Photo
* * * * * 2 votes

Game of Thrones Season 4 discussion thread - Renewed for 5th & 6th seasons!

• Please log in to reply
1795 replies to this topic

#1 Anexanhume

Anexanhume

Posted 02 March 2010 - 11:07 PM

game-of-thrones.jpg?w=550&h=290

The moment many of us have been waiting for is here. Tonight is the premiere of the Game of Thrones TV series on HBO. Use this thread to discuss each episode. Please make sure to mark all spoilers. While a lot of us have read the books, and know what to expect, many of the people that may come in here might not have. So out of respect to them make sure to keep the spoilers hidden.

What: A fantasy series based on the popular books by George RR Martin
When: Sundays at 9pm EST on HBO
Why you should watch: Much darker than what most people think of as fantasy. You won't find any elves or fairies, any magic is very low key, and the focus is on political drama between the noble families. A very dark story where no character is safe.

Links

Official Site: http://www.hbo.com/g...ones/index.html
Viewiing Guide for GoT newbies: http://viewers-guide...s/?cmpid=ABC794
HBOGO signup and partners page: http://www.hbogo.com/#signup/

Season 4 first trailer:

Edited by Anexanhume, 08 April 2014 - 06:28 PM.

#2 Strell

Strell

LOBSTERS!....IN MY PANTS!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 March 2010 - 11:19 PM

I'm still waiting to see if they have the pure number of actors to pull this off. I greatly look forward to seeing someone killed, and then show up in the next scene immediately, in a very Monty Python sort of way.

Posted Image
Aminal Crossing: Strell@Tazmily, 2836-3590- 0819

"One of the more...amusing screwballs around here..." - shrike4242
Join the El Hoardo Fan Club!
Threadless.com puts the fun back in laundry!...lafundry! HOORAY! (Referral link)
Wii Obscure FAQ and Facts Thread [Version 2.0] ::: Wii Shop Thread ::: DSi Shop Thread

#3 Rei no Otaku

Rei no Otaku

Rei's love

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 March 2010 - 03:23 AM

Can't wait. I have to say, Sean Bean will make an awesome Ned.

Also it's all about the Targaryans!

Rei_no_Otaku.png

#4 Demon Soul

Demon Soul

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 March 2010 - 03:34 AM

Didn't really enjoy the book as the people who recommended them to me. I hope the series turns out well. I haven't been disappointed in an HBO show in awhile.

#5 crunchb3rry

crunchb3rry

Posted 03 March 2010 - 04:21 AM

Fuck. YES.

There was no chance at HBO not picking this up. Apparently one or two of the guys who had the final decision started reading the books and became obsessed with them. The good thing is now George is on a timetable and has to focus more on this series than his 5,000 side projects.

#6 Rei no Otaku

Rei no Otaku

Rei's love

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 March 2010 - 04:24 AM

Fuck. YES.

There was no chance at HBO not picking this up. Apparently one or two of the guys who had the final decision started reading the books and became obsessed with them. The good thing is now George is on a timetable and has to focus more on this series than his 5,000 side projects.

Seriously. I'm all for people taking their time and making something the best it can be, but he needs to hurry it up just a bit...

Rei_no_Otaku.png

#7 crunchb3rry

crunchb3rry

Posted 03 March 2010 - 04:41 AM

I'm still waiting to see if they have the pure number of actors to pull this off. I greatly look forward to seeing someone killed, and then show up in the next scene immediately, in a very Monty Python sort of way.

Reminds me of Deadwood where the same guy (Garret Dillahunt) played two roles. Surprisingly well though, I must say. Coincidentally, that very same actor is a huge fan of the books and is trying to get a part. With him already being HBO alumni, I think he's got a good shot.

#8 Strell

Strell

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 March 2010 - 04:43 AM

I just imagine people spoiling themselves when they look up characters/actors on IMDB and see someone's credentials as "King's Landing Guard #34, Wildling Husband, (central pivotal ____ Family character)."

Also, you know who needs to play Sansa? No one, that's who. Because she's a terribly useless character.

Posted Image

Threadless.com puts the fun back in laundry!...lafundry! HOORAY! (Referral link)
Wii Obscure FAQ and Facts Thread [Version 2.0] ::: Wii Shop Thread ::: DSi Shop Thread

#9 crunchb3rry

crunchb3rry

Posted 03 March 2010 - 04:46 AM

There's actually a girl in the pilot named Red Headed Whore.

#10 Strell

Strell

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 March 2010 - 04:50 AM

I dunno. I have to give them credit - that's a pretty specific kind of whore. And these books are chock full of 'em.

Posted Image

#11 evildeadjedi

evildeadjedi

RIP DIO \m/ \m/

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 March 2010 - 04:51 AM

:applause: This could be truly epic.
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#12 crunchb3rry

crunchb3rry

Posted 03 March 2010 - 04:55 AM

Here's the current cast if anyone is interested. Strell can check out his favorite character, Sansa. And Red Headed Whore too.

http://winter-is-com...ast-so-far.html

#13 Strell

Strell

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 March 2010 - 04:58 AM

Not how I pictured Daenarys, Cersei, or Drogo. But I'll wait to see how they pan out regardless. Much faith in the Tyrion though.

Geez, I read these books last year and I'm already have a tough time remembering everyone.

Posted Image

#14 crunchb3rry

crunchb3rry

Posted 03 March 2010 - 05:06 AM

Ed Harris totally needs to play Tywin Lannister. Somebody call him.

#15 Neverfade

Neverfade

Danger and Excellence

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 March 2010 - 08:41 AM

Speaking of Deadwood alum, can Ian McShane get a part? Pretty please?

Spoiler

^Not a spoiler

#16 crunchb3rry

crunchb3rry

Posted 03 March 2010 - 10:27 AM

I think McShane would be better for Mance Rayder. Some other SoIaF fans want him to play Randyll Tarly. Personally, I think that part should be the guy who played that asshole Robert "Rocket" Romano on ER.

#17 Anexanhume

Anexanhume

Posted 03 March 2010 - 05:50 PM

Also, you know who needs to play Sansa? No one, that's who. Because she's a terribly useless character.

You may see her that way early on, but she has an important role. For one, her experience beautifully captures the reality vs. fantasy of being a lord's daughter, and she could go on to play a pivotal role later on. I fully expect something important to happen while she is with Baelish.

#18 Strell

Strell

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 March 2010 - 07:56 PM

I've read all four and she's barely progressed as anything more than an idealistic annoyance. Every person I've ever talked to who has read these books all agree that every Sansa chapter was preceded with an audible Awww Fuck. And then the fourth book was a doubleteaming of Sansa and Cersei?

That's the first time I needed liquor to finish reading a novel.

Posted Image

#19 Rei no Otaku

Rei no Otaku

Rei's love

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 March 2010 - 08:09 PM

Yeah I actually like Sansa. I hated her in the beginning, but as the reality of the world has started to hit her I think she's a very interesting character. She lived in this gilded cage her entire life and now she's seeing how cruel the world really is.

Rei_no_Otaku.png

#20 Anexanhume

Anexanhume

Posted 03 March 2010 - 08:23 PM

I've read all four and she's barely progressed as anything more than an idealistic annoyance. Every person I've ever talked to who has read these books all agree that every Sansa chapter was preceded with an audible Awww Fuck. And then the fourth book was a doubleteaming of Sansa and Cersei?

That's the first time I needed liquor to finish reading a novel.

I'll agree on the fourth book. Seems like his last minute split deprived it of the best POVs, but ADWD should be great with Daenerys, Tyrion and Jon as POVs.

#21 crunchb3rry

crunchb3rry

Posted 03 March 2010 - 11:57 PM

The cool thing is they should "reorder' everything in books 4 & 5 for the show. Put everything back into chronological order.

I didn't mind Sansa as a character. I thought her scenes with the Hound were some of the best. The purpose of her character is to be a spoiled girl that learns the harsh realities of life, but has trouble accepting it all, unlike her sister. I think she's going to transform from a girl who thought life was a fairy tale to a master manipulator that would put Cersei to shame. She's essentially learning the trade from Littlefinger.

#22 crunchb3rry

crunchb3rry

Posted 08 July 2010 - 08:02 AM

A couple more people cast:

Ser Gregor "The Mountain That Rides" Clegane
Spoiler

Syrio Forel, Arya's fencing teacher.
Spoiler

Rast
Spoiler

Samwell "The Slayer" Tarly
Spoiler

#23 crunchb3rry

crunchb3rry

Posted 13 July 2010 - 06:09 AM

Two more roles filled.

Ser Barristan "the Bold" Selmy
Spoiler

Littlefinger
Spoiler

#24 dastly75

dastly75

Resident Squirrel

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 July 2010 - 06:40 AM

Looking forward to it, gotta start back on reading this series again.

Cheap Ass Giraffes Grifball Team Captain

Posted Image

Posted Image

#25 Fjordson

Fjordson

Posted 13 July 2010 - 11:13 AM

This is going to be fucking great. Great casting for Littlefinger.

Now let's hope Martin is done with Dance by this time next year.

#26 RAMSTORIA

RAMSTORIA

fate is inexorable

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 July 2010 - 01:53 PM

man, theyve been doing an excellent job in casting. for just about everyone i think, yup thats so and so.

Posted Image

#27 yankeessuck

yankeessuck

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 July 2010 - 02:27 PM

No chance he ever finishes this series

#28 shrike4242

shrike4242

Not My Job Anymore, Go Bother Someone Else.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 July 2010 - 03:31 PM

They've been teasing with ads during the beginning sequence for True Blood. Really looking forward to it.

#29 Anexanhume

Anexanhume

Posted 13 July 2010 - 06:51 PM

Two more roles filled.

Ser Barristan "the Bold" Selmy

Spoiler

Littlefinger
Spoiler

A good way to keep up with the casting info is winter-is-coming.net I've found.

Agreed. Looks a lot like I imagined him. I honestly think George will finish this year. He already has enough manuscript pages to make it the second longest book and he has an upper limit he can't go beyond. So, unless he edits and rewrites it to death, the end is in sight IMO.

#30 crunchb3rry

crunchb3rry

Posted 16 July 2010 - 05:27 AM

Varys the Spider
Spoiler