to Gamestop argue about it, but next time I do trade stuff into Gamestop, should that time ever occur, I'll be sure to question as to why.

You'd think as much as I read this thread I'd have been a bit more careful, hah.

#954 joker______

joker______

Careful...Icarus

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 February 2010 - 05:43 PM

i just got back from GS & here is my trade ins base/after promo

XBOX360:
Assassin's Creed - $5.75/8.63

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 - $23
/34.50
Command & Conquer Red Alert 3 - $5.00/7.50

Dragon Age: Origins - $21.25/31.87

GTA IV - $4/6.00

Hitman : Blood Money - $6.75
/10.13
Ninja Gaiden 2 - $6.25
/9.37

PS3
GRID - $9
/13.50
Kane & Lynch $6/9

grand total=$130.50

Posted Image

#955 randomevent

randomevent

Mr. Pigface

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 February 2010 - 05:46 PM

well, to counter yet another one of your posts, it is corporate policy to not accept returns of opened, new games. My local store will, as well as allow you to return used games after the 7 day return policy and not make you get the same game, which is company policy. This store exercises a policy enacted by the DM which goes along the lines of "no bad customer feedback", which is similar to the customer is always right. These same rules are especially prevalent around Christmas in which they break company policy but ok'd by the DM.

Rather than that being a policy within your district, isn't this just an example that entirely depends on a case-by-case basis? Or is it literally EVERY SINGLE person who returns a game can enjoy this privilege?

The only reason I'm curious is because when I worked in gaming retail, it was always the case that there was "Company Policy," then there was "Case-By-Case Incidents" in which policy could be circumvented for customer satisfaction.

#956 Anhmeister

Anhmeister

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 February 2010 - 05:55 PM

Insanely happy that the TIVs held their places overnight. TE stick here I come.

#957 UberSwiss

UberSwiss

Cheap Suits?

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 February 2010 - 05:57 PM

She was just being overprotective because they can be fired on the spot for not checking ID on M/R rated purchases. The store I frequent (which I work next to) will force grandparents to get ID out on "big" titles like CoD or Halo because there will be a mandate from corporate. Other times it's just, "you're ok buying a product rated M/R for x?"

When you had your ID and wanted to buy the movies, that's where the situation should have ended though so yeah she did go too far. Just wanted to let you know why she was being so anal.

Edit: I see kurruptsenate got ahead of me but just to stress again you're right that she went too far, but there is a clear and present danger for any Gamestop employee who would sell something rated R/M without checking ID because "they looked old enough." Once you presented your ID, the purchase should have gone through.

Also if this is an issue for you, beware of buying M/R rated stuff at Target. The checkouts require the ID to be SCANNED at the register on ANYONE regardless of age. If you refuse, good luck getting a manager to manually input your birth of date to override the prompt (only managers can do it.)

I work at Target and can say only medicine and most rated M games prompt us to scan an ID. It's really frustrating because half the IDs will not scan. It's a terrible policy on Target's part. Because I've had to wait for a manager to override it, many sales have turned sour. Plus, it's always awkward when you ask to ask a person 50+ for their ID.
Currently Playing:
:360: Halo 4/NBA 2k13
:ps3: Assassins Creed 3

Posted Image

#958 pharmacrest

pharmacrest

#poppinpills

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 February 2010 - 06:09 PM

Hey guys, not to say you are in the wrong, but did you ever stop to think that by trading in more games with crappy cases that you are hurting yourself and other gamers that may want said game in the future? I completely understand about the idiotic stickers they place on the cases, but at least they can be peeled off 9 times out of 10. The real problem is that Gamestop accepts anything other than complete games/cases/manuals. I cant believe how badly people take care of their stuff.

I was ready to buy a Madagascar game used for my daughter and decided against it because the case looked like it went through the car wash and the manual was no where to be found.

Sorry for the off topic post and again, not saying anyone is wrong here, just another viewpoint to think about.

EDIT: I still get a chuckle when I read about people trading to Amazon and getting pissed when they wont accept their used games that are missing items or scratched all to hell. I applaud Amazon for only taking in quality.

Tyler hates me. 

Wrencrest.png

#959 Tsukento

Tsukento

King of Pirates

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 February 2010 - 06:18 PM

Yeah, ditto especially on the "NOT FOR RESALE" one. I've seen GameStops that keep stickers from other locations with cheaper prices on the covers (while having a GS label slapped on) and even saw a used Perfect Dark Zero that had a gigantic sticker from Microsoft slapped on it (something involving it not being for resale due to it having been a copy given out to retail employees participating in some program of MS').

Sometimes I think some employees slap on refurb fees for the sake of making sure you don't get a whole lot of trade in credit.

#960 kurrptsenate

kurrptsenate

HAW-DOO-TEN!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 February 2010 - 06:21 PM

as long as the game is in good shape, i really don't see a problem with it. as long as it has some type of housing that will keep it from getting scratches, thats good enough for me. Obviously I would prefer a complete game, but the book is usually looked at once, and thats it