The Wii U Pre-Order Thread - $349.99/$299.99 - 11/18/12

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
8921 replies to this topic

#3421 El Rey

El Rey

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 October 2012 - 04:24 AM

I got back from Gamestop a while ago and played with the Wii U there, no playable demo that I saw but I handed the controller and watched the video demos. Can't wait to pick it up

#3422 madcatz1999

madcatz1999

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 October 2012 - 04:26 AM

Exactly, I really doubt Best Buy, Gamestop, or any other retailer will have 50+ consoles on launch for everyone that pre ordered instore and also be able to simultaneously fulfill online orders.

I wasn't necessarily saying that. I fully expect them to be able to fill their preorders. Just saying that if something drastic happens in the next 4 weeks (say, a North Korean submarine torpedoing the Japanese ship bring the consoles over to the States), then all you're going to get is an apology and your money back.

#3423 ZombieToast

ZombieToast

He wears a disguise to look like human guys.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 October 2012 - 04:47 AM

I have a feeling people don't really know that you have to go to the layaway section to order these. It may not seem people are interested now but I'm sure when the advertisements start showing up it'll be a different story. At my local walmarts, even xbox 360's and ps3's have been pretty much sold out or put on layaway for the past few weeks and it's still October.

That accounts for some, I'm sure; especially those who aren't part of the gaming scene. But out of all the gamers in this town, I have a hard time believing that none of them know how this works. Even if they don't, I'm sure they would ask someone in the game section; they all seem to be aware of what's going on. Not saying you're wrong, mind you...it just seems odd.

#3424 drphibes

drphibes

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 October 2012 - 05:22 AM

For me and my area, I look at it like this.

Wave 1 (9-13 to 9-16): Went to GameStop (according to their site, 32 locations in a 20 mile radius) and Best Buy (according to their site, 8 within a 10 mile radius) within the first 3 days + online. They sold out first.

Wave 2: Tried Wal-Mart (they were available online) and Target, but no pre-orders in store at the time. Mixture of Toys R Us, KMart, and new pre-orders online. They sold out next.

Wave 3 (10-14 to 10-20): Wal-Mart (according to their site, 20 locations in a 20 mile radius) starts taking "layaway" for the WiiU on Oct 14. I know it was on the front page of the circular last week, but like RaysGame said it may be lost on some (not a lot, but some) people that they have to go back to the layaway dept instead of electronics. I would also assume that Wal-Mart would get a higher number of product in comparison to potential other retailers because they are the #1 retailer in the country (it is all relative, "high" could be 5 or 10 or 50 or 100).

Wave 4: People who are already resigned to the fact that they are waiting in line on Saturday to pick up a WiiU.

Fact is that Wal-Mart's are a huge retailer with a plethora of locations (I know for some only 1 is around in the area, so I digress), the new layaway option skipped over the first 2 waves of people getting the WiiU, and they arrive a full month late to the party with the layaway option (which is good because 1: the die hards got their PO's in a month ago and 2:right now, buzz for the system is at its lowest after you consider the red hot start it had in Sept but when we start seeing the ads/promos.. then the buzz picks up again and it becomes the hottest item around when the hype train gets going).

Considering all the Wal-Marts, Best Buys, Game Stops, Targets etc around me, I am very confident that my layaway WiiU will be there Midnight or Sunday morning. If not, then that's just the way she goes and I'll get it when I get it.

Edited by drphibes, 21 October 2012 - 05:36 AM.

#3425 kevgees

kevgees

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 October 2012 - 12:37 PM

Yesterday, I went to make a payment on the wii u I reserved at Walmart and the guy behind the lay away counter said they only had 20 pre orders all week

#3426 Gareee

Gareee

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 October 2012 - 01:04 PM

Has anyone seen the skylanders giants Wi U booster pack listed for preorder anywhere? ( I think Euro they list it as the "booster" pack, and in the US its called the "portal owners pack" We already have the Wii Portal, and it make sno sense to buy the Wii U starter bundle since it costs more and includes a wired portal that odds are would sell for next to nothing on ebay.

I can find preview lists of whats included online, but for some reason no etailers are listing them yet. odd since its included as one of the launch games. (You CAN find the portal owners pack for PS3, WII, and Xbox.) Just not for the Wii U.

#3427 Plinko

Plinko

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 October 2012 - 01:18 PM

Has anyone seen the skylanders giants Wi U booster pack listed for preorder anywhere? ( I think Euro they list it as the "booster" pack, and in the US its called the "portal owners pack" We already have the Wii Portal, and it make sno sense to buy the Wii U starter bundle since it costs more and includes a wired portal that odds are would sell for next to nothing on ebay.

I can find preview lists of whats included online, but for some reason no etailers are listing them yet. odd since its included as one of the launch games. (You CAN find the portal owners pack for PS3, WII, and Xbox.) Just not for the Wii U.

I don't think this exists.

#3428 pseudonem

pseudonem

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 October 2012 - 03:25 PM

When does Wal-Mart stop taking in store preorders?

Was supposed to be yesterday, but any store that still has available units will take preorders until they run out. I still say Fuck the flippers. You guys/gals are asshats. Not much better than Gamestop creating false demand with their "preorder" system.

It'll be interesting to see if this (or any!) online roll playing game can dethrone Ultima Online. I also hear that Blizzard's working on something but I can't see that doing any better for them then Diablo has.

fs_overall.png

#3429 Dr. Dib

Dr. Dib

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 October 2012 - 07:57 PM

Slight derail to talk about Wii U in the Wii U Pre-Order Thread.

I went to my Gamestop to pay off my Wii preorder today. I asked about a midnight launch and they said they didn't have details about the launch at this poin. They did have a Wii U demo unit. So far that's the only place I've seen one, though to be fair I've only looked at a few places around where I live.

#3430 ThatOneGuyWho

ThatOneGuyWho

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 October 2012 - 08:27 PM

On Monday I'm going to attempt to pre-order a WiiU Deluxe Set at Walmart. I'm hoping they still have some and they are willing to let me pre-order more than 1.

#3431 samssf

samssf

Posted 21 October 2012 - 08:52 PM

So... anyone have any insight into how frequently stores such as Target are getting new preorder allowances? I'd like to get one before Dec :-/

#3432 breauxman

breauxman

CAG in Training

• CAG in Training

Posted 21 October 2012 - 10:06 PM

none of the Wal-Marts in my area had any idea about the pre-order/lay-away deal. Every time I would go and ask, the lay-away people would send me to electronics and the electronics people would look for pre-order cards.

#3433 GizmoGC

GizmoGC

I love Cheese

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 October 2012 - 10:10 PM

So... anyone have any insight into how frequently stores such as Target are getting new preorder allowances? I'd like to get one before Dec :-/

From what we've been told, once the cards are gone, that's it for that store.

#3434 djricekcn

djricekcn

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 October 2012 - 10:16 PM

From what we've been told, once the cards are gone, that's it for that store.

It depends at the location.

#3435 Trakan

Trakan

Mark IV Style Motherfucker!

• Super Moderators

Posted 21 October 2012 - 10:27 PM

Alright, I cleaned up this thread. No more bullshit. Stay on topic, don't argue and don't talk about flipping. All it does is lead to more fighting. Everyone has been warned. Report people who don't follow the rules.

I have no problem handing out bans.

#3436 rayfrombk

rayfrombk

CAG in Training

• CAG in Training

Posted 21 October 2012 - 10:49 PM

You should check your local Target stores this week. I know I am. Another CAG here said his store received them on Friday. I guess other stores will soon get them as well.

#3437 Deader2818

Deader2818

Flipadelphia!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 October 2012 - 10:50 PM

I went to one today in south jersey and did not see any cards nor did I ask.

#3438 rayfrombk

rayfrombk

CAG in Training

• CAG in Training

Posted 21 October 2012 - 10:56 PM

I went to one today in south jersey and did not see any cards nor did I ask.

Check again tomorrow. You should ask an associate because they might be behind the Electronics counter instead of hanging on the shelves. I'm going tomorrow afternoon during my lunch break. I figure they will be getting deliveries around noon.

#3439 pseudonem

pseudonem

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 October 2012 - 11:16 PM

none of the Wal-Marts in my area had any idea about the pre-order/lay-away deal. Every time I would go and ask, the lay-away people would send me to electronics and the electronics people would look for pre-order cards.

On my receipt the Wii U Deluxe Model is listed as follows:

WII U HDWR 004549688086 at $349.96

Try taking that number with you next time.

It'll be interesting to see if this (or any!) online roll playing game can dethrone Ultima Online. I also hear that Blizzard's working on something but I can't see that doing any better for them then Diablo has.

fs_overall.png

#3440 Davivascaino

Davivascaino

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 October 2012 - 11:42 PM

my target did not get the cards

DaviVascaino.png         Davivascaino.png

#3441 trent82

trent82

Master Of Unlocking

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 October 2012 - 11:49 PM

At the lay away desk at my local walmart, they had a binder (it was not full of women) that had a picture of the Wii U on it and it seemed like it was just for managing the pre-orders. It's so weird that some locations are completely prepared and others are completely hopeless. If you go to a store and ask them a question about an offer on the front page of their weekly ad and nobody at the store has any idea what to do, then someone should be fired.
3DS Friend Code :: 5112-3434-8624

#3442 Katsumi

Katsumi

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 October 2012 - 12:01 AM

Same with my Walmart, Trent82... they had a blue binder that had a picture of the Wii U Deluxe, a barcode, and a bunch of rules about when we could pick it up, etc.

If you have an issue.. don't forget it was on the front page of their weekly ad they have all over the store..

Less than 30 days to go!

Kat_Siggy80.png Katsumica.png

#3443 samssf

samssf

Posted 22 October 2012 - 12:25 AM

Same with my Walmart, Trent82... they had a blue binder that had a picture of the Wii U Deluxe, a barcode, and a bunch of rules about when we could pick it up, etc.

If you have an issue.. don't forget it was on the front page of their weekly ad they have all over the store..

Less than 30 days to go!

My friend went to two Walmarts today. The first had no clue, and sent him back and forth between layaway and electronics. They told him he could put a Wii U on layaway on Nov 16th, hah. Lucky the second Walmart knew about the deal, and he was able to reserve it. Strangely though he had to pay the full amount (minus a penny) up front. I thought with layaway you only paid $5 + 10% or something like that. But at least he'll get one.

Edit: Nevermind, there was a misunderstanding: You do only have to pay $5 + 10%.

Edited by samssf, 22 October 2012 - 12:38 AM.

#3444 rayfrombk

rayfrombk

CAG in Training

• CAG in Training

Posted 22 October 2012 - 12:40 AM

My friend went to two Walmarts today. The first had no clue, and sent him back and forth between layaway and electronics. They told him he could put a Wii U on layaway on Nov 16th, hah. Lucky the second Walmart knew about the deal, and he was able to reserve it. Strangely though he had to pay the full amount (minus a penny) up front. I thought with layaway you only paid $5 + 10% or something like that. But at least he'll get one.

Edit: Nevermind, there was a misunderstanding: You do only have to pay $5 + 10%.

I also paid everything minus a penny up front just to see if the layaway person asks for the penny when I pick it up. That awkward moment..

I imagine they will just give me back $4.99 instead when they refund the layaway fee. I purchased it in NJ so I get cash back instead of a gift card.

#3445 kaydigi

kaydigi

BK All Day

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 October 2012 - 01:23 AM

Shut down at my local walmart, every employee insisted they are not taking pre orders. Will try again though.

#3446 juanawoman

juanawoman

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 October 2012 - 01:47 AM

Shut down at my local walmart, every employee insisted they are not taking pre orders. Will try again though.

Reason why so many Wal-Marts still have zero to only a few preorders.
Posted ImagePosted Image

#3447 InFlames215

InFlames215

DEATH TO FALSE METAL

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 October 2012 - 01:47 AM

I asked the front desk at my local Target (Madison, WI), and they had the cards behind the counter. Strange thing is, they only charged me $1 for the reservation card. It says on the card it should be $5.

#3448 vcplant

vcplant

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 October 2012 - 01:49 AM

The Union City, CA Walmart was still taking orders today. I'm not sure if I buy it, but the clerk claimed the the number of pre-orders determined the allocation for the store, not that each store was allocated X number of pre-orders.

#3449 rayfrombk

rayfrombk

CAG in Training

• CAG in Training

Posted 22 October 2012 - 01:57 AM

I asked the front desk at my local Target (Madison, WI), and they had the cards behind the counter. Strange thing is, they only charged me $1 for the reservation card. It says on the card it should be $5.

Did they explain to you the process and how they will "guarantee" a console for you?

#3450 ItsaMeMario

ItsaMeMario

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 October 2012 - 02:09 AM

The Union City, CA Walmart was still taking orders today. I'm not sure if I buy it, but the clerk claimed the the number of pre-orders determined the allocation for the store, not that each store was allocated X number of pre-orders.

LOL i hate that wal-mart... try going there any time after like 6pm and it's like black friday