Halo Wars $9.99 at Micro Center - In-Store Only

Was there on Monday and it was $19.99, so either it lowered mid-week, or it's YMMV. Also, pretty sure it's the regular version, and not the platinum hits. $10 more at Wal-Mart for the DLC might be a better deal. Regardless, still a good price. Nice find.

edit - nevermind, I see it's a 3 day sale

Wow, it says there are a whole bunch in stock at my local store! I'll have to pick one up. And I'm a nice person, so I'll pick ONE up rather than trying to hoard them and sell them for a profit.

Picked one up at the Patterson, NJ store this afternoon for $10. Sticker was normal 19.99, rang up 9.99. They still had 4-5 copies on the shelf at the time. Also picked up Warriors Orochi (360) on clearance for $10.47. Figured it woulbe be good for some mindless, dumb fun.

[quote name='iamthekiller']I got the last halo wars on the shelf in Paterson although site says 30 in stock.[/QUOTE]

10 to 1 these magically show up back on the shelf on Monday for full price!

I did a price match at Best Buy during the time when they had that last deal. To recap, even though the closest Microcenter was about 60miles away, I went to Best Buy to do a price match anyway. The cashier never heard of Microcenter, but I just told her there is one "nearby", but I didn't want to drive all the way over there. The cashier just took my word for it and rung it up for $9.99. Last time, people were complaining that Best Buy didn't do a price match when they called the store. I think the trick is to just show up in person, with the ad, and just do a price match on the spot. They're probably more likely to do a sale and get on with their day than try to actually look up if the store exist.

[quote name='po00op']I did a price match at Best Buy during the time when they had that last deal. To recap, even though the closest Microcenter was about 60miles away, I went to Best Buy to do a price match anyway. The cashier never heard of Microcenter, but I just told her there is one "nearby", but I didn't want to drive all the way over there. The cashier just took my word for it and rung it up for $9.99. Last time, people were complaining that Best Buy didn't do a price match when they called the store. I think the trick is to just show up in person, with the ad, and just do a price match on the spot. They're probably more likely to do a sale and get on with their day than try to actually look up if the store exist.[/QUOTE]

I've had several experiences at BB (in store, not calling) where they don't only want to know if the store exists, they insist on contacting the store to see if they have the item in stock.

[quote name='FRAUD_WHATS_THAT']10 to 1 these magically show up back on the shelf on Monday for full price![/QUOTE]

If that's the case, then it might be better to reserve it online with in store pick-up before heading out.

The problem is, they won't let you do that for some reason...when you go to "add to cart" they say you can't do so, as it's not available online. And, unless I misunderstand, that's how you set something for in-store pickup.

Went to Best Buy today, as the Microcenter near me is kind of out of the way and the Best Buy was...on my way...and they didn't have any copies. They probably won't price-match anyway, unless you get lucky, since most have the Platinum Hits version, which is a different SKU.

We just happened to be in Cincinnati this weekend so I swung in Microcenter and picked this up. That store is like heaven for nerds.

[quote name='Skydude']The problem is, they won't let you do that for some reason...when you go to "add to cart" they say you can't do so, as it's not available online. And, unless I misunderstand, that's how you set something for in-store pickup.

Went to Best Buy today, as the Microcenter near me is kind of out of the way and the Best Buy was...on my way...and they didn't have any copies. They probably won't price-match anyway, unless you get lucky, since most have the Platinum Hits version, which is a different SKU.[/QUOTE]

For some reason, when I did it at Best Buy, it rung up as the Platnium version. Not sure why though, but I'm not complaining.

[quote name='gantt']I've had several experiences at BB (in store, not calling) where they don't only want to know if the store exists, they insist on contacting the store to see if they have the item in stock.[/QUOTE]

Sorry to hear that. Maybe I got lucky. The Best Buy I went to is right next to a college campus, and the cashier looked like a college student, so maybe college student are more relaxed about stuff like this?

Edit: Another factor that might've contributed to it was that I went to the store a bit before the store was about to close (maybe 30min to an hour), so maybe they just want to get their shifts over with.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks OP. Grabbed one today. There were 10+ still available at the Troy MI location as of this afternoon.

I've never played an RTS before, but figured I'd give a Halo themed game a try.

Thanks OP, went to Sears and pricematched it for $9 there. Was kinda-sorta hoping I could skate out of there with a Platinum Hits version, but there wasn't one in stock. Ah well, still a good price for standard edition. :D

[quote name='po00op']Edit: Another factor that might've contributed to it was that I went to the store a bit before the store was about to close (maybe 30min to an hour), so maybe they just want to get their shifts over with.[/QUOTE]

Maybe, but one time I went to Best Buy to price match something using a Circuit City ad. Circuit City was almost literally next door (same strip mall) but it was within an hour before this Best Buy was closing, at the CC was already closed. They're standing there calling Circuit City, and I'm thinking "Um...." They refused the PM as they couldn't verify that CC had it in stock.

OTOH I've definitely had BB PM using the ad alone, without calling. And had a BB refuse the PM because the TRU 20 miles away (in the same metropolitan area) was not a "local competitor." It's all YMMV.

bread's done
Back