Photo
- - - - -

Problem with Game Room.

• Please log in to reply
100 replies to this topic

#31 iKilledChewbacca

iKilledChewbacca

Trading Time Out (Under Investigation) Do not trade!

• Trading Timeout - Under Review

Posted 24 March 2010 - 09:10 PM

lmao once again Micro$oft messes up again :)

#32 SAB-CA

SAB-CA

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 March 2010 - 09:18 PM

As someone who was born after all (more than likely) of these games, I'm curious if anyone could suggest some games they think would be best on this first release.

Battlantis, Shao-Lin Road, Finalizer. They're among the most developed of this initial line of games, and feel more like simple SNES / Sega Genesis games, rather than Pre-Nintendo stuff.

Remember all, you have a potential 300 minutes of game demos here to try out. And you can even watch replays if don't fully "get" a game, after trying it out, or would prefer to see more than you were able to reach in those 10 min. In reality, it's a pretty well rounded package,.

#33 lordwow

lordwow

Fmr. VP of the OTT

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 March 2010 - 09:24 PM

Astrosmash is probably the best of the Intellivision bunch.
Currently Playing: Borderlands 2 (360), Black Ops (360)

Posted Image

#34 septiclemon

septiclemon

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 March 2010 - 09:51 PM

Ok, I found a few more issues. Setting up Challeges and summiting scores doesn't always work, plus there's a weird glitch where it'll randomly finish the challenge eventhough there's another 6 days and 23 hours to go! Microsoft needs to sort this out...

Plus I noticed a friend of mine is playing GameRoom on the PC, where can you download the PC version from?
Posted Image

#35 JStryke

JStryke

Angel With A Shotgun

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 March 2010 - 10:00 PM

As someone who was born after all (more than likely) of these games, I'm curious if anyone could suggest some games they think would be best on this first release.

I'm not familiar with most of them (wasn't born until 89), but I was playing the demo a bit for Super Cobra,and while it's hard for me to place points on anything at the moment, I was having a good bit of fun with that one. Something about retro style helicopter games, I seem to love them all for whatever reason.

card.png

#36 screwkick

screwkick

It's T-Shirt Time...

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 March 2010 - 10:26 PM

I remember spending many an hour at arcades both in malls and at the Jersey shore every summer, but I can honestly say, so far there isn't one game I'm interested in buying. Cool arcade sound effects though. ;)

#37 BlueWingX

BlueWingX

Master of Trivia

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 March 2010 - 10:49 PM

I was pretty excited for this, and I've been loving the chance to play Crystal Castles again, but I'm a bit dissappointed. I bought Combat, figuring that my friends and I could play it online, even if they had to buy it too. Sadly, it seems to be local multiplayer only. You can't even play against a computer opponent. Oh well, guess I'll just have to get some friends over to play... Does anyone know if I'm wrong about it, and I just couldn't get online multiplayer working right?
Posted ImagePosted Image
Mr. BlueWingX's Signature provided by onetrackmind

#38 KingBroly

KingBroly

CAG Club Nintendo

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 March 2010 - 11:49 PM

Here's my problem with Game Room: It SUCKS like we all thought it would.

#1 - There's almost nothing good; and the good stuff you can actually play legitimately for free online(Adventure, I'm looking at you)

#2 - One time demos? Give me a break. If I disconnect my XBL while playing, I'm booted off the demo, and oh look, I can't play the demo anymore. They should either give you an allocated amount of time per game that is kept track of server side or just give you unlimited demos.

#3 - Nothing in terms of new features. There should be some kind of online component to some of these games. If they put games like TMNT, Simpsons Arcade and X-Men on here WITHOUT online, there's no damn point.

#4 - The controls are TERRIBLE. Half the time you don't know what you're doing.
Completed Games: 2011 | 2012
CAG Club Nintendo Thread
Posted Image

#39 mtxbass1

mtxbass1

This space for rent.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 March 2010 - 01:02 AM

I'm very disappointed by this. I can't tell what half of the games are. The nickel and diming of this is putting me off as well. If they made this a monthly subscription service, I'd gladly give them lots of dollars.

#40 FriskyTanuki

FriskyTanuki

Get bopped, son.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 March 2010 - 01:16 AM

The worst thing is that it gives you 5 points for just using it once, so you can never get rid of it from your achievement list even if you never start it up ever again.

#41 bsesb2003

bsesb2003

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 March 2010 - 01:57 AM

I can't say that I like it so far. As far as the load issue, I uninstalled and then reinstalled and it works fine. I did have a 2600, and I have to say that in my mind these games were better than they actually were. So if I were MSFT, I'd try to get some newer games in there. How cool would it be to have an arcade Daytona racing with 20+ people on line.
[cp][/cp]

#42 Halo05

Halo05

Posted 25 March 2010 - 02:44 AM

Astrosmash is probably the best of the Intellivision bunch.

I concur.

Back in 1995ish, my friend Jimmy and I dug out his older siblings old (even in 1995) Intellivision and hooked it up. He had like 40 games but most of them were pretty blah. The one shining exception that I recall was Astrosmash. On one of my tries on Astrosmash I fell into some crazy groove and played one credit for something approaching 45 minutes. It got to a point where I was bored with the game, it's like it had stopped getting more difficult.

I tried the Astrosmash demo and didn't fall into any sort of gaming trance. Ah well, I might buy the full version and see what happens.

As many of you know, black ops 2 is plaid with bugs, lag etc which many people have been suffering including me.

plaid plaid plaid plaid plaid plaid plaid plaid plaid plaid plaid plaid plaid plaid plaid

#43 Afflicted

Afflicted

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 March 2010 - 02:49 AM

Growing up during the golden age of arcades (yes I remember when space invaders was brand new) I've been looking forward for this... and do plan on picking up several from the list. When I break down and finally buy points that is.

Always loved Tempest... so that's a definate...

Crystal Castles yup...

prolly go for Scramble and Super Cobra...

mostly tho I plan on sticking with the Arcade games... not much interested in the 2600/intellivision stuff... Maybe a few of them but a very select few... Having owned a 2600 I was always disappointed at how unlike the actual arcade games the arcade ports were for the system.

Hopefully it does well enough for them to keep adding games and spread them out over the years... Would LOVE to see Tron and Gorf....

#44 darth007

darth007

Brand New Eyes

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 March 2010 - 03:18 AM

These games are too retro for me. I was born in the late 80s so I only got to play arcade games from the 90s and early 2000s. Those were some good times. All the malls around here had an arcade, now only 1 of them remains. The one that remains has some cool games like Ninja Gaiden, King of Fighters XI and a ton of Capcom fighting games. Until some 90s games show up, I'm not using Game Room again.
Posted Image

#45 Tsukento

Tsukento

King of Pirates

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 March 2010 - 04:45 AM

I'm really not liking how this is being played off. Seeing Game Packs being listed as free add-ons and then finding out that you have to PAY for them in order to keep them or play them anywhere is a load of crap.

For starters, no where in the packs' descriptions do they indicate that what you're downloading will require you to pay for to play. Not only that, but some of the games are just downright not that great. Having to download an entire pack just to play maybe one or two games is a nightmare for those with limited hard drive space.

But maybe it's just me being delusional. Part of me continues to hope that MS will actually some day throw Gold users a bone and make a service 100% free considering we're paying to use the fucking premium service.

#46 Kerig

Kerig

Brown Thursday = $149 Zelda 3DSXL!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 March 2010 - 06:03 AM

Biggest problem with the Game Room right now is that these aren't arcade games. I don't want to play the awful ports that were shoddily made for the 2600 and Intellivision. Where's The Smurfs?

I tried about 10 demos and couldn't last the 10 minutes they were giving me before having to exit out of it. Crystal Castles almost made me vomit at its sheer ugliness and lack of trackball controls.

On the bright side: you can get about 80 gamerscore in less than 10 minutes, without paying a quarter to MS. (mess with the My Arcade section)

:3ds: 1607-3007-9618

cag%20kerig.png

#47 Freemason

Freemason

I'd Hit That...

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 March 2010 - 06:18 AM

personally, being an arcade rat from age 5 ( 1985 ) and adopting my first major foray into video games with nintendo, atari, and the local arcade, i find it actually pretty cool. yes many of the release games suck, yes it sucks you have to buy them for 240 a pop, and leveling up to get more stuff is pretty insanely time consuming unless you buy every game and drop bronze medals just to burn through points to level... but seeing my multiplex of old classics with teh sights and sounds of the classic arcade scene made me nostalgic and excited to play the raw, basic, finger twitching goodness of old school retro titles.

i bought about a dozen games of varying types and set up my arcade, more of just a collecting standpoint at this point to look in on my area and see many of the roots for which i started gaming. if nothing else, its fun to go here the sights and sounds, play some centipede, asteroids, combat, and others, and just get away from the better graphics, bigger guns, more complex games of today for some simple retro goodness....

now.... get us some post 1990 stuff and bigger titles - some gauntlet, turtles, altered beast, SNK stuff, X-men, Smash TV.... then you will be handed my money hand over fist to pimp my virtual arcade and embrace the dream of a fledgling gamer from the 80's to today - owning my own arcade.

Currently Playing:

:pc: Payday 2 , Saints Row 4, Steam Games

fs_overall.png

#48 thwak

thwak

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 March 2010 - 06:31 AM

I'm wondering when activision is going to hop onto this thing. I'd be really disappointed if activision didn't want to port their library of 2600 games to the game room.

That being said I do like the idea of the game room. Bring back a bunch of really obscure old school games that normally wouldn't get re-released in one package. I understand why some people may not like the selection of games since they're not seeing titles they remember, but I'm happy to finally play games like jungler and scramble.

#49 Spybreak9

Spybreak9

$$$$$ Game Scholar

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 March 2010 - 07:04 AM

Haha some of these bring me back and some I'm completely new to them. I'm enjoying the demos of most given their game that hasn't aged well approach.
N7_Spectres are not trained, but chosen_N7, Check out my personal Gaming 4 Life gaming blog for gaming talk.Spybreaker.pnguc.png
:D Destiny, Dragon Age: Inquisition, Sunset Overdrive, The Master Chief Collection, The Witcher 3
3DS Friend Code: 0903-2908-9378

#50 Viva Las Vegas

Viva Las Vegas

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 March 2010 - 02:08 PM

I remember when Space Invaders arrived at the arcade and I didn't know what to do. My first play I just shot up the three little huts at the bottom- ha ha.

Growing up during the golden age of arcades (yes I remember when space invaders was brand new) I've been looking forward for this... and do plan on picking up several from the list. When I break down and finally buy points that is.

#51 BingoBrown

BingoBrown

Master Assassin

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 March 2010 - 02:29 PM

I like everything about Game Room... except the available games and prices.

The whole concept is cool, the customizability is cool, but the prices just suck. And these aren't the kind of arcade games I'm really interested in, they're a little too old skool for me. Bring me this, at $5 even, and you have an instant purchase:

Posted Image

#52 chembree

chembree

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 March 2010 - 02:53 PM

personally, being an arcade rat from age 5 ( 1985 ) and adopting my first major foray into video games with nintendo, atari, and the local arcade, i find it actually pretty cool. yes many of the release games suck, yes it sucks you have to buy them for 240 a pop, and leveling up to get more stuff is pretty insanely time consuming unless you buy every game and drop bronze medals just to burn through points to level... but seeing my multiplex of old classics with teh sights and sounds of the classic arcade scene made me nostalgic and excited to play the raw, basic, finger twitching goodness of old school retro titles.

i bought about a dozen games of varying types and set up my arcade, more of just a collecting standpoint at this point to look in on my area and see many of the roots for which i started gaming. if nothing else, its fun to go here the sights and sounds, play some centipede, asteroids, combat, and others, and just get away from the better graphics, bigger guns, more complex games of today for some simple retro goodness....

I feel the same way, and I'm happy that I am not the only one!! .. thanks for the post -- I plan to grab about 10 games for the weekend .. (i hope they release Stocker!!)

#53 wakawakawa

wakawakawa

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 March 2010 - 03:16 PM

I like the interface and the emulation seems good enough, but for me... the games are a little too classic. I grew up on this stuff, but I would rather play the top Xbox Indie games (and xbla), then the current game room selection.

Stuff like Decimation X from Xbox indies would fit perfectly here. That would be a great way to increase exposure to the best Indie games. Promote certain games to game room status. Something like that probably won't happen though.

#54 uglyteradon

uglyteradon

CAG-tastrophe!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 March 2010 - 04:05 PM

I ended buying three games last night and trying to beat friends scores in them. Although one of my "free mascots with purchase" has disappeared on me and Microsoft hasn't mentioned that problem yet.

Anybody else face the same thing?

#55 4thHorseman

4thHorseman

The New God

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 March 2010 - 05:05 PM

I ended buying three games last night and trying to beat friends scores in them. Although one of my "free mascots with purchase" has disappeared on me and Microsoft hasn't mentioned that problem yet.

Anybody else face the same thing?

Of course of all the games they have, the one I bought (the Shao-Lin one) didn't have a mascot from what I could tell.

Really hoping for others that catch my interest. I played the demos for all of them and that was the only one that I had fun with. Even got the gold medals for it already.

#56 Spybreak9

Spybreak9

$$$$$ Game Scholar

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 March 2010 - 07:44 PM

I played Combat but it was only 1 Player, is there no AI support? I used to play that on my parents Atari 2600 back in the day. Also I never knew they made an Asteroids sequel! (mainly due to the fact that most arcade games were created with new ideas and not sequels) lol
N7_Spectres are not trained, but chosen_N7, Check out my personal Gaming 4 Life gaming blog for gaming talk.Spybreaker.pnguc.png
:D Destiny, Dragon Age: Inquisition, Sunset Overdrive, The Master Chief Collection, The Witcher 3

#57 CaptainJoel

CaptainJoel

Captain fuckin' Marvel

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 March 2010 - 07:59 PM

The whole concept is cool, the customizability is cool, but the prices just suck. And these aren't the kind of arcade games I'm really interested in, they're a little too old skool for me. Bring me this, at $5 even, and you have an instant purchase:

Posted Image

I'd pay $12 for that! I'd probably even buy it for my PS3 if they went multiplat with it.

#58 4thHorseman

4thHorseman

The New God

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 March 2010 - 08:12 PM

Posted Image

I just hope they realize how much fans want games like this and don't put it off until much later in the Game Room game cycle. Most of these old school games I have no interest in, especially Intellivision. My god, I was lost on those controls.

#59 Spybreak9

Spybreak9

$$$$$ Game Scholar

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 March 2010 - 08:24 PM

Give me Frogger, Pitfall, Enduro, Kaboom!, Video Pinball, Pac Man, and yeah you can leave out ET.

#60 BlueWingX

BlueWingX

Master of Trivia

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 March 2010 - 08:39 PM

I hope we get some more obscure games as well as higher profile ones. I'd never played Battlantis before, but I thought it was pretty cool. I'd like to see Peter Packrat show up one day. I spent a lot of quarters on that one as a kid, and it seems like very few people even remember it... Circus Charlie would be a good one, too.
Posted ImagePosted Image
Mr. BlueWingX's Signature provided by onetrackmind