The Wii U Pre-Order Thread - $349.99/$299.99 - 11/18/12

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
8921 replies to this topic

#3571 vcplant

vcplant

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 October 2012 - 04:39 AM

But he told me that Nintendo is not going to have ANY walk up units available on launch day, at any stores at all. He told me this was because of issues with manufacturing the gamepad and they won't have enough gamepads to sell any non-preordered units.

damn, Nintendo is REALLY fucking up this launch.

Or the best launch ever. It must be nice to sell out all your pre-orders with little to no advertising.

#3572 Deader2818

Deader2818

Flipadelphia!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 October 2012 - 04:40 AM

Its not so much Nintendo and more the issues going on in China/Japan.

#3573 coopscohen

coopscohen

All Skill, No Luck

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 October 2012 - 04:47 AM

has anyone posted a pic of what the target reserve card looks like yet?

Spoiler

Yep.

#3574 Confucius

Confucius

Corporate Shill

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 October 2012 - 04:48 AM

thanks. I looked for it today at target and came up empty.

Ees7Y.jpg

I'm 100% shocked that books still exist in today's day and age. I thought they'd be out by now. They make up like 1% of today's entertainment and unless you're 60 or older, stray away from books and start emersing yourself with real entertainment.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Codes for Free / Codes for Trade

#3575 mBucket

mBucket

CAG in Training

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 October 2012 - 04:59 AM

thanks. I looked for it today at target and came up empty.

Same here, I looked at 2 different Target stores. All I saw was reservation cards for Wii U games, not consoles.

#3576 coopscohen

coopscohen

All Skill, No Luck

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 October 2012 - 05:03 AM

Same here, I looked at 2 different Target stores. All I saw was reservation cards for Wii U games, not consoles.

Someone posted that they weren't suppose to be put them out until next Tuesday which could explain why it's hit or miss. It doesn't seem like many stores have put these out or even have a clue about them.

#3577 BigJoe

BigJoe

CAG in Training

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 October 2012 - 05:06 AM

Paid off a bit more on my GS preorder. I'm pretty close to being paid off at this point. The interesting thing is that while I was on the store, one of GS's Nintendo reps happen to be there. He was doing something to their Wii kiosk (he was taking it apart. Maybe it was broken, I didn't bother asking but i figured it was some kind of repair because I always thought GS employees handled this kiosks, not the company reps). But I did ask him if he had any Wii U info.

Take this with a grain of salt, as this is just an employee who may it may not know anything about corporate going-ons. But he told me that Nintendo is not going to have ANY walk up units available on launch day, at any stores at all. He told me this was because of issues with manufacturing the gamepad and they won't have enough gamepads to sell any non-preordered units.

Again, it's just word from one employee so who knows how true it is. But if there is some truth to what I was told...damn, Nintendo is REALLY fucking up this launch.

Thats a very interesting piece of info. If this turned out to be true that could mean astronomical shortages. We have to remember the wii had a decent supply of consoles on launch, but was still overwhelmed due to extreme demand.

Now keep in mind, although I think the route for advertising Nintendo has taken so far is utter trash, they are still the big N and at the end of the day they know their ads better than the rest due to their excellent home console track record. So assuming they create the same demand as the wii, combined with these possible shortages you speak of would result in utter chaos. Myself and many people think the Wii U wont have the same demand as the original Wii. But Nintnedo wouldnt invest years and millions of dollars if they didnt think otherwise.

Also throw in the fact that Microsoft and Sony dont have any direct competition for the Wii U and wont for 2013 just adds icing on the cake. I really dont know what to expect at this point and after many google searches neither does anyone else on the entire internet. So I guess this is all speculation as of now. But some good indicators would be if Nintendo would ever start its ad campaign. Im surprised no one else is as shocked as I am on the fact that the Wii U is still essentially unknow to the general public. News flash, game stop demo kiosks offer minimal advertising effects if you look at the big picture. With launch just over 3 weeks away Nintendo is treading in DEEP WATER

#3578 Deader2818

Deader2818

Flipadelphia!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 October 2012 - 05:08 AM

Nintendo never advertises early. They wait till like a week or 2 before something comes out to advertise it. I didn't see any Kirby Collection commercials till the day it came out.

#3579 BigJoe

BigJoe

CAG in Training

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 October 2012 - 05:17 AM

Thats what I thought. But seeing as Nintendo of the UK started its first commercial made me believe that that idea had changed. And that seems like a dangerous thing to do with a console that is so unknow to the general public

#3580 Deader2818

Deader2818

Flipadelphia!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 October 2012 - 05:19 AM

They have Burger King kids toys starting up this friday so thats prob when they will start to kick it off. I don't remember the Wii having much hype till it actually came out.

#3581 dorkyden

dorkyden

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 October 2012 - 05:26 AM

i wonder how will target handle their pre-order since they dont keep track of which cards are sold to who (the UPC are identical). I am guessing maybe on launch day they will just sell to whoever has a pre-order card? If that's the case it could be an inventory nightmare?

Join Perk and make easy Amazon credit 

Join Swagbucks and get up to $5 Amazon credit every 9 days! 

#3582 BigJoe

BigJoe

CAG in Training

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 October 2012 - 05:29 AM

For Nintendo's sake they better make haste because the time/populrity ratio is not in their favor. And I feel like they should start earlier with Wii U because it is far less know than the Wii was prior to its launch

#3583 nightmarishhero

nightmarishhero

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 October 2012 - 05:51 AM

i wonder how will target handle their pre-order since they dont keep track of which cards are sold to who (the UPC are identical). I am guessing maybe on launch day they will just sell to whoever has a pre-order card? If that's the case it could be an inventory nightmare?

not sure if it will apply here, but when black and white 2 came out 12 days ago, I went in early since they were shelved 5 days before launch with my pre-order cards. The rep told me he couldnt sell it to me, no surprise. I couldnt go on sunday so i went monday night around 8-9. Same guy was there and he told me, "i am glad you came after all, we almost ran out of black 2" there were 3 left on the shelf. I didn't bother asking about the pre-order card guaranteeing me a copy, since it didn't matter.

I am guessing even if you do get a pre-order card, it will be the same deal, I just mean I would not be surprised if Target sold TO ANYONE lined up outside on Nov 18th, card or not, as unlikely as it might seem.

Just a thought, don't mean to put people off, but you could always ask to make sure. Pre-ordered GAMES, however are not set aside for you, at least not at my local Target

#3584 spauldingfan

spauldingfan

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 October 2012 - 06:19 AM

I am guessing even if you do get a pre-order card, it will be the same deal, I just mean I would not be surprised if Target sold TO ANYONE lined up outside on Nov 18th, card or not, as unlikely as it might seem.

Just a thought, don't mean to put people off, but you could always ask to make sure. Pre-ordered GAMES, however are not set aside for you, at least not at my local Target

My Vita and 3ds reserves were not put aside as well but they had multiple consoles and cards prior. I was a lil worried about pre ordering from target, but tonight I went in and they only had 5 for each system available, which kind of got me thinking maybe they only received 5 of each and might be taking this kinda, quasi seriously. My plan is to just go in the day before (obviously they will have them and know the exact amount) and question them about actually putting those 10 aside. I have my backup one at Best Buy but I get 5% off at Target. Also the guy at Best Buy yesterday told me even if I pre ordered it is first come first serve, cause "that's what happened with the iPhone 5". I got a cheap laugh.

#3585 thetruth1983

thetruth1983

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 October 2012 - 06:24 AM

I was told that the preordered consoles would be set aside. I'm not holding my breath though because she also said that I could pick it up from any Target that I want lol.

#3586 Mako1215

Mako1215

Mr.OneOfWonder

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 October 2012 - 06:46 AM

I will be getting one where I work for sure.

First, how can you claim prior non-existance to devalue a movement? I am sure the civil rights movement would love that. "Well, there was no movement to free the slaves before, so why is it relavent now?"

518793.png

#3587 FlipSide

FlipSide

Made in the Philippines

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 October 2012 - 06:48 AM

For Nintendo's sake they better make haste because the time/populrity ratio is not in their favor. And I feel like they should start earlier with Wii U because it is far less know than the Wii was prior to its launch

True, a shortage is not gonna work it their favor it only helps flippers. It might generate buzz, but the less people have the Wii U the more it will hurt them.
Posted Image

#3588 dorkyden

dorkyden

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 October 2012 - 07:38 AM

not sure if it will apply here, but when black and white 2 came out 12 days ago, I went in early since they were shelved 5 days before launch with my pre-order cards. The rep told me he couldnt sell it to me, no surprise. I couldnt go on sunday so i went monday night around 8-9. Same guy was there and he told me, "i am glad you came after all, we almost ran out of black 2" there were 3 left on the shelf. I didn't bother asking about the pre-order card guaranteeing me a copy, since it didn't matter.

thats what i am guessing and afraid of. I think some stores may take the pre-ordering seriously and put them aside and some may just sell to whoever. I guess on launch day you just have to drive around to find out which target hold their inventory for pre-orders and which target doesnt.

Join Perk and make easy Amazon credit 

Join Swagbucks and get up to $5 Amazon credit every 9 days! 

#3589 jessesixto

jessesixto

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 October 2012 - 11:14 AM

I think Wal-Mart's system is broken. I was able to preorder 3 on one ticket, even though it's supposed to block that from happening.

One lady at Walmart put in 3 by accident and an error came up. So maybe varies from stores?

#3590 Yoohoo1231

Yoohoo1231

Posted 24 October 2012 - 11:36 AM

Looks like it's available again at Walmart.com

http://www.walmart.c...roller/21803986

#3591 BigRedWhat

BigRedWhat

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 October 2012 - 11:45 AM

Thats a very interesting piece of info. If this turned out to be true that could mean astronomical shortages. We have to remember the wii had a decent supply of consoles on launch, but was still overwhelmed due to extreme demand.

Now keep in mind, although I think the route for advertising Nintendo has taken so far is utter trash, they are still the big N and at the end of the day they know their ads better than the rest due to their excellent home console track record. So assuming they create the same demand as the wii, combined with these possible shortages you speak of would result in utter chaos. Myself and many people think the Wii U wont have the same demand as the original Wii. But Nintnedo wouldnt invest years and millions of dollars if they didnt think otherwise.

Also throw in the fact that Microsoft and Sony dont have any direct competition for the Wii U and wont for 2013 just adds icing on the cake. I really dont know what to expect at this point and after many google searches neither does anyone else on the entire internet. So I guess this is all speculation as of now. But some good indicators would be if Nintendo would ever start its ad campaign. Im surprised no one else is as shocked as I am on the fact that the Wii U is still essentially unknow to the general public. News flash, game stop demo kiosks offer minimal advertising effects if you look at the big picture. With launch just over 3 weeks away Nintendo is treading in DEEP WATER

I believe there was a fire which destroyed their manufacturing plant in China.

#3592 ZombieToast

ZombieToast

He wears a disguise to look like human guys.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 October 2012 - 12:20 PM

First Wii commercial aired on US television - November 14, 2006
Wii release date - November 19, 2006

Based on that alone, I'm not surprised there aren't any commercials yet. Most of their products don't even get advertised until they are released.

Quick Amazon search already shows others popping up, including "clean and protect" kits.

I've seen a few different brands for screen protectors, so far, listed at gamestop and other retailers. A day one buy for me is going to be the nerf armor, along with a screen protector, since those things have saved my kids 3DSes from numerous 2 story falls. If they aren't going to be selling the controllers separately for a while, I have to make sure the one it comes with is fairly kid proof.

Thanks for the info, guys. I honestly didn't even think to search for them because I figured nobody would be selling them yet.

I only trust Hori brand items.

I've found that people who have had bad experiences have dealt with knock offs

I bought them directly from Amazon, not a third-party seller. I'm sure it's possible for them to sell knock-offs, but it seems unlikely to happen twice on different consoles. And the packaging and product seemed to be very high quality; I just wasn't pleased with the application, look, or feel of the protectors. I have personally had more success with Skinomi.

Nintendo never advertises early. They wait till like a week or 2 before something comes out to advertise it. I didn't see any Kirby Collection commercials till the day it came out.

Exactly. Wii commercials didn't start airing in the US until about 4 days before it released!

I believe there was a fire which destroyed their manufacturing plant in China.

The fire was in Japan at a production facility and the building wasn't destroyed. Nintendo has said that it won't significantly impact console production, although I suppose we can't really know for sure.

#3593 kayne2000

kayne2000

All Glory to Tachikoma Paradise

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 October 2012 - 12:27 PM

cant show off m rated games in demos cause kids can play it.

yes we must not break the lie that kids cannot play m rated games....*Looks at xbox live*

#3594 jessesixto

jessesixto

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 October 2012 - 01:22 PM

Posted Image

Posted Image

BTW Nothing left in Gurnee IL ;)

#3595 Renaissance 2K

Renaissance 2K

*nom nom nom*

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 October 2012 - 01:23 PM

yes we must not break the lie that kids cannot play m rated games....*Looks at xbox live*

It's a perfectly reasonable restriction. Even if kids are still going to manage to watch R-rated movies, for example, doesn't mean it's cool for Best Buy to loop Saw or Hostel on their Wall of TVs for the public eye to see.

#3596 rjejr

rjejr

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 October 2012 - 01:26 PM

Looks like it's available again at Walmart.com

http://www.walmart.c...roller/21803986

There is so much "not just right" feeling about that webpage it almost makes me think it's a spoof.

It says you can order basic or deluxe BUT you can only choose Deluxe.
The Chinglish is terrible.
Pikmin 3 is one of the "bundled' games. (Nintendo has already said it won't be out until 2013.)
Or you can pick Nintendo Land w/ your WiiU Deluxe which includes the game.
It says you can pick either a Wii Pro controller or WiiU controller but you can only pick a WiiU controller.

I'm not saying it's not legit, just that it feels that way.

#3597 Yoohoo1231

Yoohoo1231

Posted 24 October 2012 - 02:10 PM

Go to Walmart.com and navigate there yourself, that's how I got it.

If one of the systems isn't showing up that means there aren't any available of that type at that moment.

I ordered one for myself this morning and got a legit confirmation email to prove.

#3598 geotech

geotech

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 October 2012 - 02:13 PM

I've been reading on here that Nintendo plans to have 7 million Wii U's available by the end of the year. This morning I read this article saying 5.5 million. I am glad I preordered from Walmart early.

http://www.reuters.c...E8L500B20121024

#3599 irideabike

irideabike

Posted 24 October 2012 - 02:25 PM

The first 9 months of the wii they only shipped ~6 million to the US, so I don't know why people are acting like it has such a small supply.

There are no shortcuts. No do-overs. What happened, happened. Trust me. I know. All of this matters.

Madden 13 SB Champ in the CAG gentleman's league.

#3600 Confucius

Confucius

Corporate Shill

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 October 2012 - 03:36 PM

The first 9 months of the wii they only shipped ~6 million to the US, so I don't know why people are acting like it has such a small supply.

Because people (rightly imo) assume that Nintendo would have learned from their mistake last time when they left tons of money on the table by not having enough supply for 2 years.

Ees7Y.jpg

I'm 100% shocked that books still exist in today's day and age. I thought they'd be out by now. They make up like 1% of today's entertainment and unless you're 60 or older, stray away from books and start emersing yourself with real entertainment.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Codes for Free / Codes for Trade