Photo
* * * * * 2 votes

Game of Thrones Season 4 discussion thread - Renewed for 5th & 6th seasons!

• Please log in to reply
1798 replies to this topic

#61 crunchb3rry

crunchb3rry

Posted 16 March 2011 - 09:02 PM

There are 2 reasons for aging the characters. The primary concern is the taboo of underage sex. The second is that they can get older, more skilled actors to play the parts, as is the case with Bran, Rickon, Thomen, etc.

Also, a lot of time is supposed to have elapsed in the books by the time it ends. It's a unique scenario given that the seasons last for unpredictable periods. So by the time "winter comes", the Stark kids will be young adults with adult problems, so having older actors will make it more believable down the road.

#62 Anexanhume

Anexanhume

Posted 16 March 2011 - 09:44 PM

Also, a lot of time is supposed to have elapsed in the books by the time it ends. It's a unique scenario given that the seasons last for unpredictable periods. So by the time "winter comes", the Stark kids will be young adults with adult problems, so having older actors will make it more believable down the road.

Makes me wonder if they will film multiple seasons at once if the first one is a runaway success. No question the material is there. Arguably books 2 and 3 are even better than book 1. Book 4, not so much but if they can interweave it with book 5 it could come out good.

#63 crunchb3rry

crunchb3rry

Posted 17 March 2011 - 08:41 AM

They can't film multiple seasons at once. They'd get caught up too quick and George has two more books to write. He said he moved a lot of book 5 stuff into book 6, but I'd still wager it'll take him 2-3 years to finish the next book, and that's a generous estimate.

I'm still thinking HBO will get caught up and the show will be stuck in limbo for a few years waiting for George to write the last book.

#64 RAMSTORIA

RAMSTORIA

fate is inexorable

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 March 2011 - 11:08 AM

They can't film multiple seasons at once. They'd get caught up too quick and George has two more books to write. He said he moved a lot of book 5 stuff into book 6, but I'd still wager it'll take him 2-3 years to finish the next book, and that's a generous estimate.

I'm still thinking HBO will get caught up and the show will be stuck in limbo for a few years waiting for George to write the last book.

Well asumming that there will be 5 seasons (3 for the first 3 books and 2 mixed with crows and dragons) GRRM has enough time to finish the series if he goes back to his original pace. But it seems, unfortunatMely, likely that we could reach a scenario where both the last book and last season of the show are put off for a long time.

#65 yankeessuck

yankeessuck

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 March 2011 - 02:26 PM

Well asumming that there will be 5 seasons (3 for the first 3 books and 2 mixed with crows and dragons) GRRM has enough time to finish the series if he goes back to his original pace. But it seems, unfortunatMely, likely that we could reach a scenario where both the last book and last season of the show are put off for a long time.

I tend to think if it gets close to that point GRRM will get motivated or someone will motivate him with a truckload of cash.

Of course with the shows big budget I have alot of doubts about HBO sticking with the show to the end.

#66 bvharris

bvharris

the black wind howls

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 March 2011 - 02:33 PM

This assumes the show even gets further seasons. Given how much it cost to make, that's far from a certainty. If the show is a hit (which I suspect it will be) then it should be fine, but even HBO can't afford to make exorbitantly priced shows that no one watches.

33126.png

#67 RAMSTORIA

RAMSTORIA

fate is inexorable

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 March 2011 - 04:27 PM

This assumes the show even gets further seasons. Given how much it cost to make, that's far from a certainty. If the show is a hit (which I suspect it will be) then it should be fine, but even HBO can't afford to make exorbitantly priced shows that no one watches.

True enough. I just assume (hope) it will be a success given HBO's track record and the popularity of the series.

Posted Image

#68 Anexanhume

Anexanhume

Posted 17 March 2011 - 07:40 PM

This is the manuscript for the 5th book. It's still going to get larger.

Posted Image

#69 Rei no Otaku

Rei no Otaku

Rei's love

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 April 2011 - 01:34 AM

Anyone else see the 15 minute preview tonight? It was awesome. Everything looked exactly how I pictured it from reading the books.

Rei_no_Otaku.png

#70 bvharris

bvharris

the black wind howls

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 April 2011 - 03:14 AM

Anyone else see the 15 minute preview tonight? It was awesome. Everything looked exactly how I pictured it from reading the books.

Damn, I've been looking for it and trying to set my DVR, must have missed it. Do you know if they're showing it again?

33126.png

#71 Rei no Otaku

Rei no Otaku

Rei's love

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 April 2011 - 03:29 AM

You can watch it online here: http://www.makinggam...m/?cmpid=ABC587

Rei_no_Otaku.png

#72 Strell

Strell

LOBSTERS!....IN MY PANTS!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 April 2011 - 09:54 AM

You can watch it online here: http://www.makinggam...m/?cmpid=ABC587

At the 7:50 mark I couldn't help but think about the Monty Python Holy Grail theme song.

Posted Image
Aminal Crossing: Strell@Tazmily, 2836-3590- 0819

"One of the more...amusing screwballs around here..." - shrike4242
Join the El Hoardo Fan Club!
Threadless.com puts the fun back in laundry!...lafundry! HOORAY! (Referral link)
Wii Obscure FAQ and Facts Thread [Version 2.0] ::: Wii Shop Thread ::: DSi Shop Thread

#73 Javery

Javery

Drug-Dealer-Keeper-Awayer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 April 2011 - 01:06 PM

I set my DVR for the preview - my guide still won't allow me to record the series though and I know I'll probably forget.

If the show is a success and eventually catches up to the books, I'm sure HBO will just keep making new episodes at that point.

--- Bella's Arcade --- Donkey Kong + ---

#74 Clak

Clak

Made of star stuff.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 April 2011 - 02:37 PM

Looks good, the first part of the preview had a total LOTR feel to it.
Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that. -George Carlin

“Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.” -Mark Twain

“When a great genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign; that the dunces are all in confederacy against him." -Jonathon Swift

#75 RAMSTORIA

RAMSTORIA

fate is inexorable

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 April 2011 - 05:30 PM

Damn, I've been looking for it and trying to set my DVR, must have missed it. Do you know if they're showing it again?

me too. could not find it on the guide. oh well, i think i can wait another 12 days...

Posted Image

#76 shrike4242

shrike4242

Not My Job Anymore, Go Bother Someone Else.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 April 2011 - 07:00 PM

The preview looked great, and like most of the HBO shows, very nice in HD. I was impressed with how they were using surround sound on the preview, so I'm hoping that like some of the other past shows on HBO (True Blood, Boardwalk Empire), it has decent surround sound use.

It was enough of a tease to get you interested if you weren't already interested. Nice to see the date being set of April 17th.

#77 dmaul1114

dmaul1114

Posted 04 April 2011 - 07:10 PM

So what are the options for watching this? Only HBO? I thought I read about it being free streaming online as well or something a while back, but haven't heard anything about that recently.

#78 bvharris

bvharris

the black wind howls

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 April 2011 - 07:44 PM

So what are the options for watching this? Only HBO? I thought I read about it being free streaming online as well or something a while back, but haven't heard anything about that recently.

I'm sure it will be available online through... means. I doubt HBO would stream one of their programs online for free though.

33126.png

#79 dmaul1114

dmaul1114

Posted 04 April 2011 - 07:46 PM

Actually, it looks like they will be streaming online-I doubt any of the methods listed are legal though.

I'll probably just wait for the blu rays to come out and netflix them though. I have no easy way to get streaming video (other than Netflix on my 360) to my TV since my TV doesn't have a PC input and my laptop doesn't have any other video out ports. And I'd rather watch in HD on the big screen than on my laptop.

Edited by dmaul1114, 04 April 2011 - 08:23 PM.

#80 shrike4242

shrike4242

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 April 2011 - 08:21 PM

I'm sure it will be available online through... means. I doubt HBO would stream one of their programs online for free though.

They don't. It's a VOD service such as iTunes or Amazon, or via cable TV / satellite.

Anything other than those avenues is less than legal.

#81 dmaul1114

dmaul1114

Posted 04 April 2011 - 08:25 PM

Oh well. I'll just wait for the disks to come out. I'm not that anxious for it anyway as I don't get that excited for film adaptations of things I read since I already know the story etc.

#82 shrike4242

shrike4242

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 April 2011 - 10:51 PM

io9 has a spoiler-free preview, pulled from their viewing of the first six episodes:

http://io9.com/#!579...ing-achievement

#83 RAMSTORIA

RAMSTORIA

fate is inexorable

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 April 2011 - 07:04 PM

Tonight's the night! New thread?

#84 Rei no Otaku

Rei no Otaku

Rei's love

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 April 2011 - 07:38 PM

I'll try putting together a thread for it. I'll post it up in a bit.

Here we go: http://www.cheapassg...547#post8380547

Edited by Rei no Otaku, 17 April 2011 - 08:00 PM.

Rei_no_Otaku.png

#85 Rei no Otaku

Rei no Otaku

Rei's love

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 April 2011 - 07:59 PM

Posted Image

The moment many of us have been waiting for is here. Tonight is the premiere of the Game of Thrones TV series on HBO. Use this thread to discuss each episode. Please make sure to mark all spoilers. While a lot of us have read the books, and know what to expect, many of the people that may come in here might not have. So out of respect to them make sure to keep the spoilers hidden.

What: A fantasy series based on the popular books by George RR Martin
When: Sundays at 9pm EST on HBO
Why you should watch: Much darker than what most people think of as fantasy. You won't find any elves or fairies, any magic is very low key, and the focus is on political drama between the noble families. A very dark story where no character is safe.

Trailer:

Links

Official Site: http://www.hbo.com/g...ones/index.html
Viewiing Guide for GoT newbies: http://viewers-guide...s/?cmpid=ABC794

Rei_no_Otaku.png

#86 RAMSTORIA

RAMSTORIA

fate is inexorable

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 April 2011 - 08:05 PM

Most anticipated show ever.

My dilema... watch it on the east coast hbo feed in standard def 3 hours early, wait for the high def feed at 9pm or watch both...

Posted Image

#87 Poor2More

Poor2More

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 April 2011 - 08:08 PM

I never heard of this or the books before watching the 15 minute trailer...and damn now their is no way I will miss an episode.

very excited for tonight premier!!!
Posted Image

#88 Rei no Otaku

Rei no Otaku

Rei's love

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 April 2011 - 08:09 PM

Also remember, HBO is doing a pre-show special that begins 15 minutes before the start of tonight's episode. So if you're recording it you might want to set it a little early.

Rei_no_Otaku.png

#89 Poor2More

Poor2More

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 April 2011 - 08:28 PM

Also remember, HBO is doing a pre-show special that begins 15 minutes before the start of tonight's episode. So if you're recording it you might want to set it a little early.

whats the preshow special?
Posted Image

#90 billyrox

billyrox

Posted 17 April 2011 - 09:06 PM

how long is the premiere tonight?