*Steam* Everquest + 15 Expansions + Exclusive Item = $2.50

hambonious

CAG Veteran
http://store.steampowered.com/app/24130/
Link to sale.

"EverQuest® 11th Year Anniversary Sale is on!

March 16, 2010, 9:32 am - Valve - General Announcement

EverQuest® is now available for $2.50/€1.99/£1.99 until March 26th! This deal includes a Steam exclusive in-game item the Shroud of Steam as well as 15 expansions (One per account. Not tradeable. No cash value.). If you start a new account you will also receive 30 days of free game time."

http://store.steampowered.com/news/3602/
Link to this information.

[quote name='FeralWraith']The actual price (and this applies to any MMO) is the dollar amount plus YOUR SOUL.[/QUOTE]

pfft, not like I need my soul anyways.

[quote name='FeralWraith']The actual price (and this applies to any MMO) is the dollar amount plus YOUR SOUL.[/QUOTE]

Spoken like a former EQ player, lol.

OP, It's really not right to post deals like this. Some of us are recovering addicts. :)

Endaar

this doesn't include the $$$ you're gonna waste keeping your computer on to download all those fucking expansions. 15? Jesus christ. I hope they aren't like WoW where it takes like 5 hours to dl all the patches if you haven't played in a month.

Yeah Everquest 1 has a giant amount of content and a active community.

Tho the second one would be more appealing on the graphics upgrades alone.

[quote name='plutoknight']For 2.50, I'm willing to take a free 30 days of playtime and see what EverQuest is all about. I've never played it O.O[/QUOTE]
this is overpriced by $2.49. Seriously, it sucks. At the time it came out everyone was addicted because there was nothing like it, but in the end it turned into a meh party.

[quote name='BanetheInsane']Check out those AMAZING GRAPHIX http://store.steampowered.com/screenshot/view/24130/5?size=1024[/QUOTE]

mefightin.png

Sigh

Seeing this makes me wish they'd release some Classic servers.

Just vanilla EQ, Velius, and Kunark.

It's a shame that bootleg project got shut down.

I remember playing this... I loved it. It gives me a much better memory than WoW has done... I don't see EQ aging well though, but I guess it has. I'd totally play it if it didn't have that pesky subscription price. I remember all of the farming... countless farming... Finally getting to raid PoP. It was awesome. Then all the farming my dad and I did with this cool wizard. We got to explore all of the old areas that were dead because there were newer and cooler areas. It was a great experience. I almost somehow miss it or something.

Did they get rid of de-leveling? I read that you can hire "mercenaries" now so you can basically solo.
But deleveling was by far the worst.

Spent 5yrs of my life on this game (3rd grade all the way to 9th grade summer). Its aged horribly though no way I would go back, after playing WoW it doesn't compare.

Hmm, well, I bit.. one of these days I'll get around to downloading it.

It only put two expansions into my library, though. Secrets of Faydwer and Seeds of Destruction. I wonder if that's normal...

[quote name='FiendCameron']this doesn't include the $$$ you're gonna waste keeping your computer on to download all those fucking expansions. 15? Jesus christ. I hope they aren't like WoW where it takes like 5 hours to dl all the patches if you haven't played in a month.[/QUOTE]

It won't take long. They are only probably like 40 megabytes each considering how ancient the game is =P. They were probably originally released on floppy discs lol.

But seriously. I'd play this game if it wasn't still $15 a month... Wtf? They need to drop the price/month on that game if they still want ppl to play...I'd pay $10 MAX for that game per month (and that's only if I had nothing else to play).

$2.50 is a damn tempting deal tho...

[quote name='Rouzhokuu']Sigh

Seeing this makes me wish they'd release some Classic servers.

Just vanilla EQ, Velius, and Kunark.

It's a shame that bootleg project got shut down.[/QUOTE]
That project is back up and running...still working on the game! I can't wait, but it still has a bit to go. Classic, Kunark, and Velious was the only way to play for me.

[quote name='Darknuke']It won't take long. They are only probably like 40 megabytes each considering how ancient the game is =P. They were probably originally released on floppy discs lol.

But seriously. I'd play this game if it wasn't still $15 a month... Wtf? They need to drop the price/month on that game if they still want ppl to play...I'd pay $10 MAX for that game per month (and that's only if I had nothing else to play).

$2.50 is a damn tempting deal tho...[/QUOTE]

If you install all the expansions I think it's like 10 GB.

Honestly, this really is the best deal ever if you are a HARDCORE MMO player. EQ is THE game if you enjoy raiding with intense strategies. If you want a casual MMO play WoW.

hardcore=nothing is user friendly and everything is needlessly tedious and boring because the game is designed badly.

HARDXCORE

i played that game a lot till about last year. played it so much i skipped pretty much the whole ps2 console generation hehe.
its good but just really outdated compared to current games and i dont think i was getting my 15$ worth.

really at this point id say go eq 2 tho. :)

[quote name='Fire_Thief']Lol, it's like... 30,000 hours of gameplay for $2.50.[/QUOTE]

How do you figure? after the first 30 days it costs $15 a month to play... :)

[quote name='zeb06']That Project is back up and running...still working on the game! I can't wait, but it still has a bit to go. Classic, Kunark, and Velious was the only way to play for me.[/QUOTE]
Like it's 1999. ;)

(played release through POP, but stopped since "god killing is end game, period")

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='bfg9k']How do you figure? after the first 30 days it costs $15 a month to play... :)[/QUOTE]
Yeah, that only equates to 720 hours for $2.50.

I've never played this game, but that $15 subscription fee turns me off. If I got into it within 30 days, I'd want to be able to play some more (unlimited), but not for the price of $15 per month; I don't want to risk liking this game and then having to pay 6 times as much as I initially paid to keep playing it.

I'll buy it, steam gets me again with a $2 sale.:lol:
It works out to about $0.08½ a day for the free month, which is all I'll play.

[quote name='NutManIV']hardcore=nothing is user friendly and everything is needlessly tedious and boring because the game is designed badly.

HARDXCORE[/QUOTE]
I disagree. I played EQ and stopped around whe Planes of Power came out.

EQ has what a lot of MMOs have lost these days: an actual sense of a large connected world with actual risk. Dying means losing a lot of progress and traveling can take an actual day to accomplish. People call it archaic and bad design, but you know what? It made everything feel grand and spectacular when you accomplished it. It made something as trivial as traveling across a continent feel accomplishing.

I wouldn't play the game these days. The old areas are long since dead, and the old spots are all about quick travel, hand holding, etc. IMO the game lost all of its character.

EQ was my first "real" MMORPG (as in, how we know them now, not games like Diablo and Phantasy Star Online, and, uh... Legend of the Red Dragon on the old BBS systems!). I only played it for a month or two, lanning with a bunch of friends who were a lot more experienced and basically held my hand the entire time; I had no idea what the hell I was doing on my own, being new to that style of play.

There were a LOT of things that I really hated about the game (de-leveling, having to memorize spells, sitting down for ages to get your mana/health back, not being able to do much of anything by yourself, etc etc.), and overall didn't really like the game then and certainly wouldn't like it now. That being said though, it still stands out as being a pretty memorable experience, and I can recall a lot of fun (and not so fun...) stories and situations that played out during my time with the game. Part of that came from the huge, interesting, fully-realized world (which was MUCH better than anything I've seen in MMORPG's since, with the exception of WoW's story and style), but also from the fact that we were on a PVP server, leading to all sorts of crazy fights.

My first reaction with this deal was "Man, that's probably the most content and play time you could ever get for $2.50!", but as others have said, the real cost is in the monthly fees and the time required to play. Was definitely interesting for it's time, in spite of frustrating design, and although I can't say anything about how it really stands today, I would guess it doesn't hold up very well at all. For 30 days, this might sate the curiosity of those who've never played it at all, but don't expect to have much fun with it...

Can anyone who purchased this, confirm that the only two Everquest titles to be placed into your library are Secrets of Faydwer, and Seeds of Destruction?

Thanks. :)

[quote name='Rouzhokuu']Can anyone who purchased this, confirm that the only two Everquest titles to be placed into your library are Secrets of Faydwer, and Seeds of Destruction?

Thanks. :)[/QUOTE]
Yep, its that way for me, too!

Secrets of Faydwer and Seeds of Destruction both say their install size ie 6.5 GB too. I certainly HOPE not..

Tempted to get this at this price. Even if I only play one evening, that is pretty cheap entertainment.

Played EQ from 1999 until towards the end of planes of power. Then picked it back up and played for about a month a couple years ago. Leveling is soooo much faster than it was in the olden days.

Myself and two friends (all dual boxing like the old days!) got from level 1 to level cap (70 at the time?) with 200 aa in less than a month.

[quote name='Monsta Mack']Did they get rid of de-leveling? I read that you can hire "mercenaries" now so you can basically solo.
But deleveling was by far the worst.[/QUOTE]

Ah yes, I remember the good ol' days when it wasn't having to hit a level before going to bed, but "Just need some buffer exp before I go to bed!"

I remember when I played EQ back in beta 0.5. I started in early 98 I think and stopped shortly after Kunark. The one thing that made me rage quit and ebay was the fact that I was stuck in a death loop. De-leveled from 52 to 47 in a matter of minutes. Partly my fault for being AFK and getting trained on, but still back then each level after 50 took a ridiculous amount of grinding time.

Like the posters above, it had its memorable times, and it's not so much memorable times. The not so memorable times > the memorable times. Hated camping for the SoW boots in Najena. Hated camping for the FBSS (Flowing Black Silk Sash). Hated camping for days.. period.

For $2.50, I rather go to McDonalds.

[quote name='dieresis']Yeah, that only equates to 720 hours for $2.50.

I've never played this game, but that $15 subscription fee turns me off. If I got into it within 30 days, I'd want to be able to play some more (unlimited), but not for the price of $15 per month; I don't want to risk liking this game and then having to pay 6 times as much as I initially paid to keep playing it.[/QUOTE]
Really, when you get into it as much as some of us did, the monthly fee feels like $0. It gives so much relentless entertainment for less than the electrical cost of running the PC. :)

Man I played Everquest for years. I nearly consumed my soul lol. Definately some great memories, but of course some not so good memories either. Old school EQ is definitely one of the hardest MMO's and probably games around. Nothing like hours of grind lost in 1 death or de-leveling was the worst...
I would be all down if they had classic servers. Like nothing past Velious. And holy crap 15 expansions lol.

Does anyone know if the 30 days included starts as soon as I buy it or does it start from when I actually register? I'd like to pick this up now but I won't have time to play it until summer.

Played at or around release time for 4 years thereafter - great game, and I even got it as a wedding present from my best friend. How about that? :)

My wife burned out before I did, but like others have said, I grew tired of game's design and quit - haven't been back.

But this is an incredible deal for anyone who's somewhat curious about this MMO classic.

[quote name='POndash']Does anyone know if the 30 days included starts as soon as I buy it or does it start from when I actually register? I'd like to pick this up now but I won't have time to play it until summer.[/QUOTE]
30 days from when you register.

Me and 3 others have created a topic at the PC board for this deal. We are creating our own little group and still have a slot open if someone else is interested in buying the game and playing with us.

i played for about 5yrs, the game was a solid one. as mentioned before, in this game there was a lot of pride to be had in what you accomplished because it wasnt just handed to you. i would consider giving it another whirl, but the monthly fee is rediculous. their subscription numbers are down, bandwidth is cheaper these days, how can they NOT afford to lower the monthly subscription fee?

if the monthly fee was under $10 a month i would jump right back in and play casually, but theres no way that this outdated game is worth the same monthly price as a new title.

I loved EQ1, I played for a good 4 years or so. I started slightly after Kunark cameout, and quit sometime during whatever came after PoP. I love, i mean LOVED high end raiding that WoW and high end gaming that I felt WoW lacked when I quit that as well.

I don't want to restart EQ, but this is quite tempting to give it a whirl again.

[quote name='Denbo32']I loved EQ1, I played for a good 4 years or so. I started slightly after Kunark cameout, and quit sometime during whatever came after PoP. I love, i mean LOVED high end raiding that WoW and high end gaming that I felt WoW lacked when I quit that as well.

I don't want to restart EQ, but this is quite tempting to give it a whirl again.[/QUOTE]

Like I said a post or 2 up we have a group of 4 going. Would be a pretty good time to give the game a shot.

So conflicted, I know if I play I'll be hooked and I'm a power gamer in EQ. I have other responsabilities now.

This just was odd because just on Monday I was talking with my friends on how EQ was so much better then WoW.

I don't think you will be hooked now. I watched my wife try to get back into it late last year, and I saw nothing to pique my interest, hers either after she found characters long gone, servers gone or merged, etc. If its been at least 2 years since you played, I'd say you are safe from the pull.

The graphics at this point are soooo bad. Stretched on the HDTV at 1920 x 1080, my eyes wanted to bleed. Looks like they redid the graphics on some of the original zones, and it wasn't an improvement, I don't think :)

There is a reason that many of us skipped one or even the better part of two console generations and that reason is Everquest.

By the time I quit, I had a stack of computer games to catch up on and play, didn't get back to consoles till the last year or so of the original Xbox's run. By that time I decided the PS2 was old enough to skip it and the Gamecube as well.

bread's done
Back