Toys R Us (TRU) Clearance Thread II

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
1085 replies to this topic

#31 GLOCKGLOCK

GLOCKGLOCK

Too many games...

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 March 2010 - 04:27 PM

Nice work FoS! Glad to see you taking the reins on this one. I am predicting a success similar to what we have in the Target thread for the new TrU thread!

I know some people are against an updated OP, but I prefer having something updated within a few days of a drop. I agree that it is a good tactic to not post drops in the OP prior to them actually happening, but once they are confirmed I think it is fair game to post them.

As for lurkers or people from other sites stealing the info, that is going to happen regardless. As with any deal, if you want to get in on it, you have to show up the day of the drop. If you don't and you miss out on the deal then you have nobody to blame but yourself.

Let's go Pens!

#32 Z(+)DIAC

Z(+)DIAC

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 March 2010 - 04:30 PM

For the love of God someone give FoS an award already...

Seriously, good luck in your endeavor.
Posted Image

#33 Scorch

Scorch

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 March 2010 - 04:32 PM

Hey guys...I was contacted by TRU with the request that remove "Official" from the thread title name to prevent any potential confusion that this was actually an "Official" TRU thread.

hahahahahahahahaha

TRU sucks.

Posted Image

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#34 SonictheHedgehog1337

SonictheHedgehog1337

That guy with the creepy signature

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 March 2010 - 04:38 PM

Hey guys...I was contacted by TRU with the request that remove "Official" from the thread title name to prevent any potential confusion that this was actually an "Official" TRU thread.

Yes, it sounds silly to me but I told them we would comply. Carry on!

I find it interesting that they watch these message boards so closely. I would too if I were them.

#35 irishsoccermbw

irishsoccermbw

Prosecution Rests

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 March 2010 - 04:42 PM

FoS you must be either a 75 year old retiree or a teenage high school dropout to have the time to run both clearance threads.

#36 Gregalor

Gregalor

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 March 2010 - 05:12 PM

hahahahahahahahaha

TRU sucks.

Eh, whatever. The legal system's a bitch.

#37 Friend of Sonic

Friend of Sonic

Toneman.org coming soon..

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 March 2010 - 05:21 PM

FoS you must be either a 75 year old retiree or a teenage high school dropout to have the time to run both clearance threads.

I just manage my time well. ;)

Hey, I tried the new format I proposed in the OP. I saved the old one in the word pad. I like how condensed it is... but it seems... I dunno... crowded or something. Check it out guys and let me know how you think (and especially iPhone/mobile users, to see if it's easy to read when on the go-- and hispanic users, let me know if you can read the list)
You hurt the right person and you're wrong for life.

#38 arcane93

arcane93

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 March 2010 - 05:30 PM

Personally, I liked the way that you had it formatted more when you had it broken down by system. TRU doesn't shelve their games by price (well, except for the occasional bin, but that's the exception and the markdowns are obvious there), it shelves them by system.

I'm mostly thinking in terms of when I'm standing in TRU looking at the list on my phone -- if it's listed by system, then when I'm standing in, say, the DS section, I can see all of the DS drops at once. If it's listed by price, then I have to check down through each price section for the DS games.

I also would expect it to be a bit easier to maintain by system, as when something drops further, you won't have to scroll back and forth quite as much to move it.

As far as phone visibility goes, my only comment would be that the yellow on the SKUs is extremely difficult to read against the light grey background that the mobile site uses (same problem on the Target thread, actually). Other than that, looks great!

Thanks FoS for all of your work!

#39 Confucius

Confucius

Corporate Shill

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 March 2010 - 05:32 PM

I agree with arcane on the sorting.

I'm mostly looking at titles by system. Plus, if the price changes, you'd have to resort.

Ees7Y.jpg

I'm 100% shocked that books still exist in today's day and age. I thought they'd be out by now. They make up like 1% of today's entertainment and unless you're 60 or older, stray away from books and start emersing yourself with real entertainment.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Codes for Free / Codes for Trade

#40 Friend of Sonic

Friend of Sonic

Toneman.org coming soon..

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 March 2010 - 05:38 PM

I agree with you guys, as far my preference goes for updating and looking at the list. I like having it broken down by system. There was a couple of people who chimed in saying they liked the proposed idea too. So, I'll think about it for a moment, but right now the OP looks... fugly with all of the system emoticons and lines of text smashed together.

And I know that yellow text has been a complaint for a while. I keep meaning to fix it, but always forget. I'll definitely do something about that for both threads.

EDIT: Restored the OP. Sorry if anyone liked the new format, or didn't get to see it. I wanted to try something different from the Target thread, but I think the old way is really best, if I had to pick between the two.

EDIT 2: Switched to a gold color for the SKU. Let me know how this works on iPhone/mobile device.

Edited by Friend of Sonic, 12 March 2010 - 05:55 PM.

You hurt the right person and you're wrong for life.

#41 arcane93

arcane93

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 March 2010 - 06:45 PM

EDIT 2: Switched to a gold color for the SKU. Let me know how this works on iPhone/mobile device.

It's definitely better, though it's still pretty light. Readable, though.

Also, the "LemonChiffon" (that's a color? really?) text used on the system names is pretty close to invisible -- fortunately it's still possible to see which system is which with the system emoticons next to them.

Basically, because the mobile site uses a very light background, no light colors are going to show up well. Really, what would be most preferable would be for Cheapy to change the background colors on the mobile version to match those of the main site, since this is a problem anywhere on the site where people use light-colored text, but I've messaged him about it in the past and never gotten a response. :cry:

#42 jgm

jgm

Posted 12 March 2010 - 06:56 PM

Actually, I like the format how you have it now. It does seem a little less cluttered and easier to view on a mobile.

#43 salty tbone

salty tbone

Flipmode Squad

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 March 2010 - 06:58 PM

Looking good. Don't forget the DS prices, though. :)
[URL="http://www.goozex.com/trading/asp/goozexprofile.asp?id=558134175419"][/URL]

#44 Traitorious

Traitorious

Shunts to the face

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 March 2010 - 07:16 PM

I find it interesting that they watch these message boards so closely. I would too if I were them.

I'm sure a lot of companies do actually. Whether or not it's the top brass, marketing, or pricing teams is in doubt; though I wouldn't be surprised if the online/website teams for retail companies regularly check CAG.

#45 sprintfinanceguy

sprintfinanceguy

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 March 2010 - 07:52 PM

Thanks for the new thread... I hadn't been checking the TRU for a while. Time to stop in and see what I can pillage. Appreciate all your efforts in both threads FoS!
Check My Trade Lists!

Guides: http://www.cheapassg...t=175548&page=8

Games: (coming soon)

#46 RelentlessRolento

RelentlessRolento

Conversation Comedy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 March 2010 - 08:01 PM

yay new fave thread of mine!

#47 Gregalor

Gregalor

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 March 2010 - 08:13 PM

What are the pixel art things made out of, anyway? Are they those plastic rings that you put together and then iron? They look like it, but I was just wondering.

#48 phear3d

phear3d

NorAm = Fraud

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 March 2010 - 08:14 PM

was spray ever on clearance at tru?

#49 VashandWolfwood

VashandWolfwood

Space Available For Rent

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 March 2010 - 09:59 PM

GH: World Tour(PS3) full band bundles are down to either 79.98 or 74.98. Can't remember which one, but I know it's one of the two. Not sure about 360, as we were out of those. I'll double check the price and see what I can find in regards to SKNs on the bundles

Couple of SKN's that were missing from the OP:
Wii:
Blast Works - 23778
PS3:
TNA Impact: 405340
360:
Popcap: 203988
PS2:
KoF:XI - 404518
Pirates of the Carrib: 364006
SlyCooper: 604545

Also, good luck with the thread Sonic, although with the way things have been in regards to TRU Clearances, this thread shouldn't be that hard.

Edited by VashandWolfwood, 12 March 2010 - 10:15 PM.

Posted Image

#50 IAmTheCheapestGamer

IAmTheCheapestGamer

Posted 12 March 2010 - 10:50 PM

I think the people at TRU need something better to do with their time, in all honesty Cheapy. Next thing you know the Sears/Kmart people will tell ya to have IO and phear remove 'official' from their thread names.:roll:

and hispanic users, let me know if you can read the list

No habla Englais por favor. Maybe you should translate the OP into Spanish too, since I'm sure you don't wanna discriminate.:lol::roll: After all, it's tough enough to learn one language and some of us have enough trouble with English as it is.:lol::D

i added a link to more wang pics. yu wang i mean not wang wang as in penis.

Sarcasm-Just one of the many services I offer.
Posted Image

#51 dallow

dallow

Posted 12 March 2010 - 11:00 PM

:rofl:

Made my day!

#52 unopepito06

unopepito06

Posted 12 March 2010 - 11:20 PM

FoS, you truly are a Cheapass Spartan Warrior.
And the OP layout looks good and is easy to read. Now, whether I can actually find any of these games in store... we'll see. I haven't ever followed the old TRU thread, so I don't know exactly when it was originally added, but I'd love to find a copy of "de Blob".

#53 arcane93

arcane93

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 March 2010 - 11:34 PM

I haven't ever followed the old TRU thread, so I don't know exactly when it was originally added, but I'd love to find a copy of "de Blob".

De Blob is the one title from the recent clearance drops that I wanted which I have been completely unable to find. :cry:

#54 oni-link

oni-link

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 March 2010 - 12:32 AM

besides deBlob and Spyborgs the Wii clearance games is not even worth the $5 they are asking for!!!

#55 ElectricStarshine

ElectricStarshine

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 March 2010 - 05:05 AM

I picked up Disgaea: Afternoon of Darkness on PS2 for 9.99 at Toys R Us about 2 hours ago.

#56 unopepito06

unopepito06

Posted 13 March 2010 - 05:19 AM

Success! Snagged a copy of de Blob @ the Spokane Valley TRU for $5. The last copy to be specific, and that's the only TRU left in town. Sorry there's no more, but thanks for the info guys! It was on the "2 for $25" wall, but the backing card said $5.00

besides deBlob and Spyborgs the Wii clearance games is not even worth the $5 they are asking for!!!

Didn't check for a copy of Spyborgs, cuz for some reason my brain told me you said Excitebots in your post, and that was full price, of course. But I did a quick flip-through and didn't see any other $5 titles.

#57 eau

eau

KP-X 00-00-00-00-1

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 March 2010 - 05:36 PM

I picked up Disgaea: Afternoon of Darkness on PS2 for 9.99 at Toys R Us about 2 hours ago.

You meant the PSP version, right? The PS2 version is called Disgaea: Hour of Darkness.
"Woah! This pain feels so good! So good!" — Albedo / Xenosaga

#58 ElectricStarshine

ElectricStarshine

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 March 2010 - 12:13 AM

It was Hour of Darkness. It is the PS2 version.

#59 arcane93

arcane93

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 March 2010 - 12:49 AM

It was Hour of Darkness. It is the PS2 version.

It's been $9.99 at TRU for a while now -- I picked it up for that back in August of last year.

The annoying thing about it is that, for some reason, it is not compatible with the PS2 component cable -- the video gets all scrambled. I contacted Atlus about it, and it's a known issue. Their solution was to use a composite cable instead. No thanks, I don't feel like downgrading the rest of my PS2 games just for that one (or crawling behind my entertainment center to switch cables any time I want to play it). So I ended up picking up a copy of the DS version and playing that instead.

#60 Gregalor

Gregalor

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 March 2010 - 12:55 AM

It's been $9.99 at TRU for a while now -- I picked it up for that back in August of last year.

The annoying thing about it is that, for some reason, it is not compatible with the PS2 component cable -- the video gets all scrambled. I contacted Atlus about it, and it's a known issue. Their solution was to use a composite cable instead. No thanks, I don't feel like downgrading the rest of my PS2 games just for that one. So I ended up picking up a copy of the DS version and playing that instead.

Oh god, it's one of those ones? I have a PS2 s-video I keep lying around specifically for Ico, and, I guess, this too now. From what I understand, it's not about the cable, but rather your TV's ability to display a 240p signal; some do, some don't.