Photo
- - - - -

The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings - Out Now!

• Please log in to reply
101 replies to this topic

#31 Actionhank

Actionhank

Mad Warranty Voider

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 November 2010 - 04:43 AM

I want to get the gog.com copy because I like to support what DRM free, but I also like the convenience of automatic patching from Steam......

Decisions decisions...

#32 DukeEdwardI

DukeEdwardI

Whose Queens?

• CAGiversary!

Posted 31 January 2011 - 07:43 AM

PC Gamer: The Witcher 2 interface "designed with console in mind"

Interesting.

#33 Draekon

Draekon

Kung-Fu Panda

• CAGiversary!

Posted 31 January 2011 - 01:06 PM

The interface design doesn't bother me, so long as it doesn't impede the use of a keyboard and mouse or make it an incredibly lackluster design.

#34 cgarb84

cgarb84

KEAK HEEM IN DA BALLS!!!!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 31 January 2011 - 03:17 PM

If this game gets in any way significantly "consolized" it will be my biggest disappointment of 2011. Still holding out hope that it won't be though.
Posted Image

Posted Image
Posted Image

#35 DukeEdwardI

DukeEdwardI

Whose Queens?

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 March 2011 - 06:18 PM

New 10 minute gameplay video shows some of the areas we'll visit, combat and mini-games:

#36 Jodou

Jodou

Posted 01 March 2011 - 06:39 PM

Looking good. The combat reminds me of Batman a bit, but a little less fluid. I'm sure it will still be amazing, though.

JodouKastBizmuth.jpg

#37 Draekon

Draekon

Kung-Fu Panda

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 March 2011 - 02:11 AM

Official System Requirements are out:

Minimum Requirements:
Processor: Core 2Duo 2.2 GHz or dual core AMD 2.5 GHz
RAM: 1GB Win XP/ 2GB Vista/7
Graphics: GeForce 8800 512MB or Radeon (HD3850 512 MB)
HDD Space: 16 GB

Recommended Requirements:

Processor: Quad Core Intel or AMD
RAM: 3GB Win XP/ 4GB Vista/7
Graphics: GeForce 260 1GB or (HD4850 1GB)
HDD Space: 16 GB

#38 BREVITY

BREVITY

The Soul of Wit.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 May 2011 - 08:35 PM

Very excited for this game. Tomorrow is the day! Thought the first one was one of the best RPGs I had ever played. Hope this one is equally good.
3DS Friend Code:4382-1988-8437 QR Image http://yfrog.com/gzvezjyj
iOS GameCenter Name: BREVITY
Posted ImagePosted Image
Put your hand on a hot stove for a min. and it feels like an hour; play a cool game for an hour and it feels like a min. Brevity's def. of relativity.

#39 Jodou

Jodou

Posted 16 May 2011 - 08:57 PM

Mine already shipped. I forgot they were putting this out with some extras, so seeing the premium content again just reminds me what an awesome dev CDProjekt is.

JodouKastBizmuth.jpg

#40 Jodou

Jodou

Posted 17 May 2011 - 04:56 PM

Wow, to think this is what you get for $50 when most companies would charge $10-20 more:

JodouKastBizmuth.jpg

#41 Draekon

Draekon

Kung-Fu Panda

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 May 2011 - 08:44 PM

Yeah, Europeon Devs tend to be a bit more giving.

#42 cgarb84

cgarb84

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 May 2011 - 10:34 PM

Downloading now on Steam, so excited to finally play this! I have GOTY expectations for this, I hope it doesn't let me down.
Posted Image

Posted Image
Posted Image

#43 dserafin1986

dserafin1986

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 May 2011 - 11:11 PM

Any impressions yet?

#44 Draekon

Draekon

Kung-Fu Panda

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 May 2011 - 11:34 PM

Uh, holy shit they first hour is a fucking sexy bitch? More so if you have a computer that can handle high/ultra. Dear god. If it continues along this road, it could easily top Game of the Year.

Seriously. The way they have everything setup so far is pretty damn awesome. The UI is much to my liking too. And it's also very clear that they did not censor it.

#45 BREVITY

BREVITY

The Soul of Wit.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 May 2011 - 12:20 AM

Stayed home from work for other reasons but ended up playing a lot of this game. Got it on Steam. Love the graphics. So far I have died a whole lot. Cant seem to figure things out. Also sucked that I count pull in my game save after putting so many hours into The Witcher 1. I wanted to hear them talk about my decisions.
Posted ImagePosted Image
Put your hand on a hot stove for a min. and it feels like an hour; play a cool game for an hour and it feels like a min. Brevity's def. of relativity.

#46 Jodou

Jodou

Posted 18 May 2011 - 02:24 PM

Well aside from their server being down for activation when I got home, the 20 minutes I did play was trying to figure out where the keybindings were hidden. Either I didn't look hard enough or they simply consolized that menu. I'm getting so fucking sick and tired of this shit. How, fucking, hard is it to program a GUI for this? The game looks so good and they nailed graphical customization so I'm at a loss as to why the only option under gameplay would be 'choose your controller'. That and the mouse is so 'loose' in movement; I don't really like how it controls.

I'll mess around with config files tonight, but CD Projekt is better than that. It won't really get in the way of playing it, but it's disappointing.

JodouKastBizmuth.jpg

#47 Draekon

Draekon

Kung-Fu Panda

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 May 2011 - 02:41 PM

The way they do the tutorial is a bit bad as it pops up briefly in a very small window and then closes. However it somewhat blends with everything else that you notice it too late to really find out what those keybindings are.

Supposedly the controller is a pretty good option to use for the game. As for the mouse being loose, it was a bit surprising because I turned the sensitivity way up due to the slowness of the menu. However I moved it back down once I got into the actual game. Then it wasn't so bad. It's mostly meant to work with how the new battle system works, which you'll find out about in the near future.

#48 Jodou

Jodou

Posted 18 May 2011 - 03:03 PM

Supposedly the controller is a pretty good option to use for the game. As for the mouse being loose, it was a bit surprising because I turned the sensitivity way up due to the slowness of the menu. However I moved it back down once I got into the actual game. Then it wasn't so bad. It's mostly meant to work with how the new battle system works, which you'll find out about in the near future.

I did the exact same thing and it's painful trying to loot things (is there a hotkey for loot all?) since the menu speed is so slow. Also, arrow keys work for navigating dialogue options but there's no no way to select without clicking? It just blows my mind how they could make such a great game but fail on the simplest part lol.

JodouKastBizmuth.jpg

#49 Draekon

Draekon

Kung-Fu Panda

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 May 2011 - 03:23 PM

I don't know yet. I haven't had the time to play much. Got home at 6PM but had to go out to dinner and then I also promised to play something else with someone. So I only had about an hour to play. If I find it, I'll be sure to mention it in this thread.

#50 cgarb84

cgarb84

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 May 2011 - 05:36 PM

Well aside from their server being down for activation when I got home, the 20 minutes I did play was trying to figure out where the keybindings were hidden. Either I didn't look hard enough or they simply consolized that menu. I'm getting so fucking sick and tired of this shit. How, fucking, hard is it to program a GUI for this? The game looks so good and they nailed graphical customization so I'm at a loss as to why the only option under gameplay would be 'choose your controller'. That and the mouse is so 'loose' in movement; I don't really like how it controls.

I'll mess around with config files tonight, but CD Projekt is better than that. It won't really get in the way of playing it, but it's disappointing.

The only key bindings I've seen are the ones you open up through the launcher. I'm not sure if you can change them once in the game or not.
Posted Image

Posted Image
Posted Image

#51 BREVITY

BREVITY

The Soul of Wit.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 May 2011 - 06:01 PM

Jodou, I have it on Steam so I am not sure if the others are the same but before it launches there is a very bland screen with all the customizable things in it for graphics where you pick high and such. On that menu there is a setting to customize the keys for both a KB/M and controller.

I agree with Draekon about the tutorial. Not only is it not up long but its to many clicks away from getting it back up. There is a loot all button so that you click once and then use the space bar to grab everything. I found it hard to even see those bags bodies leave behind and the medallion highlighting it with the same color pallet as the environment made it not much better. I might try the game with a controller to even though it sounds defeatist on a PC. I am normally all about the kb/m. I too turned up the mouse speed to combat the floaty controls. This thing has to be console bound.

That said I am about 7h in and loving it. I did hate that I count incorporate my last save since it was so long. That graphics engine is worthy enough to be sold out to others for use. Some of the little things that they are doing with it is great. Combat is kicking my a$$ for sure though. Not being able to heal in battle is a beast. I hit E to block and constantly feel like I am lagging in a network game. Since a parry or block uses the same vitality as that spell to block hits I end up out of the two bars you start with fast and then I am running. Luckily the enemies have a limit they are willing to chase you. But twice I have gotten stuck for an hour or more just pacing out a fight I felt should have blown by.

I picked up LA Noire yesterday too and currently have a huge backlog of game with GameFly sending more all the time but this is the one I am pumped to be playing right now. Going to make time to play more tonight.
Posted ImagePosted Image

#52 Jodou

Jodou

Posted 18 May 2011 - 06:10 PM

Word. I had a feeling I would find the controls in some quirky menu like that, since a lot of PC games console ports have started doing that. So space bar is loot all? Nice. Maybe once I have everything assigned the way I like it I can actually start enjoying the game lol.

JodouKastBizmuth.jpg

#53 Jodou

Jodou

Posted 18 May 2011 - 08:08 PM

LOL!

JodouKastBizmuth.jpg

#54 crystalklear64

crystalklear64

Posted 19 May 2011 - 04:53 AM

Well into Chapter 1. Just fought the mid boss working on ingredients for potions and runes for my swords for the real boss. I hear its a bitch of a fight. Taking the Alchemy tree.

Anyone find where to get Elemental Stones yet? I've killed just about everything I've come across and still haven't found any. I want some sexy Sun Runes for my swords :(

Posted Image
Posted Image

#55 crystalklear64

crystalklear64

Posted 19 May 2011 - 04:57 AM

I did the exact same thing and it's painful trying to loot things (is there a hotkey for loot all?) since the menu speed is so slow. Also, arrow keys work for navigating dialogue options but there's no no way to select without clicking? It just blows my mind how they could make such a great game but fail on the simplest part lol.

Hit space to loot all. I'm pretty sure it tells you this in the tutorial tips which you can review by hitting J ingame and picking the appropriate category.

Also, make sure you have Vertical Synch disabled. VSynch is bugged and will kill your framerate. This pisses me off because I hate screen tearing but it drops me to 25 fps instead of 45.

Hotkeys can be set in the Config Tool in the Video Options part of the launcher.

Also, I bet space selects dialogue options since its the Accept hotkey.

Posted Image
Posted Image

#56 Jodou

Jodou

Posted 19 May 2011 - 05:28 PM

Yeah, I found the keybindings menu completely hidden under the video options menu from the launcher. Thanks for the heads up guys, because GL finding it otherwise since it's horribly misplaced. I'll disable v-sync as well, even though my rig was playing at 30 FPS. I'm all about smoother frame rates.

JodouKastBizmuth.jpg

#57 Jodou

Jodou

Posted 20 May 2011 - 02:48 PM

OK, something is wrong with my load times because it takes 30 seconds to a minute just to load a save. In fact, my system pretty much locks up for a few seconds before finally loading the game again. I just updated drivers this month, so that's not it and this doesn't strike me as a display issue since lowering the settings makes no difference. What is disturbing is nobody else seems to have this issue, so it could be one of those hard to diagnose problems.

I know nVidia had issues with 3D drivers, but my card is a Radeon HD 5870 and that was simply an issue with frame rate. I double-checked my Win7 partition and both the install files and saves are running off the same HDD (C:\), so that's not it. I've tried booting the game from the launcher and direct .exe both under administration and not with zero difference. With their community forums still down, it's pretty hard to find anything outside of google and that brings up nothing.

Has anyone experienced something like this or even heard of this happening? I mean, it's playable and framerate is 30 FPS with max settings/uber-sampling on but I've been dying a lot trying to learn their combat system and waiting a minute to play again is wearing on my patience.

JodouKastBizmuth.jpg

#58 crystalklear64

crystalklear64

Posted 20 May 2011 - 10:44 PM

I saw something mentioned about ATI cards and a hotfix driver. I walked into that conversation though and didn't hear the whole thing. It suggests to me, however, that there is an issue that they're going to fix with a driver update. Now what issue that is, I have no idea. Maybe the problem you're having.

The game is supposed to be getting a patch soon as well, so a combination of a driver update and the patch when it comes out will probably fix a bunch of stuff. I remember in the first Witcher when it came out it took forever to load when going into and out of houses like 30 second+. A patch they released cut that down to a second or two.

It does take awhile to load a save for me and I'm running a fairly similar 4870. I don't know about a minute though. I'll time it real quick.

Ok it took 40 seconds to load when I first started the game, around 10-12 seconds to load a different game once I've already loaded a game, and about 15 seconds if I die and reload my latest save.

So I guess around a minute isn't too far off for the first load, but I'd say it shouldn't be taking so long after that initial load. I'm running the "legit" GOG version if that makes a difference.

Posted Image
Posted Image

#59 Draekon

Draekon

Kung-Fu Panda

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 May 2011 - 10:54 PM

I have a 6870 with latest drivers (Fresh format from last weekend) and I load a new game in 5 seconds and reloads take about 3. However I also have an i7 2600K, 16GB of DDR3 RAM (Mostly for heavy virtualization stuff when I'm not gaming) and 2x SSD in SATA III in RAID 0 that I'm currently testing. So it looks like hardware may offset faulty drivers? Or maybe it doesn't effect 6000 series drivers.

#60 lolwhat

lolwhat

Posted 21 May 2011 - 09:29 PM

Is the story connected strongly with the original? I only made it like 30% in the first one.