Photo
- - - - -

The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings - Out Now!

• Please log in to reply
101 replies to this topic

#61 crystalklear64

crystalklear64

Posted 21 May 2011 - 10:37 PM

Is the story connected strongly with the original? I only made it like 30% in the first one.

Its like the second book in a series.

First game introduces Geralt and a bunch of the characters. He shapes his identity through your choices and you are introduced to the hunt and his missing memories.

Second game you've got all the characters still, you won't really know who the Fuck they are apart from that they know Geralt and he seems chill with them. Theres also the matter of King Folstest, such as why you're helping him or why he picked Geralt. A new story is happening in the second game, but it uses elements from the first.

I honestly can't think of a game where you HAVE to play the first to figure out whats happening in the second.

Also the original Witcher's gameplay is kind of ass without mods especially if you play 2 first, you won't want to go back to the original for gameplay.

Posted Image
Posted Image

#62 panzerfaust

panzerfaust

Posted 21 May 2011 - 10:40 PM

Perhaps I'll try to finish the first. I have the Enhanced, but what mods would make it smoother?

Or could I just buy the novel? =p

UjCoyFa.png

#63 crystalklear64

crystalklear64

Posted 22 May 2011 - 12:29 AM

the books take place before the games and are probably the reason why in the first game he loses his memory. its so you can makes choices as you want rather than what you think the character from the books would do.

Posted Image
Posted Image

#64 Saint Noir

Saint Noir

CinemaScope

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 May 2011 - 12:55 AM

I have been keeping an eye on Witcher 2 as it looked amazing. Never played the first. Since they had that GOG sale for 5 bucks, I d/l it and booted it up just to see if it ran OK.

I have been playing it nonstop since (runs fine, btw). Despite some minor flaws, I am totally on board with The Witcher. I can't wait to get to part 2. I will say that I hope 2 has a little more polish and irons out some of the nags. But all things considered, I am really enjoying the first game.

Too bad I will probably have to upgrade my card to play 2 (or get it on console if it looks decent).

What is wrong with the save importing? I thought that was a feature of 2...

#65 Jodou

Jodou

Posted 23 May 2011 - 03:23 PM

I saw something mentioned about ATI cards and a hotfix driver. I walked into that conversation though and didn't hear the whole thing. It suggests to me, however, that there is an issue that they're going to fix with a driver update. Now what issue that is, I have no idea. Maybe the problem you're having.

The game is supposed to be getting a patch soon as well, so a combination of a driver update and the patch when it comes out will probably fix a bunch of stuff. I remember in the first Witcher when it came out it took forever to load when going into and out of houses like 30 second+. A patch they released cut that down to a second or two.

It does take awhile to load a save for me and I'm running a fairly similar 4870. I don't know about a minute though. I'll time it real quick.

Ok it took 40 seconds to load when I first started the game, around 10-12 seconds to load a different game once I've already loaded a game, and about 15 seconds if I die and reload my latest save.

So I guess around a minute isn't too far off for the first load, but I'd say it shouldn't be taking so long after that initial load. I'm running the "legit" GOG version if that makes a difference.

Yeah, I remember the first game having that problem too, but everyone was having it. This one, it's pretty much me. I'll just keep waiting on a patch I guess and play LA Noire for now.

#66 Jodou

Jodou

Posted 24 May 2011 - 03:54 PM

So I have an idea why my load times are off and I really hope I'm wrong. According to reports from GoG, both FPS and load times are affected by the DRM they included on retail copies. They state that if you swap (crack) the .exe with the one provided for GoG copies (digital, yuck) then you should see upwards of 10 FPS increase and lowered load times. The caveat is there could be other issues from using one .exe over the other, but it's not confirmed either way.

There official forums are still down and the patch is supposed to be sometime this week, but I'm not holding my breath it will fix my minute long load times. If the DRM is truly the cause, then CDPR has lost my business since they initially claimed no DRM would be used. Their publisher 'forced' them to add it, but should they fail to issue a removal tool soon then I'll simply demand a refund and move on. I shouldn't be punished for buying a retail copy, especially given how digital anything is on thin ice thanks to Sony's Fuck up.

#67 cgarb84

cgarb84

KEAK HEEM IN DA BALLS!!!!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 May 2011 - 05:39 PM

http://www.joystiq.c...2-for-xbox-360/

Looks like it's heading to consoles (at least the 360) probably will be announced at E3. Can't say I didn't see this coming, kind of sad but oh well more people who can play the game is a good thing (I think lol).

Anyways I haven't been able to play the game as much as I have wanted to so far, I think I'm almost done with Chapter 1. The Prologue was a slight disappointment to me, it just didn't grab me at all. Once I started Chapter 1 I warmed up to the game and am now enjoying it a lot. It is much harder than the first game imo, at least the beginning was. I feel like the difficulty has eased up in Chapter 1, the Prologue was just brutal to me. I have started down the Swordsmanship ability tree, I wanted to go one of the other two ways but the skills you get at the end of the trees just look better to me in the Swordsmanship path.

I had some technical issues at first (Avast anti-virus is not a fan of this game) but got them squared away. I was able to import my save from the first game ok but I can't really tell what may be different in 2 because of the save. Nothing large has jumped out at me yet (maybe it never will who knows).
Posted Image

Posted Image
Posted Image

#68 Jodou

Jodou

Posted 25 May 2011 - 06:17 PM

Apparently the patch will finally be out today as well. They don't have a complete patch notes up, but it does make mention of performance and load times especially for retail copies, so fingers crossed.

I also noticed my desktop was starting to freeze up when turning my monitor on and off until I noticed my GPU was acting as though it was under full load (99% usage). Took a reboot to solve the issue, but if it happens again after the patch this game is getting uninstalled and I may have to reinstall win7. I hate to jump to conclusions, but after testing my PC with other games last night and seeing no recurrence I can only assume there are some major issues with it. Really disappointed right now.

#69 crystalklear64

crystalklear64

Posted 25 May 2011 - 09:14 PM

I'd be surprised if the DRM is whats causing your problems. I know someone who got the retail version from amazon and they just got a 6870 and were testing the game out. Load times were way faster than mine and I have the GOG version. We're talking 8 seconds for the first load here. I was also jealous that he could run it on Ultra at 50 fps with the ubersampling off. Thinking about updating my PC for this and the upcoming BF3.

Posted Image
Posted Image

#70 Jodou

Jodou

Posted 26 May 2011 - 05:39 PM

Which is why I'm keeping an open mind and tried different things to fix the issue. ATI is supposed to have a hotfix for W2 some day and the 1.1 patch is still waiting to be released. Either of these things could solve the problem or do nothing for me. No other game has given me any troubles, so at least I've ruled out faulty hardware.

#71 Jodou

Jodou

Posted 26 May 2011 - 10:49 PM

CD Projekt RED announces the release of Patch 1.1, which brings important improvements to The Witcher 2, the highly acclaimed game released a week ago. The most noticeable change is the removal of the DRM protection world-wide. This gives players the freedom to install and play the game on any number of computers, and no activation code is required.

You had me at DRM-free. I knew CDPR wouldn't let me down! :D

After patching ZERO issues, everything was resolved. Either they fixed some issue that was locking me up or it was in fact the DRM. Either way, extremely happy I can finally start plowing through this!

Edited by Jodou, 26 May 2011 - 11:06 PM.

#72 DukeEdwardI

DukeEdwardI

Whose Queens?

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 May 2011 - 11:36 PM

You had me at DRM-free. I knew CDPR wouldn't let me down! :D

After patching ZERO issues, everything was resolved. Either they fixed some issue that was locking me up or it was in fact the DRM. Either way, extremely happy I can finally start plowing through this!

Good to hear that. I assumed the issue you were having would be resolved after I read about the patch and the removal of the DRM. Go CDPR, go!

#73 cgarb84

cgarb84

KEAK HEEM IN DA BALLS!!!!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 May 2011 - 11:39 PM

My God the Steam patch is retarded. Almost 10 GIGS!!!! With my slow connection I will be lucky to even play the game tomorrow.
Posted Image

Posted Image
Posted Image

#74 Draekon

Draekon

Kung-Fu Panda

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 May 2011 - 12:59 PM

Yeah, a 15MB patch turns Steam's patch into 9GB. Fail on both Steam's patching system and CD Projeckt for having a 9GB single file.

#75 crystalklear64

crystalklear64

Posted 27 May 2011 - 01:13 PM

bummer for you steam guys.
Spoiler

Posted Image
Posted Image

#76 Draekon

Draekon

Kung-Fu Panda

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 May 2011 - 01:58 PM

I have both the retail version and the Steam version, but installed the Steam version for no DRM and cheese mints. It's not a big deal as I patched it in an hour, but still stupid and just kills my SSD ever so slightly faster.

#77 Jodou

Jodou

Posted 27 May 2011 - 05:19 PM

I'm seriously blown away with how they used depth of field in their cinematics; the cave scene at the start of Chapter 1 is truly impressive. It's honestly the best looking game I've seen since Crysis and ubersampling is ridiculous. I turned it off because you lose some sharpness, but on certain textures such as hair it really brings it to life.

On a side note, the animated sequences were quite a surprise and pretty awesome. These guys have story-telling nailed.

#78 BREVITY

BREVITY

The Soul of Wit.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 May 2011 - 06:32 PM

I agree, this game looks outstanding. I loved a lot of what was done in Crysis 2 also but there is so much more here. I hope they license this out to others to build upon.

I cant wait to get my new PC in and see how this looks on there.
3DS Friend Code:4382-1988-8437 QR Image http://yfrog.com/gzvezjyj
iOS GameCenter Name: BREVITY
Posted ImagePosted Image
Put your hand on a hot stove for a min. and it feels like an hour; play a cool game for an hour and it feels like a min. Brevity's def. of relativity.

#79 fr33l33

fr33l33

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 May 2011 - 12:03 AM

Ive never played a PC game before but this game has been tempting me to rush out and buy it. Thing is that I don't know if my PC is up to it. I have an XPS with a core i7 running at 2.9ghz, 8gbs of ddr3 and an ati 4850 with a gig of memory. Can anyone please tell me if the game would run at a good clip. Thanks in advance.

#80 Megazell

Megazell

Linux Gamer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 May 2011 - 02:34 AM

Ive never played a PC game before but this game has been tempting me to rush out and buy it. Thing is that I don't know if my PC is up to it. I have an XPS with a core i7 running at 2.9ghz, 8gbs of ddr3 and an ati 4850 with a gig of memory. Can anyone please tell me if the game would run at a good clip. Thanks in advance.

Try this.

Website Spotlight

Can You Run It?

Posted Image

What it does

This site provides a One-Click solution that looks at your computer's hardware and system software to determine whether or not your current system can run a product. Each of your computer's components is evaluated to see how well it meets the minimum and recommended requirements for specific products. Recommendations are made on how to update or upgrade each component which does not meet the listed requirements. Sometimes, a simple, free software download is all that is needed. Sometimes you'll find that you need a different video card to fully experience what the game has to offer.

http://cyri.systemre...lab.com/srtest/

Megazell's Comment - This website is ideal for those of you with current rigs that may need a small change or upgrade to play the game of your desire. Currently, the list only covers commercials games. When building new rigs or check out rigs that are donate to the center this site saves me a lot of time. Don't just rely on it by itself sometimes another review of the game or product you are looking for is needed to get a better overview of your options

--> Click Here! <--
For The Full List Of 'Free And Legal PC Games.'

Megazell's Free and Legal PC Games!

http://freeandlegalpcgames.wordpress.com/

It's free or Fuck it!

#81 z3razerviper

z3razerviper

Posted 29 May 2011 - 02:26 PM

All the preorder dlc is now available for free. http://www.en.thewit...unity/entry/34/

#82 crystalklear64

crystalklear64

Posted 29 May 2011 - 02:33 PM

nice.

Posted Image
Posted Image

#83 Draekon

Draekon

Kung-Fu Panda

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 May 2011 - 09:30 PM

Quote of the week:

"My favorite kind of magic, Lesbomancy."

Games makes fun of itself and quite a few other things.

Edited by Draekon, 30 May 2011 - 10:17 PM.

#84 SynGamer

SynGamer

Welcome to Night Vale

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 May 2011 - 11:38 PM

Waiting for a price drop but man I can't wait to get this!

g92sOMa.png4lNop7I.pngEwYfNFu.pngauyL8J9.pngszbgEtP.pngSoNL9s6.png

#85 Jodou

Jodou

Posted 31 May 2011 - 03:49 PM

Free DLC is a nice touch, but after never having mine DL properly I just finished the game without bothering.

You know, this game feels like such a cocktease. The first chapter and prologue are tough, engaging, really atmospheric -- just plain awesome. Then chapter 2 happens and the story weakens, the choices you make don't seem to carry as much weight, and things just get confusing. Without spoiling anything, only one choice at the end of chapter 1 seems to really effect the game in terms of what side of the map you play on for the first half of chapter 2. To top it off, it's one of those split-second choices where you're forced to make a decision in a matter of seconds.

That in itself doesn't really bother me, but the fact that your decisions allude to having some impact and then ultimately amount to nothing is disappointing. It's entirely possible that behind the scenes they do make a difference, but as you're playing through the first time you'd hardly notice. In fact, I had one quest go completely unresolved due to a choice I made and the quest even states that I should wait until later but after the credits rolled nothing came of it.

The ending and reveals are (I chose to spoiler this because while I don't reveal anything plotwise, don't read it if you don't want to be let down)
Spoiler

CDPR stated they were huge fans of 'weight' in Demon's Souls, but their combat system is just artificially hard at the start. By the time I was level 10 or 15 the game was an absolute joke for difficulty. I chose the swordsman tree to invest in and just worked all the way to the end picking up defensive abilities mostly. Once you have some key modifiers, you're basically invincible unless you're a complete drooler and can't use space bar to dodge efficiently. Bosses would just fall over dead after I'd dodge roll behind them and spam right-click. It's pretty obvious a lot of love went into chapter one, because it's the most balanced and polished part of the game. After that, the game just breaks down and nothing is difficult again.

I keep referring to chapter one because it also feels most like a Witcher game. Taking bounties on monsters, engaging huge beasts, that sort of thing. After chapter one, you're mostly fighting conscripts or elves and running errands around town. There's also entirely too much exposition and downtime, with few fights in between. This is a game that requires exploring to get any real sense of fun, because the quests become hollow and boring after chapter one. It's easy to get lost in a busy plot and subplots that quite frankly, aren't that interesting either.

It probably sounds like I hated the game, but the truth is that chapter one was just a cocktease for me. It's so good and rewarding that had it ended there, I would have been satisfied. That said, I'd still recommend it to anyone and I'm sure some people will enjoy chapter 2 & 3 more than I did. Just go in knowing that the choices you take won't make or break the ending. Just choose what comes natural and enjoy the ride.

#86 Draekon

Draekon

Kung-Fu Panda

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 June 2011 - 03:05 PM

Which side did you choose for Chapter 2? And the final decision in chapter 1 wasn't a split second decision. I could choose either side and complete any remaining sidequests after speaking with them (Just had to make sure I didn't choose the 'Lets GTFO!' option in the conversation). The way they wrote the lines for that part made it sound like it was suppose to be a rushed decision though.

Edited by Draekon, 01 June 2011 - 03:57 PM.

#87 take5giantsteps

take5giantsteps

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 June 2011 - 03:35 PM

This is the only game out that makes me wish I had a gaming PC.

#88 Jodou

Jodou

Posted 01 June 2011 - 06:49 PM

Which side did you choose for Chapter 2? And the final decision in chapter 1 wasn't a split second decision. I could choose either side and complete any remaining sidequests after speaking with them (Just had to make sure I didn't choose the 'Lets GTFO!' option in the conversation). The way they wrote the lines for that part made it sound like it was suppose to be a rushed decision though.

I went with Roche. The split-second decision I'm referring to was timed for sure. You basically had 5-10 seconds to chose who you were going to help because a fight was erupting around you. Granted, I don't actually know what would happen if you didn't choose, but I remember there being a little clock counting down next to the options.

#89 Draekon

Draekon

Kung-Fu Panda

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 June 2011 - 08:18 PM

Do you mean the part in the
Spoiler
? If so,
Spoiler
and could choose either side afterwords. I'm not sure what happens if you go the other way as I didn't bother reloading that branch to check the other decision.

And also, the decisions at the end of the game definitely seem to be set up to be imported into a sequel. I kindof wonder what happens if you don't
Spoiler

#90 Jodou

Jodou

Posted 01 June 2011 - 11:12 PM

Do you mean the part in the

Spoiler
? If so,
Spoiler
and could choose either side afterwords. I'm not sure what happens if you go the other way as I didn't bother reloading that branch to check the other decision.

And also, the decisions at the end of the game definitely seem to be set up to be imported into a sequel. I kindof wonder what happens if you don't
Spoiler

Yeah, that's the one. I also
Spoiler