Photo
* * * * * 2 votes

Game of Thrones Season 4 discussion thread - Renewed for 5th & 6th seasons!

• Please log in to reply
1803 replies to this topic

#961 bvharris

bvharris

the black wind howls

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 April 2012 - 06:09 PM

And let's not forget why a knight like him is in the middle of nowhere.

He was selling poachers on his lands to slavers and that's illegal in the kingdom. Ned Stark found out he did it and was going to deal with it, though Ser Jorah fled and ended up with the Targaeryns. I think the penalty was execution for slavery.

I think that's how it went down, so please correct me if I have some of it incorrect.

You've got the gist of it.

33126.png

#962 Indignate

Indignate

Hell Yeah, I’m the Motherfucking Princess!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 April 2012 - 06:20 PM

He did get a pardon to go back for being Varys' informant, but then he fell in love with Dany.

#963 Clak

Clak

Made of star stuff.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 April 2012 - 06:37 PM

Its much harder to learn the names watching the show. Its not a question of intelligence since the names just arent said all that often outside of the major characters..

Also I dont think they changed Jeyne's name. It seemed that she was lying about who she was. Its also possible they changed the character completely and its more then just a name change. Maybe to make her more "common"?

Mmm, Asha is going to be a major character later on, there was no need to change her name in that case.
Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that. -George Carlin

“Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.” -Mark Twain

“When a great genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign; that the dunces are all in confederacy against him." -Jonathon Swift

#964 Clak

Clak

Made of star stuff.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 April 2012 - 06:46 PM

He did get a pardon to go back for being Varys' informant, but then he fell in love with Dany.

And she told him to GTFO.
Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that. -George Carlin

“Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.” -Mark Twain

“When a great genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign; that the dunces are all in confederacy against him." -Jonathon Swift

#965 yankeessuck

yankeessuck

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 April 2012 - 06:55 PM

Mmm, Asha is going to be a major character later on, there was no need to change her name in that case.

Its too similar to Osha. Of course Yara is similar to Arya so that made no sense.

#966 lokizz

lokizz

Go $$$$ Yourself

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 April 2012 - 08:22 PM

And let's not forget why a knight like him is in the middle of nowhere.

He was selling poachers on his lands to slavers and that's illegal in the kingdom. Ned Stark found out he did it and was going to deal with it, though Ser Jorah fled and ended up with the Targaeryns. I think the penalty was execution for slavery.

I think that's how it went down, so please correct me if I have some of it incorrect.

kinda funny theyd frown on someone doing that when isnt being sent to the knights watch pretty much another type of slavery. yeah some choose to do it for personal reasons but many are forced into it due to crimes they committed or were accused of.

#967 Clak

Clak

Made of star stuff.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 April 2012 - 08:28 PM

It's usually the wall or execution, take your pick.

#968 crunchb3rry

crunchb3rry

Posted 24 April 2012 - 11:45 PM

They changed Asha's name cuz it was to similar to the prisoner that hangs around with Bran.

Damn, you're right, totally forgot about Osha. Yeah, their names do sound similar. I would have thought Osha would have been the one to get the name change. Asha became a POV character in the books. Osha is barely a minor character.

Changing Asha's name makes sense. Changing it to Yara doesnt.

I know, lol. I keep thinking of that free Toyota XBLA game everytime I hear her name.

Can't wait for the next episode. The Winterfell events were some crazy shit.

#969 Indignate

Indignate

Hell Yeah, I’m the Motherfucking Princess!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 April 2012 - 01:23 AM

I thought the same. Maybe they didn't think that far ahead due to not knowing if the show would even succeed or not?

Either way, I don't mind the character name changes much. Now if you keep the name, but pronounce it totally different, then that's annoying (Fuck you, Shyamalan).

#970 Clak

Clak

Made of star stuff.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 April 2012 - 02:04 PM

And Martin looooves names that are hard to pronounce. In this last episode Dany mispronounces Qarth and is corrrected, certainly a nod to how hard some of these names are to pronounce.

#971 lolwhat

lolwhat

Posted 25 April 2012 - 03:18 PM

After that badass speech, I was really hoping she got turned away, found a way to survive, and then actually burnt down that city in perhaps another season.

And no, don't reply to me with spoiler innuendo! Never touched the books.

#972 evildeadjedi

evildeadjedi

RIP DIO \m/ \m/

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 April 2012 - 12:56 PM

Another amazing episode. Man, it's a shame that this Sunday marks the half way point of the season. Ten episodes a season is not enough for this show.

I found this while browsing. This is an illustrated guide to Houses and character relationships if you're having a tough time following everything.

http://hauteslides.c...Full-Screen.png

Edited by evildeadjedi, 28 April 2012 - 10:43 PM.

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#973 crunchb3rry

crunchb3rry

Posted 30 April 2012 - 02:02 AM

Damn that was a good episode. I want to joust Dany's handmaidens in the poopers.

#974 lolwhat

lolwhat

Posted 30 April 2012 - 05:24 AM

best episode so far

and as i said before, i hope the greyjoys sink

#975 The Great Muta

The Great Muta

Posted 30 April 2012 - 06:34 AM

I have yet to watch Season 2.

Just wondering about the pacing. Please, do not read if you have not read all of the books.

My question(s):
Spoiler

Thanks in advance, sirs/madams.

#976 crunchb3rry

crunchb3rry

Posted 30 April 2012 - 08:04 AM

^

MAJOR BOOKS 2 & 3 SPOILERS
Spoiler

#977 Jodou

Jodou

Posted 30 April 2012 - 02:07 PM

I might have to watch it again because I'm sure I missed stuff. Now it's really starting to get overwhelming with the amount of shit going down every episode.

JodouKastBizmuth.jpg

#978 Clak

Clak

Made of star stuff.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 April 2012 - 02:59 PM

The most jarring thing for me is how slowly the books tend to progress, vs how quickly the show progresses. I really think that they would have been better served by increasing the number of episodes per season, everything just seema to be happen too quickly.

#979 bvharris

bvharris

the black wind howls

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 April 2012 - 03:03 PM

The most jarring thing for me is how slowly the books tend to progress, vs how quickly the show progresses. I really think that they would have been better served by increasing the number of episodes per season, everything just seema to be happen too quickly.

I agree that even 2 or 3 more episodes in each season would make a difference. 12 or 13 is the standard run for an HBO show, so it is a little disappointing that GoT is only 10. I assume the reasons are entirely budgetary, but I'd hoped the success of the 1st season might mean a larger order for season 2.

Given the time constraints of the format though, I think they've done as good a job as could be expected when it comes to pacing.

33126.png

#980 Clak

Clak

Made of star stuff.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 April 2012 - 03:17 PM

Yeah I don't understand the budgetary constraints. Maybe for the first season, but this show is a hit for HBO. If they really don't want to spend the money I think they're crazy.

#981 bvharris

bvharris

the black wind howls

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 April 2012 - 03:20 PM

Yeah I don't understand the budgetary constraints. Maybe for the first season, but this show is a hit for HBO. If they really don't want to spend the money I think they're crazy.

Unlike networks which rely on ad revenue, there's really no incentive for HBO to order more episodes based on ratings. So they'd spend more on additional episodes but wouldn't really see a corresponding return on that additional investment above what the show already nets them.

I do wish the producers had pushed harder for an expanded season, but at least they were able to convince them to split up book 3.

33126.png

#982 Anexanhume

Anexanhume

Posted 30 April 2012 - 04:00 PM

For HBO it's about subscribers and DVD/Blu sales. If an increase in budget is going to result in a larger increase in subs/sales, they'll do it.

#983 lolwhat

lolwhat

Posted 30 April 2012 - 05:24 PM

all i know is the show has incredibly quality at 10 episodes a season, and i'd hate to see it get bloated like other series.

#984 yankeessuck

yankeessuck

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 April 2012 - 05:39 PM

Did they not cast the Reeds? I guess they are pushing stuff into next season.

#985 bvharris

bvharris

the black wind howls

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 April 2012 - 05:43 PM

Did they not cast the Reeds? I guess they are pushing stuff into next season.

The Reeds weren't cast that I've seen. Honestly, I'm not sure they will be, I've been getting the feeling that the show's been positioning Osha to fill their role in the later books
Spoiler

33126.png

#986 Clak

Clak

Made of star stuff.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 April 2012 - 05:50 PM

Yeah I don't think some things in the books are going to work on the show. Like for example, having a season without Tyrion, I just don't think it's going to happen. He's too well liked by viewers to write him out of an entire season.

#987 yankeessuck

yankeessuck

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 April 2012 - 05:51 PM

The Reeds weren't cast that I've seen. Honestly, I'm not sure they will be, I've been getting the feeling that the show's been positioning Osha to fill their role in the later books

Spoiler

Spoiler

#988 lokizz

lokizz

Go $$$$ Yourself

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 April 2012 - 06:26 PM

the little crippled kid is coming into his own i liked how he handled business. i hope that girl doesnt waste her
Spoiler
if she was smart shed use it on the lanister dad that would throw alot of things into chaos. digging the butch knight chick too holy shit she can throw down and she will be a great addition to her house.

btw how fast do the dragons tend to grow? they wont be full size until probably season 3 or 4 yeah?and does she ever ride them?

#989 Clak

Clak

Made of star stuff.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 April 2012 - 06:30 PM

She more or less does waste them, had she killed others it would have had more of an impact. The dragons won't be full sized probably until season 5 at least.

#990 Anexanhume

Anexanhume

Posted 30 April 2012 - 06:34 PM

Regarding the importance of the Reeds,

Spoiler