Toys R Us (TRU) Clearance Thread II

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
1085 replies to this topic

#61 arcane93

arcane93

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 March 2010 - 01:00 AM

Oh god, it's one of those ones? I have a PS2 s-video I keep lying around specifically for Ico, and, I guess, this too now. From what I understand, it's not about the cable, but rather your TV's ability to display a 240p signal; some do, some don't.

For what it's worth, the DS version is enhanced, and is cheap now as well (currently $13.05 on Amazon). So if you've got a DS, you're really better off just going with that.

And yeah, I was simplifying, but it's the 240p signal that's the issue. Apparently it never occurred to early PS2 developers that coding to output a non-standard signal would be an issue. I actually didn't know that Ico was one of those games as well -- glad to know that before dropping the cash on it. Now I hope even more that they put out a PS3 "remastered" version.

Edited by arcane93, 16 March 2010 - 03:14 AM.

#62 Gregalor

Gregalor

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 March 2010 - 01:10 AM

To be fair, it wasn't exactly foreseeable circa 2000 what the state of supported television resolutions would be.

#63 michaelericalonzo

michaelericalonzo

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 March 2010 - 01:42 AM

picked up KOFXI
Battle Coliseum
Spy 1 & 3

#64 eau

eau

KP-X 00-00-00-00-1

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 March 2010 - 06:51 PM

It's been $9.99 at TRU for a while now -- I picked it up for that back in August of last year.

The annoying thing about it is that, for some reason, it is not compatible with the PS2 component cable -- the video gets all scrambled. I contacted Atlus about it, and it's a known issue. Their solution was to use a composite cable instead. No thanks, I don't feel like downgrading the rest of my PS2 games just for that one (or crawling behind my entertainment center to switch cables any time I want to play it). So I ended up picking up a copy of the DS version and playing that instead.

FWIW, I was able to play Hour of Darkness on a slim PS2 via a component cable connected to a Dell Ultrasharp 24" widescreen monitor.
"Woah! This pain feels so good! So good!" — Albedo / Xenosaga

#65 arcane93

arcane93

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 March 2010 - 06:58 PM

FWIW, I was able to play Hour of Darkness on a slim PS2 via a component cable connected to a Dell Ultrasharp 24" widescreen monitor.

Yup, as was stated earlier, it's actually an issue of whether your TV/monitor can figure out what to do with a 240p signal or not. The problem is that there's essentially no way to tell until you try it, as 240p isn't a standard and therefore most manufacturers don't list it in their specs. Unfortunately, I'm even less willing to go out and buy another TV just to play it than I am to switch cables. :lol:

#66 phear3d

phear3d

NorAm = Fraud

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 March 2010 - 07:22 PM

i picked up pangya golf and silent hill origins for psp for $5 each.

didnt see any guitar hero aerosmith.

#67 ValkyrieVF-1S

ValkyrieVF-1S

Skull One

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 March 2010 - 09:48 PM

Thanks, I picked up Neo Geo Battle Coliseum today.
The Worst Foe Lies Within - Parasite Eve
gallery_587_6858_5265.jpg gallery_587_6858_1293.jpg

#68 gantt

gantt

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 March 2010 - 10:18 PM

Hey guys...I was contacted by TRU with the request that remove "Official" from the thread title name to prevent any potential confusion that this was actually an "Official" TRU thread.

Yes, it sounds silly to me but I told them we would comply. Carry on!

Are you sure it wasn't the equivalent of April Fool's Day in Tokyo?

Otherwise, this explains why the two nearest TRU stores have closed, and the rest are soon to follow...

TRU corporate to-do list:
3543. Improve merchandising
2493. More aggressive discounting
1385. Raise customer service scores
1. Demand cheapassgamer.com remove "official" from title of TRU thread! (DONE. Collect $5 million pay-for-performance CEO bonus.)

#69 Gregalor

Gregalor

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 March 2010 - 12:11 AM

I think you guys are blowing this out of proportions. Yes, we know, the things that legal departments have corporations do are wacky; that's nothing new.

#70 prim4444

prim4444

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 March 2010 - 11:39 PM

DS On Tour Bundle dropping $149.98 - $99.98 next week. Nothing game wise.

#71 knightsdwn

knightsdwn

Beautiful Plastic

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 March 2010 - 12:18 AM

i picked up pangya golf and silent hill origins for psp for $5 each.

Did you pick it up at the TRU in Nanuet?

I was there this past Tuesday and I saw some guy buying all their copies of Silent Hill and Pangya Golf. I was pissed to say the least.

#72 Josef

Josef

Touched the dead

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 March 2010 - 01:26 AM

Didn't see this in the OP:

:ps2: Tomb Raider: Underworld - $5.00

#73 DariusWIND

DariusWIND

Owl Exterminator

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 March 2010 - 02:16 AM

030209 PS3 40GB console $199.98
170630 PS2 Lego Batman console bundle $99.98
000000 Wii Rock Band 2 wireless drum set ~$25.98

#74 ScottsUSERID

ScottsUSERID

Posted 20 March 2010 - 02:24 AM

Success! Snagged a copy of de Blob @ the Spokane Valley TRU for $5. The last copy to be specific, and that's the only TRU left in town. Sorry there's no more, but thanks for the info guys! It was on the "2 for $25" wall, but the backing card said $5.00

Didn't check for a copy of Spyborgs, cuz for some reason my brain told me you said Excitebots in your post, and that was full price, of course. But I did a quick flip-through and didn't see any other $5 titles.

I hate how you people out in Spokane have a Hastings and we get shafted in Western, Wa. boo.

#75 ScottsUSERID

ScottsUSERID

Posted 20 March 2010 - 11:04 AM

I hate how you people out in Spokane have a Hastings and we get shafted in Western, Wa. boo.

Correction there is one in Wenatchee, but still to far out.

#76 slowdive21

slowdive21

CAG Hoarder

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 March 2010 - 03:37 PM

I really wish we could make it a common practice for mods to put a link in the old thread to the new thread.

I went to TRU yesterday and pretty much everything (non-gaming) in electronics was clearanced out.

All GH bundles were $20 or less, DVD players, MP3 players, security cameras (which I really wanted), pretty much all non gaming electronics are on clearance.

The Uncharted PS3 bundle was gone as well as the 4 other non slim ps3s.

I mean everything guys, you may want to scan some stuff if your TRU still has it.

#77 Friend of Sonic

Friend of Sonic

Toneman.org coming soon..

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 March 2010 - 12:38 AM

I really wish we could make it a common practice for mods to put a link in the old thread to the new thread.

I didn't see the point in doing that since the old thread's OP was wiped clean.

Plus, everything I know of post Christmas was added into this OP. I doubt stuff is still around from the October drop, or whenever that major drop was during Christmas.
You hurt the right person and you're wrong for life.

#78 slowdive21

slowdive21

CAG Hoarder

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 March 2010 - 04:20 AM

I didn't see the point in doing that since the old thread's OP was wiped clean.

Plus, everything I know of post Christmas was added into this OP. I doubt stuff is still around from the October drop, or whenever that major drop was during Christmas.

I meant in terms of subscribing to the thread. It is much easier for someone to say new thread here: and post a link, so it is easy to find the new thread. Especially since cheapy changed the title. It is nothing against you OP.

Just in case you guys missed it. Here is an example of one of the deals in clearance.

Guitar Hero Aerosmith bundle $3 . I think all the guitar hero bundles except beatles and world tour are now $20 or less. Rock band 2 special edition bundle was $49.99 or less.

#79 RelentlessRolento

RelentlessRolento

Conversation Comedy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 March 2010 - 04:25 AM

Just in case you guys missed it. Here is an example of one of the deals in clearance.

Guitar Hero Aerosmith bundle $3 . I think all the guitar hero bundles except beatles and world tour are now $20 or less. Rock band 2 special edition bundle was $49.99 or less.

What system? I need a spare guitar.

#80 slowdive21

slowdive21

CAG Hoarder

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 March 2010 - 04:31 AM

What system? I need a spare guitar.

I saw a shelf tag for what I figured was PS2, but the employee told me he thought all of them PS2, PS3, 360, Wii (Aerosmith) were $3. The shelf tag said originally 89.99 which seemed high for the PS2 version. Maybe it was PS3?

#81 RelentlessRolento

RelentlessRolento

Conversation Comedy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 March 2010 - 04:38 AM

I saw a shelf tag for what I figured was PS2, but the employee told me he thought all of them PS2, PS3, 360, Wii (Aerosmith) were $3. The shelf tag said originally 89.99 which seemed high for the PS2 version. Maybe it was PS3?

I'll check it out. Thanks man :)

#82 uEih

uEih

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 March 2010 - 07:50 AM

030209 PS3 40GB console $199.98
170630 PS2 Lego Batman console bundle $99.98
000000 Wii Rock Band 2 wireless drum set ~$25.98

Whoa great deal on that ps3? Are you in CA? I'd love to score a deal like that, are these starting to be clearance now since it was added on 3/20?
Get Free Xbox360 Games quick and easy: Sign up here! PM me if you have any questions. http://www.yourfree3....php?ref=236921

#83 Friend of Sonic

Friend of Sonic

Toneman.org coming soon..

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 March 2010 - 08:37 AM

I meant in terms of subscribing to the thread. It is much easier for someone to say new thread here: and post a link, so it is easy to find the new thread. Especially since cheapy changed the title. It is nothing against you OP.

Oh, I didn't take it personally-- I didn't understand what you wrote. My bad!

Edited by Friend of Sonic, 21 March 2010 - 06:04 PM.

You hurt the right person and you're wrong for life.

#84 oni-link

oni-link

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 March 2010 - 09:01 AM

Elk Grove CA has a couple of Soul Bubbles and Rondo of Swords if anyone is interested?

#85 dyingeyes

dyingeyes

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 March 2010 - 07:06 PM

man that DS bundle is lookin pretty good....

#86 Soujiro_Seta

Soujiro_Seta

Restless Soul

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 March 2010 - 07:11 PM

I picked up Afro Samurai for the ps3 yesterday and I bought S-Video cables for the PS3 for $2

#87 slowdive21

slowdive21

CAG Hoarder

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 March 2010 - 12:54 AM

Guitar Hero Aerosmith bundle $3 for both the 360 and PS3
Guitar Hero World Tour Drums $30
Nyko Wireless Guitar $10
Guitar Hero III Guitar bundle $20
Guitar Hero World Tour? Guitar bundle $20

I went back to TRU and these were the shelf tags.

#88 YoshiFan1

YoshiFan1

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 March 2010 - 12:57 AM

Oh wow, I wonder if the 2 guitar PS2 Aerosmith bundle is also $3. Even if I can find the single bundle, it will be worth it. My guitar is starting to get worn down and I'd like to have a bunch of spare guitars.

#89 Josef

Josef

Touched the dead

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 March 2010 - 01:01 AM

Oh wow, I wonder if the 2 guitar PS2 Aerosmith bundle is also $3. Even if I can find the single bundle, it will be worth it. My guitar is starting to get worn down and I'd like to have a bunch of spare guitars.

You can build a fort out of spare guitars at those prices ;)

#90 IAmTheCheapestGamer

IAmTheCheapestGamer

Posted 24 March 2010 - 01:03 AM

Even if you wanted to pretend like you're a rockstar and smash the f'n guitar after trading in the game, you could do it at those prices. Not that I would condone such wasteful use of a gaming peripheral, but since no one takes them in trade anymore, what else can you do with them? Although I think the TIV of the game is next to nil already.

I'm kinda shocked by the 40 gb PS3 being on clearance for $100 off of the current PS3 MSRP.

i added a link to more wang pics. yu wang i mean not wang wang as in penis.

Sarcasm-Just one of the many services I offer.
Posted Image