The Wii U Pre-Order Thread - $349.99/$299.99 - 11/18/12

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
8921 replies to this topic

#4261 UnseenGamer7

UnseenGamer7

CAG in Training

• CAG Veteran

Posted 05 November 2012 - 01:05 PM

Hmmmmmm haven't paid off my wal mart pre order/lay away yet, I should do that this week

I'm getting hyped :D

Make sure you don't pay it off completely or it will cause an error in the lay away system and you may not get your pre order

#4262 Esmith08

Esmith08

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 November 2012 - 01:20 PM

I am just afraid of Target and Best-Buy preorders. I can see them having 100 plus preorders and only getting 15 units.

#4263 UnseenGamer7

UnseenGamer7

CAG in Training

• CAG Veteran

Posted 05 November 2012 - 01:43 PM

I am just afraid of Target and Best-Buy preorders. I can see them having 100 plus preorders and only getting 15 units.

I think they are trying to guard against that this time. Best buy limited their pre orders and target only took 10 pre orders per store (5 basic / 5 deluxe). Walmart and GameStop though took a lot of pre orders especially Walmart

#4264 therealdanhill

therealdanhill

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 November 2012 - 02:21 PM

Be happy you don't have one at KMart.

Are the WiiU Midnight releases at Best Buy set in stone, like will they add any more stores, or is what's listed it?

I don't get the decision to not have a GameCube disc reader on the system. Is it just to resell GCN games as eShop downloads later? Is it to keep the cost down? I can't imagine adding GameCube BC would cost a lot of money.

Posted Image

#4265 007

Areaologist

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 November 2012 - 02:27 PM

I think they are trying to guard against that this time. Best buy limited their pre orders and target only took 10 pre orders per store (5 basic / 5 deluxe). Walmart and GameStop though took a lot of pre orders especially Walmart

I was surprised to hear that my GameStop alone has about 50 pre-orders. Now, I realize it's naive to think that's it's 100%, but I've been shocked by how adamant the guys at my GameStop are about the pre-orders having absolutely nothing to worry about on the 18th. I get that it's their job to keep people happy, but it hasn't sounded like 'customer is always right' kind of statements.

So, I'm hopeful. I mean, at this point, I have to be. It's the only pre-order I have in, so I'm banking on it. Plus, worst case scenario is that pre-orders get the next few shipments, so the most I'd have to deal with is not getting it right at launch. Even a guaranteed system before Christmas doesn't seem like something to scoff at given how this shaping up so far. I'm all paid off on the Deluxe and two games, so at least I'm good to go no matter when 'my' system is actually available.

Fingers crossed, but I do genuinely believe that GameStop actually had a plan here.

#4266 MushaOne

MushaOne

etc. and so forth...

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 November 2012 - 02:37 PM

I bet the resale value goes up after the 18th when people can't find them in stores. Who knows though.

Not likely. I predict the resale value drops to retail. Most of the systems bought were to be resold. It doesnt look like there will be a shortage on top of that. And most people still have no idea what a Wii U is or that it is even coming out.

#4267 coopscohen

coopscohen

All Skill, No Luck

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 November 2012 - 02:56 PM

Not likely. I predict the resale value drops to retail. Most of the systems bought were to be resold. It doesnt look like there will be a shortage on top of that. And most people still have no idea what a Wii U is or that it is even coming out.

FWIW, someone did post that the wait list GameStop started extends thru March of next year.

#4268 mustbepbs

mustbepbs

CAG in Training

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 November 2012 - 03:05 PM

Does anyone anticipate walmart having extra stock at midnight launch for non preorders?

#4269 nickerous

nickerous

Posted 05 November 2012 - 03:09 PM

I would like to keep the one I have on preorder, but if the resale price skyrockets, I'll go to Craigslist.

#4270 JaylisJayP

JaylisJayP

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 November 2012 - 03:18 PM

I have a Deluxe paid off at Gamestop, but I also still have a basic pre-order from another gamestop. I'm really not sure what to do with it. As ridiculous as it may sound, I honestly don't want to go through the hassle to sell it on ebay and risk the crap that can be associated with that if I'm only going to make like $75 off it.

I've been debating just cancelling it and getting my $25 credit back or hitting facebook and seeing if any friends in the area were trying to get one and they could just buy my pre-order for $25.

#4271 Esmith08

Esmith08

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 November 2012 - 03:20 PM

My Target just told me that they did not take preorders and expect to have plenty in stock. I don't know.

#4272 GizmoGC

GizmoGC

I love Cheese

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 November 2012 - 03:41 PM

Not going to happen.

- Holiday Season
- Limited Availability
- Likely the hottest item this year (along with iPads)

Not sure where you are getting the "doesn't look like a shortage" when we are two weeks away from launch and Nintendo (or GameStop?) already came out with the fact that the waitlist is into March (i.e. 4+ months away). It appears most reasonable people know this will infact be hard to come by and will be selling out left and right for months. Don't worry, I'm sure the "[INSERT STORE/WEBSITE] has Wii U's in stock! HURRRRRRY!!!!" threads to pop up every day here.

i've spoken to some Gamestops and most are echoing the "pre-order people are safe. People expecting to walk in...LOL" type comments.

#4273 technicalstylez

technicalstylez

Colors User

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 November 2012 - 03:57 PM

wonder how long it takes them to restock after launch
my tradelist: http://www.cheapassg...718#post8655718

now playing:

-insert DC icon here- GUNLORD :hot:

#4274 Sir_Fragalot

Sir_Fragalot

wants Startropics 3.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 November 2012 - 03:58 PM

I don't regret preordering one because I want one, but I wish they were going to be easier to find. Part of me wanted to wait until January but I know it's better off keeping my preorder instead of canceling it. It's just so much comes out this month, my bank account is seriously taking a hit :lol:.

Hopefully after the Wii-U launches, I can at least start saving money again.
Posted Image
"Mega Man 9 isn't hard, you're just not paying attention." -KingBroly

#4275 GizmoGC

GizmoGC

I love Cheese

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 November 2012 - 04:04 PM

wonder how long it takes them to restock after launch

IIRC, the Wii re-stock was twice a week. But typically people were waiting (literally) for the trucks to come in.

Best bet is going to be waiting for an online retailer to stock them. Retail stores will likely never even hit the floor.

#4276 MfMonster

MfMonster

Posted 05 November 2012 - 04:10 PM

What makes you think there will "not" be a shortage? Inside information?
VampirePrincessMiyu...

#4277 Monoxide1986

Monoxide1986

Recovering Flipper

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 November 2012 - 04:16 PM

I'm seriously considering just selling my free BK Wii-U when I get it and then take the money I gain from that and wait to buy a Deluxe version a few months after when they will be more available.

Though.. I tried the demo out at my local Bestbuy and I think I'm hooked. That touch-screen controller is pretty awesome.

#4278 coolflea216

coolflea216

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 November 2012 - 04:18 PM

If these weren't going to be hard to find would this topic have 4325 posts? These will be next to impossible to get at least until the holidays are over and probably longer.
Posted Image

#4279 mustbepbs

mustbepbs

CAG in Training

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 November 2012 - 04:45 PM

If these weren't going to be hard to find would this topic have 4325 posts? These will be next to impossible to get at least until the holidays are over and probably longer.

Even if you wait in line hours before opening day/midnight?

#4280 beatngurnuts

beatngurnuts

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 November 2012 - 05:02 PM

Waiting in line won't matter for something they won't have in stock. The Wii-U will be extremely limited stock everywhere and if you didn't preorder on already, good luck waiting in line.

#4281 jacknicklson

jacknicklson

Posted 05 November 2012 - 05:04 PM

Even if you wait in line hours before opening day/midnight?

Best Buy has printed that they will have some and mention getting their early so I would go there. Check and see if they are doing a midnight launch and then go 10-12 hours prior and check things out
Posted Image

#4282 Rosterking

Rosterking

Look away.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 November 2012 - 05:34 PM

Wow, you guy's are getting my hyped for this Wii-U. I just got some money ($500) and I think I might just buy a Wii-U to resale it at a higher price and make a profit.

#4283 nintendospy

nintendospy

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 November 2012 - 06:03 PM

Add in the fact Nintendo is launching the system worldwide this year, and I think that spells massive shortages.

North America launches first, so we get a nice initial shipment, but in the following month is the Japan and European launches. I don't see NA getting significant restock shipments until after the holidays, especially with the weak dollar. They won't be in a huge rush to sell the systems at a loss when other regions are waiting for more systems as well.

#4284 advanced

advanced

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 November 2012 - 06:08 PM

All this talk about shortages is making me pretty paranoid about all three of my preorders. I just want one. I'm not even going to flip the others.

#4285 Bii

Bii

*does the robot*

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 November 2012 - 06:28 PM

Can I still do a layaway at Wal-Mart for a Wii U?

#4286 scottc1s

scottc1s

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 November 2012 - 06:32 PM

I have three preordered right now from different gamestops. I'm number 2 at one place number 3 on another gamestop and number 9 at another one. I'm really excited for this system. Plan on flipping the other two to hopefully cover the cost of being able to keep one for my family. My daughter already freaks out at touch screens and I'm pretty sure she isn't the only one. Just look at the ipads number item kids want for Christmas This will be the hottest toy out this holiday season
Posted Image

#4287 maximumzero

maximumzero

Seriously, quit it.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 November 2012 - 06:36 PM

The whole flipping thing is a massive gamble. Folks trying to due it with the PS3 at its launch got burned terribly.

Personally there's not enough profit in it to go through all the hassle, in my humble opinion.

I would love to be able to pre-order one to actually play the damn thing though, but I missed that boat.

#4288 Octopod

Octopod

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 November 2012 - 06:45 PM

It is not much of a gamble considering that you can just return it to the store and get your money back if all else fails. There isn't enough profit right now though I agree. I only paid for two, one to keep and one to maybe sell and help cover the cost of the first one. I am going to try CL even though I have never used it. Meet at a police station and only accept cash money. I'll wait till after the 18th and see what happens and hopefully try to get at least $600 or I'll just return it or gift it to my brother-in-laws family for Xmas. No biggie either way.

#4289 NoMeDigas

NoMeDigas

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 November 2012 - 07:07 PM

I'm sure it's been mentioned in this huge thread somewhere, but anyone else with an in store pre-order at Best Buy been told how they're going to be taking care of pre-orders?

Technically, Best Buy and BestBuy.com are two separate entities. Wii-U consoles purchased as in-store pre-orders on BestBuy.com should never even hit the shelf.

#4290 Donut2922

Donut2922

Read the OP!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 November 2012 - 07:10 PM

The whole flipping thing is a massive gamble. Folks trying to due it with the PS3 at its launch got burned terribly.

Personally there's not enough profit in it to go through all the hassle, in my humble opinion.

I would love to be able to pre-order one to actually play the damn thing though, but I missed that boat.

I remembered the PS3 launch to be very different. People were paying $1,000 in the secondary market for them at first. The shortage was not as long as the Wii though of course.