The Wii U Pre-Order Thread - $349.99/$299.99 - 11/18/12

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
8921 replies to this topic

#4171 beatngurnuts

beatngurnuts

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 November 2012 - 09:19 AM

Now back on wii u topic, I had a chance to play it yesterday with my son and we both really liked rayman. I was a little thrown off by how big the controller was, but after a few minutes I did not even notice. I really want to play some of the other games before release, because it would would make it easier to choose what games to buy.

Edited by io, 04 November 2012 - 10:21 AM.

#4172 advanced

advanced

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 November 2012 - 11:44 AM

However, it really had very little to do with Wii U preorders anyway and last I checked this is the thread for that, right?

BTW, I saw a Wii U demo unit in Target today that did not have the Rayman demo activated. That was strange since the GS one did have that active a few days ago. I'm not even sure what the point of the demo unit is as the majority of people who stumble upon that not knowing what it is already are most likely not getting one any time soon anyway. But I guess Nintendo does need to get the system out in the public regardless of preorder sellouts.

My Target was the same way. I also thought it was strange.

#4173 ps2emotions

ps2emotions

8 bit heaven

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 November 2012 - 12:26 PM

I stopped by my local gamestop after work saturday and was expecting to get to try out a Wii U demo unit but to my suprise they didn't have one. With best buy getting them I was so sure gamestop would have one. Anyways, I got thinking supply of these things must be really low for nintendo not to have one in every store with less than 3 weeks to launch. I heard the gamestop employee on the phone with someone wanting to preorder a Wii U and he told them about the waiting list and said they were only going to be a million available before the holidays. This thing is going to be crazy scarce until feb or march is what I'm thinking.

#4174 jedi0077

jedi0077

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 November 2012 - 12:37 PM

you can sell the preorder cards anywhere? and claim for the preorder at any target?

No they have to be redeemed at our Target.

#4175 cold_young_thug

cold_young_thug

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 November 2012 - 01:12 PM

OK, this is the second time I've had to clean up this thread. I thought you guys might get a clue the first time I did it but it just kept happening.

And by the way, while Paladinion maybe didn't handle it in the right way (and used some goofy language in explaining his situation), I think you guys were way too harsh and exhibited some scary mob mentality in attacking him.

I actually had the same thing happen to me, and also got the additional credit for the trade-in after the fact (though it was all very pleasant and no one got anyone by the balls or anything ;)).

Maybe he didn't explain it well enough but a few weeks back GS had a trade-in promo on hardware and advertized it as a Power Up Rewards exclusive promo. On the very last day I (and many other CAGs) decided to take advantage of the deal since it seemed like the prices would go back down to their usual low levels the next day. It turned out instead that they offered a DOUBLE trade-in promo the very next day which resulted in as much as $60-$80 more for some systems than the "exclusive" promo we were being advertized. I certainlly wouldn't have blamed the clerk for that (as they often don't know about deals like that in advance - and in fact the new deal was not advertized at all before hand or otherwise we would have known about it here). But it was a pretty sleazy thing for GS corporate to push a "PUR exclusive" offer then hose people with a much better one the day after it expired. A helpful store manager got me the extra credit the very next day and I walked away a happy customer.

Sure, Paladinion could have handled it better (and explained what happened better) - no argument there. But no one could have researched the deal and known about it in advance and thus held off on what they thought was the best promo going at the time. There was no info on it till the day it went live.

But thats where ur wrong. They do know about upcoming sales, like any store knows the upcoming sales. The sales dont just appear out of thin air on the last day.

Though the guy is of course at fault for not doing more research, it was also the GS employee's duty to inform him of the upcoming sales. Its called ethics. So i blame both parties.

#4176 Drclaw411

Drclaw411

I miss Cartoon Orbit

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 November 2012 - 01:20 PM

But thats where ur wrong. They do know about upcoming sales, like any store knows the upcoming sales. The sales dont just appear out of thin air on the last day.

Though the guy is of course at fault for not doing more research, it was also the GS employee's duty to inform him of the upcoming sales. Its called ethics. So i blame both parties.

You'd be surprised. The vast majority of retail employees are never told by their managers of upcoming promotions. Most find out about them by (1) having the register ring something up at a promo price, (2) getting ads or promo items they have to put up in the sore before opening or after closing the day before, or (3) walking in to the store that day and seeing ads up that the manager or previous shift already put up.

#4177 ChibiJosh

ChibiJosh

Posted 04 November 2012 - 01:54 PM

Has anyone had any luck with changing the shipping address on a TRU order before? I e-mail and called, and both times they told me they were unable to do it. They said to cancel and re-order.
Posted Image
Games Completed '08 (32) - '09 (43) - '10 (48) - '11 (43) -'12 (15)
PS3 Trophy card:
Spoiler

#4178 therealdanhill

therealdanhill

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 November 2012 - 02:36 PM

Has anyone had any luck with changing the shipping address on a TRU order before? I e-mail and called, and both times they told me they were unable to do it. They said to cancel and re-order.

I've ran into this before as well, they won't do it. Hell I don't think they'd even let me cancel the order, I think I was told that I'd have to get the order and return it to a store or not accept the delivery or something.

I don't get the decision to not have a GameCube disc reader on the system. Is it just to resell GCN games as eShop downloads later? Is it to keep the cost down? I can't imagine adding GameCube BC would cost a lot of money.

Posted Image

#4179 gmsick

gmsick

SAY IT WITH YA CHEST

• Silenced

Posted 04 November 2012 - 02:55 PM

You'd be surprised. The vast majority of retail employees are never told by their managers of upcoming promotions. Most find out about them by (1) having the register ring something up at a promo price, (2) getting ads or promo items they have to put up in the sore before opening or after closing the day before, or (3) walking in to the store that day and seeing ads up that the manager or previous shift already put up.

Exactly. 90% of the sales I've learned about here on CaG. Like the 1st 100% store credit promo last year and most recently the $80 SfxT stick. The employee was completely suprised when it rang up at sales price. So yeah saying its the GS employees fault is not right, but whatever. People will be people.

ON TOPIC: are the pro controllers going to be in short supply or something? I see marked up prices on ebay & amazon. Gs.com aren't shipping to store either. Anybody preorder one to be safe? I know we all remember the 2006 great wii remote and nunchuck hunt. Lol!

#4180 GizmoGC

GizmoGC

I love Cheese

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 November 2012 - 03:21 PM

it's not the Gamestop employee's fault for not telling someone about an upcoming promotion. You think they would like someone saying "hey, we don't want your business today. Come back tomorrow! (we hope!)". No, not going to happen. Best Buy doesn't clue me in to deals happening the next day nor does Target. There is nothing ethically wrong about that.

#4181 advanced

advanced

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 November 2012 - 03:23 PM

ON TOPIC: are the pro controllers going to be in short supply or something? I see marked up prices on ebay & amazon. Gs.com aren't shipping to store either. Anybody preorder one to be safe? I know we all remember the 2006 great wii remote and nunchuck hunt. Lol!

People are preordering them to ensure they get one, yeah. I imagine they'll be scarce but not as scarce as the console itself. I didn't preorder one because I can't afford it at launch, but I'm sure I'll end up wasting more gas than its worth trying to find one down the road if I decide I need one by X-Mas.

#4182 Gareee

Gareee

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 November 2012 - 03:32 PM

Has anyone else heard about that 30 day deposit deal someone mentioned at walmart? I'd hate to loose our preorder seats because we didn't drop $5 on them.

#4183 mustbepbs

mustbepbs

CAG in Training

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 November 2012 - 03:36 PM

Has anyone else heard about that 30 day deposit deal someone mentioned at walmart? I'd hate to loose our preorder seats because we didn't drop $5 on them.

Huh? Never heard of it.

#4184 CHADSTONe

CHADSTONe

Posted 04 November 2012 - 04:04 PM

Played a demo unit at the Best Buy in Cary, NC. The gamepad was surprisingly very light! It also felt very comfortable in my hands. Let me just say that the graphics on Rayman Origins are top notch. It's so nice to finally see a HD Nintendo system. Also the touch controls on the gamepad for that game were on spot. The display on the gamepad itself had crisp visuals. Reminded me of the iPhone retina display. I am looking forward to the Wii U a whole lot more than I was before putting my hands on it. Still only have 2 games as a definite purchase though. Mario and ZombiU

#4185 advanced

advanced

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 November 2012 - 04:06 PM

I am looking forward to the Wii U a whole lot more than I was before putting my hands on it.

I came away with that same impression. Before, I had a feeling I may not like it. I really was only buying it because its a Nintendo console and, even if the third party support stinks, I can only get Smash and Mario Kart on it. Now that I've played it, I want it pretty badly. I can't wait for the 18th now.

#4186 thundarr

thundarr

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 November 2012 - 06:05 PM

Played a demo unit at the Best Buy in Cary, NC. The gamepad was surprisingly very light! It also felt very comfortable in my hands. Let me just say that the graphics on Rayman Origins are top notch. It's so nice to finally see a HD Nintendo system. Also the touch controls on the gamepad for that game were on spot. The display on the gamepad itself had crisp visuals. Reminded me of the iPhone retina display. I am looking forward to the Wii U a whole lot more than I was before putting my hands on it. Still only have 2 games as a definite purchase though. Mario and ZombiU

This was the same thing I said the week before last. I've yet to see anyone who has played it say that they didn't like it, just as I've yet to hear of anyone who has played Nintendoland say that they didn't like it. I think Nintendo has a stellar hit on their hands and it reminded me of playing Mario 64 on a demo unit at TRU for the first time. And then when the GameCube came along that almighty Star Wars: Rogue Squadron demo that I would go to TRU just for. It's always foolish to count out the big N or doubt that they know what they're doing. As long as Shiggy draws breath they will be the force to be reckoned with in gaming.

#4187 Ag_SurfR

Ag_SurfR

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 November 2012 - 07:18 PM

It also doesn't help that stores like Best Buy and Target are filled with clueless seasonal employees right now. I myself will be holding out on the Wii U until the game reviews come in to see how they run on the console but I will be watching this thread closely on launch day to read all the interesting stories.

best of luck to you picking one up soon after release.

Auen1.png?7125

#4188 Ag_SurfR

Ag_SurfR

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 November 2012 - 07:24 PM

it's not the Gamestop employee's fault for not telling someone about an upcoming promotion. You think they would like someone saying "hey, we don't want your business today. Come back tomorrow! (we hope!)". No, not going to happen. Best Buy doesn't clue me in to deals happening the next day nor does Target. There is nothing ethically wrong about that.

unfortunately most people don't know the first thing about rational decision making with respect to firms.

Auen1.png?7125

#4189 Gareee

Gareee

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 November 2012 - 07:25 PM

I just got to play with the wii u demo at the local gamestop. I'm pretty stoked about the release now. Seeing the hi res mario characters, and the playable rayman demo really impressed me. While the games are not any higher res that what we are used to, having more memory and higher res textures makes it look like the games are actually higher res to me at least.

Mario is a launch day must have now, and I'm really jonesin for that rayman game as well now. We'll pick up Zombi U for that real eye candy game, but I;m concerned about how long that game might be.. if its a cakewalk you can complete in 4-5 hours, it'll be a big disapointment.

It looks like the newegg preorder $12 discount is gone now. Has anyone seen preorder deals on any of the wii u games elsewhere?

Edited by Gareee, 04 November 2012 - 08:01 PM.

#4190 skiizim

skiizim

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 November 2012 - 08:04 PM

I really enjoyed the demo, me and 4 year old played together. I let her use the touch pad while I used the controller and nunchuk. She did pretty well, I had to tell her what to do but it didn't affect game play at all.

#4191 jedi0077

jedi0077

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 November 2012 - 08:20 PM

Now back on wii u topic, I had a chance to play it yesterday with my son and we both really liked rayman. I was a little thrown off by how big the controller was, but after a few minutes I did not even notice. I really want to play some of the other games before release, because it would would make it easier to choose what games to buy.

I want to play Mario!

#4192 Paladinion

Paladinion

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 November 2012 - 08:53 PM

I just got to play with the wii u demo at the local gamestop. I'm pretty stoked about the release now. Seeing the hi res mario characters, and the playable rayman demo really impressed me. While the games are not any higher res that what we are used to, having more memory and higher res textures makes it look like the games are actually higher res to me at least.

Mario is a launch day must have now, and I'm really jonesin for that rayman game as well now. We'll pick up Zombi U for that real eye candy game, but I;m concerned about how long that game might be.. if its a cakewalk you can complete in 4-5 hours, it'll be a big disapointment.

It looks like the newegg preorder $12 discount is gone now. Has anyone seen preorder deals on any of the wii u games elsewhere?

Im hoping that since black friday is just a few more days later, some place will have a instant discount or b2g1 type of deal.

#4193 driftmr2

driftmr2

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 November 2012 - 09:23 PM

Doesn't seem like anyone around me is doing a midnight launch (Northern Denver area).

#4194 Moonlk

Moonlk

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 November 2012 - 09:48 PM

My Walmart is still accepting preorders, but I locked my preorder in 30 mins after GS opened it up online. Thank god for no more lines.
http://moonlk.blogspot.com - My Gamer Blog!

#4195 Esmith08

Esmith08

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 November 2012 - 10:06 PM

Just a quick question, does anyone happen to know places in South Jersey still accepting preorders?

#4196 Grimms

Grimms

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 November 2012 - 10:14 PM

I finally got to play the Wii U today at my local gamestop. Went in to paid off my NSMB WII U and Zombie U preorders in full. I got the chance to demo Rayman Legends as well. All I can say is, I absolutely was blown away, by how sharp and crisp the graphics were. The game was simply beautiful and I loved the colors. One thing that sold me on the Wii U after playing Rayman was the intricate detail. This is were I felt like the Next Gen of gaming needed to go and with Rayman Legends it has delivered thus far. I also loved the feel of the Wii U GamePad. It felt comfortable in my hands (I am 6'4 by the way).

The only thing that put me off a little, was having to look down at the GamePad a lot while playing the game on the TV display but everything looked simply amazing and I am glad I was able to secure a Wii U Deluxe at Target in my local area. Funny, while I was playing at Gamestop, mad people behind me were simply amazed and were like is this a new game system? They were as floored as I was lol! Now I am extra extra amped!!!!!!! November 18th cannot come fast enough. This is also coming from a hardcore gamer.

#4197 Paladinion

Paladinion

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 November 2012 - 10:53 PM

I finally got to play the Wii U today at my local gamestop. Went in to paid off my NSMB WII U and Zombie U preorders in full. I got the chance to demo Rayman Legends as well. All I can say is, I absolutely was blown away, by how sharp and crisp the graphics were. The game was simply beautiful and I loved the colors. One thing that sold me on the Wii U after playing Rayman was the intricate detail. This is were I felt like the Next Gen of gaming needed to go and with Rayman Legends it has delivered thus far. I also loved the feel of the Wii U GamePad. It felt comfortable in my hands (I am 6'4 by the way).

The only thing that put me off a little, was having to look down at the GamePad a lot while playing the game on the TV display but everything looked simply amazing and I am glad I was able to secure a Wii U Deluxe at Target in my local area. Funny, while I was playing at Gamestop, mad people behind me were simply amazed and were like is this a new game system? They were as floored as I was lol! Now I am extra extra amped!!!!!!! November 18th cannot come fast enough. This is also coming from a hardcore gamer.

less then 2 weeks now : D

#4198 madcatz1999

madcatz1999

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 November 2012 - 10:55 PM

So I'm wondering about the stylus. I'm assuming you're not supposed to use the stylus on the touch-screen all the time, right? (unlike say, on the DS). Or are most games set up where you're not going to be using the face buttons and the touch-screen at the same time? Rayman has some touch controls, yeah? Are you expected to just use your fingers or reach for the stylus every time you use the touch-screen? I'm just used to the DS, where they tell you not to use your fingers.

PSN = madcatz1999

#4199 SgtWiggles

SgtWiggles

Artist formally known as dgwillia

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 November 2012 - 10:55 PM

2 weeks away and I only have 25$ down at Gamestop, man I really need to get cracking on that thing.
Posted ImagePosted Image

#4200 kamakazi5

kamakazi5

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 November 2012 - 11:15 PM

2 weeks away and I only have 25$ down at Gamestop, man I really need to get cracking on that thing.

That had been my plan as well but at this point I'm going to just wait until launch day to pay for everything.
My games/what I'm playing - www.backloggery.com/kamakazi5