The Wii U Pre-Order Thread - $349.99/$299.99 - 11/18/12

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
8921 replies to this topic

#5131 driftmr2

driftmr2

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 November 2012 - 08:47 PM

I could just see all of the Deluxe additions being dirt cheap used later down the road... we'll see I guess. Just trying to distract myself to make this week go by faster.

#5132 Sir_Fragalot

Sir_Fragalot

wants Startropics 3.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 November 2012 - 08:50 PM

Well crab battle. I just checked my statements and was never charged. Solid. Oh well.

Don't forget it's a week before launch and I am using a debit card so it was an authorization for $386. Still though, it's good news. I am sure GS.com has their stock ready and will charge when it ships. I guess they are doing authorizations now for the Wii-U.
Posted Image
"Mega Man 9 isn't hard, you're just not paying attention." -KingBroly

#5133 Bankotsu

Bankotsu

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 November 2012 - 08:53 PM

I could just see all of the Deluxe additions being dirt cheap used later down the road... we'll see I guess. Just trying to distract myself to make this week go by faster.

A game I was going to probably buy anyways when it's on sale and a bigger internal memory is worth it alone for me.

#5134 Aejeck

Aejeck

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 November 2012 - 08:55 PM

Just got back from one of my local Targets, had to pick up some random junk for the house, and decided to stop in and ask how they were going to handle the release. The electronics manager told me that that particular store didn't sell any of the pre-orders and so all of them will be first come first serve. I'm not sure how accurate that information was, since they had a spot for them next to the other Wii U game pre order cards, but unlike every other Target, they didn't have any of the gray dots signifying they were sold out.

#5135 Marauder7

Marauder7

FF14 Addict

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 November 2012 - 08:55 PM

Dead link?

http://www.deepdisco...LACK-DELUXE-SET

Link to Deluxe Set which is 411.51 and available to ship out on the 20th.
Posted ImagePosted Image

#5136 irighti

irighti

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 November 2012 - 08:56 PM

I went with the basic because it was all that was available to me at the time. I don't care for the accessories, and I have a strong feeling they can be had for cheap soon enough. I still find the lack of not including a copy of the game with each console a poor decision. if you want to charge more for the memory, stand/cradle...I understand that. oh well.

#5137 Drclaw411

Drclaw411

I miss Cartoon Orbit

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 November 2012 - 09:07 PM

Dead link?

I think it was due to the Cheapy's referral link throwing it off. Here it is without the front part of the URL, maybe thy will work.

deepdiscount.com/video_game/WIIU-HARDWARE-WIIU-CONSOLE-BLACK-DELUXE-SET

#5138 vtswordfish

vtswordfish

CAG in Training

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 November 2012 - 09:08 PM

Geez, why the upcharge on that, ridiculous.

#5139 Rockym

Rockym

CAG in Training

• CAG in Training

Posted 12 November 2012 - 09:21 PM

Don't forget it's a week before launch and I am using a debit card so it was an authorization for $386. Still though, it's good news. I am sure GS.com has their stock ready and will charge when it ships. I guess they are doing authorizations now for the Wii-U.

I'm starting to get worried now. I preordered at gamestop.com on 9/13 and haven't been charged yet, but I also haven't received any email from them either. My order is just listed as open. I hope I hear something soon.

#5140 maximumzero

maximumzero

Seriously, quit it.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 November 2012 - 09:21 PM

Geez, why the upcharge on that, ridiculous.

So much for a deep discount, mirite?

#5141 vtswordfish

vtswordfish

CAG in Training

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 November 2012 - 09:23 PM

Yeah, I've caught a few decent bluray deals from deepdiscount, but overall I find them to be overpriced.

#5142 shady859

shady859

Big Blue Nation

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 November 2012 - 09:38 PM

The real money to be made is on Craigslist and let them comparison shop to Ebay. Just make sure you packin heat or bring a friend and most importantly meet in public as you never know who will show up.

#5143 johnmirra

johnmirra

Damn Fine Cup of Coffee

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 November 2012 - 09:42 PM

Gamestop.com has charged my credit card i'm hoping this is a good sign. I had my preorder in the day they opened them up.
Theres nothing worse then a hot pickle - My Dad

#5144 Drclaw411

Drclaw411

I miss Cartoon Orbit

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 November 2012 - 09:52 PM

Cost Captain CSRs unsure of when they will receive the Wii U units. They're expecting sometime between launch and Xmas

Did you call them up? Or is that on the page somewhere?

#5145 Drclaw411

Drclaw411

I miss Cartoon Orbit

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 November 2012 - 10:22 PM

I updated the OP with links to the places that still have pre-orders available for higher than MSRP, just in case anyone is interested. It's Deep Discount, HSN, and Cost Captain.
WTB: Outback Joey ($900 bounty for cart only!)

#5146 grumpier

grumpier

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 November 2012 - 10:42 PM

Yep, it was like the early days of the 360 and the "core" set they were pushing.

I wouldn't go that far. Core did not have any hd cable, no wireless controller, and no way to save games built in (no harddrive/ mem card). The difference here withe the WiiU versions is that the deluxe version has pretty much what i view as a tech demo game, two pieces of plastic for supporting the system/controller and 32 gig hard drive versus the eight gig hard drive for the basic. Honestly Id rather take the 50 bucks And get a full retail retail game (if your a proper cheapassgamer :). I think you can make a fair case for buying either one. But the basic WiiU is nothing like the Xbox Core was from the onset.

#5147 majorscud

majorscud

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 November 2012 - 10:43 PM

I finally got to speak with a manager that had been in contact with Amazon.com's promotions department.

He was able to confirm that Activision updated them, and Nuketown 2025 is not coming to the Wii U.

He apologized and gave me a small credit for the issue.

I was curious before because they had emailed me a code that looked like this XXXX-XXXXXX-XXXXXX saying it was a preorder code. It turns out this is the code for the $5 video promo credit that is already applied to your account after it ships.

#5148 tightclaws

tightclaws

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 November 2012 - 10:49 PM

I finally got to speak with a manager that had been in contact with Amazon.com's promotions department.

He was able to confirm that Activision updated them, and Nuketown 2025 is not coming to the Wii U.

He apologized and gave me a small credit for the issue.

I was curious before because they had emailed me a code that looked like this XXXX-XXXXXX-XXXXXX saying it was a preorder code. It turns out this is the code for the $5 video promo credit that is already applied to your account after it ships.

That is a big bummer and it has larger implications about the weakness of Nintendo's online plan. I find this distressing.
Posted Image

#5149 Grimms

Grimms

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 November 2012 - 10:52 PM

Any info on the Target launch and how they're handling their pre-orders?

I ended up preordering the black wii u deluxe from my local Target and was told you need to bring in your card with the receipt and you also have up to 7 days (Six after launch), to pick up your unit or they will sell it. I'll be there 7 am on launch day. I would love it, if someone who works at Target, who frequents this board (Thread) would comment on this as well.

#5150 xavior

xavior

Posted 12 November 2012 - 11:06 PM

I ended up preordering the black wii u deluxe from my local Target and was told you need to bring in your card with the receipt and you also have up to 7 days (Six after launch), to pick up your unit or they will sell it. I'll be there 7 am on launch day. I would love it, if someone who works at Target, who frequents this board (Thread) would comment on this as well.

I work for Target. The "guy walking around" has no clue what he is talking about. Here is how preordering works at Target.

Target sells preorder cards. Each title/product has an end date (usually a week before the game releases) where the store has to pull the cards from the sales floor and can no longer sell them. Corporate calculates how many preorder cards were sold per store. When the product comes in, the store holds back the number of preorders they received total. Those preorder units are held back for 7 days, in which the store has to put them back on the shelf to the public. Your preorder card is basically your ticket to pick up your preorder. The store will not sell any preorder held units to ANYBODY without a preorder card. If you lost it, then you're screwed. The held back preorder units only go to the folks who present the preorder cards, so the possibility of those going to "first come, first serve" isn't possible.

Does that mean the system is perfect? No. Is it possible you have an incompetent store who forgets to hold back preorders? Sure. Anybody can fall victim to that at any retail store that does preorders though. Is it possible some douche comes in and uses his card at another store and throws off the counts? Sure but the odds of that are low. The only thing I can think of that could possibly screw you guys out of your preorder is if the store forgets to pull the preorder cards when the preorder date expires and you somehow purchase one and it doesn't get counted as a preorder. I'm not sure if it would still be counted or not after that date, but it is possible that your preorder wouldn't count in that case.

So my recommendation is to check the preorder date on the back of the card (top right corner) to make sure it is still valid before you purchase it. Other than that, yes you are guaranteed your system if you preorder at Target.

Like he says, you can always have a Target with incompetent staff, but hopefully it'll be smooth sailing for those of us who preordered there (I got a preorder at another Target as well, just in case).

#5151 Aejeck

Aejeck

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 November 2012 - 11:15 PM

Is it possible that a Target never put out the cards? The electronics guy (supposedly the guy in charge of that department) I talked to told me they didn't do the preorders, but it just seems odd that they didn't since every Target I went to did them. I don't mind camping out, but I want to pick the best store to give me the best chance to get one.

#5152 majorscud

majorscud

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 November 2012 - 11:26 PM

Looks like people that are late to the party still have a good shot to get one. Here is what I've heard in central Florida:

Target: No extra systems right now, may get a couple before Sunday
Gamestop: No extra systems right now, may get a couple before Sunday
Kmart: We'll have some to sell Sunday morning for walk-ins
Walmart: We'll have some to sell at midnight Sunday morning for walk-ins
Bestbuy: We'll have some to sell Sunday morning for walk-ins

#5153 kayne2000

kayne2000

All Glory to Tachikoma Paradise

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 November 2012 - 11:33 PM

Looks like people that are late to the party still have a good shot to get one. Here is what I've heard in central Florida:

just be sure to pack a shotgun for that madhouse.

#5154 vtswordfish

vtswordfish

CAG in Training

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 November 2012 - 11:33 PM

I wonder how many target cards were 'jacked' and never actually had money put down on them. A few local targets said they didn't even know about the cards but when I looked around I noticed they had pegs out at the Wii U section for them.

#5155 Aejeck

Aejeck

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 November 2012 - 11:46 PM

In SWFL I was told Target would have limited extras, the rest said the same thing. I heard Walmart won't have any deluxe models though.

#5156 kurtori

kurtori

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 November 2012 - 11:49 PM

Slightly OT but it looks like Rayman Legends has been pushed from 12/4/12 to March 2013. :/

#5157 xavior

xavior

Posted 12 November 2012 - 11:51 PM

I wonder how many target cards were 'jacked' and never actually had money put down on them. A few local targets said they didn't even know about the cards but when I looked around I noticed they had pegs out at the Wii U section for them.

The cards are scanned on purchase, and I'm assuming that's how they keep track of preorders. The joke's on whoever was foolish enough to steal/hide any cards.

#5158 vtswordfish

vtswordfish

CAG in Training

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 November 2012 - 11:54 PM

The cards are scanned on purchase, and I'm assuming that's how they keep track of preorders. The joke's on whoever was foolish enough to steal/hide any cards.

Yeah I feel like I saw some people selling 'just the card' though without even having put the money down on it. I could see a bunch of people scamming or such with the cards since people were willing to pay just for those.

#5159 ELUNO

ELUNO

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 November 2012 - 12:11 AM

Called the Target I got my pre-order card from, and the guy was clueless about everything. "You want a Wii?"
But he was honest enough to tell me that he didn't want to give me a wrong answer and that I should call tomorrow (when a regular worker is in?)

#5160 Tdog987

Tdog987

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 November 2012 - 12:16 AM

So what time is everyone (who pre-ordered) going to pick up their Wii U?

I got mine at WM...thinking about getting there at 11:30 pm..bring my DS and game some games during the wait. Getting there a half hour early for a potential line and in case they oversold their preorders or some s*** like that.