Super Mario Galaxy 2 - New Trailer! - Out now

• Please log in to reply
327 replies to this topic

#301 jterp7

jterp7

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 June 2010 - 02:58 AM

That was the first star that made the cosmo guide show up for me lol. There never was any lvl quite like that one where you got to play with that power up so it was weird getting used to it. It made me initially hate it, but love it afterwards, it was a nice challenge and still fun to play.

Keep that place in mind its a good place to grind starbits if you need em.

hah same here..still love that level though

2nd time the cosmo guide showed up was for the
Spoiler
I tried doing it without the life powerup for the longest time, then gave in and bought it. Not surprisingly it made it much easier.

#302 wampa8jedi

wampa8jedi

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 June 2010 - 05:24 AM

Got to 241 today... damn that final star!

#303 Law_Professor

Law_Professor

DePaul Basketball Fanatic

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 June 2010 - 05:02 PM

That was the first star that made the cosmo guide show up for me lol. There never was any lvl quite like that one where you got to play with that power up so it was weird getting used to it. It made me initially hate it, but love it afterwards, it was a nice challenge and still fun to play.

Keep that place in mind its a good place to grind starbits if you need em.

For sure! Now it's a lot of fun. I used this level yesterday to get up to 1800 stars to open up a level in World 6.

2049665603_6b12a80682_t.jpg
My doggie Alaska, 10/12/00-08/04/13

#304 Chitown021

Chitown021

Blackhawks headed to the finals!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 June 2010 - 11:47 PM

Star 242, you are a real Fuck!

Spoiler

[URL="https://www.playfire.com/Chitown021"]Posted Image[/URL]PSN Gamercards

#305 F-Zero

F-Zero

Show me your moves!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 June 2010 - 12:23 AM

hah same here..still love that level though

2nd time the cosmo guide showed up was for the

Spoiler
I tried doing it without the life powerup for the longest time, then gave in and bought it. Not surprisingly it made it much easier.

That one was probably the hardest yeah,
Spoiler

#306 Sir_Fragalot

Sir_Fragalot

wants Startropics 3.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 June 2010 - 03:42 AM

I have one major problem with this game. I can't get a close up shot camera like Super Mario 64. I am at this fucking star where I got to jump on heads for pts, and I keep missing the heads because my shadow is so hard to see far away and in water.

Otherwise I love the game, upto star 91 now.
Posted Image
"Mega Man 9 isn't hard, you're just not paying attention." -KingBroly

#307 SpazX

SpazX

13 Billion Years in the Making

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 June 2010 - 12:42 AM

I agree the chimp jumping stars are a bitch because of lining up properly.

I decided I would actually go for the 120 this time (dunno about 242...), and I'm at 117 now. Just a few comet S levels left and I foresee a lot of cursing.

Posted Image

#308 Chitown021

Chitown021

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 June 2010 - 03:00 AM

I still can't get that stupid star# 242. that final stage just keeps kicking my ass! I almost always die on section four.

#309 crunchewy

crunchewy

Posted 25 June 2010 - 02:17 PM

You folks are all just a tad further along then me. I think I'm up to a star total of 17. :) I am loving every minute of it so far, and the second player is way more fun in this game. My kids and I like helping each other out, and that 2nd player does make the game a lot easier. If you're stuck on some star, maybe recruit a helper?
Posted Image

#310 Corvin

Corvin

...of Gilead

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 June 2010 - 04:06 PM

What's different about player 2 this time around?

#311 Chitown021

Chitown021

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 June 2010 - 03:45 PM

I have one major problem with this game. I can't get a close up shot camera like Super Mario 64. I am at this fucking star where I got to jump on heads for pts, and I keep missing the heads because my shadow is so hard to see far away and in water.

Otherwise I love the game, upto star 91 now.

Yeah that's my biggest complaint with the game. Not being able to customize your view makes the chimp stomp stars hard to get and in the "second quest" it makes getting some of the green stars hard because it's difficult to judge your jumps.

#312 SpazX

SpazX

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 June 2010 - 03:54 PM

What's different about player 2 this time around?

In the first one you basically just collected/shot star bits right? Maybe you could annoy enemies or something. In this one you do that and have a luma character that can grabs coins and shit to hold on to and give to P1 when they need it. I haven't actually played it, but it seems a lot more helpful.

Posted Image

#313 rly723

rly723

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 June 2010 - 05:40 PM

I've been playing this game for several weeks now. Fun, typical mario. The level design is very creative, on a couple levels the camera angles were a bit awkward. I'm in my 20s and i'd say this game is semi diffcult i can imagine 8-10 yr old it would be difficult even more especially since it marketed to kid gamers too

#314 SpazX

SpazX

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 June 2010 - 11:34 PM

Got 120, kept going. Finished the green stars in World 1, so now I'm at 138. I might actually go for 242.

Posted Image

#315 Gden

Gden

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 June 2010 - 12:10 AM

Got 120, kept going. Finished the green stars in World 1, so now I'm at 138. I might actually go for 242.

Forewarning SpazX, #242 is obnoxiously hard.
I'm not changing my signature until Busou Renkin, and Trizenon get licensed.
FC: Pokemon Pearl - 1160-6253-4611
Posted Image

#316 Chitown021

Chitown021

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 June 2010 - 03:09 AM

Forewarning SpazX, #242 is obnoxiously hard.

yes, yes it is! I am still trying to get that bastard!

#317 soonersfan60

soonersfan60

Longing for retro CAG...

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 June 2010 - 03:45 AM

It helps alot to have a second player...

#318 yeah-yeah

yeah-yeah

Posted 03 July 2010 - 06:48 PM

I just finished star 242 - it felt like giving birth. I thought I might never get it.

Quick tip:
Spoiler

#319 Chitown021

Chitown021

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 July 2010 - 09:00 PM

I just finished star 242 - it felt like giving birth. I thought I might never get it.

Quick tip:

Spoiler

I was wondering about that.
Spoiler

#320 KingBroly

KingBroly

CAG Club Nintendo

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 July 2010 - 09:47 PM

Quick tip:

Spoiler

Spoiler

You can also get to the final part with Yoshi, but it requires some INSANE sequence breaking.
Completed Games: 2011 | 2012
CAG Club Nintendo Thread
Posted Image

#321 yeah-yeah

yeah-yeah

Posted 03 July 2010 - 10:32 PM

I was wondering about that.

Spoiler

Here's a cloud preservation tip:
Spoiler

I can only get Yoshi to the fan stage. Having him against the hammer brothers would be sweet.

#322 Chitown021

Chitown021

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 July 2010 - 01:27 AM

Spoiler

You can also get to the final part with Yoshi, but it requires some INSANE sequence breaking.

seriously you can do that? I don't see how you'd get him through the fan stage.

#323 yeah-yeah

yeah-yeah

Posted 04 July 2010 - 01:50 AM

seriously you can do that? I don't see how you'd get him through the fan stage.

It would appear that you can:

#324 Chitown021

Chitown021

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 July 2010 - 04:23 AM

It would appear that you can:

that video is nuts! that would be how you do it. I've never tried that unlimited flutter trick.

#325 ChibiJosh

ChibiJosh

Posted 24 July 2010 - 04:38 AM

I'm up to 241 stars now and ugh...
Posted Image
Games Completed '08 (32) - '09 (43) - '10 (48) - '11 (43) -'12 (15)
PS3 Trophy card:
Spoiler

#326 KingBroly

KingBroly

CAG Club Nintendo

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 July 2010 - 05:27 AM

For the final part
Spoiler
. But I wouldn't recommend it.
Completed Games: 2011 | 2012
CAG Club Nintendo Thread
Posted Image

#327 yeah-yeah

yeah-yeah

Posted 24 July 2010 - 07:10 AM

For the final part

Spoiler
. But I wouldn't recommend it.

I disagree.
Spoiler

#328 kodave

kodave

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 January 2011 - 08:45 AM

I just played this over the past week or so and got star 242 tonight after losing like 7 million lives.

Those Green Stars were pointless and didn't add any enjoyment to the game to me. It was just forcing me to watch cut scenes again and play through small parts of each level over and over and over. Ugh. Seems like a lazy way to draw out the length of the game. I loved just exploring the levels in Super Mario 64 and it would have been fun to have hidden stars or something there, but this Green Star crap is lame in Super Mario Galaxy 2.

While I'm at it, the level design was particularly lazy in the last few worlds (not all of the levels, but a lot). Its like the designers ran out of good ideas.

Furthermore, I'm f-ing sick of Star Bits. Having to bank 9,999 was lame. This goes hand in hand with the motion controls. While I don't mind the waggle for Spin Jumps and other things, the actions the waggling cause negate the need to use other moves. I think 90% of all tough to reach spots can be accomplished by Backflip + Spin. I think I used the Triple Jump all of once this game and that was to get one Green Star. I suppose the Triple Jump doesn't lend itself to these small 'planets' within each level. I wish we could go back to a regular controller instead of the Remote/Nunchuck combo. New Super Mario Bros. Wii's waggle was pretty well done. If I could just hold a regular controller (i.e. Classic Controller) and do that waggle for some things some of the time, I think that would be a good compromise.

This game is a very natural extension of the first Galaxy game (only somehow the camera was pretty bad in this game compared to the first). I think it was just a matter of "Hey, we have some more ideas and more things we can do with this Galaxy stuff that we didn't put in the first game (for whatever reason)." So they made the sequel, then filled it with some less-than-good level design in the latter half, then dragged it out even more with the Green Star crap. They should have just played the "Complete the game again with Luigi" card from the first SMG instead of doing the Green Stars.

I'd advise most people to just get the 120 Stars and call it a day.