CAGcast #190: World of Duty

• Please log in to reply
210 replies to this topic

#181 Wolfpup

Wolfpup

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 March 2010 - 04:16 PM

Wow thanks for the show guys Im looking forward to picking up Bioshock 1 now. Im glad I dont need to jump on Bioshock 2, awesome show thanks

Oh wow, you don't have Bioshock 1 yet? Well you're in for a treat then. Still one of the best games this gen, and I don't even like it as well as System Shock 2.

I was referring to the previous week's episode, when I think you said something along the lines of "the people who're complaining about the DRM are those who were probably going to pirate anyway", which does makes it seem like the legitimate customers don't care about the DRM (which they do, of course). I know it was probably just a slip-up in terms of how you were answering the question (and heck, give anyone a live microphone to speak into long enough and they're bound to have something like that - I know I would!), but I just figured I'd point out (probably) why the vitriol were flowing. :)

Yeah, it seemed pretty clear cut to me-if that's not what Wombat meant, it couldn't have come out worse. Not that I'm always perfectly clear :lol:
Please help cure diseases like cancer and Parkinson's by running Folding @ Home! :)
Recent games, Netflix Scale:
[LIST]

Posted Image

#182 Curufinwe

Curufinwe

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 March 2010 - 04:39 PM

Well it's already happening... an action adventure Call of Duty game? Ugh.

God of Warfare. :lol:

I think the credit for that belongs to Vinny from Giant Bomb.

Curufinwe5503.png? Curufinwe.jpg

#183 Decepticreep

Decepticreep

Rule of Acquis. 16

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 March 2010 - 09:15 PM

Wombat, please stop busting Cheapy's balls when he tells a story that has already been told once or twice on the show before. You guys are on almost 200 episodes and not every new listener goes back to older episodes, so those stories are new to them. I believe in radio its called resetting. (I might be wrong about that though.) Anyways, good show guys.

#184 retromufc

retromufc

Posted 08 March 2010 - 09:39 PM

Remember this GoW 2 ad fiasco? Good times.

http://ps2.ign.com/a...4/784404p1.html

Sony has no clue how to promote a system selling game.

#185 tieegg

tieegg

Posted 09 March 2010 - 12:52 AM

Hey Cag gang, Enjoyed the show and wanted to cash in on that contest deal.

also wanted to say that Toy Soldiers is awesome and the second avatar award you unlock is a Pickelhaube (the German helmet with a spike). A couple other things, after you beat the game you can play as the Germans in essentially the same levels. Also try out Elite difficulty if you own the game, but be warned your turrets dont fire automatically. It's all manual.

Also, Mrs. Shipwreck is hot

Love
Asian Joe
I survived the great Sock Crisis of '09

Shoot bad guys!
~The Incredible Edible Egg

#186 sigmajt

sigmajt

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 March 2010 - 02:38 AM

Like the show, but show some more PC love I'm in my 30's and I'd venture to say many people in this range and older got started gaming on the PC. My TI-994a was a gaming dream rig. dos games on a 286/386/486 was what my childhood ran on.
Shipwreck is a douche for not knowing about King's Quest ;-) Activision should pay those guys to develop the game. God knows they will never make one.
Wombat is a douche for being blatantly anti PC. There are games out there DRM free that do just fine because they are good games. Sins of a solar empire comes to mind. You don't need to cripple a game to the point of being unplayable for fear of piracy, make the game good and people will buy it.
Furthermore early "DRM" was awesome I remember King's Quest and Return to Zork had Actual manuals (thick and full of story) where you were interested in reading the lore behind the game and they quizzed you on it for DRM. Also alone in the dark had a book that you basically had to choose what image was on page 32 or 64 or whatver.
/end rant

#187 Curufinwe

Curufinwe

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 March 2010 - 04:52 AM

Sony has no clue how to promote a system selling game.

Gran Turismo says hello 55 million times.

http://www.mcvuk.com...o-sales-top-55m

Curufinwe5503.png? Curufinwe.jpg

#188 ianoid

ianoid

5me77i.us!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 March 2010 - 01:44 PM

Cheapy's dorkiest moment on the CAGcast: "You see Robocop 1 and it's a life changing experience."

Cheapy, whether you have a kid will be up to your wife.

Wombat's best moment on the show: "I guess I'll go get started."

King's Quest is (was) awesome, and check out my auctions.

On the retro-PC Gaming tip, did any of you guys play Sundog or the Ultima games? I pretty much blew my turn-based RPG load playing Ultima I-VI. I have never played a Final Fantasy game for more than 20 minutes because of that. And a few comments about Lord British, please. Geek or (game) God or both?

I skipped the Mass Effect 2 spoiler part. I'm still trying to get through Mass Effect. I have kids and it takes me forever to get through games. I just got back into Fallout 3 expansions.

And a few comments about piracy. Piracy is bad for the industry, obviously. I just can't believe that every person who pirates 20 games would have actually bought those 20 PC games. Let alone 20 new PC games. The ratio is probably worse than 20 to 1 of games pirated to games that 'pirates' could have played. Pirated games do not convert evenly into game sales.

#189 zoward

zoward

Poster boy for irresponsible gaming

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 March 2010 - 02:26 PM

Based on Cheapy's comment on the CAGCast, I'm going to try to reserve judgement on Activision, but it's hard to do; every time Bobby Kotick opens his mouth in public my opinion of Activision drops another notch.

Great show, guys!

#190 morfar

morfar

Posted 09 March 2010 - 02:59 PM

Nice show.

Wombat should really stop talking pc gaming. While he is definately right in saying you Shouldnt use the drm as an excuse to pirate, its really actually irrelevant. What matters is that its really annoying, and giving the paying people the worst version.

Oh, and of course they make the pc version because they make money on it.. Theyd just make more if Noone could pirate it.

#191 JAlbertL

JAlbertL

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 March 2010 - 05:48 PM

Are you really never going to play Heavy Rain Cheapy? I haven't played Mass Effect 2 yet so I didn't listen to the second part of the show. Is it everything you wanted and more Wombat?

#192 Wolfpup

Wolfpup

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 March 2010 - 05:58 PM

Yeah, I forgot to mention that I really liked how they separated out the Mass Effect part-I REALLY want to avoid spoilers, so that's much appreciated.
Please help cure diseases like cancer and Parkinson's by running Folding @ Home! :)
[LIST]

Posted Image

#193 CozmoKhan

CozmoKhan

Go Blackhawks!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 March 2010 - 06:24 PM

Great show, as always.
Glad to hear that I'm not the only one that understands Robocop 2 for what it is.
When I first heard you guys were going to spoil Mass Effect 2, I was nervous. Thanks for stealing from Joystiq. Their "spoiled rotten" section is much appreciated for games that I want to play, but haven't. As well as for games I couldn't care about. Like Heavy Rain.

#194 lebkin

lebkin

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 March 2010 - 09:21 PM

I like this advice from Wombat: if you don't like the DRM of Assassin's Creed 2, don't buy it.

Go spend your money on games that have much more tolerant/no DRM.

#195 MassiveDuck

MassiveDuck

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 March 2010 - 11:36 PM

great show, as always.

I also go to use the godaddy coupon code finally. so thanks for that!

#196 terpkristin

terpkristin

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 March 2010 - 12:49 AM

I think the main story of DRM, which hasn't been articulated well on the 'casts so far, is that DRM mostly (if not only) punishes those that go through legal routes to get and play games. The DRM in question was cracked within 24 hours, if I'm not mistaken, and then totally screwed over people this past weekend when the DRM servers went down, locking people out of not only multiplayer but single-player experiences.

On the flip side, of course, I think we're to a point where DRM is everywhere and I'm not sure there's a way around it. It seems different in PC games, as there has usually been some form of DRM on those, but in many other mediums (media?), people won't license their stuff to sell digitally (music, movies, books, for example) without some form of DRM. Kind of a catch-22 if you're the guy trying to sell stuff, but not the license holder. There have been many examples in music and e-books where free, non-DRM versions have actually promoted more legitimate sales than anticipated, but I think all that does is encourage people to pay for things that are good (and I've not heard of any stories of it working that way per se with video games).

Other than that, good show guys. I know others like longer shows, but I've said it before and I'll say it again, your best shows seem to be those that last about 90 minutes, tops (I didn't listen to the ME2 stuff). Did any of you guys pick up any of the new releases this week (Battlefield or Final Fantasy)? Will any of you pick up GoW III or Pokemon next week?

/tk
terpkristin
Find me on XBLA and PSN as terpkristin
Wii: 4059 1919 9282 7625
Now Playing: trying to go through the stack of games...
Trying to update the blog regularly.. http://gimpygal.blogspot.com
http://kristin.seidelmann-owners.com/

#197 dohmai

dohmai

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 March 2010 - 04:00 AM

Robocop 3 was the best because of the ninja robots.

No?

#198 FriskyTanuki

FriskyTanuki

Get bopped, son.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 March 2010 - 04:35 AM

Concerning the $85 Heavy Rain, how much did you play the $200 band kit for The Beatles: Rock Band?

Why would the God of War Collection have been better off coming out a year before God of War III and not a few months before to build hype? Putting it out that early just makes it easier for them to forget about the sequel and not care about it, but they staggered the release of the demo with the Collection and other avenues to help keep the game in people's minds for the last few months before the game came out. I definitely don't agree with the notion that God of War II should've been rushed for the PS3's launch rather than coming for the PS2 that could be played by both PS3 and PS2 owners when it launched.

MLB 10: The Show would be a good game for Cheapy to get because he can play selfishly in the career mode and can cut out all of your defensive or base-running parts if you just want to focus on batting.

I thought Wombat's avatar was wearing some new bondage mask when I saw it on my XBL friends list. Wombat continues his stupidity by saying Chime is a bad game. It's a good music/puzzle game that's relaxing to play.

The Aquaman game was renamed Endless Ocean and became a Wii exclusive.

Good show. You should certainly do more extended segments on games you've played.

#199 butaneko

butaneko

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 March 2010 - 03:16 PM

"World of Duty" still makes me chuckle a week later.

#200 kingkiller33

kingkiller33

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 March 2010 - 04:32 PM

Like the show, but show some more PC love I'm in my 30's and I'd venture to say many people in this range and older got started gaming on the PC. My TI-994a was a gaming dream rig. dos games on a 286/386/486 was what my childhood ran on.
Shipwreck is a douche for not knowing about King's Quest ;-) Activision should pay those guys to develop the game. God knows they will never make one.
Wombat is a douche for being blatantly anti PC. There are games out there DRM free that do just fine because they are good games. Sins of a solar empire comes to mind. You don't need to cripple a game to the point of being unplayable for fear of piracy, make the game good and people will buy it.
Furthermore early "DRM" was awesome I remember King's Quest and Return to Zork had Actual manuals (thick and full of story) where you were interested in reading the lore behind the game and they quizzed you on it for DRM. Also alone in the dark had a book that you basically had to choose what image was on page 32 or 64 or whatver.
/end rant

I am fed up with the PC gaming hate as well. PC gamers get to enjoy the best graphical experience of a game as well as their own exclusive titles. The Total War series and Dawn of War are excellent titles that console players miss out on. Torchlight was great last year, and we have Starcraft 2 to look forward too. Also another Command and Conquer is coming out!

If the game is good, people will buy, and build mods for it. Case in point, Half Life 2 which came out on PC years before Orange Box. Mods are free on PC, Xbox charges you for everything.

#201 Wolfpup

Wolfpup

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 March 2010 - 04:34 PM

Plus PCs are more portable...hee hee :lol:
[LIST]

Posted Image

#202 kingkiller33

kingkiller33

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 March 2010 - 04:35 PM

Shipwreck's criticism of Bioshock 2 annoys me. Oh it's a great game, but it doesn't have the magic of the first one. It is an unfair shot at the game because it is impossible to recapture the magic of the first. No sequel can do this. Just comes across as an extremely nitpicky criticism.

#203 sinewav

sinewav

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 March 2010 - 06:58 PM

Dear Wombat,

Since you wouldn't let go of the whole Assassin's Creed II DRM controversy I feel compelled to raise a point that you might want to consider before continuing to ride your high horse. You see there are a legitimate group of people who are getting screwed because of Ubisoft's new DRM and they are US soldiers in remote army base camps. For troops in Afghanastan, Iraq, etc where access to the internet is limited if not expensive and having a scheme where you always must be connected is not only unfair but a crappy thing to do to our troops. Granted they are not a large % of the user base but symbolically they are sending a bad message to a user base that makes for bad PR.

On the same note I heard that the PC version of Battlefield 2 offers two options, a disc-checking DRM and disc-free internet-based DRM option. I think this would have been the best option for ACII as it would have been a best of both worlds choice for the consumer, the people who this game was made for.

Edited by sinewav, 10 March 2010 - 07:11 PM.

#204 Wombat

Wombat

CAGcast or nothin

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 March 2010 - 08:50 PM

Dear Wombat,

Since you wouldn't let go of the whole Assassin's Creed II DRM controversy I feel compelled to raise a point that you might want to consider before continuing to ride your high horse. You see there are a legitimate group of people who are getting screwed because of Ubisoft's new DRM and they are US soldiers in remote army base camps. For troops in Afghanastan, Iraq, etc where access to the internet is limited if not expensive and having a scheme where you always must be connected is not only unfair but a crappy thing to do to our troops. Granted they are not a large % of the user base but symbolically they are sending a bad message to a user base that makes for bad PR.

On the same note I heard that the PC version of Battlefield 2 offers two options, a disc-checking DRM and disc-free internet-based DRM option. I think this would have been the best option for ACII as it would have been a best of both worlds choice for the consumer, the people who this game was made for.

I never said I agreed with it, I just I understood why they did something. I was never on a high horse and "not let it go", I said one sentence about it in the last show. I don't work for Ubi and can't change the DRM. That's awful about the troops but I can't change that. It is also one game out of thousands, and a game that if you or I never played we wouldn't really miss anything. I fail to see your point. Ubi did something and I gave my opinion on why they did it.

So I'll say it again, if you don't like the DRM, don't buy the game, but don't pirate it either. Buy something else. Maybe Battlefield.

#205 just-joe

just-joe

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 March 2010 - 09:18 PM

Just started listening to the show last week, and I love it. You've gained one more subscriber on itunes. This show is better than 10 Super Bowls.

#206 ch3zyp00fs

ch3zyp00fs

CAGcast Groupie.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 March 2010 - 11:36 PM

http://video.google....27023396227609#

NHL Street would be fantastic. Hell Backyard Wrestling got a game before this did... heck, I think it got 2!
Use the Swagbucks Google Search Engine and Win Prizes with me! Click the banner and lets get points and FREE SWAG!

Posted Image

#207 sinewav

sinewav

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 March 2010 - 11:51 PM

I never said I agreed with it, I just I understood why they did something. I was never on a high horse and "not let it go", I said one sentence about it in the last show. I don't work for Ubi and can't change the DRM. That's awful about the troops but I can't change that. It is also one game out of thousands, and a game that if you or I never played we wouldn't really miss anything. I fail to see your point. Ubi did something and I gave my opinion on why they did it.

So I'll say it again, if you don't like the DRM, don't buy the game, but don't pirate it either. Buy something else. Maybe Battlefield.

Your beliefs and our perception are not always the same. I recall you made the argument that you couldn't see how anyone doesn't have internet access and I just brought up a perfectly valid case. I agree voting with your wallet is the best approach to this not pirating. My main point is that often times on the show you make statements as if they were fact and don't even consider the possibility that it may be more of an assumption.

#208 maobao

maobao

Posted 11 March 2010 - 02:25 AM

I believe Wombat #2 will be the next to come, for shipwreck tell him to start baking that ginger creation!
Overall the show was pleasant and this time around CheapyD you were not taking any of Wombats shit and cutting him down left and right. I found this very hilarious and a good show!

#209 Jesus' Bush

Jesus' Bush

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 March 2010 - 03:40 AM

Good show. Halo Reach looks like some bullshit again. I like blunts.

#210 jtdragon

jtdragon

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 March 2010 - 08:32 PM

Nice show guys!