Gamestop Game Days Sale - Extra 10% off, online only

• Please log in to reply
1658 replies to this topic

#1621 donssword

donssword

Gaming longer than u

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 April 2010 - 07:17 PM

Eh, to be fair, it's not necessarily totally their fault.

Not to be argumentative, but I have to disagree. A retailer should manage its stock.

--
My first console: the Teletype 33.

DonsSword.png

#1622 bigdaddybruce44

bigdaddybruce44

Murders & Executions

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 April 2010 - 07:21 PM

Not to be argumentative, but I have to disagree. A retailer should manage its stock.

How are you going to manage somehow walking off with a case and a manual? I sure as hell wouldn't buy the disc-only copy, but I wouldn't hold it against the store. It's not their fault some dirtbag, idiotic thieve walked into their store.

#1623 arcane93

arcane93

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 April 2010 - 07:28 PM

Well, I said "not necessarily totally their fault," not "not their fault." I agree that they should manage their stock. But you know what? When you put a reasonably small item on a shelf, no matter how many employees you have watching it, if someone really wants to walk away with it they will (hence why gutting becomes a necessary evil in GameStop's eyes). Especially at a heavy-traffic store like a mall GameStop, where there are many times when there are far more customers wandering around than there are employees to keep an eye on them.

The only alternative would be to keep everything under lock and key, and no one would like that situation either.

#1624 Confucius

Confucius

Yeah I fixed it

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 April 2010 - 07:31 PM

I agree. And if the clerk in my situation had said "I can't find the new case. do you mind the old one?" that would have been fine. But she just passed off the old shite case as new.

Ees7Y.jpg

I'm 100% shocked that books still exist in today's day and age. I thought they'd be out by now. They make up like 1% of today's entertainment and unless you're 60 or older, stray away from books and start emersing yourself with real entertainment.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Codes for Free / Codes for Trade

#1625 arcane93

arcane93

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 April 2010 - 07:35 PM

I agree. And if the clerk in my situation had said "I can't find the new case. do you mind the old one?" that would have been fine. But she just passed off the old shite case as new.

Yeah, that's bullshit, and I wouldn't have been happy in that case either (in fact, I would have probably told her in no uncertain terms what she could do with her old shite case -- I'm not terribly shy about that). I was responding more to the guy who was telling people never to go back to a store just because that store had a new game that was missing the box and manual.

#1626 jterp7

jterp7

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 April 2010 - 07:45 PM

in fairness, some people have stricter standards in what is new to them. In that person's case, just don't shop at GS anymore..seeing as nowadays there are a ridiculous amount of alternatives. I personally would not take a gutted copy of ANYTHING that is considered new and it has yet to happen to me at any of my purchases at GS/EB.

#1627 Confucius

Confucius

Yeah I fixed it

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 April 2010 - 07:57 PM

Yeah, that's bullshit, and I wouldn't have been happy in that case either (in fact, I would have probably told her in no uncertain terms what she could do with her old shite case -- I'm not terribly shy about that). I was responding more to the guy who was telling people never to go back to a store just because that store had a new game that was missing the box and manual.

Yeah I know. Was just addressing the topic at hand.

Gamestop's motto should be "If you haven't seen it before, it's new to you!"

Ees7Y.jpg

I'm 100% shocked that books still exist in today's day and age. I thought they'd be out by now. They make up like 1% of today's entertainment and unless you're 60 or older, stray away from books and start emersing yourself with real entertainment.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#1628 IAmTheCheapestGamer

IAmTheCheapestGamer

Posted 28 April 2010 - 08:26 PM

The only alternative would be to keep everything under lock and key, and no one would like that situation either.

Actually, I'd be totally ok with that, since then I'd be able to always get a new copy of a game that's truly 100% NEW and hasn't been handled by a hundred people with their grubby mitts.

Unlike the typical Gamestop customer, I have a thing called patience and I can wait while they get me a new/sealed game out of a case.

Why the hell Gamestop can't follow Toys R' Us' lead and have blank DVD cases with printed up coverart for display copies is beyond me. But I guess the half cent a case and maybe penny or two to print up coverart would cut too deeply into their profits.:roll:

i added a link to more wang pics. yu wang i mean not wang wang as in penis.

Sarcasm-Just one of the many services I offer.
Posted Image

#1629 A Happy Panda

A Happy Panda

not as happy as you think

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 April 2010 - 09:23 PM

Actually, I'd be totally ok with that, since then I'd be able to always get a new copy of a game that's truly 100% NEW and hasn't been handled by a hundred people with their grubby mitts.

Unlike the typical Gamestop customer, I have a thing called patience and I can wait while they get me a new/sealed game out of a case.

Why the hell Gamestop can't follow Toys R' Us' lead and have blank DVD cases with printed up coverart for display copies is beyond me. But I guess the half cent a case and maybe penny or two to print up coverart would cut too deeply into their profits.:roll:

This.

#1630 arcane93

arcane93

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 April 2010 - 09:34 PM

That's never going to happen, though. Face it, we're not GameStop's core customer base. Their core customer base is soccer moms looking for something to get their brats to shut up for a few days. It's teenagers who have saved up their allowance to get the new sports game. And those people don't care. As long as those people don't care, and keep giving GameStop their money, GameStop isn't going to change what they're doing.

So really, there's no point at all in calling for a boycott or whatever. If you can't live with what they are, then don't shop there. As I've said before, I'll only buy from them when the deal is significantly better than I can get anywhere else -- when that's the case, I'm willing to put up with a gutted game (as long as it's in good condition otherwise) or whatever. If you can't handle that, though, just go somewhere else.

#1631 scottman

scottman

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 April 2010 - 09:35 PM

I remember when toys r us used to just put the front/back box art flat on ring hangers all along the walls and shelves, with tickets below each game. You take the ticket to buy the game from a back store room. Huge aisles of just box art on the walls. Those were the days.

#1632 A Happy Panda

A Happy Panda

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 April 2010 - 09:39 PM

That's never going to happen, though. Face it, we're not GameStop's core customer base. Their core customer base is soccer moms looking for something to get their brats to shut up for a few days. It's teenagers who have saved up their allowance to get the new sports game. And those people don't care. As long as those people don't care, and keep giving GameStop their money, GameStop isn't going to change what they're doing.

So really, there's no point at all in calling for a boycott or whatever. If you can't live with what they are, then don't shop there. As I've said before, I'll only buy from them when the deal is significantly better than I can get anywhere else -- when that's the case, I'm willing to put up with a gutted game (as long as it's in good condition otherwise) or whatever. If you can't handle that, though, just go somewhere else.

No one said boycott. And if you want gutted games, that's fine. But for those who like their games to be actually new, that's an issue.

I also don't think anyone claimed every Gamestop was an offender. In my previous post, if one of your local GS does something that pisses you off (doesn't give TIVs over the phone, sells gutted as new and advertises it as new) just don't shop at that particular Gamestop.

#1633 y2jasper

y2jasper

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 April 2010 - 09:44 PM

I remember when toys r us used to just put the front/back box art flat on ring hangers all along the walls and shelves, with tickets below each game. You take the ticket to buy the game from a back store room. Huge aisles of just box art on the walls. Those were the days.

i remember those days. they were a simpler time. i was only 9 or 10 then and i had a sega genesis after the next gen of consoles had come out. i would go with my parents every week or two and buy a new game for like $10, and base my decision solely on the coverart lol. how things have changed.

#1634 bigdaddybruce44

bigdaddybruce44

Murders & Executions

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 April 2010 - 09:59 PM

That's never going to happen, though. Face it, we're not GameStop's core customer base.

Thank you. Anyone who has been on CAG for more than a month should have figured that out by now. GS doesn't care about us and our "issues" with their business practices. They're not going to stop opening games. They are not going to print up covers. They are not going to use glass cases. They are not going to use any kind of anti-theft devices. They just aren't. That would cost money, and it is money they don't think they need to spend, because the majority of the customers don't care.

#1635 donssword

donssword

Gaming longer than u

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 April 2010 - 10:08 PM

In the interest of full disclosure of what a hypocrite I am, I convinced a co-worker to hit a GS on the waaay other side of town to scout the other "new" Steambot Chronicles they supposedly had. The store is one she passes every day on her commute.

They had it, it was "Gamestop new" (opened but sealed in their little square envelope) and came with a new manual (not perfect, having been bashed somehow, but new enough), case, and insert. She snagged it for me.

I have what I wanted--but in retrospect it would have been easier to score it on ebay.

--
My first console: the Teletype 33.

DonsSword.png

#1636 Tigershard

Tigershard

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 April 2010 - 10:08 PM

I picked up Cursed Mountain yesterday for $8.75. I didn't know the Game Days sale was over, grabbed the game from the 50 % Game Days bin, but was happy that it rung up cheaper than the $9.99 Game Days price sticker. I also grabbed a copy of Sacred 2 PS3 from the bin, but the store manager could not find the game anywhere. They called another Gamestop and had them hold it for me. When I got there, it rang up at $29.99. I protested, because all the Game Days 50% off signs were still up at that store too, but the clerk told me the sale was over and that was the price. I told her to keep it and just left.

I'm not against gutted games as long as everything still looks new. Only time I actually had a problem with it was when I bought a new, gutted copy of Yakuza 2 a few months back. For a new game, it looked worse than a rental. The clerk claimed it was just dusty and got jostled around a lot in the drawer, but I didn't believe him. It was either used or store clerks were taking it home to play. Haven't been back to that Gamestop since.

#1637 eau

eau

KP-X 00-00-00-00-1

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 April 2010 - 10:11 PM

Gamestop's motto should be "If you haven't seen it before, it's new to you!"

It should be "If it's marked new in our system, it's brand new." :)
"Woah! This pain feels so good! So good!" — Albedo / Xenosaga

#1638 loomis1975

loomis1975

Cell Block CAG

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 April 2010 - 10:42 PM

My local Toys R Us still has that system for the regular console games. I always thought it was weird in this day and age. Its the only Toys R Us I've been in that still does it that way.

#1639 bigdaddybruce44

bigdaddybruce44

Murders & Executions

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 April 2010 - 10:52 PM

Geez, bringing me back with mention of the old ticket system at TRU. I remember the guy that worked in the little electronic's booth in my local store back then was a bit of weirdo.

#1640 Confucius

Confucius

Yeah I fixed it

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 April 2010 - 11:35 PM

Geez, bringing me back with mention of the old ticket system at TRU. I remember the guy that worked in the little electronic's booth in my local store back then was a bit of weirdo.

Did you let him touch your special purpose in exchange for Super Mario Bros 2?

Would you like someone to talk to about it?

The Church of Scientology is here to help.

Ees7Y.jpg

#1641 IAmTheCheapestGamer

IAmTheCheapestGamer

Posted 28 April 2010 - 11:41 PM

I wasn't calling for a boycott of their stores and I actually DO shop there for a bunch of stuff, though ONLY when I have cheap credit built up.

Otherwise, they're just another MSRP-Mart(WalMart clone)and the only good deals are when there's a glitch in their system that we can exploit(39% off deal recently).

But one thing I won't stand for usually is gutted games, unless I'm buying them with the aforementioned cheap credit. But as soon as I'm paying any portion in cash to them, it better be sealed or I don't need that game at that point(from them anyway).

Posted Image

#1642 mvalley

mvalley

Posted 29 April 2010 - 12:34 AM

Managed to grab the last copy of the Fallout trilogy for a cool eight bucks.

It looks like some of their games are back to normal price and some of them are on ultra clearance.

#1643 Pumaman

Pumaman

Posted 29 April 2010 - 12:55 AM

Picked up the last copy of House of the Dead Overkill at my store for 12.99. I'm also really tempted to snag a copy of Persona 4.

#1644 arcane93

arcane93

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 April 2010 - 02:09 AM

No one said boycott.

I have to disagree; that's pretty much exactly what you're saying here:

Seriously. I implore people to NEVER go back to offending Gamestops.

Boycott: To abstain, either as an individual or group, from using, buying, or dealing with someone or some organisation as an expression of protest.

So if what you're calling for isn't a boycott, what do you call refusing to go back to a store in protest for an experience that you've had there?

And no, I'm not saying that there's anything unreasonable about refusing to go back to a store that does something really major. There are certainly stores out there that I won't go back to. Not being able to find the case and manual for one game, though, doesn't really strike me as meriting such a strong stance.

And if you want gutted games, that's fine. But for those who like their games to be actually new, that's an issue.

I don't think anyone said they "want" gutted games. I said that if the deal is good enough (i.e. significantly better than I can get on the game anywhere else), and the game/case/manual is in like-new condition other than being opened, I'm willing to grudgingly accept it. That being said, GameStop has lost a lot of business from me that they'd probably get otherwise, in cases where the deal hasn't been good enough for me to accept it.

I also don't think anyone claimed every Gamestop was an offender.

Nope, I don't think anyone did.

In my previous post, if one of your local GS does something that pisses you off (doesn't give TIVs over the phone, sells gutted as new and advertises it as new) just don't shop at that particular Gamestop.

In other words, boycott them. ;) I mean, hey, you decide what you think is bad enough to merit that, of course. That being said, doesn't "sells gutted as new" describe pretty much every GameStop out there? I don't think I've ever been in a GameStop that doesn't gut games.

#1645 A Happy Panda

A Happy Panda

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 April 2010 - 04:12 AM

Aaaand wow. I'm utterly blown away at the time and effort you've taken to copy and paste quotes from my posts to take an argument with a stranger on the internet to such lengths. No problem with disagreeing with people on the internet, but that amount of effort is new to me.

You win. But I still maintain I never said boycott the entire company. I said "offending Gamestops" and "if one of your local GS."

If some punk ass clerk is gonna look me in the eye and say "what, you're not going to buy it just because it doesn't have a case/manual?" I'm gonna say no, and leave and never go back to that store. Or if some clerk is going to try to sell me a gutted game as new? Not going back. It doesn't matter if the game is still mint or whatever. I expect a discount as soon as that shrink wrap is broken.

To be clear, my big issue isn't with the gutting (which is still stupid) but its when they try to sell gutted as new, and as some others have said, sell it as new even without the case or manual.

But I'm done arguing. Thread is way off topic, and from what I've seen, you probably wouldn't stop if I didn't.

You win.

#1646 arcane93

arcane93

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 April 2010 - 05:43 AM

Um, yeah, so much time and effort involved in hitting the "multi-quote" button. :roll: That post took a whole two minutes (at most) to write!

Anyway, yeah, discussion is pointless because you 1) aren't reading what I'm saying, you're reading what you want to read (as is made clear by the fact that you're still going on about "the entire company" when I never once said that, and even acknowledged in my last post that we weren't talking about that), and 2) are clearly over-reactionary anyway (as is made clear by -- well, just about everything).

Back to our regularly scheduled programming . . .

#1647 CAiNiAC

CAiNiAC

~Baby got Backlog~

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 April 2010 - 07:45 PM

I miss those days so much.

apathy.gif

#1648 Wolfpup

Wolfpup

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 April 2010 - 08:21 PM

I *think* one store near here still uses the old method. That was kind of fun. Oooooh, remember those glass cases filled with the game systems? I remember drooling over those all-powerful Genesis, Turbographix, TurboCD, etc. systems. MAN. I'd love to go back in time with the ability to just buy whatever I wanted, and stock up on all that stuff. So many great games (as if I don't have enough great games now! Still, I love thinking about all that stuff-I think most of us could still have a great time playing just NES and 16-bit stuff).
Please help cure diseases like cancer and Parkinson's by running Folding @ Home! :)
Recent games, Netflix Scale:
[LIST]

Posted Image

#1649 CAiNiAC

CAiNiAC

~Baby got Backlog~

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 April 2010 - 08:30 PM

I *think* one store near here still uses the old method. That was kind of fun. Oooooh, remember those glass cases filled with the game systems? I remember drooling over those all-powerful Genesis, Turbographix, TurboCD, etc. systems. MAN. I'd love to go back in time with the ability to just buy whatever I wanted, and stock up on all that stuff. So many great games (as if I don't have enough great games now! Still, I love thinking about all that stuff-I think most of us could still have a great time playing just NES and 16-bit stuff).

Absolutely. I still do infact. I have nearly all of my original Genesis and SNES titles with system still perfectly intact.

There are a few games I traded away back in the day that I regret though.

apathy.gif

#1650 IAmTheCheapestGamer

IAmTheCheapestGamer

Posted 30 April 2010 - 08:35 PM

I actually know of several Toys R'Us stores that still did things this way the last time I visited either.

The one out by the Lycoming Mall out in Williamsport(PA) and one up in Johnson City(NY) both still had this system the last time I was to either.

As for the classic stuff, I used to have everything mint/complete in every gen AFTER the Atari 2600 days, when I used to be like the now typical GS customer and chuck out the packaging/instructions and just keep the cartridges.

I too regret trading some of the prior gen games away as well, since some are worth damn good money now.:bomb:

Posted Image