Android games ongoing sales.

Tagged! Yes I agree Abduction is great. Shoot U!, Flight Director and I.N.F. are all great too. There are lite versions for all of them.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Stark Rhavyn']Isn't just called Droid? Not "Android"? Or am I mistaken?[/QUOTE]

Android is the name of Google's operating system. In general, phones that use it may be referred to as "android phones." The Droid is a specific handset by Motorolla which does use the android operating system.

[quote name='Stark Rhavyn']Isn't just called Droid? Not "Android"? Or am I mistaken?[/QUOTE]

Android is the OS on the phone. "Droid" refers to the Motorola Droid released on the Verizon Network.

~sidenote: AT&T has really decided to fuck all people deciding to switch to Android phones on their network.

71-androidyahoo-150x150.jpg
One of the best things about Android is the deep integration with Google’s apps. If you’re a Gmail, Google Docs or Google Calendar user, there’s no doubt that Android is the way to go. Well, the geniuses at AT&T decided that Android is way too Googley for their taste. They decided to take the Google out of Google Android. Thus, AT&T’s first Android phone -the Backflip- is deprived of a lot of that Google integration.

The Backflip will be the first Android phone to have Yahoo as the default search engine. Everywhere you’ll go to do a web search that giant violet logo will be waiting for you. Engadget was as shocked as us:
“Yahoo has replaced Google as the default search provider throughout the phone. It’s crazy: the home screen widget, the browser, everything’s been programmed to use Yahoo. We love us some irony, but golly, we’d prefer Google searches most of the time.”
There’s a good and bad side to this story: On the good side, this is what Android is all about, anybody is free to anything they want to it. I don’t think there’s much Google can do to fight this, these issues come with the freedom of the OS. On the bad side, AT&T is making the choice for us by making Yahoo the default search engine. Also, there doesn’t seem to be an easy way to switch over to Google as the search engine. To make matters worse, they filled the phone with AT&T branded crapware

• [*]AllSport GPS
    [*]AT&T Maps
    [*]AT&T Music
    [*]AT&T Navigator
    [*]AT&T Wi-Fi Hotspots
    [*]Mobile Banking
    [*]MobiTV
    [*]MusicID
    [*]Where
    [*]YPmobile
The motives for AT&T doing this are still unclear. We’re not even completely sure that it was AT&T’s decision to replace Google and not Motorola’s. But seeing as all other MotoBlur devices have Google included, we’re going to go ahead and blame this on AT&T. It’s not like they don’t have a million reasons to do this. AT&T and Google are not exactly best buddies; maybe they’re trying not to get caught in the crossfire between Apple and Google. The Backflip itself is not a bad phone; you can watch our hands on here. However, we recommend you wait and see what else AT&T has coming down the pike.

i have a HTC Magic aka MYtouch 3g. Im getting really impatient that both havent put out 2.0 for magic users yet....but whatever. Stickied this one also. im enjoying ShootU!, Magical Drop Touch, alpamixr.

[quote name='AionTelos']I had a droid, then traded it in, not as fun as I was hoping D:[/QUOTE]

Ditto , I then went to the Nexus , once again wasnt feelin it , now I am back to trusty iPhone :applause:

[quote name='brewin']Dude, I downloaded Jewels and my girl wont give me my damn phone back! Buyer beware![/QUOTE]

Same damn story for me. And it's only the lite version!

I haven't taken the plunge yet and bought any android games but I've gotten some freebies for my Droid Eris, as far as free games go there is a solid light racer game, as well as bonsai blast and I've found SameDroid to be a good time killer. Its a shame right now there is nothing comparable to what the iPhone has but I'm hopeful

coalman987, The iPhone has two advantages.
1) Been on the market longer.
2) The ability to store and run an application from SDHC memory.

Even with the Nexus One doubling the memory of the Droid, it doesn't provide enough for the same level of quality of graphics and sound as the iPhone. While the concept of the Android OS is to be lite and portable, that feature will eventually be its downfall. Hopefully the phone makers will press for SDHC application storage and launching and quit worrying about the download and install times of market applications.

I got these on my Nexus One.
Beatdown Boxing $3.99
Droid Breakout 2 weeks sale at $3.50
FarmFrenzy £3.00
Jewellust $2.95
Robo Defense $2.99 also a free trial version
Radiant £1.50 also a free triall version available

free:
Bebbled
Cestos
Labyrinth

[quote name='tominater12']Since I just a android phone[/QUOTE]
Make sure you don't accidentally the whole thing, though.

Nexus One here. Came from a rooted G1.

Robo Defense is the best. Yz free is a great Yahtzee clone. And jewels is great too.

Great topic, OP!

I have the Droid Eris by HTC and absolutely love the thing. I wish it had better games, so I'm hoping this thread enlightens me on some I may have missed.

I own a Samsung Moment. Really dig the phone and have found some good apps, but the games lack the same polish as the iPhone games like Sword & Poker.

Honorable mention(s):

Archipelago
Buka Lite
WordUp!

The games aren't as good because they can only use the integrated memory on the phone, and not an SD card... usually around 512MB in total. Which really brings them down. I hope SD cards will be implemented in the future so we can get stuff on the touch's level.

This isn't a game, but I think it's worth sharing. EasyTether is a fantastic little program that allows tethering of pretty much any Android device. It's on sale for $9.95 until March 5. There's a free Lite version to try as well, and I found it works great. This is going to be a great asset for when I travel--no more crappy hotel Internet service.

[quote name='Skull One']coalman987, The iPhone has two advantages.

Even with the Nexus One doubling the memory of the Droid, it doesn't provide enough for the same level of quality of graphics and sound as the iPhone. While the concept of the Android OS is to be lite and portable, that feature will eventually be its downfall. Hopefully the phone makers will press for SDHC application storage and launching and quit worrying about the download and install times of market applications.[/QUOTE]

Ummm Wrong..

#1: err ya that right

#2: While certain versions of Android do not allow this, that is the key, ALLOW, its very possilble and mch like the Iphone, the Android phones do not come into there own till they rooted (jailbroke for the Iphone people). Android OS lets you do it, but atm you cant without rooting the phone. This was done so widespread Pirateing wasnt done. SO yes, you are correct in the fact you cant out of the box, but you can if you want. You can store "anything" on the SD card, be it the app or its data. This is always the Iphones camps big "bad item". WHile I agree, its a negative, and a pretty big one, 95% of users will never run out of space (except the ones who keep apps that they dont use, or collect apps like nick nacks). I had my Iphone a few years, and my droid now has almost the same exact amount of apps on it and my storage isnt even half used yet. And as i say, you can use the SD card for it (rooted), and there is talk it may become the norm. Only time will tell.

From my reading before the Droids came out (my memory may be bad) the Droid and Iphone use the same "brain" (cpu) so speed is pretty much the same. The Droids have a a higher res screen (made by the same people who do the Iphone one, so they "should" be basicly the same but the Droid has higher res.

But to games, Amregeddon is pretty good, 3d WWII plane game
Raging Thunder: good 3D racing game
Wave Blaster: good 3d boat racing game
Toon Warz: intersting (notice i didnt say good, its a bit hard to control) 3d FPS
Labyrinth: the old wood maze with a steel ball, fun
Robo Defence: Tower defence
FRG: top down shooter (commando sorta)

and of course if you got it beofre it was removed, DOOM/QUAKE.....

Most of the emu's work pretty well too for genesis, Nes...

2) The ability to store and run an application from SDHC memory.[/QUOTE]

I'm a happy iPhone 3GS user, but the iPhone does not have an SDHC slot, and never has. It only has internal memory, currently up to 32 GB.

[quote name='carpwrist']
Archipelago
[/QUOTE]

Only game I've bought.

Wish they'd update the AI tho.

Good concept, but simple strategy once you figure it out.

[quote name='jgiovanni']*LINK REMOVED*

has alot of free programs for the android.

Check it out[/QUOTE]

I thought CAG doesn't allow promotion of piracy.

As an early adopter and Android developer, I'm very very happy with what Google is doing and I disagree that the "life" of Android depends on games. Android will easily overtake iPhone OS for the simple fact that anyone can implement it into their products. Before long, the install base of Android will dwarf that of the iPhone which in turn will have bigger developers looking at it more seriously.

Also, google will be handing out Droids and Nexus Ones next week at GDC, getting the phone into the hands of some real pros.

The iPhone goes beyond what a phone *should* for gaming, and thats great, but as a phone and an open environment, there's nothing lacking on Android at all. If I want a deep gaming experience I reach for my DS.. any games on the Android are fine to keep me occupied while I wait for a table at a restaurant or something like that. I don't expect more from a phone.

[quote name='smoger']I thought CAG doesn't allow promotion of piracy.

As an early adopter and Android developer, I'm very very happy with what Google is doing and I disagree that the "life" of Android depends on games. Android will easily overtake iPhone OS for the simple fact that anyone can implement it into their products. Before long, the install base of Android will dwarf that of the iPhone which in turn will have bigger developers looking at it more seriously.

Also, google will be handing out Droids and Nexus Ones next week at GDC, getting the phone into the hands of some real pros.

The iPhone goes beyond what a phone *should* for gaming, and thats great, but as a phone and an open environment, there's nothing lacking on Android at all. If I want a deep gaming experience I reach for my DS.. any games on the Android are fine to keep me occupied while I wait for a table at a restaurant or something like that. I don't expect more from a phone.[/QUOTE]

Has freeware programs. I am not advocating piracy, but then again, I'm not keeping anyone on a leash either.

Cestos, Parallel Kingdom, and Sketch Online are all free and all fantastic. PK is a mmo that uses google maps and is extremely fun.

Bebbled
Flood it (great girlfriend game, although its hard to get the phone back)
Jewels
SNESoid - (great emulator for RPG's, find that these are the best games for a phone)
Fun Towers (tri-towers clone from bar touch screen machines, towers in yahoo games i think)

Support open standards and the programmers that develop for them.

Wish there was Secret of monkey island for android. I would be all over that.

hmmm,.. not sure why my post was deleted since i removed his link when i quoted him(and the rest of the post contributed to the topic)

ah well.

One of my favs from the beginning is Trapped.. kinda like jezzball on windows but with powerups.. simple and really fun

mem is a good game, it's basically simon says. very simply but a good way to get rid of 5-10 minutes when you're in need. i play it on the mytouch, if that matters any.

[quote name='Mokilicious']How is the Nexus One? Is it worth the price?[/QUOTE]

I love it, and working in IT and using my Phone more than almost any other piece of technology was enough for me to plunk down $529 + tax for one. I love my rooted G1 but the processor definitely struggles to keep up at times. And did I mention how nice the screen is. Man is it pretty.

Even with the Nexus One doubling the memory of the Droid, it doesn't provide enough for the same level of quality of graphics and sound as the iPhone. While the concept of the Android OS is to be lite and portable, that feature will eventually be its downfall. Hopefully the phone makers will press for SDHC application storage and launching and quit worrying about the download and install times of market applications.[/QUOTE]I don't know what planet you live on, but on Earth the iPhone doesn't even have an SD card reader built-in.

[quote name='AznKid']I don't know what planet you live on, but on Earth the iPhone doesn't even have an SD card reader built-in.[/QUOTE]

I think everyone's misinterpreting his comment. With most Android phones you're limited to game storage on the internal 512mb of memory. You cannot store games on an external SDHC card on any Android phone (that I know of). Meaning all of your apps on the iPhone are stored on the internal Flash Memory of the phone. I'm pretty sure that's what he meant by it.

[quote name='integralsmatic']i have a HTC Magic aka MYtouch 3g. Im getting really impatient that both havent put out 2.0 for magic users yet....but whatever. Stickied this one also. im enjoying ShootU!, Magical Drop Touch, alpamixr.[/QUOTE]

All android phones are getting android 2.1 buy the middle of this year so yah. ( I also just got myself the new mytouch 3g with twice the ram.)

Also please do not mention things like nesoid or snesoid because even though they can be legal the only way they are is if you own the original game and in most cases people don't. Also found a awesome new games called pinball and Gem miner.

[quote name='Zachbeast']Cestos, Parallel Kingdom, and Sketch Online are all free and all fantastic. PK is a mmo that uses google maps and is extremely fun.[/QUOTE]

Cestos! This game rocks! Plus It's multiplayer so you play with random people or friends.

No love for the HTC Hero? I wish the Supersonic was out already, but I can't wait so I had to settle with the Hero with only 512mhz...I want that Snapdragon!

[quote name='tominater12']All android phones are getting android 2.1 buy the middle of this year so yah. ( I also just got myself the new mytouch 3g with twice the ram.)[/QUOTE]

I've read that the G1 will not as it doesn't have the memory to run the 2.0 or higher kernel?
I hope you are right tho.

I follow android news pretty closely because I develop for it, and I've never heard confirmation that *all* android phones are getting 2.0 or 2.1. It all depends on the carrier, what the hardware can handle, and simply if they feel like releasing it. Some phones aren't even on 1.6 yet.

bread's done
Back