CAGcast #189: DRM Free!

• Please log in to reply
114 replies to this topic

#1 CheapyD

CheapyD

Head Cheap Ass

• Administrators

Posted 25 February 2010 - 06:26 AM

EA's Project Ten Dollar and Ubisoft's new DRM are discussed, as are your questions and comments from the CAGbag and Twitter and oh so much more!

Download - 112 minutes, 49MB
Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

Subscribe in iTunes - Review us on iTunes

Support the CAGcast with these GoDaddy coupon codes:
10% off any order = CAG10
$5 off $30 = CAG5OFF30
$6.95 domain = CAGDOMAIN

and a free Netfix trial!

Show Linkage/Notes (click the button below to expand):

Edited by CheapyD, 25 February 2010 - 06:47 AM.
fixed mp3 link

#2 godhatesfakes

godhatesfakes

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 February 2010 - 06:44 AM

Hey guys, the link is messed. The link ends with cagcastmp3 instead of cagcast.mp3. The file is still there, I just had to manually add the period. Just thought you should know.

#3 CheapyD

CheapyD

Head Cheap Ass

• Administrators

Posted 25 February 2010 - 06:48 AM

thanks...fixed!

#4 ch3zyp00fs

ch3zyp00fs

CAGcast Groupie.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 February 2010 - 07:21 AM

Awesome! Work will go by a lil quicker.
Use the Swagbucks Google Search Engine and Win Prizes with me! Click the banner and lets get points and FREE SWAG!

Posted Image

#5 whywakeup

whywakeup

The Chief .

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 February 2010 - 07:26 AM

I always love the kid talk . I swear my sons favorite word is no . There will be sh1t bursting out of his diaper smelling like some sort of chemical warfare weapon and he will look up at me and say no poo .

Have any of you ever went to check a diaper and stuck your finger in poo ? Its not very pleasant to say the least . I'm going to invent a baby poo dip stick so that it never happens again .

Great show as always and please more kid poo vomit stories .
Posted Image

#6 TheJerseyKush

TheJerseyKush

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 February 2010 - 07:42 AM

lol, these casts are golden, thanks for the kind words 0.0

#7 mrangrypants

mrangrypants

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 February 2010 - 07:58 AM

Hmm, new CAG cast or read about Southeast Asia....
Gordon's alive?!?!?

#8 KingBroly

KingBroly

CAG Club Nintendo

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 February 2010 - 08:14 AM

Wombat, there is a flaw in your solution for Cheapy for Mass Effect 2. If Cheapy loads up the game when Mrs. Cheapy is there and Cheapy has already gone forward, she will see the save file he has made. Thus Cheapy will be hung out to dry. Although, that may be your secret motive, but whatever.

I'm surprised it wasn't mentioned that Dragon Quest 9 is being published by Nintendo here, because that's actually a major surprise. But at least you guys actually put 2 minutes into Nintendo news this show, which is 2 more minutes that you've put into Nintendo over the last 5 shows combined.

I'd also like to know how you guys completely ignore Pokemon in the NPD rankings discussion? It might come out after Final Fantasy, but the series has always sold a ton of copies, and these are releasing earlier in the month and have a peripheral included. You know how Nintendo games with peripherals do.

It was an okay show, but I think Wombat being a dick is good for keeping the show fresh.

Edited by KingBroly, 25 February 2010 - 08:30 AM.

Completed Games: 2011 | 2012
CAG Club Nintendo Thread
Posted Image

#9 hectorlaparka

hectorlaparka

Posted 25 February 2010 - 10:55 AM

Fried chicken and shout outs. Can't beat that.

#10 SINNED

SINNED

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 February 2010 - 11:03 AM

Awesome.

#11 Exton

Exton

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 February 2010 - 11:12 AM

Another great show guys, I took a break from Heavy Rain to listen to this new CAGcast.

Thing is I stopped just around the part where Shipwreck quoted "Take these pain pills. They'll help with the pain." line. I couldn't help but to actually lol.

#12 Sgt Barone

Sgt Barone

Posted 25 February 2010 - 11:29 AM

awesome! can't wait to hear!

Here's to a great year of gaming in 2014   :beer:

#13 Metalsocks

Metalsocks

Posted 25 February 2010 - 01:42 PM

Great tomorrow I'm going to be walking around with POLE POSITIOOOON! stuck in my head.

#14 LiK

LiK

Internet Superstar

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 February 2010 - 02:17 PM

That intro was fucking amazing. 80's cartoons ftw!

Btw Shippy, don't ever do a Wombat impression again, EVER. Terrible... LoL

Sterling show boys.
63362.png
Blog | Twitter
"You lazy f*ck!" - Artie Lange to CheapyD on 8/31/09

#15 trip1eX

trip1eX

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 February 2010 - 02:59 PM

Wombat for the DRM argument win. WoW does the same thing and has millions of games. And you aren't going to be playing the game in 10 years.

What Pc gamers should be upset about are all the console ports. That's the worst kind of DRM. It prevents me from giving a sht about pcgaming anymore.

Edited by trip1eX, 25 February 2010 - 03:33 PM.

#16 Nobi-Wan

Nobi-Wan

Knifey-Spoony Champion

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 February 2010 - 04:26 PM

Yeah I made that same comment on Kotaku about WoW needing a constant internet connection. I don't see what the difference is.

#17 Wombat

Wombat

CAGcast or nothin

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 February 2010 - 05:00 PM

I'd also like to know how you guys completely ignore Pokemon in the NPD rankings discussion? It might come out after Final Fantasy, but the series has always sold a ton of copies, and these are releasing earlier in the month and have a peripheral included. You know how Nintendo games with peripherals do.

It was an okay show, but I think Wombat being a dick is good for keeping the show fresh.

We were responding to a specific question about the 5 games we discussed. If Nick had asked us about Pokemon it would have been on the list. Don't be so quick to be angry and try listening, :)

#18 Astinus Majere

Astinus Majere

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 February 2010 - 05:13 PM

The problem I have with the Ubisoft DRM is that I'm a member of the US Navy, and I spend about half of my year living on a ship where I have no internet connection available. One of my only releases during my time underway is pulling out my laptop and playing PC games, and this is just making it harder on me.
Posted Image

#19 super_nerd

super_nerd

Posted 25 February 2010 - 05:16 PM

WoW is a MMORPG, as in you are playing with other people, you are connecting to a server to play like any other multiplayer game. AC2 is a single player experience (playing locally on your PC), so there is a big difference. If this system was implemented on consoles, there would be an equal amount of outspoken people. What would be more annoying than to lose progress in your game just because you lost connection? It would annoy me greatly, though I don't know how much it would bother others.

Some people act like piracy is a problem exclusive to the PC or that it happens more frequently on the PC but that just isn't true. I was planning on buying AC2 but now I won't...at least until steam puts it on sale. And wombat is right about people who pirate. DRM isn't an excuse to pirate but DRM also won't stop pirating so I really don't see the point of it in the first place. I would just focus on making a quality game and providing quality service to the users.

#20 Z_meista

Z_meista

The Paragon

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 February 2010 - 05:16 PM

Wow, first five minutes and there's already poop talk! :applause:

Cheapy and Wombat, try not to ask questions that can be answered with a "yes" or "no" and maybe you'll get a better response from your kids. MAYBE...

#21 Achuba Nanoia

Achuba Nanoia

Tropical arctic fox

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 February 2010 - 05:34 PM

Great show. I have to say, Wombat had some great things to say in this show, especially his stance about the Ubisoft DRM policy. Shame on Cheapy and Ship for cutting his speech so much in the show. Also, I gotta say the funniest part of the show was name´s read at the end. I just wish you said what exactly did they do.
The most difficult game of all is life: 1up, no pause, no save-feature, no strategy guide. Just pray you can get someone to play co-op.

#22 sheppyboy2000

sheppyboy2000

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 February 2010 - 06:24 PM

Gonna have to agree with Wombat about this one for a simple reason. People, while bitching about how mean Ubisoft is, forgot about this.

http://www.gamepolit...persia-what039s

It wasn't just Prince of Persia though, every game they dropped for three full months were DRM free as a test to see if consumers would support such efforts. So how did it fair? Over 5 million torrent downloads and less than 200K sold across retail and Steam for the first full year.

So everyone thinking Ubisoft is being unreasonable? Screw you. When they TRUSTED the PC users, they received the single highest pirated game they ever released. If PC gamers want games, they NEED to quit stealing them because, as Shipwreck said, when this doesn't work, support for the platform dies. No ifs,ands,or buts. This is their line in the sand, if it's compromised... well let's just say you've lost yet another developer pulling support for the much more profitable PS360 sales. Want to keep your industry intact, how about you actually start BUYING the games.

#23 usickenme

usickenme

I'm the a-hole

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 February 2010 - 06:25 PM

Don't be so quick to be angry and try listening, :)

Ironic post of the day

If PC gamers want games, they NEED to quit stealing them because, as Shipwreck said, when this doesn't work, support for the platform dies. .

Of course you (and Ubisoft) are assuming that all PC gamers are stealing games. Granted they may have to think that way to still make PC games but it is pretty lousy.

AS2 is really bad because it requires a CONSTANT connection. You lose connection you lost the game. It's dumb. Even in a fully broadband capable house, the internet connection can and does get lost for a multitude of reasons. And if you think Ubi is not looking at this for console games as well, you are kidding yourself.

And let's be honest. The what the people who are okay with this are saying is "I don't play PC games, it doesn't affect me so Fuck all of you who do"

Edited by usickenme, 25 February 2010 - 06:46 PM.

#24 Curufinwe

Curufinwe

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 February 2010 - 07:07 PM

WoW is a MMORPG, as in you are playing with other people, you are connecting to a server to play like any other multiplayer game. AC2 is a single player experience (playing locally on your PC), so there is a big difference. If this system was implemented on consoles, there would be an equal amount of outspoken people. What would be more annoying than to lose progress in your game just because you lost connection? It would annoy me greatly, though I don't know how much it would bother others.

I'm sure Cheapy and Wombat would both be foaming at the mouth in anger if they were forced to lose big chunks of progress in single-player 360 games just because their internet connection dropped for a second.

Gonna have to agree with Wombat about this one for a simple reason. People, while bitching about how mean Ubisoft is, forgot about this.

That article gives a great example of why PC gamers can't count on a DRM system that relies on Ubisoft always having its servers running properly.

So everyone thinking Ubisoft is being unreasonable? Screw you. When they TRUSTED the PC users, they received the single highest pirated game they ever released. If PC gamers want games, they NEED to quit stealing them because, as Shipwreck said, when this doesn't work, support for the platform dies. No ifs,ands,or buts. This is their line in the sand, if it's compromised... well let's just say you've lost yet another developer pulling support for the much more profitable PS360 sales. Want to keep your industry intact, how about you actually start BUYING the games.

Who the Fuck do you think you're talking to? No one in this thread is supporting or condoning game piracy, and I have never pirated a PC game in my life. Ubisoft ARE being unreasonable because their DRM will only hurt paying customers. Pirates will download the cracked version and be able to play without having to maintain an uninterrupted internet connection.

Curufinwe5503.png? Curufinwe.jpg

#25 lebkin

lebkin

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 February 2010 - 07:37 PM

I disagree with Wombat on DRM for one single reason:

DRM only hurts legitimate customers.

It's that simple. Pirates are not affected by DRM in the least. They crack it and get a perfectly functional game. The legitimate customer, who paid $60 bucks for AC2 and needs no punishment, gets hassled and frustrated instead.

And believe it or not, I do play PC games that are 10 years old. I even play PC games that are 20 years old. The longevity of a game is important to me. DRM like in AC2 means that game is worth significantly less, since it is simply a glorified long-term rental.

#26 Chrisness

Chrisness

Posted 25 February 2010 - 07:38 PM

I'm calling it now: Final Fantasy on PS3 sells the most.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
I play Halo 3, Rainbow Six, SSBB, Carcassonne, Worms, others online. PM me to play SSBB, send friend request to play Xbox Live.

#27 DarkNessBear

DarkNessBear

Posted 25 February 2010 - 07:47 PM

I disagree with Wombat on DRM for one single reason:

DRM only hurts legitimate customers.

It's that simple. Pirates are not affected by DRM in the least. They crack it and get a perfectly functional game. The legitimate customer, who paid $60 bucks for AC2 and needs no punishment, gets hassled and frustrated instead.

And believe it or not, I do play PC games that are 10 years old. I even play PC games that are 20 years old. The longevity of a game is important to me. DRM like in AC2 means that game is worth significantly less, since it is simply a glorified long-term rental.

Do you fault them for trying? AS of now we don't know if pirates COULD get past this sort of problem (I'm sure they will, but it may make it harder for folks to Download and run). And like Wombat said, if this DRM solution does not work - then they wont make their games for PC anymore. Do you prefer that?

It blows my mind that people are so against this - it's like those people that get mad at airport security because it takes a HELL of a long time to get on the plane. It is needed! Yea you are hurting the common folk, but atleast you are trying to prevent any problems.

It wasn't just Prince of Persia though, every game they dropped for three full months were DRM free as a test to see if consumers would support such efforts. So how did it fair? Over 5 million torrent downloads and less than 200K sold across retail and Steam for the first full year.

Yes exactly! This BS that DRM encourages people to steal is insanely dumb. And I really wish PC Gamers would stop acting like they are on their high horse saying, "I only download games that are trying to screw me over!!". Point is, the average consumer (the one PC gamers seemed to be "so worried" about) wont notice and they wont care. And they wont be downloading it illegally because they don't know how.

And just look at DEMIGOD. For F sakes PC games should be banned after what happened to those poor guys. First day they shipped 100k copies and sold 60k or so - and there was 140k people online. Their servers could not handle it, so they had to stay over time for a week trying to fix it. Did they "Deserve it"? NO way. Pirates are consistently trying to justify their reasonings behind stealing games; if it's not having to keep the disc in the tray, it's cloud saving. If it is not not allowing you to install more than 4 times, it's having to register online.

They have to try these things - because they care about the PC Game market. And when they sit by and let gamers purchase their games with no restrictions - it is just as bad or worse.

(Oh and before I get bitched: I am an avid PC gamer)

Edited by DarkNessBear, 25 February 2010 - 08:12 PM.

360/PS3/PC/Wii Owner Currently playing: U3, Skyrim, AC:R

#28 banodyne

banodyne

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 February 2010 - 07:48 PM

Perfect example of why the "no DRM" model fails: Demigod. Stardock, a very small PC games publisher went out of their way to say they didn't want to put DRM in games. This isn't a huge company with deep pockets that people could accuse of being greedy. What happened? There were so many torrented copies, versus what the game actually sold, that it brought the online servers to its knees making it unplayable for almost everybody.

#29 Nesrie

Nesrie

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 February 2010 - 08:12 PM

Perfect example of why the "no DRM" model fails: Demigod. Stardock, a very small PC games publisher went out of their way to say they didn't want to put DRM in games. This isn't a huge company with deep pockets that people could accuse of being greedy. What happened? There were so many torrented copies, versus what the game actually sold, that it brought the online servers to its knees making it unplayable for almost everybody.

That is not what happened. You need to go back and follow the timeline with that game. I have been on the Stardock forums for awhile. Brad, that's the CEO of Stardock by the way, has said there was a fundamental flaw in the P2P nature of the online multiplayer GPG, the developer, used. He has also said, REPEATEDLY, that it would have been easy and WRONG to blame the problems Demigod had on pirates.

As for Ubisoft, screw them, i won't buy their games. EA, maybe later when they are done milking the die-hard fans.

#30 KingBroly

KingBroly

CAG Club Nintendo

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 February 2010 - 08:32 PM

We were responding to a specific question about the 5 games we discussed. If Nick had asked us about Pokemon it would have been on the list. Don't be so quick to be angry and try listening, :)

As co-host of the show it is your duty to add insightful analysis and commentary, no matter the circumstances, whether it be adding a game to the conversation or ignoring game specs.
Completed Games: 2011 | 2012
CAG Club Nintendo Thread
Posted Image