The Wii U Pre-Order Thread - $349.99/$299.99 - 11/18/12

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
8921 replies to this topic

#4801 maximumzero

maximumzero

Seriously, quit it.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 November 2012 - 07:09 PM

Was anybody around for the Wii, PS3, or 360 launches at Wal-Mart? Anyone know how those are handled? Will I have to show up six hours early? Will I have to wait outside? Do I just walk up to the cashier in electronics at 11:59 and ask for a Wii U?

#4802 Rockym

Rockym

CAG in Training

• CAG in Training

Posted 10 November 2012 - 07:18 PM

I've had several, but they are niche titles. Pokemon Conquest was the most recent. I agree that they use deceptive tactics to boost pre-orders, but I would guess that's a by-product of the pressure the corporation puts on the employees to drive those numbers.

Now that Amazon doesn't offer Release Day Delivery, I've started pre-ordering more games at Gamestop. Pre-order bonuses also sway me, like the Ni No Kuni steelbook.

What are you talking about? Amazon still has release day delivery. They just don't do it for Nintendo first party games because they generally release on Sundays, when there are no shipments delivered. Any other game will still offer release day delivery.

#4803 tipio

tipio

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 November 2012 - 07:21 PM

Does anyone know which launch games will support the screen sharing feature?

So far the games that support it are:
Black Ops 2: I watched a video for Black Ops 2 and the split-screen multiplayer looks like a lot of fun.

NSMB-U: this is pretty much the game selling this feature

Nintendoland - will not. All minigames require the Gamepad and additional Wii Motes

Assassin's Creed 3 - doubtful because of gamepad functioning as a map

Batman - seems doubtful

ZombieU - seems doubtful

Darksiders 2 - seems doubtful [ Edit : Actually it will! http://www.joystiq.c...y-included-dlc/ ]

Mass Effect 3 - seems doubtful

I can't find much information about this. Is that due to the embargo on reviews/information until the games are actually out?

#4804 tightclaws

tightclaws

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 November 2012 - 07:22 PM

Was anybody around for the Wii, PS3, or 360 launches at Wal-Mart? Anyone know how those are handled? Will I have to show up six hours early? Will I have to wait outside? Do I just walk up to the cashier in electronics at 11:59 and ask for a Wii U?

If you have one on Lay-Away no, if your just going there without a pre-order yes.
Posted Image

#4805 jedi0077

jedi0077

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 November 2012 - 07:25 PM

Line will be back in electronics. I love gadget lines!!!

#4806 gmsick

gmsick

SAY IT WITH YA CHEST

• Silenced

Posted 10 November 2012 - 07:25 PM

Anybody know if stores carry the Wii LAN adapters anymore? Word on the street is that we're going to need one of these things for the WiiU. Good luck playing anything like Black Ops online with WiFi.

My pick for dumb post of the day. Lol!

#4807 KratosGOW2525

KratosGOW2525

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 November 2012 - 07:30 PM

:lol:

#4808 gravel

gravel

Posted 10 November 2012 - 07:30 PM

What are you talking about? Amazon still has release day delivery. They just don't do it for Nintendo first party games because they generally release on Sundays, when there are no shipments delivered. Any other game will still offer release day delivery.

Really? I'll have to look into that. Still 99 cents?

Currently Playing
:ps3:
Lego Marvel Super Heroes, Diablo III, Skylanders Swap Force, The Puppeteer
:360:
:wii: Lego City Undercover, NES Remix
:ds: Pokemon Y
:psp: Tearaway

#4809 Blaster man

Blaster man

Posted 10 November 2012 - 07:31 PM

Just curious, is anyone actually buying Darksiders 2 for Wii U?

#4810 mustbepbs

mustbepbs

CAG in Training

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 November 2012 - 07:35 PM

I was for the Wii at walmart. I was in line in front of the store for 14 hours till they opened at 7 AM. They had everyone line up and they brought all the stuff for sale for the Wii to the front customer service counter. We were all brought in in a line and purchased one by one.

I don't know how they're going to handle the layaway orders versus the non pre orders. The document for the Wii U layaway program said they would be available at 12:01 AM from the layaway counter. I'd like to think they'll come out at midnight and ask for the people who pre ordered to head to layaway. The document also said they'll put out games and accessories at the counter.

As for the other people who didn't I'd imagine they'll take them the same way they did for the Wii which is in order and one by one until they're sold out. By 7 AM at my small town walmart there were about 40 people in line behind me. They had 20 units.

#4811 Gareee

Gareee

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 November 2012 - 07:42 PM

Just curious, is anyone actually buying Darksiders 2 for Wii U?

Yep, Wii are. Higher res textures, all the released dlc, and a few of the exclusive weapons included as well as gamepad enhancements.

We've held out on AC3 and Darksiders2 for the enhanced wii U versions.

The dlc costs alone make thje darksiders version attractive, even at the full retail price.

(Normally we wait for deep discounts, but we want a few great titles to tinker with on the WiiU.)

#4812 maximumzero

maximumzero

Seriously, quit it.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 November 2012 - 07:47 PM

I was for the Wii at walmart. I was in line in front of the store for 14 hours till they opened at 7 AM. They had everyone line up and they brought all the stuff for sale for the Wii to the front customer service counter. We were all brought in in a line and purchased one by one.

I don't know how they're going to handle the layaway orders versus the non pre orders. The document for the Wii U layaway program said they would be available at 12:01 AM from the layaway counter. I'd like to think they'll come out at midnight and ask for the people who pre ordered to head to layaway. The document also said they'll put out games and accessories at the counter.

As for the other people who didn't I'd imagine they'll take them the same way they did for the Wii which is in order and one by one until they're sold out. By 7 AM at my small town walmart there were about 40 people in line behind me. They had 20 units.

Fuck, 14 hours? I don't know if I want one that badly...

I guess I'll go in around noon on the 17th and try to ask someone what the plans are.

#4813 mustbepbs

mustbepbs

CAG in Training

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 November 2012 - 07:52 PM

Fuck, 14 hours? I don't know if I want one that badly...

I guess I'll go in around noon on the 17th and try to ask someone what the plans are.

I wanted one that badly. I was young and had a friend with me. It was a lot of fun. People really didn't start showing up till about 4 hours before opening, so I wouldn't worry about getting there as early as I did.

I'm planning on going around 5 PM and seeing if there is a line and what the plans are for layaway. I'm still going to wait even though mine is pre ordered. Don't want to screw up my chance after waiting this long.

#4814 KratosGOW2525

KratosGOW2525

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 November 2012 - 08:01 PM

Anyone else here pre-order in-store at Target?

#4815 riotheart

riotheart

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 November 2012 - 08:03 PM

No, no one has.

#4816 doctorfaustus

doctorfaustus

Posted 10 November 2012 - 08:05 PM

Any word on how Toys R Us will be handling the launch? Did anyone other CAGs pre-order from them?
[thread=80647]Click for crappy trade list.[/thread]

24 Hour Gaming Marathon for Charity! EXTRA LIFE OCTOBER 2011

Low Budget Blog- Featuring Review: Helsing's Fire (iPhone) and Star Wars: Cantina (iPhone Review)

#4817 SpartenOmega117

SpartenOmega117

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 November 2012 - 08:05 PM

hmmm contemplating whether or not i should cancel my gamestop pre order

#4818 mBucket

mBucket

CAG in Training

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 November 2012 - 08:06 PM

Yeah, I did. I have a Black Deluxe reservation card for 2 separate Target stores, just in case something goes wrong on release day.

#4819 KratosGOW2525

KratosGOW2525

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 November 2012 - 08:06 PM

Yeah, I did. I have a Black Deluxe reservation card for 2 separate Target stores, just in case something goes wrong on release day.

I am slightly worried. With them being in such high demand, I feel even with my pre-order card, if I do not get there right at opening, mine will be sold.

#4820 mBucket

mBucket

CAG in Training

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 November 2012 - 08:08 PM

I am slightly worried. With them being in such high demand, I feel even with my pre-order card, if I do not get there right at opening, mine will be sold.

Yeah, both of the Target stores near me open at 8:00am. I plan to be at one around 7:45 or so and if something goes wrong and I can't get it then I'm going to run to the other one. I figure at least one of the stores will follow policy and actually reserve it for me.

#4821 jedi0077

jedi0077

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 November 2012 - 08:13 PM

Does anyone know which launch games will support the screen sharing feature?

So far the games that support it are:
Black Ops 2: I watched a video for Black Ops 2 and the split-screen multiplayer looks like a lot of fun.

NSMB-U: this is pretty much the game selling this feature

Nintendoland - will not. All minigames require the Gamepad and additional Wii Motes

Assassin's Creed 3 - doubtful because of gamepad functioning as a map

Batman - seems doubtful

ZombieU - seems doubtful

Darksiders 2 - seems doubtful [ Edit : Actually it will! http://www.joystiq.c...y-included-dlc/ ]

Mass Effect 3 - seems doubtful

I can't find much information about this. Is that due to the embargo on reviews/information until the games are actually out?

Rayman makes great use of it.

#4822 litepink

litepink

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 November 2012 - 08:16 PM

I got the Wii at a 24 hour Walmart, and was about 12th in line at noon. As someone else mentioned, you probably don't have to show up quite that early but it was fun anyways despite the frigid Minnesota cold. Walmart had no real "system" for handling us, but we made our own list and gave it to a manager. The hell if we're going to wait for hours and not get one.

Of course, with the whole layaway thing this time, it changes things.

#4823 Dr. Dib

Dr. Dib

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 November 2012 - 08:29 PM

Anybody know if stores carry the Wii LAN adapters anymore? Word on the street is that we're going to need one of these things for the WiiU. Good luck playing anything like Black Ops online with WiFi.

Nintendo carries them:
http://store.nintend...rencyPreference

Though I think it would be a better idea to see if your WIFI connection can be improved instead of shelling out the $25 for this dongle.

#4824 MetalSlugger

MetalSlugger

Wubadubadub, is that true?

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 November 2012 - 08:29 PM

Why exactly?

To answer his question, the only physical store I've ever seen it stocked at is Micro Center and they only have a third-party version. eBay is your best bet for an official Nintendo one. And you will definitely need one...the difference between wifi and LAN on the Wii is huge. Be sure to get the official Nintendo one for 100% game compatibility.

EDIT: And before anyone asks, yes my home wifi is set up correctly. The dongle is just better.

uc.png

#4825 jj5206

jj5206

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 November 2012 - 08:45 PM

I was very tempted to camp out at a local K-Mart for one of these, but I unfortunately have to pass due to a lack of funds. I just started a new job so money has gotten kind of tight :(

#4826 Kezmer

Kezmer

Disgruntled Gamer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 November 2012 - 08:52 PM

I bought a Target pre order card for a black model. Im guessing that means ill get one but I really have no idea. Just going to go when target opens and see if my pre order card gets me one
[URL="http://exophase.com/gamercards/"]Posted Image[/URL]

#4827 Major Marvelous

Major Marvelous

CAG in Training

• CAG in Training

Posted 10 November 2012 - 08:57 PM

Thanks for the post.

Does this mean that if I do a search on NewEgg for any "USB 2.0 Connector" that I'll be able to buy whatever generic item comes up in the search, or do I need a Nintendo-specific product?

(The whole part about "Wii LAN Adapters" confuses me....)

I didn't see anyone respond to this so I thought I would. For the Wii, you have to have an adapter specifically designed for the it. I was able to get a Nyko Wii adapter at Gamestop for $20 and it works perfectly fine. I'm not sure whether or not you can use a generic LAN adapter for the Wii U, though.

#4828 maximumzero

maximumzero

Seriously, quit it.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 November 2012 - 09:06 PM

I wanted one that badly. I was young and had a friend with me. It was a lot of fun. People really didn't start showing up till about 4 hours before opening, so I wouldn't worry about getting there as early as I did.

I'm planning on going around 5 PM and seeing if there is a line and what the plans are for layaway. I'm still going to wait even though mine is pre ordered. Don't want to screw up my chance after waiting this long.

Unfortunately I don't have a pre-order. I tried to pre-order this week but they cut it off on November 1st it seems.

#4829 maximumzero

maximumzero

Seriously, quit it.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 November 2012 - 09:07 PM

I got the Wii at a 24 hour Walmart, and was about 12th in line at noon. As someone else mentioned, you probably don't have to show up quite that early but it was fun anyways despite the frigid Minnesota cold. Walmart had no real "system" for handling us, but we made our own list and gave it to a manager. The hell if we're going to wait for hours and not get one.

Of course, with the whole layaway thing this time, it changes things.

According to the layaway clerk at my local wal-mart only three were preordered.

#4830 gmsick

gmsick

SAY IT WITH YA CHEST

• Silenced

Posted 10 November 2012 - 09:08 PM

Why exactly?

Because saying "Good luck playing anything like Black Ops online with Wifi." Is an idiotic comment.