• This topic is locked This topic is locked
8921 replies to this topic

#4291 Donut2922

Donut2922

Read the OP!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 November 2012 - 07:12 PM

wonder how long it takes them to restock after launch

Whoa a tech sighting! Where you been brother?

#4292 screwkick

screwkick

\m/ >< \m/

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 November 2012 - 07:16 PM

Just as a side note, I logged into my BestBuy.com account last night, and they have already processed my order. Now all they have to do is show up in store for pick-up.

#4293 juanawoman

juanawoman

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 November 2012 - 07:31 PM

Some of you people saying there won't be a shortage seem to forget Amazon won't be selling the Wii U. I know GameStop/Wal-Mart/Target/etc will be getting a share of what would be Amazon's supply, but you have a lot of people who just hate b&m stores and won't want to deal with them.

The whole flipping thing is a massive gamble. Folks trying to due it with the PS3 at its launch got burned terribly.

Personally there's not enough profit in it to go through all the hassle, in my humble opinion.

I would love to be able to pre-order one to actually play the damn thing though, but I missed that boat.

Why do people keep saying it's a gamble? One word: receipts.

Also, after launch, PS3 resellers were making over $200-$400 on each one they sold. Granted, it was only the first 1 or 2 weeks, but still.
Posted ImagePosted Image

#4294 shiveringmelody

shiveringmelody

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 November 2012 - 07:32 PM

Just got back from running some errands and while I was out I stopped by my local Best Buy. Seems in the last week they finally got their Wii-U demo set up. I absolutely enjoyed the demo for Rayman Legends and definitely will have to consider getting it in March when it releases. Everyone was right when saying the gamepad is very light. Took me a few minutes to get used to it, but within 5 mins I was getting the hang of it. Starting to feel very happy about getting Assassin's Creed III for Wii-U. Will bring even more freshness to the series that I love so much.
Posted Image

#4295 perfectsil

perfectsil

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 November 2012 - 07:50 PM

Also, after launch, PS3 resellers were making over $200-$400 on each one they sold. Granted, it was only the first 1 or 2 weeks, but still.

I wouldn't count on being able to flip for much of a profit, the original Wii was released also on mid November, I remember I just walked in a walmart and got one a few days later.

#4296 UnseenGamer7

UnseenGamer7

CAG in Training

• CAG Veteran

Posted 05 November 2012 - 07:59 PM

Some of you people saying there won't be a shortage seem to forget Amazon won't be selling the Wii U. I know GameStop/Wal-Mart/Target/etc will be getting a share of what would be Amazon's supply, but you have a lot of people who just hate b&m stores and won't want to deal with them.

Why do people keep saying it's a gamble? One word: receipts.

With the amazon vs Nintendo issues it isn't a guarantee that amazon will sell the wii u unless its through sellers unfortunately

#4297 coolflea216

coolflea216

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 November 2012 - 08:00 PM

I wouldn't count on being able to flip for much of a profit, the original Wii was released also on mid November, I remember I just walked in a walmart and got one a few days later.

i don't know where you live but in my neck of the woods they couldn't be found for over a year.
Posted Image

#4298 TwistedShade

TwistedShade

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 November 2012 - 08:02 PM

Sucks that i didn't bother preordering and now since i have over 200$ in Gamestop credit i'm locked waiting for them.

#4299 defpally

defpally

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 November 2012 - 08:08 PM

I think the gamble lies in the people that are expecting their second system to flip and pay for the first. Sure, most stores will allow a full refund (I'd be sure to ask though, some stores may put a restocking fee on hardware), but a whole lot of people are anticipating getting their first system for free in the end. If you are depending on the flip to be able to afford the system, there is a risk. It is not a guaranteed win, you might be caught in a deluge of people trying to flip them - as with the PS3. There is a limit to where the mass market will tolerate price mark-ups, and this flipping idea seems to be really common. You are depending on parents here, the gamers that really want one probably pre-ordered when it first opened. To pay for a second, you need to get $800 (counting tax) and then you are getting up into PS3 land, and the Wii U is not going to be anywhere as short of a supply as the PS3 was on release. Parents might spring for a $150 Tickle Me Elmo, but almost a grand for a new Wii?

But, also there are a lot of other potential risks. Fraud issues over Ebay. Bid snipers and spoilers. Even with good precautions, Craigslist is always a question mark. People have been robbed even in front of the police station (and if you are right and it is highly desired, people will take more chances on that). You also have the general unreliability of others to consider, you make that perfect deal and they never show up - then you have to go sell it again, more time and effort.

Some people like that game, and the allure of making a big sale. I'm not fond of the headaches, personally. I guess it depends on your expectations. I just hope in the end, the scalpers don't hurt the system. It's really pretty cool and fun, it would be a shame to get to Dec. 26th and have the shelves full of returned systems from resellers that couldn't flip them because parents decided it isn't worth the cash and got little Johnny an XBox instead.

#4300 skiizim

skiizim

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 November 2012 - 08:08 PM

I remembered the PS3 launch to be very different. People were paying $1,000 in the secondary market for them at first. The shortage was not as long as the Wii though of course.

lol... That's probably because of a $600 price tag, I do remember the PS3 being easier to find than the Wii though.

Now where did I put that $600 doorstop at. ='(

#4301 Grimms

Grimms

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 November 2012 - 08:17 PM

Meh. Tried a unit at a local gamestop. I'm not impressed. If you're unsure, go try for yourself. I just didn't see anything that cannot be done on current consoles (except for the gimmick of the tablet, and most people have a few of those already.)

It's all about "intricate details" processing powers, weather feects and more characters on the screen with higher resolution and visuals. thats what makes it great. Not a huge increase in graphics but intricate details where they needed to go. Thats why I was impressed and getting a deluxe unit on launch. I do respect your opinion though. Thats why I quoted you.

#4302 juanawoman

juanawoman

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 November 2012 - 08:25 PM

i don't know where you live but in my neck of the woods they couldn't be found for over a year.

It was the same for me.
Posted ImagePosted Image

#4303 Grimms

Grimms

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 November 2012 - 08:36 PM

It was the same for me.

I couldn't get the original white Wii for almost two years up here Northeast (Boston). They were sold out EVERYWHERE. So I believe you and coolflea216 lol.

#4304 Failgrim

Failgrim

Posted 05 November 2012 - 08:52 PM

Same here. I actually waited in line at my local Wal-Mart for mine on launch night. They ushered us into the customer service waiting area where they had some metal folding chairs set up. They had received 22 consoles, I was #20. Our local GameStop got one additional shipment before the Wii was out of stock in our area for SEVERAL months. I actually played through Twilight Princess, held onto mine for a little while, then sold it for $500 on eBay. Worked out quite nicely.

#4305 ProppaT

ProppaT

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 November 2012 - 08:56 PM

I couldn't get the original white Wii for almost two years up here Northeast (Boston). They were sold out EVERYWHERE. So I believe you and coolflea216 lol.

I would find Wii's in stores every week or so...and I live in Orlando, so it's not like I was going to low business stores. I usually hit Target about twice a week during my lunch break and they weren't impossible to find.

#4306 Firecrest

Firecrest

BOOMSHALAKALAKA!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 November 2012 - 09:05 PM

I worked for Circuit City at the time, and for at least a solid six or seven months we would have customers lined up outside prior to the store's opening, holding out for a Wii. It was essentially launch day every day we got a shipment in.

Kinda expecting the same for the WiiU based on these low quantities I've been hearing about, but then again, who knows.

fs_overall.png

#4307 Octopod

Octopod

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 November 2012 - 09:06 PM

I took me almost two years to get a Wii also. I'm glad I have pre-orders locked in and almost paid in full this time. This is in Mass.

#4308 007

Areaologist

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 November 2012 - 09:26 PM

It took me until February to actually find a Wii after launch. Honestly, it was all about timing... even if people weren't camped out, they seemed to basically to come off the truck in very small quantities and were gone soon after. Only reason I got one was because the GameStop 5 minutes away told me they just got a shipment that morning and that the GameStop 10 minutes away gets their truck later in the day. I hauled ass to the other GameStop and just waited for the truck to get there. The luxuries of being in college for a console launch, right?

The worst was when I was at the mall with my ex that December and she insisted we go to Hallmark first. I head to GameStop right after, and see a woman buying the last Wii they had. Without that 20 minutes in Hallmark, I would've had one 2 months sooner. That was... that was not a great day after that. Ha.

#4309 spauldingfan

spauldingfan

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 November 2012 - 09:50 PM

Just saw old navy's bf ad... Free New Mario bros U w/ $40 purchase and they are giving away 1000 wii u basic systems.

http://bfads.net/Ad/Old-Navy-2012

#4310 Theswweet

Theswweet

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 November 2012 - 09:51 PM

Grr, the wait for the release is KILLING me!
I'm 100% Cheap, 100%, and 100% Gamer. Add me whenever you can!... I don't bite.:applause:

Spoiler

Want free games from Amazon/Gamestop? XBLA, PSN, Nintendo store-fronts? Check out the links in my spoilers above!

#4311 Octopod

Octopod

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 November 2012 - 09:53 PM

Just saw old navy's bf ad... Free New Mario bros U w/ $40 purchase and they are giving away 1000 wii u basic systems.

Serious? My wife likes to buy crap from there anyhow. I'll have to check that out.

#4312 TwistedShade

TwistedShade

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 November 2012 - 09:54 PM

http://bfads.net/Ad/Old-Navy-2012

Wow i just googled and it's true that's a good deal.

#4313 spauldingfan

spauldingfan

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 November 2012 - 09:58 PM

I think the 1000 wii u s is an instant win contest.

#4314 TwistedShade

TwistedShade

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 November 2012 - 10:00 PM

I think the 1000 wii u s is an instant win contest.

It's pretty fuzzy but it looks like that's what the ad says. that's interesting with how scarce the supply is i wonder how good of a chance you actually have.

#4315 spauldingfan

spauldingfan

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 November 2012 - 10:02 PM

It's pretty fuzzy but it looks like that's what the ad says. that's interesting with how scarce the supply is i wonder how good of a chance you actually have.

I remember years ago they were giving away iPods with an instant win and saw two people win while I was in the store shopping. As far as the game, I'd say be one of the first 25, that's how it was for Lego rock band and dance central the previous years.

#4316 soxxx

soxxx

CAG in Training

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 November 2012 - 10:06 PM

Just as a side note, I logged into my BestBuy.com account last night, and they have already processed my order. Now all they have to do is show up in store for pick-up.

So glad that I ordered mine online, with in store pickup. It seems like the most safest route out their. Bestbuy already has my money on hold so they know my moneys coming.

I guess in store pickup stuff they lock up in a cage of some sort so no one will be getting my Wii U!

#4317 Deader2818

Deader2818

Flipadelphia!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 November 2012 - 10:10 PM

Wow, i need new jeans and stuff anyways. Might just do that, get the g/f some clothes, get the free mario and return it to game stop to get my credit back, lol.

#4318 Esmith08

Esmith08

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 November 2012 - 10:12 PM

Pretty sweet deal. My Old Navy is pretty much going out of business, so if I am able to cop a system on launch, I would be all over this deal.

#4319 bombfirst885

bombfirst885

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 November 2012 - 10:31 PM

I remember years ago they were giving away iPods with an instant win and saw two people win while I was in the store shopping. As far as the game, I'd say be one of the first 25, that's how it was for Lego rock band and dance central the previous years.

first in line or checkout? My wife could potentially get this. :)

#4320 mousebites

mousebites

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 November 2012 - 10:33 PM

Canceled my GameStop mario u order because of this deal and got black ops 2 instead sweet deal done before for dance central a few years back