Photo
- - - - -

Sunday Ad Video Game Deals (3/14/10 to 3/20/10)

• Please log in to reply
330 replies to this topic

#301 A Happy Panda

A Happy Panda

not as happy as you think

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 March 2010 - 05:29 PM

Managed to get the GoW3 deal at Best Buy with some complications. The woman at the store accused me of altering the price guarantee policy I brought in and gave me a huge attitude. Ultimately called me a jew for trying to get the deal. :applause:

I called up the 800-BestBuy number and the guy on there was really great and properly explained to me the policy after taking it further to get a proper definition. Basically it is broken down to the store's call. The actual policy is like this...say if Best Buy is offering a $10 card and TRU is $20 then you would be able to obtain the extra $10. If they aren't offering any sort of gift card it is a crap shoot.

He ended up calling the store and they still declined. However he was persistent of getting me the deal. He called up another Best Buy not far out of my way and they were more than happy to do the deal. He gave me the manager's name and told me to ask for him. I got there and they gave it to me without hassle. He seemed annoyed that another store would go so far to not want my business. He told me they would honor deals like this anytime and wanted me to take my business to his store regularly.

So I ended up getting what I wanted and the people at the second store really went out of their way to close the book on this issue. Time for GoW!

Wait they actually called you a Jew?

#302 caltab

caltab

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 March 2010 - 05:34 PM

I called up the 800-BestBuy number and the guy on there was really great and properly explained to me the policy after taking it further to get a proper definition. Basically it is broken down to the store's call. The actual policy is like this...say if Best Buy is offering a $10 card and TRU is $20 then you would be able to obtain the extra $10. If they aren't offering any sort of gift card it is a crap shoot.

I've never heard it clarified that way by anyone from best buy before, but given the wording of the actual policy that is one way you COULD interpret it, but if it is only applicable when best buy is also offering a GC they could do a far better job with the wording of their own policy. I am surprised they don't use that explanation more often when they turn down these type of price matches because it actually at least makes logical sense, although I would still fault them for vague wording. Usually, they say they don't match free promo's to turn me down and when I show them their own policy they eventually cave. Here's the exact wording for anyone who hasn't seen it.

"The value of an instant gift card with purchase will be considered when calculating a price match. If the combined value of a competitor's product and instant gift card is lower than the combined value of Best Buy's product price and instant gift card, Best Buy will match either the price or the instant gift card value, depending on the offer."

#303 Sanjuro

Sanjuro

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 March 2010 - 05:39 PM

I've never heard it clarified that way by anyone from best buy before, but given the wording of the actual policy that is one way you COULD interpret it, but if it is only applicable when best buy is also offering a GC they could do a far better job with the wording of their own policy. I am surprised they don't use that explanation more often when they turn down these type of price matches because it actually at least makes logical sense, although I would still fault them for vague wording.

"The value of an instant gift card with purchase will be considered when calculating a price match. If the combined value of a competitor's product and instant gift card is lower than the combined value of Best Buy's product price and instant gift card, Best Buy will match either the price or the instant gift card value, depending on the offer."

Yeah the guy on the phone seemed kind of put back by it. He mentioned several times that he has done this with I-Pods, etc. from Wal-Mart offering similar and it just seems like something they should do for loyal customers. I waited longer than most would while in the car as he was trying to call to the higher-ups. I just went and got a coffee. He took the time and properly explained it where the woman in the store did everything she could to make me out to be a villain than calmly going over explaining/clarifying the policy.

The manager at the second store mentioned that if it is something like a $300 dollar gift card for a higher priced item that the store has a deal with for a particular model or just something along the lines of that it would be a definite no. He told me $20 for a game that is going to be sold in large numbers everywhere is nothing as it ensures that I will be back to give business to his store.

#304 neotheone007

neotheone007

Posted 16 March 2010 - 05:44 PM

Yeah the guy on the phone seemed kind of put back by it. He mentioned several times that he has done this with I-Pods, etc. from Wal-Mart offering similar and it just seems like something they should do for loyal customers. I waited longer than most would while in the car as he was trying to call to the higher-ups. I just went and got a coffee. He took the time and properly explained it where the woman in the store did everything she could to make me out to be a villain than calmly going over explaining/clarifying the policy.

The manager at the second store mentioned that if it is something like a $300 dollar gift card for a higher priced item that the store has a deal with for a particular model or just something along the lines of that it would be a definite no. He told me $20 for a game that is going to be sold in large numbers everywhere is nothing as it ensures that I will be back to give business to his store.

Actually at my local BB store (where I just spent 30 minutes over this issue) they (the assistant manager and cashier) were claiming the same thing. That its only if best buy were giving a instant gift card. I said to think of it as TRU is giving game + $20 GC and you guys are giving game + $0 GC. But that didn't fly either. Finally the main manager came over, read the policy and just said do it. So I guess I got lucky.

What I am surprised is they called you a Jew over it.

#305 Veridis_Quo

Veridis_Quo

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 March 2010 - 05:51 PM

Had something similar happen to me. I went to BB and tried to PM the game with the TRU ad, manager said they didn't allow it so I decided to school them and tell them to check their store policy online. They read it and slashed $20 off the price. You'd think being managers they would know this by now, but with all the reports here apparently they don't.

#306 Drclaw411

Drclaw411

I miss Cartoon Orbit

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 March 2010 - 06:05 PM

I've just given up dealing with Best Buy and when I want a game with this sort of deal I just go to TRU. Best Buy here always has issues with me when I ask them about PMing giftcards, or TRU B2G1.

#307 Seasick Pirate

Seasick Pirate

Rachael's Superstar

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 March 2010 - 06:29 PM

Just PM'ed mine at Best Buy in Portsmouth, NH no problems. They did ask if I was a Reward Zone member since it was a TrU membership deal. If anyone's interested they have at least 50 copies left and 6 Collector's Editions left at that store.

DCH_Logo%202014_CAG.png

Also on Twitter @ DanCote.Himself

#308 Velo214

Velo214

Baby Lux is Here!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 March 2010 - 06:35 PM

Yeah my day sucks so far. BestBuy denied TRU PM and then TRU was sold out of God of War 3 anyway. Argh. I guess I might still buy at BestBuy this week for the $10 back but idk. It's gonna be an awesome game but maybe I can get it cheap from someone off cl who rushes through it.

#309 blah29

blah29

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 March 2010 - 07:21 PM

My bestbuy in White Plains, NY westchester county, used to price match the TRU gift card deals, but last time with Resident Evil 5 it got really ugly with the store manager. I even showed her a print out of the instore policy printed that very morning, and the best she would do is meet me half way for 10 off.. I even told her just a few weeks ago she pricematched it and tried to pull a fast one on me, saying they didn't pricematch, I had pulled out the instore policy regarding gift cards, and she then said to the other manager that they had another one that morning and to just go ahead and do it again, even though she claimed she didn't know anything about it 5 seconds before. On that last purchase, I got the coroporate office on the 1800 #, and they issued me a $20 refund on my credit card while the manager was there. That was the last purchase I ever made at Best Buy. I would rather spend my money on people who don't try to get out of honoring their own POLICIES! screw them!

#310 flix1

flix1

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 March 2010 - 07:33 PM

Shot down at TWO Best Buy stores. I had each of them read the online policy and one stated that they don't do combo deals and the other said they could not give a gift card and/or sell it to me below cost.

I politely pushed at each store, and in both cases, a manager shot it down.

So, I went to TRU, next door to the 2nd Best Buy, used a $5 off $25 coupon I received with my TRU mastercard, and got GoWIII and a $20 GC for $58.xx including tax.

#311 Bivensra

Bivensra

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 March 2010 - 07:51 PM

I went to BB w/ TRU add and BB policy in hand. At first the cashier did not want to honor and she called a AM. The AM called another mgr and asked if she should take $20 off of the game or give me a gift card. They gave me a gift card which is not a huge issue since I am at BB at least every other week buying cds, games or DVD/blu rays. Today bought GW3, Ninja Assassin blu ray, Princess and the Frog for the wife and kid, and guides for GW3 and GW collection.
"GO YANKEES"

#312 MuckFichigan

MuckFichigan

Posted 16 March 2010 - 07:52 PM

so you think you should get a full refund and keep a 13 dollar gift card even though you returned the game? To prevent getting something for nothing in the event of a return like you did, Toys R Us rings the gift card up for its face value and the game for the remaining amount- in your case $47.00 for the game and 13 for the card, for GOW $40 for the game and 20 for the gift card. Also my toys r us had plenty of GOWs and it was a normal gift card that didnt require waiting to use.

They made me return the gift card though. I paid $64.04 for the game, then returned the game and $13 gift card, which I didn't spend, and only got $51.04 back. How is that right?

#313 caltab

caltab

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 March 2010 - 08:15 PM

They made me return the gift card though. I paid $64.04 for the game, then returned the game and $13 gift card, which I didn't spend, and only got $51.04 back. How is that right?

wow...if that happened that is BS...you shouldn't have given the gift card back- not sure what you can do about it now.

#314 trabbahabba

trabbahabba

Neil Diamond is Cooler Than Us All

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 March 2010 - 08:15 PM

I went to BB w/ TRU add and BB policy in hand. At first the cashier did not want to honor and she called a AM. The AM called another mgr and asked if she should take $20 off of the game or give me a gift card. They gave me a gift card which is not a huge issue since I am at BB at least every other week buying cds, games or DVD/blu rays. Today bought GW3, Ninja Assassin blu ray, Princess and the Frog for the wife and kid, and guides for GW3 and GW collection.

See, they did the same thing for me, and then wouldn't price match it. They brought over the manager and she first said, "we don't match gift cards." I said, "that's not what your store policy says." Then she said, "oh, it's because you have to be a Rewards R Us member."

Meanwhile I was buying Princess and the Frog Combo on Blu-Ray ($26.99), God of War Collection ($29.99), and Final Fantasy XIII ($59.99). I had a 10% off coupon for media, a $10 MFG coupon for Princess and the Frog and a $10 Reward Zone Certificate.

Not that you should have to buy a bunch of items to get a price match, but seriously. I was already spending a ton of money in there as it was.
Posted Image

#315 dumpav

dumpav

Posted 16 March 2010 - 08:45 PM

anyone can confirm if there is any expiration date on these $20 TRU promo giftcard for GOW3?

#316 A Happy Panda

A Happy Panda

not as happy as you think

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 March 2010 - 08:48 PM

anyone can confirm if there is any expiration date on these $20 TRU promo giftcard for GOW3?

No exp. date on mine. I think the only ones with an exp. date are the flimsy papers GCs they had given out in the past, but it seems like they've switched over to the regular plastic GC.

#317 Havok83

Havok83

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 March 2010 - 09:04 PM

anybody want to buy my $20 TRU gift card? I can send the card # (valid for online purchases) in exchange for paypal.
Posted Image

#318 dumpav

dumpav

Posted 16 March 2010 - 09:07 PM

thanks!

#319 Estebon

Estebon

Posted 16 March 2010 - 09:27 PM

Needed to get 2 copies. Got them and $40 GC. Since they did not need 6 hours to activate, I decided to buy one right there and then. Guy asked me why, and I said, I could probably get a good TIV @ GS for it.

So I gave him the 2 $20 GC, paid him an additional $24 bucks and traded it in to GS for $48 bucks. The GS clerk said he was going to keep this for himself. LOL.

#320 DRKnight

DRKnight

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 March 2010 - 09:45 PM

Thanks for the suggestion. Went into BB after work with TRU add and walked out with GOWIII for 40 plus tax. Didn't ask for my rewardzone card, could I enter it manually online to get the 500 bonus points?

#321 Dmonrei

Dmonrei

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 March 2010 - 09:58 PM

I'm glad I ordered my GoW 3 on Amazon, guaranteed copy, $10 promotion + the DLC was too much to pass up. I still went to TRU (there's a store 5 mins away from my job) to hopefully get a copy for my brother in law, but they sold out despite the fact that I went there at 11 AM. According to the associate, they also sold out of 120gb PS3's. My brother in law went to BB and tried to get them to match the deal but they said store policy tells them they cannot match gift card deals.

#322 cobra-05

cobra-05

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 March 2010 - 11:27 PM

So I gave him the 2 $20 GC, paid him an additional $24 bucks and traded it in to GS for $48 bucks. The GS clerk said he was going to keep this for himself. LOL.

Why would you trade $40 in TRU GC and $24 cash for $48 in GS credit?

#323 donut

donut

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 March 2010 - 11:46 PM

Needed to get 2 copies. Got them and $40 GC. Since they did not need 6 hours to activate, I decided to buy one right there and then. Guy asked me why, and I said, I could probably get a good TIV @ GS for it.

I know now it's after 2 pm, but why didn't you pick these up at BBuy with a pm and also get your 500 points per copy?

#324 robotherapy

robotherapy

Posted 17 March 2010 - 01:26 AM

I just got back from BB. Got a $20 GC as a PM no trouble. Sweet.

#325 knightsdwn

knightsdwn

Beautiful Plastic

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 March 2010 - 01:54 AM

My bestbuy in White Plains, NY westchester county, used to price match the TRU gift card deals, but last time with Resident Evil 5 it got really ugly with the store manager. I even showed her a print out of the instore policy printed that very morning, and the best she would do is meet me half way for 10 off.. I even told her just a few weeks ago she pricematched it and tried to pull a fast one on me, saying they didn't pricematch, I had pulled out the instore policy regarding gift cards, and she then said to the other manager that they had another one that morning and to just go ahead and do it again, even though she claimed she didn't know anything about it 5 seconds before. On that last purchase, I got the coroporate office on the 1800 #, and they issued me a $20 refund on my credit card while the manager was there. That was the last purchase I ever made at Best Buy. I would rather spend my money on people who don't try to get out of honoring their own POLICIES! screw them!

Yeah, that BB used to be the spot for price matching but they've cracked down hard recently.

You should try the Mt. Vernon BB if you get a chance. They're usually much nicer to talk to regarding these things.

#326 unopepito06

unopepito06

Posted 17 March 2010 - 02:37 AM

I successfully got my BB (Spokane Valley, WA) to PM God of War 3. The thing is they have always been totally cool with PMing GCs, maybe because less people know about/abuse it, but it was kind of weird: back when MW2 came out, I was able to get the game for $40 (they deducted the GC, like their policy says). Today the girl sold me the game for $60 and gave me a $20 gc. She was nice enought to transfer my preorder from the other store across town (I perordered it there, but there's no TRU out there to match) so I was able to get the game + $20 GC for $58, but when I looked at the reciept, the game rang up at $40, and then she sold me the GC for $20. She could've let me go with just the game for $40, but before ending the transaction she tacked on the GC, and basically made me buy it when I didn't need/want to, but I didn't make a big deal out of it cuz my dad bought some cds which used the majority of the card, then he gave me cash back for it, so I still saved 20 bucks.

Also, they may not fight me on it cuz I'm literally in there ALL the time, and I'm a silver member. I assume I still got the 500 bonus points...

#327 SkylineChili4Me

SkylineChili4Me

CAG with Cheese, Please!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 March 2010 - 02:53 AM

My fascist BB (Strongsville, OH) denied me on the TRU gift card price match, which wasn't surprising given their history. But the way that they tried to stick me with a spider-webbed copy (the cashier insisted that every copy they had was security-wrapped; I had to actually point behind her to where there was a shelf full of perfect copies) and then were just plain rude about it ("Other stores do these? Well, they shouldn't. But maybe you should have just gone to that one.") means that I'm probably going to call the 800 number to bitch as a RZ Silver member.

But on the plus side, I was able to buy a severely beat-up (spider-webbed) Bioshock II for $50 and then return it immediately using the receipt from the pristine one that I bought on release date.

#328 jmillion

jmillion

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 March 2010 - 03:40 AM

after reading the success stories and fails. i will be calling consumer relations again and read them their policies and see what they said. its crazy too cuz my usual BB i go to used to always do it. i did it 2x in one shot for Modern Warfare2. even the same manager did it. i told he did it for me b4 and he looked @ me like i was crazy. i wish i had the policy printed out in hand. and usually i dont make a big deal out of this but act like it was never done b4 and went to two different BBs and called consumer relations and told same thing. i didnt read them the policies tho. if it doesnt work. oh well. gow3 is greatness tho lol

Edited by jmillion, 17 March 2010 - 04:05 AM.

Posted Image

#329 Estebon

Estebon

Posted 17 March 2010 - 04:54 AM

I know now it's after 2 pm, but why didn't you pick these up at BBuy with a pm and also get your 500 points per copy?

Because I got my UE there for $70. Thats going to stay sealed.

#330 Estebon

Estebon

Posted 17 March 2010 - 04:55 AM

Why would you trade $40 in TRU GC and $24 cash for $48 in GS credit?

I would rather have the GS credit for the upcoming B2G1 free. TRU B2G1 free won't be until october.