Netflix on Wii (discs are shipping)

crunchewy

CAGiversary!
Feedback
34 (100%)
I just got notification from Netflix that I can expect my Wii Netflix streaming disc tomorrow. I'm looking forward to trying it out. I'm hoping that it gives better results then our 360, which is probably not the case for most, but we have a DSL connection that isn't quite up to the HD streams that are being sent to the 360 and so it keeps hiccuping and dropping to much lower quality and then back again. It drives me bonkers (and looks really terrible when it lowers the quality). My hope is that the 480p stream sent to the Wii will play with consistently good quality, and if it's as good as a DVD I'll be quite happy with it. Will definitely be testing it out tomorrow and will post impressions.

Request a free Netflix Streaming Disc here:

http://www.netflix.com/InstantStreamingDisc?device=Wii

Cool. I don't have netflix anymore, but I will definitely look into re-upping for this. I signed up for more info when it launched for Wii, but haven't seen an email yet.

I'd love to hear how the quality is, and if it's widescreen or whatnot.

FYI, you need to have an "unlimited" netflix plan in order to use the netflix streaming disc for Wii (or at least I think so - you need to for the 360, so it's probably the same for the Wii. The cheapest unlimited plan is quite cheap though. Forget the price off hand, but it's what I have.

Also, I realized that I probably won't get to try the streaming disc for real until later this weekend. I'll give it a quick test on Friday, but before passing judgement I'll need to sit down and watch a whole movie via it.

[quote name='crunchewy']FYI, you need to have an "unlimited" netflix plan in order to use the netflix streaming disc for Wii (or at least I think so - you need to for the 360, so it's probably the same for the Wii. QUOTE]

10 bucks

I have a Sony Blu player that has internet and Netflix that we've been using.

I'll compare to that too. I'm betting that the Sony will be better, but not sure if the Wii has the memory it needs.

[quote name='crunchewy']I just got notification from Netflix that I can expect my Wii Netflix streaming disc tomorrow. I'm looking forward to trying it out. I'm hoping that it gives better results then our 360, which is probably not the case for most, but we have a DSL connection that isn't quite up to the HD streams that are being sent to the 360 and so it keeps hiccuping and dropping to much lower quality and then back again. It drives me bonkers (and looks really terrible when it lowers the quality). My hope is that the 480p stream sent to the Wii will play with consistently good quality, and if it's as good as a DVD I'll be quite happy with it. Will definitely be testing it out tomorrow and will post impressions.

Request a free Netflix Streaming Disc here:

http://www.netflix.com/InstantStreamingDisc?device=Wii[/QUOTE]

It all depends on your DSL speed. Using a different device probably won't help in obtaining better pic quality. If it wasn't that great thru the 360, don't expect much difference through the Wii.

I had Netflix (360) with my older 667kbps DSL and the picture was watchable but not ideal.

[quote name='TXboxGuY']It all depends on your DSL speed. Using a different device probably won't help in obtaining better pic quality. If it wasn't that great thru the 360, don't expect much difference through the Wii.

I had Netflix (360) with my older 667kbps DSL and the picture was watchable but not ideal.[/QUOTE]

The picture is superb and in 720p HD... for about 3 to 5 minutes and then the screen goes black and says "adjusting for changes in the network", then the picture comes back but it's terribly pixelated like it is severely compressed (which I'm sure it is). Then a while later the screen goes black again and it says "adjusting for changes in the network" and then it looks superb again. Etc. It wouldn't be that bad if it had something closer to the lower picture quality and just didn't do that damnable, jarring "adjusting for changes in the network" black screen. Just give me a consistent, fluid picture. Further, I'm fairly sure it is sending me a 720p picture still when it's bad, just heavily compressed, which looks terrible. Or it is way over compensating and lowering the quality way too far, which in then switches back from because it finds it has plenty of headroom. If it would just send 480p or even 480i with less compression, I would think it would look much better. In any case, as long as it doesn't keep stopping and starting it will be a substantial improvement.

We shall see.

I just hate the fact that you need to use a disc. I wish it was just like the xbox but we will find out tomorrow. I was rather surprised about the email notification although rather funny because I was just thinking about it the other day.

[quote name='skiizim']I just hate the fact that you need to use a disc. I wish it was just like the xbox but we will find out tomorrow. I was rather surprised about the email notification although rather funny because I was just thinking about it the other day.[/QUOTE]
I think Microsoft paid dearly to have it exclusive to their console, and that's why the PS3 and Wii need the disc. Once the exclusivity ends, I'd imagine we'll see an app or channel that won't require a disc.

I haven't fully tested it out yet, but we watched about an hour of Bolt and so far so good. Obviously the picture quality isn't as good as the 360 for those first 3 or 5 minutes for me on the 360, but it's better then when the 360 kicks into low-quality mode and, equally important, no hiccups so far at all. No jolting switching to a black screen and then back! So, so far I'd call it a win. But that's just an initial impression. I haven't exactly put it through the ringer yet. Oh, also the movies start playing faster, no doubt because it's sending less then 720p, so that's a plus too. Of course if you've got an internet connection that can handle 720p, you're better off watching on the 360, otherwise you should give the Wii a shot, that's for sure.

[quote name='crunchewy']I haven't fully tested it out yet, but we watched about an hour of Bolt and so far so good. Obviously the picture quality isn't as good as the 360 for those first 3 or 5 minutes for me on the 360, but it's better then when the 360 kicks into low-quality mode and, equally important, no hiccups so far at all. No jolting switching to a black screen and then back! So, so far I'd call it a win. But that's just an initial impression. I haven't exactly put it through the ringer yet. Oh, also the movies start playing faster, no doubt because it's sending less then 720p, so that's a plus too. Of course if you've got an internet connection that can handle 720p, you're better off watching on the 360, otherwise you should give the Wii a shot, that's for sure.[/QUOTE]

Sounds like your 360 goes into low quality mode when your bandwidth can't keep up. For me I don't have that problem so 360 always looks better than the Wii. You can tell especially during scenes with lot of shadows. Definitely more pixelated junk on the Wii. This is comparing non-HD content on both 360 and the Wii.

There really is no reason to use Netflix on the Wii unless your 360 and PS3 is being used by someone else.

[quote name='Lawyers Guns N Money']I think Microsoft paid dearly to have it exclusive to their console, and that's why the PS3 and Wii need the disc. Once the exclusivity ends, I'd imagine we'll see an app or channel that won't require a disc.[/QUOTE]

Maybe Netflix approached all 3 about streaming and only Microsoft was interested. And Microsoft being smart they got the exclusivity option for Netflix's access to XBL. And I think Wii will always require a disk for Netflix streaming. My PS3 has 50 MB file on the drive just for streaming and add the data you need on the disk. It could be around 100 MB to 200 MB space you need on the console just to use Netflix. Easy on the PS3 but could be difficult for the Wii.

[quote name='laaj']There really is no reason to use Netflix on the Wii unless your 360 and PS3 is being used by someone else.[/QUOTE]
Or if you don't have a PS3 and you don't want to pay extra for Live...

[quote name='crunchewy']The picture is superb and in 720p HD... for about 3 to 5 minutes and then the screen goes black and says "adjusting for changes in the network", then the picture comes back but it's terribly pixelated like it is severely compressed (which I'm sure it is). Then a while later the screen goes black again and it says "adjusting for changes in the network" and then it looks superb again. Etc. It wouldn't be that bad if it had something closer to the lower picture quality and just didn't do that damnable, jarring "adjusting for changes in the network" black screen. Just give me a consistent, fluid picture. Further, I'm fairly sure it is sending me a 720p picture still when it's bad, just heavily compressed, which looks terrible. Or it is way over compensating and lowering the quality way too far, which in then switches back from because it finds it has plenty of headroom. If it would just send 480p or even 480i with less compression, I would think it would look much better. In any case, as long as it doesn't keep stopping and starting it will be a substantial improvement.

We shall see.[/QUOTE]

do you have any other gaming system? does it do the same thing?

I have two 360's, a ps3 and a wii. Waiting on my wii disc but the ps3 hasnt done any bandwidth adjustments but one of my xbox's will do it 1-4 times throughout an hour show that shows up as HD.
I know it has to do with my DSL connection but I see the frustration.
The weird thing is that only one of the 360's does it so im not sure if its more of a hardware related

My Wii Netflix disc hasn't arrived yet. I plan on trying it out, but not using it as my 360/PS3 can output 720 easily. I have no internet issues either, so it doesn't have quality changes.

I like all of these Netflix options! It's great.

I can now say with certainty that for our situation the Wii does a much better job with Netflix streaming then the 360. The 360 hiccups and drops to absolutely awful quality and then a long time later it tries to be HD again, and it repeats. We've watched a bunch of stuff on the Wii now and never get those hiccups, the videos start faster and the picture quality is significantly better then the 360 comparing to when it drops to that lower quality (which is 90% of the viewing time on the 360 for us). Just not having those jarring switches to a black screen is reason enough. So it does depend on your situation, but for us the Wii is superior to the 360 for Netflix.

[quote name='crunchewy']I can now say with certainty that for our situation the Wii does a much better job with Netflix streaming then the 360. The 360 hiccups and drops to absolutely awful quality and then a long time later it tries to be HD again, and it repeats. We've watched a bunch of stuff on the Wii now and never get those hiccups, the videos start faster and the picture quality is significantly better then the 360 comparing to when it drops to that lower quality (which is 90% of the viewing time on the 360 for us). Just not having those jarring switches to a black screen is reason enough. So it does depend on your situation, but for us the Wii is superior to the 360 for Netflix.[/QUOTE]

I don't have my Netflix Wii disc yet- so can you explain the startup?

I know on the PS3, once I put the disc in and set it up (I had to enter a number from the Wii on my PC...), it was good to go. Pop the disc in and play.

Is the Wii disc the same?

[quote name='laaj']Maybe Netflix approached all 3 about streaming and only Microsoft was interested. And Microsoft being smart they got the exclusivity option for Netflix's access to XBL. And I think Wii will always require a disk for Netflix streaming. My PS3 has 50 MB file on the drive just for streaming and add the data you need on the disk. It could be around 100 MB to 200 MB space you need on the console just to use Netflix. Easy on the PS3 but could be difficult for the Wii.[/QUOTE]

ummm... The Wii Netflix disc only has 21.7MB of usable data on it. That being said, screw you Netflix for only sending this out to select customers.

[quote name='MorPhiend']screw you Netflix for only sending this out to select customers.[/QUOTE]

You have to sign up for it, it isn't random or anything

[quote name='flameofdoom666']You have to sign up for it, it isn't random or anything[/QUOTE]

Duh-hur! Really?

Of course you have to sign up for it. This isn't the full roll-out. As I said, only select few got discs this week. And I don't REALLY care myself. I already have PS3 access and I just enabled it on Wii this morning sans disc. I just think it sucks for those with Netflix and only a PC and Wii.

[quote name='flameofdoom666']I don't have my Netflix Wii disc yet- so can you explain the startup?

I know on the PS3, once I put the disc in and set it up (I had to enter a number from the Wii on my PC...), it was good to go. Pop the disc in and play.

Is the Wii disc the same?[/QUOTE]

One time setup. The first time you run the disc it brings up a screen telling you to go to a web page on your computer and it gives a code (I believe it was 6 letters long, but don't quote me on it) to enter. You enter the code on the computer and that registers the Wii and it goes right into Netflix. After that you no longer need to enter the code, it just starts up Netflix right away.

[quote name='MorPhiend']Duh-hur! Really?

Of course you have to sign up for it. This isn't the full roll-out. As I said, only select few got discs this week. And I don't REALLY care myself. I already have PS3 access and I just enabled it on Wii this morning sans disc. I just think it sucks for those with Netflix and only a PC and Wii.[/QUOTE]

what if all wii owners signed up, and started to watch netflix at home... but you have to assume all wii owners are netflix owners too...

Do you know how many wiis are out there?

sucks but this is a beta first. eventually everyone will get it.

I'd say hook your pc to the tv.

I have a blu player that does it.... so no worries.

i signed up a while back.. and got mine friday.

It works.. but w.e I dont think ill ever use it as I have it on 360 and ps3.

I need me hd streams :).

[quote name='crunchewy']I can now say with certainty that for our situation the Wii does a much better job with Netflix streaming then the 360. The 360 hiccups and drops to absolutely awful quality and then a long time later it tries to be HD again, and it repeats. We've watched a bunch of stuff on the Wii now and never get those hiccups, the videos start faster and the picture quality is significantly better then the 360 comparing to when it drops to that lower quality (which is 90% of the viewing time on the 360 for us). Just not having those jarring switches to a black screen is reason enough. So it does depend on your situation, but for us the Wii is superior to the 360 for Netflix.[/QUOTE]
How's the picture? Does it show movies in widescreen? How does it compare, to say a normal DVD?

[quote name='xycury']what if all wii owners signed up, and started to watch netflix at home... but you have to assume all wii owners are netflix owners too...

Do you know how many wiis are out there?

sucks but this is a beta first. eventually everyone will get it.

I'd say hook your pc to the tv.

I have a blu player that does it.... so no worries.[/QUOTE]

Pretty sure they didn't limit the roll out of 360 or PS3 Netflix. And like I said, I got me access to it just fine, plus I have a PS3. I just think it's kinda suck-y for those who only have a Wii and are also Netflix subscribers and have been waiting for this. I know it's "beta", but I see beta as being a new product that a few lucky people get in on, not a portion of a service that you already pay for, yet have been locked out of for the time being.
[quote name='Lawyers Guns N Money']How's the picture? Does it show movies in widescreen? How does it compare, to say a normal DVD?[/QUOTE]

I have only watched part of one movie so far on Wii (The Net). It is one of those dumb Starz Play movies though. So the video is like butt to start with, but no worse than on PS3. It was in WS and is slightly worse than a DVD. But I'll reserve judgement of video quality until I watch something that isn't a Starz movie.

Does anyone watch using the USB internet dongle? I use my PS3 wirelessly and people say it gets less buffering if you run a wired connection. I wonder how much of an improvement (if any) the Wii would see.

[quote name='Lawyers Guns N Money']How's the picture? Does it show movies in widescreen? How does it compare, to say a normal DVD?[/QUOTE]

At least with our internet connection, it is a bit worse then DVD, but still pretty good. If you are sitting on your couch you may not even notice, depending on your TV size and viewing distance. I wish it were true DVD quality, but at least I'm not getting the aggravating hiccups and even lower quality after the hiccups, that I get with the 360 version (which has to do with our internet service, but really also lousy programming as it seems obvious that on the 360 it could do a much, much better job of adapting to lower bandwidth then it does - just push us video on par with what we get on the Wii, instead of trying to give us HD and failing). Widescreen movies are widescreen and 4:3 movies/shows are 4:3. The long and short of it is that I'll watch movies on the Wii version of Netflix, but I won't watch them on the 360 version due to the problems I have with it there.

I wonder if they will use the SD card to buffer ?

on my Sony, we plugged in a 2GB USB stick to buffer on that for netflix and it's flawless and looks exceptional.

[quote name='xycury']I wonder if they will use the SD card to buffer ?

on my Sony, we plugged in a 2GB USB stick to buffer on that for netflix and it's flawless and looks exceptional.[/QUOTE]

How do you know Netflix is buffering on the USB drive.

[quote name='laaj']How do you know Netflix is buffering on the USB drive.[/QUOTE]

Because they recommend it in the manual...? :roll:

nope, I made it up.... :booty:

it's used so they can track you. :lol:

Plus it's also for BDLive BS that NO ONE wants.... :wall:

[quote name='xycury']Because they recommend it in the manual...? :roll:

nope, I made it up.... :booty:

it's used so they can track you. :lol:

Plus it's also for BDLive BS that NO ONE wants.... :wall:[/QUOTE]

What manual?

[quote name='laaj']What manual?[/QUOTE]

Sony manual that came with the player. It's about oh 80 pages. The thing that most people throw away and then bitch how the device is too complicated to use.

[quote name='xycury']Sony manual that came with the player. It's about oh 80 pages. The thing that most people throw away and then bitch how the device is too complicated to use.[/QUOTE]

The netflix disc came with an 80 page manual? Wow. ;^)

I tossed together (and it really is tossed together) a Wii netflix disc game case cover, using the template at The Cover Project mashed with bits cut out from the much nicer looking PS3 Wii disc cover posted there. So all the credit really goes there, but I figured somebody else might find this useful. So here it is:

http://img297.imageshack.us/img297/3605/netflixwiicover.pdf

EDIT: much better ones are at The Cover Project now: http://www.thecoverproject.net/view.php?game_id=7534

Also, as pointed out by flameofdoom666 in the Club Nintendo thread and so all credit goes to him, you can get 20 CN coins by using netflix for 20 minutes and then filling out a survey at Club Nintendo. You're CN account has to be linked to your Wii, of course. Nice!

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='crunchewy']The netflix disc came with an 80 page manual? Wow. ;^)[/QUOTE]

what the hell, was that his problem?

The manual was for my Sony Blu player to use a USB, recommended 1GB preferred 2GB, in the back to help stream Netflix.

NOT the Wii.

That cover is nice... will have to print off one when ours comes ... when it does...

On the iPhone, I can guarantee that the upcoming Netflix player app will sport the equivalent of an M rating (18+ or whatever). I haven't checked, but I presume that's what the iPad version has now. The notion being that you can view such content with it, so it gets the maximum rating allowable. They also do that for web browsers! It sort of makes sense, actually, but it is kind of odd anyway.

So, looks like today is the "official" launch day. Anyone know of any decent deals to sign up for Netflix? I know BestBuy rewardzone has like a 500 point bonus when you become a paid subscriber. Any other deals out there?

i got an email from netflix saying to request my disc today...
so i did, and once i did it said
"activate within 7 days of getting the disc to get $1 off my next month of netflix"

Got my disc. I specifically signed up for Netflix to use the streaming (I used the BB reward zone link to get rz points).
I've watched about five movies so far, and have had no hiccups. The movies load in just about one minute. Audio and video have been just fine. The video quality is just a hair shy of DVD quality (480P). The audio is Dolby Pro Logic II (I think that is the max that the Wii can do right?).
The selection of movies is an interesting mix. I was glad to see some Pixar movies on there and other stuff from Disney. There are only a few major studio new releases, but are a lot of classics from the '80s like Dragnet, Willy Wonka, War Games, Conan, Pee Wees Big Adventure, The Last Dragon, Bladerunner, Howard the Duck, Revenge of the Nerds, etc.
Also the television show episodes are cool. They have a ton of eps of older shows, A-Team, Greatest American Hero, Voltron, Miami Vice. If you are a child of the '80s it's like a gold mine.

Yeah, playback on the Wii version has been absolutely flawless for me as far as hiccups are concerned. Can't say the same for the 360. I'm much happier with it on the Wii. Of course if I can ever afford to upgrade to FiOS I'm sure I'll switch to using the 360, but that's not going to happen any time soon.

[quote name='Lawyers Guns N Money']The Wii disc doesn't count as one of your movies out at a time, correct?[/QUOTE]

?!?! that would be awful if they did that... considering it's free on the PC, and as DLC on the other consoles.

I would say no.

[quote name='xycury']?!?! that would be awful if they did that... considering it's free on the PC, and as DLC on the other consoles.

I would say no.[/QUOTE]
Yeah, I didn't think it would, but I figured I'd ask.

bread's done
Back