Grandia Xtreme $9.99 used on gamestop.com

Grandia Xtreme is completely different from the first game. It's got the worst story among the Grandia series along with some questionable dungeon choices (not to mention one of the worst VA's for a RPG), but it does one thing good: Focus on the battle system. I personally think that Grandia 2's battle system is the best in the series (and is one of the best RPG battle systems), but Xtreme is a close second to it.

Grandia for the Sega Saturn/PSOne is a true gem. Grandia Xtreme is just battles, in a sense, but it's still a fun play.

Grandia's battle engine is one of the most fun in the JRPG world. I recommend this game.

I thought all the Grandia games had great battle systems. So the only thing, IMO, that separates them is the story, which this game absolutely fails at. Still, the worst Grandia game is still better than many, many other RPGs out there.

Basically, it's an excuse to do more battles. The whole game focuses around the battle system. You can pretty much ignore everything else.

If that doesn't appeal to you, this game is not for you. But it was also $25 USED for a *long* time at GS, so this is a welcome reduction. Try a B&M to see if anyone still has a box and instructions for it.

GameStop fudged up the SAVER coupon.

Coupon SAVER - 15% off in-stock accessories, new & used. Not valid on hard drives, points cards or wireless network adaptors. Online only. Expires 2/28/2010 11:59PM

Edit: Odd. Seems to change depending on what I have in my cart.

[quote name='Dmonrei']Grandia Xtreme is completely different from the first game. It's got the worst story among the Grandia series along with some questionable dungeon choices (not to mention one of the worst VA's for a RPG), but it does one thing good: Focus on the battle system. I personally think that Grandia 2's battle system is the best in the series (and is one of the best RPG battle systems), but Xtreme is a close second to it.[/QUOTE]

Never played Xtreme -- and don't think I ever will.

Agreed that Grandia 2 is awesome, but having played 2 and 3, I have to say 3 is better. It refines the system and adds quality presentation on top of it.

If you can pick up Grandia 3, highly recommend it. As for Grandia 2, I would recommend the DC version since the PS2 version is allegedly a bad port. Though if you have no DC, the PS2 version is the next best thing.

[quote name='romeogbs19']As for Grandia 2, I would recommend the DC version since the PS2 version is allegedly a bad port. Though if you have no DC, the PS2 version is the next best thing.[/QUOTE]
Hahaha, just reading that reminds me of when Grandia II (PS2) would spontaneously lose character textures. The characters would, instead, be white blobs with shadowing for the remainder of the current battle. It was quite hilarious.

Did anyone else have the disappearing textures issue on the PS2 version?

[quote name='ZxT Vendetta']I ordered this Dark Cloud 2 & Suikoden V this morning. :)[/QUOTE]

Where did you find Suikoden V??

[quote name='packt']Where did you find Suikoden V??[/QUOTE]

presumably from the same site as grandia which is in the title of the post...

[quote name='packt']Where did you find Suikoden V??[/QUOTE]

It was in stock when I ordered yesterday morning.

[quote name='savagepastry']presumably from the same site as grandia which is in the title of the post...[/QUOTE]

LOL Thank you. :applause:

[quote name='pizzaflavoredpudding']Awesome battle system, everything else about the game is pretty bad...I reccomend this game though still.[/QUOTE]

Agreed.

I remember this game having the oddest save system where you can't save in a dungeon until after you beat the boss.

I wish i could have played the first two Grandias as my introduction to the series. I remember sinking a ridiculous amount of time in this game. Leveling up got easy when you started to just kill those pink squirrel things.

Grandia Xtreme is for people with way too much time on their hands: it's purposely punishing and requires ridiculous amounts of grinding (even for a JRPG), so it's only for people who love the Grandia battle system more than they love their own lives.

Steer clear of this one and spend the $9.99 on the original Grandia on the PSN store.

[quote name='EliotAndrews']Hahaha, just reading that reminds me of when Grandia II (PS2) would spontaneously lose character textures. The characters would, instead, be white blobs with shadowing for the remainder of the current battle. It was quite hilarious.

Did anyone else have the disappearing textures issue on the PS2 version?[/QUOTE]

It was along time ago but I believe that happened only with the hyper shoes. I never saw it last for the whole battle though may be a turn.

I played this game for about 2 hours and returned it. The voiceover's terrible, with lots of awkward pauses due to loading.

[quote name='skrutop']I played this game for about 2 hours and returned it. The voiceover's terrible, with lots of awkward pauses due to loading.[/QUOTE]
Awkward pauses are the new thing now. Just ask Craig Ferguson. Maybe Grandia Xtreme was just ahead of its time.

But probably not...

bread's done
Back